Old 02-13-2015, 01:56 AM   #26
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Episode 6:

Quote:
CURRY COMPETITION IS SERIOUS BUSINESS
[1:17:16 PM] Kamenoha: writhes in hunger and pain
Spoiler: show
Aside from making me extra hungry when I have a stomachache, I liked this episode. Then again, what episodes have I not liked? The curry of doom made its appearance, as did more omnomnom stuff from Akagi. Also bahaha Nagato. I should make better posts but I'm terrible.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:21 AM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 03:

THAT WAS SOOOOOOOO SAAAAAAAAD! ;_;

And here I was earlier on in the episode cynically complaining to myself, "Knowing this show, none of the girls will ever die. " Man oh man was I proven wrong! And man was it sad! ;_;

I could discuss other things from this episode, but really all I want to talk about is Kisaragi's death. And there's also the fact that I'm like four weeks late to the party, so you're probably not interested in hearing my thoughts on much of anything else. ^^; So let's talk Kisaragi, her sinking, and what I think this may mean for the anime going forward.

For starters, it's clear now that the girls do not enjoy 100% guarantees against death. Granted, Kisaragi was the friend of a friend of the main character's, by no means a major character herself. So it may yet be premature to think that any of the major ship girls will die as the series progresses. (Though more on that later.) But even if Kisaragi ends up being the only casualty in thirteen episodes, for the remainder of the season we're going to always be wondering at the backs of our minds if a ship girl is about to die in this latest sortie. That alone is welcome emotion in a series meant to be both exciting and tragic, never mind one that is ostensibly about war.

Second, it seems likely that Kisaragi's death will have an impact on Mutsuki which in turn will ripple over to Fubuki. What that impact is remains to be seen.

Third, given the attention to detail that was given to Kisaragi's sinking -- and in particular how she stretched out her arm at the sunlit surface of the sea above -- I can't help but to feel that the anime might be deciding to explore the "Abyssals = sunken KanMusus" theory. It's not the safest bet in the world right now, but I'd still say the odds are pretty decent that we're going to see Abyssal-Kisaragi down the road. Mutsuki will confront her, there'll be combat, and (knowing stories like this one) the girls will end up succeeding in defeating Abyssal-Kisaragi and restoring her to her original form and senses.

Fourth, even before we saw Kisaragi's sinking, I had gotten the feeling from Akagi's scene with Fubuki at the training grounds that Akagi might be planned to die in this series. Her words to Fubuki about not keeping your thoughts to yourself lest your loved ones perish in combat before you get the chance to relay them ... it obviously makes a lot of sense once you see what ends up happening to Kisaragi, but even after that I still felt what I had felt when first seeing Akagi's scene: that the words were foreshadowing Akagi's own death and Fubuki's own failure to fully convey everything to Akagi. That stated, a big wrench in this theory is the fact that, duh, Fubuki did then go on to tell Akagi about how much she admires her and that she hopes to one day fight alongside her. So ... yeah. ^^; Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here with the Akagi-will-die-in-this-series theory. We'll see.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 AM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 04:

BURNING LOVE! Episode 04 provides an entertaining if curious contrast to the serious-times drama with which the previous episode ended. We don't depart from the topic of Kisaragi's death entirely -- it both opens and closes the episode, with Fubuki confronting a Mutsuki who is in denial right on up until the episode's end -- but for the majority of the episode we have fun with the Four Kongou Sisters.

That was one of several surprises for me: that the four Kongou-class battleships of Kantai Collection fame are collectively known as the Kongou Sisters. I have seen plenty of fanart that puts all four of them together, but I have seen much, much more fanart that treats Kongou, Haruna, and even Kirishima separately. (Poor Hiei!) I always thought of them as besties or simply squadmates who got along. I never thought of them as family. So that was a welcome and interesting surprise, to see the younger three all referring to Kongou as Onee-sama and to hear them introduce and reintroduce and reintroduce themselves time and again as the Kongou Sisters.

Maybe they're not actually sister sisters, but are instead just such close friends that they call one another sister. I dunno. I'm still learning about this franchise. In the end, though, I guess all that matters is this: I didn't realize just how much the younger three celebrate Kongou, just how loyal they are towards her despite her eccentric behavior, or even just how much they share in Kongou's silly nature. Even the serious meganekko of the group, Kirishima, is not immune to the silliness as shown in the scene where she attempts to spy on two girls in plain sight from only two feet away.

Kongou was fun. A bit spastic, but fun. I'd describe her as one-half Nyarlko-level spastic. I found it not only tolerable but, as I just said, even a bit fun. While I'm not sure how I would feel about having this particular personality type be the star of the show, having such fun with Kongou does make me wish we could've had an adaptation of a light novel or manga starring her instead of one starring a relative nobody.

Then again, the revelation that the four Kongou Sisters are almost inseparable suggests that it might've been difficult to write for Kongou while having to have Haruna, Kirishima, and Hiei tagging along at almost all times. How do you prevent the gag from getting old? Because while Episode 04 was fun, I don't think that ten copies of Episode 04 back to back would've been fun. That's kind of the problem, I guess: Kongou is fun for all in small doses but it takes a special sort of person to want her on camera 24/7.

Not too much else to say. Other, I guess, than pointing out that this episode also offered Shimakaze fans some fan service in the sense of letting Shimakaze have tons of screen time. It still wasn't anything compared with the amount of screen time that Kongou had, but it was still something.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #29
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Episode 7:

This one was really good and fun to watch from start to finish. Everything was clicking really well from the beginning, and the entire episode kept a nice amount of tension in it, which is good for a more combat based episode. And the parts that were just setting up the combat were still great. Kaga and Zuikaku were both especially awesome. If the rest of the show keeps up to par with this and Episode 6, it'll be a pretty great way to finish xd.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #30
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Episode 7!

This wasn't a bad episode. It wasn't the constant funfest the past few episodes were, but it was an alright action episode. No needless boo-hooing either, which is a plus. Everyone grows, and it's everyone we give a damn about.

If there's one thing that bugged me about the episode, it's this: The lip synching with the CGI models and the voices are really off. It's a small thing, but when I saw it, I started to kind of freak out that my file's sound might be messed up.

Also for those of you who love your Abyssals, here's a cute MMD with them.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 05:

This was an enjoyable episode. It also saw a return to real plot advancement. The torpedo squadrons of lolis are disbanded and the girls are individually reassigned to new fleets mobile units. It isn't just the torpedo lolis either: even the massive fleets see their membership shuffled around to form the new mobile units the Admiral has conceived of. What we ultimately get is the author's personal "heartcanon" for who Fubuki would be on a team with: Kaga (her rival in love for Akagi's affections), Kongou (her senpai), Zuikaku (an interesting new face), and finally the duo of Ooi (always crushing on Kitakami) and Kitakami. Meet Mobile Unit Number 5!

The decision to make Fubuki the flagship of Mobile Unit Number 5 is of course rather silly seeing as (IRL) she's just a destroyer and (in universe) she's an inexperienced loli who is still figuring everything out. But the writer does a good job of making it work. I'm able to not only see Fubuki's coronation coming but accept it as well.

I don't know much about Zuikaku or her older sister Shoukaku. The latter I am ever so slightly more familiar with since I have seen Shoukaku in a doujin here or there whereas Zuikaku I think I've seen a grand total of one time prior to this series. But now here we are, given an opportunity to get to know Zuikaku better. I welcome it.

It's interesting to see the author (and perhaps others in the fandom as well, or even DMM!) writing it such that shipgirls of a particular class (e.g. aircraft carrier) are sorted into different divisions based on what divisions they were actually in in WW2 -- and that this then has social consequences. So for example, Kaga is a Grade 1 aircraft carrier since she was in the 1st Carrier Division historically whereas Zuikaku is a Grade 5 aircraft carrier -- or so we'd be led to believe by Kaga -- because she was in the 5th Carrier Division. The Zuikaku, while an aircraft carrier, was never as important to the Japanese war machine (at least not in the eyes of the admirals) as the Kaga was. And so in KanColle, what we get is Kaga feeling like she is above riffraff like Zuikaku and simultaneously Zuikaku being pissed off at (and perhaps also a little jealous of) Kaga for how Kaga looks down on the aircraft carriers beneath 1st Division. Zuikaku has something to prove to Kaga -- that just because she's a 5th Division vessel it doesn't mean she's Grade 5. "I'm every bit as good an aircraft carrier as you are, Kaga -- maybe even more so!" That's the sort of thing you can hear Zuikaku thinking.

Would be kind of funny if Akagi (Kaga's peaceful counterpart), Shoukaku (Zuikaku's peaceful countepart), and Haruna (Kongou's peaceful{?} counterpart) were all in a mobile unit together.

I'm glad to be done with the torpedo squadron days. I did not think that that would happen so soon. I figured we would be stuck there for at least the entirety of a thirteen-episode first season, and that it wouldn't be until around that point in the manga -- end of Volume 4, start of Volume 5 -- that we'd be reaching the point where the lolis go their separate ways and Fubuki teams up with other shipgirls. For us to have gotten there as early as Episode 05 is a welcome surprise. No offense to the lolis, but they were just plain nobodies. :\ Fubuki's still a nobody. The fun factor suffered for a lack of attention on bigger fan favorites. Now that Fubuki's been assigned to the same team as Kaga and Kongou -- two of the biggest players in the fandom -- as well as the interesting Zuikaku, I feel like things will start to pick up.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 06:

If Episode 05 was cake, Episode 06 was icing. They are two sides of the same coin. Or perhaps rather than saying that, I should say that they are two different approaches to the same goal of entertainment. Episode 05 focuses on plot development and takes a more serious approach to the franchise. Episode 06 meanwhile focuses on humor and the redelivery of signature character attributes that fans are already acquainted with.

If I were to put it simply, Episode 06 was the "What if Kantai Collection: the Anime were to KanColle what Carnival Phantasm is to the Nasuverse?" episode. It was a Carnival Phantasm episode. It fit right in there with the Fuyuki City Boxcar Race episode and the Saber as a bar maid cafe maid episode.

And so I approach Episode 06 from two different directions. From the direction of wanting to see a plot-heavy, character development-heavy, dramatic episode, Episode 06 is definitely what many have called it: a filler. But from the direction of wanting to see familiar characters in humorous situations, of wanting to see how the proverbial caveman would react to 21st-century technology, then Episode 06 was fanservice at its best.

While watching it, I mostly -- on both the subconscious and conscious levels -- approached the episode as I would an episode of Carnival Phantasm.

I really enjoyed it.

You know me: I don't tend to like lolis. Children can be fine, from Clannad's Ushio to Usagi Drop's Rin, but lolis -- those fictitious minors who are in-your-face there to be pure fanservice for lolikon viewers -- tend to be a repellant for me. So when this episode opened up and I saw that it was going to be a) a filler episode that has absolutely nothing to do with the events or characters of Episode 05 and b) an episode starring a team of nothing but lolis, you can imagine that I was bracing myself for impact with Shit Mountain.

But you know something? The girls were good. Maybe not quite great, but good. I feel like there's a function which explores the relationship between how frequently a character trait is shoved down our throats and how entertaining we find it to be:

(click for full size)

As a character's trait is introduced to us, our enjoyment approaches a peak. But when you shove the trait in our faces too much, enjoyment tapers off. However, something strange happens before all is said and done: if you keep on shoving the trait in our face, sometimes the enjoyment will actually creep back up a little bit. It'll never quite recover to max enjoyment levels, but it won't be stuck in the depths of the valleys on that graph either. The over-the-top showcasing of the trait becomes charming in a sense. You start to smile rather than grimace each time it's brought back up again. It's as though the writers are fully aware of just how silly it is to have a character repeat her signature lines again and again and yet they keep on doing it precisely because it would be funny to do so. Now, if you keep this shit up, you taper off and plummet on down towards zero, just as my line graph depicts. You can't shove "DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU"s in our face 24/7 and expect us to not start to hate them. But Episode 06 of KanColle pulls off that curious second peak of entertainment value very well. Akatsuki's "lady" lines are the foremost example that comes to mind. Second up is Hibiki with her Russian catchphrase "хорошо" ("horosho"). Even Inazuma and Ikazuchi have some aspects of this "drilled into the ground" catchphrase or personality gimmick. But it all works very well. Indeed, it feels so much like what we saw in Carnival Phantasm.

I also enjoyed what the episode did with the non-loli characters. Akagi's love of curry, Ashigara's fear of becoming an old maid, and Kongou's gaijin exuberance were amongst the many character traits we saw on display this episode. For fans who wanted the KanColle anime to be more like Carnival Phantasm, this was exactly what the doctor ordered: getting to see their favorite shipgirls displaying their recognizable personalities amidst a scenario they would ordinarily never mind themselves in. For this viewer, who admittedly is still learning a lot about the KanMusus and their personalities, Episode 06 would not have fared very well as a series premiere. But as the sixth episode in a show that has already allocated a hundred minutes prior to establishing many of the girls' personality traits, this episode worked just fine.

My only regret is that the writers didn't take the opportunity of a curry contest -- something which could have easily had ten or more teams quickly written in and just as quickly written out -- to introduce more of the franchise's most famous or popular KanMusus to the viewers. We still haven't met Tenryuu or Tatsuta. We still haven't met Musashi. We still haven't met Yamato. And she's shown in the OP credits too! Yamato I can believe they're saving for a later, plot-relevant reveal, but it's strange that we still haven't seen girls like Tenryuu or Musashi yet. Still, the writers did show a willingness to spotlight some of the girls who've been introduced but, as of 06, poorly fleshed out to the audience. Kaga gets some reinforcement of her feelings towards Akagi here, and Shoukaku gets some reinforcement of her ladylike, maidenlike image what with the wardrobe malfunction and her reaction to it. Even Nagato gets a little something via Mutsu's revelation that Nagato only passed the lolis' curry entry over Ashigara's because Nagato can't tolerate spicy foods. While stuff like this may make it silly to say that Episode 06 didn't feature any character development at all in it, I think viewers will understand me when I say that 05-type episodes are the ones with most of the character development whereas 06-type episodes mostly offer gags that rely on the audience already being familiar with the characters. Anything you happen to learn from a 06-style episode, like me learning Nagato can't tolerate spicy foods, is fortunate but wasn't likely intended to be educational.

In the end, the question of whether you wanted the KanColle anime to be more like Episode 05 or more like Episode 06 is going to boil down to personal preference. I enjoyed both episodes, but it's 05 that I came into this series hoping for and it's 05 that I'd like to see more of. 06 is great, especially if you're a veteran fan, but it isn't the sort of thing that works well as a foundation for a series imo. Like, you wouldn't normally make Carnival Phantasm without having made Fate/stay night and Tsukihime television productions first. You could, but like, you'd risk leaving a lot of people out of the loop. You could do the same exact thing with a Touhou anime or a KanColle anime, yes, but I feel like the best approach is to give the Epic Serious Times treatment first, laying the foundation for TV watchers, and to then have fun with the parody shows.

Unfortunately, Diomedea (and possibly the original author of the manga as well, but since Diomedea is the one making this television production I am going to lay the blame mostly at their feet) doesn't seem able to choose between a 05-style series and a 06-style series and so, as a consequence, is trying to please everyone by alternating between the two approaches. 03 and 05 were mostly plot-heavy, while 04 and 06 were mostly silly. 04 still had some plot relevance, don't get me wrong, and every episode has had some comedy in it, not just 06, but the differences are clear. And I have to say that I think it hurts the overall integrity of Kantai Collection: the Anime. Diomedea needed to choose between A or B and instead they've tried to have both. The result is simultaneiously an A-style anime that is weakened by too many B-style episodes soaking up airtime and a B-style anime that is weakened by too many A-style episodes trying to be super serious. I dunno. Some series do this A-'n'-B style of storytelling and make it work, but I think it's a very poor choice for a seminal anime like this one. Like ... try to imagine if Fate/Zero had been 50% Fate/Zero and 50% Carnival Phantasm. (Or you can put Carnival Phantasm in the driver's seat and ask that very same 50-50 question.) It would've sucked, right? I'm not saying that Kantai Collection: the Anime flat out sucks, but ... I am saying that I wish they would've gone for a different storytelling approach to the one they did opt for.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Also for those of you who love your Abyssals, here's a cute MMD with them.
The difference in song choice perfectly sums up the difference between the Abyssals (and/or their fans' sentiments towards them) and the Imperial Japanese Fleet (and/or their fans' sentiments towards them).

I don't recognize the second OP or I'd link it too, but obligatory link to Dango Daikazoku for those who may have no idea what the Abyssal MMD's visuals were based on nor where the song came from. ("The Big Dango Family" is a fictional children's television program that was watched by Furukawa Nagisa in the Key classic Clannad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkbeat View Post
Maybe I'm overanalyzing it, but the show's been pretty good about implementing a contrast between the majority of the fleet girls and: (Episode 06)

Nagato. It's pretty clear she's stressed about the situation their in, and with the threat of the Abyssals it's clear why. She, and probably Akagi, seem to be the only ones who we've seen enough from to determine they actually understand the gravity of the situation they're in.
I haven't really interpreted it that way myself, but that may be because we each bring to the table our own hopes for and expectations of this series. It may also just be because there hasn't been enough plot or character development yet to really rule in or rule out either of our two interpretations. But as for me ...

I feel like all of the girls are aware of the seriousness of the war. It's just that most of the girls are depicted like WW2-era ensigns and lieutenants whereas Nagato is the only one so far who has been depicted as the equivalent of a WW2-era admiral. (I know, I know: there's only the one admiral, "the Admiral," but you know what I mean. ) Nagato approaches war as both tactician and strategist, something that the girls rarely do in their off hours. She takes her work very seriously and, as far as we have been shown, doesn't really have "off hours" to speak of. But even in real-life WW2, the officers would, in between sorties, have fun at base playing cards, telling stories, etc. It wasn't like they didn't know there was a war happening on the outside. It's just ... war happens "in the theatre," so to speak, while when you're at home in the safety of your base you kind of want to forget about all of that and just unwind.

The US-Japan conflict in WW2 is rare amongst those in world history in that neither party suffered a land invasion and thus neither country's memory of the war is colored by the dire seriousness that only a full-scale invasion can bring. It won't be until we start seeing more and more of the IJN ships sinking, if at all we indeed get to this season, that we'll start to see Fubuki and the others taking this conflict more seriously even in their offshore hours. Until then, I'd expect to see their disconnect between the war on the "outside" and fun 'n' games on the "inside" to continue.

... I dunno ... maybe I have, without realizing it, a) just agreed with your position and b) proven it as well. ^^; I'm not sure I do though. When I go back and re-read what you wrote, I get the feeling like you're saying that only Nagato takes the war seriously and that all of the other girls are behaving like there isn't even a war on at all, they're just so blissfully unaware. And I ... I guess I've halfway restated that in my own words? But I think the subtle differences matter. Because I don't agree that Fubuki & Loli Co. are living life in blissful ignorance. I feel like ... like to whatever extent that they are, it's the same extent that real life lower-ranking officers in WW2 did.

Caught up on everyone's posts. Now to watch Episode 07!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #34
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Episode 7:
WO-KYUUUUUUUUUU! *bombarded by hell divers*
So what we got to see there was a Flagship Wo-Class Aircraft Carrier (the one with the yellow eyes), who's a lot stronger than the usual one. This episode was pretty nice with all the development and all, especially that relationship between Kaga and Zuikaku. But really, aside from that, I don't have much else to say.

Episode 8:
"I'M NOT A HOTEL!" *shot*
So yeah, Yamato uses A LOT of resources, way way more than Akagi, in fact. Like, more than triple Akagi's (and almost triple Nagato and Mutsu's) amount for a full resupply. The meme with Akagi being a big eater is primarily due to many admirals getting her early in the game, when resources aren't as bountiful yet. Yamato's more notorious for being REALLY hard to construct along with her sister ship, Musashi (who I do not believe has appeared yet), as well as the whole hotel thing which was explained in the episode.

Back to the episode though. BEACH EPISODE. Also Nagamon. That was pretty silly. Gadangit Mutsu. And that aside, I guess I'm just left wondering what the heck would happen if those supply lines were restored.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 07:

So it begins.

Episode 07 sees the plot escalating as Nagato informs Fubuki that the Abyssal Fleet seems to be acutely aware of what the Admiral's strategy is for the war, what his plans are for the most recent missions, etc. Kaga becomes seriously injured, there are no more insta-heal buckets, and Shoukaku and Zuikaku nearly lose their lives. It's great, exciting stuff.

Episode 07 also sees advancement on the "What exactly are the Abyssals?" front. It is all but confirmed by the events of Episode 07 that the Abyssals, to at least some degree, consist of fallen shipgirls -- and that Kisaragi, the latest shipgirl to have fallen, is more than likely the source of the Abyssals' knowledge on the Admiral's plans. Whether this will be DMM canon or whether it only applies to the anime remains to be seen, but it's sure to be popular with many fans seeing as it's what a large contingent of the fanbase has already assumed and been running with for years.

The episode had some wonderful character development / revelations. I especially liked the scene pictured above where Shoukaku talks with Zuikaku before Mobile Unit No.5 deploys. It reveals a side of Shoukaku that is somewhat more ... for lack of a better word, sinister than we had been led to believe she is. ^^; She reveals a guilty delight in the fact that Kaga has been injured and has to sit out this fight, sharing in her younger sister's desire to show the fleet just what Division 5 aircraft carriers are capable of.

The scenes with Kaga and Zuikaku -- both pre-OP and post-OP -- are great as well. Perhaps cliche, sure, but really well done in my opinion. I feel like in the span of just two episodes (05 and 07) we already have a great feel for what sort of person Zuikaku is. The same cannot be said for Poi Girl and most of the other girls Fubuki was saddled with in the early episodes.

The episode also featured some really pretty visuals. The CG bits were jarring in part because of just how great the hand-drawn bits were. From Shoukaku's gaze in a climactic scene of the episode to the blue-eyed Wo-class fighter, the visuals were really top notch when Diomedea wanted them to be.

I'm not really sure what to make of the enigmatic yellow-eyed Wo-class girl. Is she Kisaragi? Is she a jumble of shipgirl parts, some of which came from Kisaragi? Is she someone (or a mix of someones) completely different? No idea. One of the things that makes it tough to tell is that, as far as I can tell from the wiki, Abyssals' classes do not always match their theorized KanMusu counterparts'. So like, you can have an Abyssal destroyer who was originally a cruiser. Or you can have an Abyssal island who was originally an aircraft carrier.

One of the most striking parts of the episode was when Fubuki fired a torpedo straight at the Wo-class's face, the Wo-class lost an eye (aww ), and then ... we see her face and it's this. O_o (See above.) It's like a combination between the broken face of a ceramic or porcelain doll and the look of the Terminators from James Cameron's Terminator film franchise. Very eerie to see that yellow light emanating from behind the Wo-class's face. Very cool-looking but very scary-looking at the same time.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. Everything that surprised me I enjoyed. And everything that didn't surprise me I also enjoyed. I basically won all around. While the title for Episode 08 suggests a return to comic filler, I'm hoping to be proven wrong and to find that Episode 08 advances the main plot every bit as much as 07 did.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #36
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Kind of late, considering it's about time for episode 9, but I watched 8!

Episode 8 spoilers:

This was a nice episode. I was afraid most of the time that Yamato would end up dieing at the end of the episode or next episode. The episode seemed like a huge death flag. Like Yamato would end up sinking, and we'd have two episodes of annoying "SHE DIED BECAUSE OF ME!" drama from Fubuki. Crossing my fingers on that not happening.

Yamato and Nagato had some nice development. Actually I can't say I really have any issues with the episode besides the annoying yuri couple. Kinda wish they'd join someone else.

Next episode....is about Poi apparently. Looks like we're back to the first couple of episodes in quality for next week. *sigh*
Old 03-05-2015, 12:29 AM   #37
Sparkbeat

Episode 9:

When you're less than 1:30 in and there's already been a Khorosho and Poi, you know it's gonna be a good one xd

Episode 6 is still probably my favorite episode thus far, but this one's up there. I think I've kinda acknowledged the show's going for a more episodic style, so that definitely helps a lot of aspects, since I can't fault them too much for not explaining certain things earlier. The first half was absolutely hilarious, especially Kongou, and the Akatsuki classers were amazing like always not bias. Then the complete 180 happened, and I think it was actually handled pretty well. There were a few awkward moments with Mutsuki, but then again, most scenes with her are awkward to me so eh. I honestly didn't expect any of the twists, and while the notebook thing kiiiiinda completely negates the admiral not being there (Speaking in terms of this episode alone, since there'll probably be some crunch time decision in future episodes the notebook doesn't cover) I can't be too mad over it since him having a notebook makes logical sense. I'd have just rather have seen what'd happen with Nagato running the show. But yeah, good stuff!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:18 AM   #38
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
So I binge watched the anime over the last two days and my thoughts are in the spoiler below!

Overall I think that this anime is really meant for people who are already involved in KanColle. This isn't going to convince anyone to really get into the franchise because its not handled very well, but its still really enjoyable for me. Anime always has this quality of being able to convey characters in a way that makes them seem more real, and I think that the anime has done a fantastic job of doing this, for me at least.

Right now, my favorite episode is Episode 6. After MCA I've kinda come to terms with the fact that I will pretty much always enjoy happier animes more than heart wrenching ones. Not that those aren't good. Madoka is still one of my favorites even though it was basically the equivalent of taking a torpedo to the stomach every episode. But I think in a lot of ways the characters in Madoka were kinda set up for that ending while I don't really see it in the KanColle girls. Part of that is, I think for me, playing the game has kinda painted what I want from the anime. I want to see these character's personalities and quirks played out in front of me. So seeing, for example, the Akatsuki sisters is enjoyable for me because their quirks are really cute and seeing the bond they share is heart-warming. Kongou, Nagato, and Yamato have also been really good and I'd love to see more of them. I WANT to see more of them and their quirks. So its really endearing some characters to me.

At the same time, I also like the battles even though they are in CG, because at the core of this, its still a war. But if I had a choice between the darker, more tragic "war" anime and the funner, more fanservicey "Carnival Phantasm" anime, I'd choose the latter. I think the former would be a better anime, but its really a FSN/FHA situation for me again. There really isn't a doubt in my mind that Fate/Stay Night was the better VN, but Fate/Hollow Ataraxia was also quite enjoyable. Actually this anime is a lot like HA now that I think about it.

I'm still waiting on my KanWaifu to show up, and I'm super surprised that Tenryuu hasn't show up at all. I'm also surprised that we haven't seen a single indication that the submarines even exist! This bugs me. lol

Anyways, Episode 9:

This was a pretty enjoyable episode for me. I liked how the Kai Ni for Yuudachi was handled and for the first time in this anime really I kinda got a feel for Yuudachi's character. Yuudachi, before this episode, was really forgettable for me because she always felt like a third whell in the Mutsuki / Fubuki relationship (and this was kinda reinforced by her not really showing up after Torpedo Squadron 3 was disbanded), but I liked how they did this and I liked that it was her, a mostly forgotten character.

The stuff in the factory was pretty hilarious. Loved the scenes with Yuubari (I think its Yuubari and yes this is totally going into my headcannon) and Kongou. Kongou stop being dirty, you're corrupting the destroyers! x3

The scene was Kongou and Fubuki was really touching for me. I think what got me was her saying "Quiet, please" in English. Like I don't know why but I always get the impression from Kongou that the stuff she chooses to say in English is important. Well, not always, but that's what I think, and so I think her saying seriously, "Alright Heie, I get you are being silly but this is really not the time for that." hit on a positive chord for me. Like everything else about that part with Fubuki being sent back to the Naval District was odd but that was quite nice.

Of course we can't forget about the PLOT and honestly I love the 180, because its super surprising. I didn't expect that the Admiral disappearing would ever happen, and I think its because the anime has kinda protrayed him to be in a seat of absolute authority. I don't want to say a god, but something along the lines of a king. It's actually been a bit off putting for me. I expected some of the characters like Nagato to be a lot more autonomous, and in some aspects they are, but in others I don't like the almost absolute obedience. It doesn't really reinforce in my eyes that these girls aren't just weapons or tools but people too. You get that interaction with Nagato and the others but the Admiral...I don't know.

Which brings me to the notebook. It's not illogical to me, but in another aspect I don't like it existed. I would have rather that this Admiral had just been gone, and stayed gone. I would have loved to have seen that Nagato had taken charge to continue the offensive. I would have loved to see more autonomy from her. Instead we get a notebook. I'm just hoping its a fabrication by Nagato in an attempt to keep the morale of the other ship girls up (which really just solidifies my point about the absolute authority thing but also gives Nagato that autonomy I want so I'm so conflicted).

Overall, it was good. Probably in my top 5 episodes right now, and I'm looking forwards to where this takes us.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:17 AM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I'm also surprised that we haven't seen a single indication that
the submarines even exist!
This bugs me. lol
It is surprising that we haven't seen _______ yet.

(The subs.) One, this author clearly likes his lolis. Two, I-19 is rather popular from what I have observed; while not on the same level as Atago or Kaga, I-19 appears to be by far the most popular of the IJN lolita characters. For these two reasons, I would have expected at least Iku (I-19) to have shown up by now, if not the entire submarine squad. Who knows! Maybe they're saving them for later.

Or maybe the very existence of submarines would make difficult the writing of a mysterious fleet from the abyss ... ;o
Old 03-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #40
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

GUYS STOP REMINDING ME THAT I NEED TO WATCH EPISODE 9 STILL.

Anyhoo, onto the matter of "Still no [REDACTED]"

I would actually very much like I-19 to appear, although I think that may quickly devolve into a matter of fanservice and stuff if you know what I mean.

Also obligatory "Danbooru may or may not be NSFW especially when talking about [REDACTED]"

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 03-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #41
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I thought the school swimsuit squad.....I mean "submarines" were characters who were released later or something. Some characters didn't have fanart until a bit later in the whole Kancolle craze, and I think I-19 was one of them. Same with the ever-lovely Suzuya and the ever-popular Amatsukaze. I assumed this anime was made about "1st gen" characters, meaning newer additions wouldn't be part of the show. Of course I don't know shit, so my word isn't exactly reliable.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #42
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I haven't been talking about this much, but I am watching. Episode 09 once again confirms Kongou is best girl:

Oh, Kongou. You're an idiot but adorable.

The real reason I'm here though is to talk about something that specifically bothers me about the developments in 09. By the end of the episode I was literally screaming "noooo" and here's why:

The idea of someone's personality changing due to "remodeling" does not sit well with me at all. It completely takes me out of the desired immersion to see these girls as people I can relate to rather than just "anthropomorphized ships". They become robots rather than humans, easily programmed to behave in a different way. Anyone who remembers my experience with Chobits/robot romance stories knows how much I despise that aspect as it undermines the validity of any real development/emotions. Up to now I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt and try to connect with these characters, but now I'll always wonder how much of their action is dictated by their warship status/outside influence rather than coming from the human component.

I realize I'm looking at it from the worst angle, but this is a pet peeve that really gets on my nerves whenever it comes up in fiction. The change in Yuudachi's character from before and after wasn't actually all that dramatic - but just the fact the writers felt the need to point out the difference instantly sets off alarm bells in my mind. Any suggestion that she's been forcibly altered sours my impression immensely. While I've spoken to someone who plays the game and understand the mechanics behind it/alternative view that it represents "maturing/growing up" (and that other Kanmusu's transformations in disposition aren't as drastic), I still don't like how it reinforces the notion that one's nature is reflective of appearance. A "makeover" essentially equates to a difference in temperament, and that disappoints me for both the female stereotype and general implications. It's a cheap method that makes the progress feel shallow.

It's a shame since aside from that, the episode was really good in terms of drama and character development. We have Kongou showing a tender moment in her own way, Mutsuki confessing how she took heart from Fubuki's strength, Fubuki feeling understandably frustrated by being left behind and presumably a failure but overcoming it to cheer on Yuudachi, who's rising to her responsibility (although again the reference to "a torpedo girl's soul" sends me mixed messages) - revealed to also be a result of Fubuki's presence. It all comes together nicely and gives insight into each of the characters and their deepening relationships. It feels natural and believable, showing they're more than just caricatures and catchphrases... Until it comes right back to "YOU MUST BE REMODELED" and I slam my face on the table again.

Up to this point/after episode 03, I feel the show has been doing a pretty good job at proving these girls are human while balancing their game/historical roots. I really liked episode 08 which, for a beach ep, decided to focus on Yamato's story, which was endearing and easy to empathize with. (The plots were nice too. *shot* Also Nagato and the squirrel. <3) The solution to the problem was sweet, although lol at her weight genuinely being an issue. I later read about how the real Yamato had unusually luxurious living conditions, which explained the "hotel" joke. Little historical trivia and references like that such as translating "resting at the docks" to "bathing in hot springs" I find cute and clever. But the way "remodeling" is handled tips too far into the realm of technology for me. Like Blaze, I want to see these girls as more than just weapons or tools. It's gonna be hard after this though, especially depending on how Fubuki's modification will go. Hoping she won't follow the same formula as Yuudachi. Even if I didn't care much for Yuudachi before, I didn't want to see her change without warning just because she grew cat ears in her hair....

At least she still says "poi". Joy. (Although tbf the scene where she answers "POI" in answer to Fubuki's "OI" was the first time I thought a catchphrase worked in well.)

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 03-05-2015 at 06:19 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #43
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Fun fact poi:
Yuudachi's ear-flap hair is meant to reference her history as the "ferocious hound" of the Third Battle of the Solomons or moreso "The Nightmare of Solomon", where she continued fighting despite her disabled engines. Her personality change sort of reflects this in that she's much more trigger-happy with sorties in general due to that incident. By the way, hammocks make the best sails, even if they're white and are totally similar to white flags of surrender.

Also, her sister ship, Shigure (who hasn't appeared in the anime as far as I remember) has a similar hairstyle in her Kai Ni form, except her moniker is the "faithful hound", being one of the ships that was able to flee from a different battle (Battle of Leyte Gulf)

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 03-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #44
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I was considering giving the game a shot. Though you have to really jump through some hoops to get to play it. Gotta love jingoistic Japan to the max.

Anyway, episode 9 stuff!

This episode was actually quite a surprise in several areas. In one, Yuudachi suddenly becomes more appealing as a character. Hell, I even have her name memorized! That actually says a lot. Even more surprising is the fact that it had "i'm not good enough" drama handled well! Hard to believe, right? Usually drama in shows nowadays is incredibly overdramatic, but this wasn't. Fubuki didn't require an obnoxious scream fit and slap to get her to stop her shit, and Fubuki didn't attention whore her problem to everyone. She just stewed about it intenrally until Kongou's bosom welcomed her tears, and she got well almost on her own after crying it out. It was...actually pretty good.

If I did have a problem, it was the announcement that Fubuki was getting upgraded. I mean....I'm actually kind of looking forward to her getting upgraded, but it was the moment they announced it that seemed inappropriate. They're talking about the plans for the ships, and trying to do things with the admiral missing, but then they're like "Oh, and just as important as a missing admiral is Fubuki's promotion!".
Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #45
Sparkbeat

>Last few moments of the Ep 9

Yeah, the timing was definitely awkward, but what was a bit more glaring for me was just the animation. I don't know whether they were trying to make the reveal seem more dramatic or whether it was supposed to be hilarious just for being there, but it was definitely the latter for me. It was just so over the top in a hysterical way.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #46
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Episode 10:
So another training episode, with a notable change in Fubuki's personality even before remodelling. I'm unsure of what to think really. Aside from...

Regarding what will most likely happen in the next episode, and seriously do not open this if you're at least if you remember things about WWII and its turning points:
Operation MI refers to Midway Island. Make what you will of that. ;;
My alarm bells are screaming out to me.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 03-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #47
Sparkbeat

Episode 10: Hope you enjoy rambling

.................meeeeeeeeeeeeh

It started off well enough, really well in fact. The opening scenes were entertaining, had Inazuma, and the dialogue between Mutsu and Nagato was great. Heck, while Fubuki did start to act pretty differently, it didn't feel very out of place for me considering how much a the chance at a remodel meant to her. The sortie (or whatever it technically was) was well done, and while I'm normally annoyed by overemotional!Mutsuki, in the bath scene it really didn't bother me. It felt like a real, natural, and reasonable reaction. Also hilarious how Sendai has gone from NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT I LIKE NIGHT NIGHT BATTLE! to some sort of sage. An obvious one, but one nonetheless.

Aaaaand after this scene, everything goes to pretty much shit for a while until Fubuki gets remodeled and they decide to do what they do best imo: comedy. But anyways, the entire dream of the commander wanting to marry Fubuki...actually just makes so many things laughable. I get that it's a game mechanic. I get it's what a good amount of players probably do. But the problem with it here is that is is not the game. This is a show, where things are supposed to hold more weight to tell a successful narrative. I mean, a successful narrative may just not be what they're going for since through the entire run they've been having an identity crisis regarding what kind of show this is. The Commander is not us. The Commander is a character. Yeah, we're "supposed" to project ourselves into his shoes, and that probably explains why Fubuki's been so bland, so that we can imagine whoever our favorite kanmusu is in her place. But at this point, I just fucking laugh at the fact this guy's a freaking admiral. I would've been alright with some joke like, "It's because Fubuki Kai Ni has some pretty awesome stats," since at least that's a legitimate reason. But nope, this is the guy who had a dream where he married Fubuki, so now he went and brought in Fubuki and is possibly jeopardizing the lives of some of the characters in the narrative because he wanted his waifu to be the hero. This is ok in a game setting if you want to do this because it's a game, it's for your own personal enjoyment. This is supposed to be a story, where things have weight. This scene literally just makes everything hilariously bad, or just flat out hilarious. This is just me rambling, and I've had a bunch more thoughts on this that are probable a bit more well thought out that just popped into my head for a moment or two before vanishing, but I cannot stress enough how bad this is, to me at least. Well, at least now when Nagato asks, "Why Fubuki?" we have the wonderful answer of, "The brilliant leader you're so keen on saving and who makes absolutely amazing strategies wants to bang her." Should've just kept him absolutely faceless, honestly. Then we can still keep up the "projecting ourselves into him thing" as legitimate. Since this pretty much obliterates any aspect of that.

Kitakami + Ooi scene was great.

And then we get another ugh thing, but not nearly as ugh as the previous. The entire test from Kaga and Akagi was just waaaay to overly dramatic. It's something this show tends to do a lot, but I thought they'd finally gotten it right after Episode 9 handled it so well. Guess I was wrong. I get it's supposed to be a strong will character moment for Fubuki, but it's kinda already been established that she's like that. I feel like it still would have been a tad much, but very reasonable, if Mutsuki just hadn't been there. She's just so...annoying. They've maybe had three-five scenes with her where she's actually reasonably emotional or involved in a good way, like her talk with Fubuki in Episode 9 and her...other talk with Fubuki in the bath of this episode. The rest of the time she's just been really intolerable.

At least Fubuki's remodeling scene was pretty hilarious.

My only other gripe is a more minor one, but I'm kinda disappointed by the lack of Zuikaku, since she's definitely been one of my favorites of the anime. Luckily, Poi was pretty fun, and the Akatsuki class got some screen time.

As for next episode, like Kamen said, don't open unless you know your WWII stuff. Also, possible spoilers for episode 11, so don't open if you don't want anything possibly spoiled.

More specifically Midway. If you don't know Midway, turn back now.

Hopefully they handle Akagi and Kaga's sinking well. I'm scared we're going to have another episode where an unhealthy amount of screen time will be spent poorly dealing with depressed Fubuki after she watches Akagi sink right in front of her while she's supposed to be protecting her. Please, oh please handle it well, because if not...ugh I don't really want to think about it.

...jeeze I really railed this one, and it sucks because I really like this anime when it's clicking.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #48
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 08:

What came as a pleasant surprise, Episode 08 turned out to be more of a continuation of the serious storytelling side of Kantai Collection: the Anime than the silly fun times side that the previewed title, "I am/This is not a hotel!", had made it sound like it'd be.

The episode both debuts and focuses on the flagship of the Imperial Japanese Navy, the Yamato. To the surprise of no one, here in the universe of Kantai Collection she is depicted as a Yamato Nadeshiko, the living embodiment of all things ideally Japanese feminine. Demure, a gracious hostess, soft spoken, beautiful. The name Yamato combines with the ship's status as flagship of the entire navy to result in a KanMusu who is, theoretically, "the best woman of all." Of course opinions will differ -- I personally found Yamato to be somewhat underwhelming -- but I think it's safe to say that all will agree that she's in the top quartile.

This episode focuses on the historical nickname given to the Yamato -- "the Yamato Hotel." The nickname originated from two sources. First, a chain of hotels in Japan-occupied China known as the Yamato Hotel. (Easy enough.) Second, the fact that the boat effectively served as a "hotel" for the visiting Japanese brass. She was always moored in the harbor, never deployed. (Or at least not until her first and final outing as Japan steadily began to lose the war to America.) She was said to have the best mess hall of any boat in the fleet, the best sleeping quarters, etc, etc. She was, in all senses, like a 4-star hotel for servicemen accustomed to less glamorous conditions on older or smaller vessels.

First, the KanMusu Yamato hates being referred to as a hotel. This comes across somewhat poorly in the anime, I have to say. :\ The "hotel" in question was clearly the island base, not the KanMusu herself, and when the girls say that it's like a hotel it's hard to believe that Yamato would mistake their discussion topic for herself. And it's difficult, maybe even impossible, for the anime to explore her nickname in a way that more clearly references Yamato herself. After all, you can't very well show girls spending the night at the Yamato, wining and dining inside of her, etc. That just wouldn't make any sort of sense in this universe. ^^; The hotel, in the world of the anime, has to exist outsie of the KanMusu herself. It presents a problem for the writers, but we stumble past it to the main focus of the episode.

Second, Fubuki embarks on a mission to get Yamato out of her moorings and onto the high seas. She believes strongly that every KanMusu dreams of being able to set sail and that Yamato is currently like a bird in a cage. And she's right, of course! But she doesn't realize that Yamato is being kept at the island specifically because:
  1. she consumes way too much fuel; and
  2. fuel and other supplies are currently lacking
It isn't until Fubuki witnesses Yamato's distressing appetite with her own two eyes that she realizes she has once again plowed ahead with a plan believing herself to be more knowledgeable than Nagato & Co. when in reality she's an ignorant little destroyer who doesn't understand the greater picture the way that Nagato & Co. do.

In the happy scene where Fubuki & Friends tow Yamato out to sea under their own power, I couldn't help but feel that Fubuki hadn't learned her lesson. Whether you three girls burn the fuel or Yamato does doesn't matter, Fubuki: in the end, it's still going to take x amount of fuel to move y amount of weight! -_-; The anime glosses over this detail and opts for a happy ending, but Fubuki's lack of understanding of basic physics still annoys me.

One of the episode's best scenes for me, however short, was the part where Kongou says "No problem desu! ^_^ ........ Maybe. >.>;" Just the way she says that "maybe" is so perfect. I must've rewatched it at least a half dozen times.

Another of the best scenes in the episode, this one somewhat longer, was the part where Nagato's soft, cute side is shown when she glomps the squirrel and babytalks to it. It may make more cynical viewers roll their eyes at what an obvious character trope this is -- hard-as-nails ice queen has a secret soft side and likes cute things -- but I guess I'm a sucker for it and I absolutely loved it. Recalls a similar character from an earlier tale.

All in all, I thought the episode was decent-good. It wasn't the greatest episode ever but it also wasn't a filler episode that wastes precious time before the season wraps up. We finally get to meet the legendary Yamato, the IJN's current lack of fuel and resources is re-referenced, and we press on.

On to Episode 09!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #49
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 09:

This episode was pretty great (for Kantai Collection). A fun first third, a character development second third, and a dramatic final third made for an episode that provided something for everyone. Let's dive right in, shall we?

I absolutely love the new Yuudachi. Old Yuudachi was annoying, a loli, and I'm not really crazy about the blonde hair emerald eyes combination. (Sorry, Nasu! :p) But Yuudachi Mk.II's personality mellows out slightly compared with her previous form's and Jesus Christ is she smoking hot. The red eyes go so well with her pale blonde hair, she's grown up now with the height and bust to match ... she's pretty great. :p Very beautiful, more endearing / less annoying than her previous form. A massive improvement.

I enjoyed the middle portion with Fubuki, where she is informed that the Admiral has disbanded Mobile Unit No.5 and wants her back at base immediately. Since practically the entire fleet is currently mobilized for the attack on the Abyssals' base, since Fubuki had been too, and since Fubuki is now being called back to base, the little destroyer can't help but to interpret the Admiral's orders as a sign that he has little confidence in her and/or that she's being punished for fucking up. Meanwhile Yuudachi Mk.II is promoted to join the 1st Division Fleet, the same fleet that Akagi is in. So basically Yuudachi has achieved what Fubuki has always dreamed of whereas Fubuki is now being told (she thinks) that she's the Fail Ship of the fleet. Heartbroken, she breaks down in Kongou's confused arms and weeps.

I also enjoyed the subsequent scene wherein Fubuki learns that she has been an inspiration not just to Mutsuki but to Yuudachi as well and that Yuudachi, who had felt left behind by girls like Fubuki, had been working her tail off every single morning to try and become a better shipgirl. This comforts Fubuki somewhat since she'd previously been confused as to why Yuudachi got an upgrade before Fubuki did. I like that Fubuki was able to be strong enough to put up a smiling face for Yuudachi, and I liked how Yuudachi handled it.

Finally we have the lol-predictable Abyssal attack against the IJN's home base. The episode's opening scene practically SCREAMS this development at us: "We have ~our entire fleet mobilized at this island right now, AND WE'VE PROBABLY RADIOED THIS DOCUMENT BACK TO THE ADMIRAL AS WELL." Geeeeee, I couldn't possibly wonder what might happen ... So yeah, the Abyssals obviously intercept this information and stage a preemptive strike against the IJN. "Destroy their base before they can destroy ours." Makes sense. And it works, too, because the Admiral is foolish enough to call the entire fleet back to base even though he knows full well that they won't make it in time. ~_~ If you've already lost your base, you may as well let your mobilized fleet take out their base too. Calling the KanMusus back was stupid: we've already established that the IJN doesn't have the resources to keep the war going for much longer, so how in the hell do you expect the girls to rebuild an entire naval base that has been ravaged by war when they've made zero territorial gains since then? C'mon, man. This admiral deserves to lose. (Go Team Abyssals!)

Of course, I imagine that it will be revealed in the future (when the Admiral resurfaces) that he deliberately mobilized his entire fleet all along to lure the Abyssals into attacking the home base, and that he did this to try and find out where the information leak is. That doesn't change the fact that he's still an idiot for calling the girls back when they had a golden opportunity to decimate the enemy base and when their own base was already surely doomed.

I didn't care for the fact that the one Wo-class ship is still missing an eye. It doesn't really make sense, especially not if the Abyssals are resurrected KanMusus. Clearly if you can bring back the dead you can repair anything. Even if you had to harvest an eye from a second sunken vessel (eughhh ^^;; ), I'd still expect you to do that rather than to have this Wo-class sailing about with one less eye than she had before. Anyway ...

Looking forward to Episode 10. Sadly, I've been watching with a team that is five days late on their own release schedule, six days late by broadcast date. So I have no idea when I'll get to watch 10.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #50
Sparkbeat

Episode 11:

Meh. It wasn't horrible, but wasn't fantastic. It felt a lot like the first three episodes in that regard. Like usually, they didn't have much tact or subtlety when switching between serious and comedic, but most of the jokes in the first two thirds of the episode were alright enough. More DD6 was fun, and Kitakami + Ooi was pretty good like normal. They did pretty well in terms of building anticipation for the battle. And then every scene with Akagi and Fubuki was just a boring cheese-fest. It's honestly gotten to the point where the only entertaining things happen when neither Fubuki nor Akagi is involved. There's been one episode where Fubuki was actually somewhat enjoyable (9), and I can't think of one where Akagi's been anything but bland and boring outside of her Queen of Bauxite schtick. For the fight scenes, they were good outside of any parts that involved CGI, which was horrendous looking like usual.

As for the whole fate thing, I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt here and assume that the reason they feel like they do is that when ships are sunk then reconstructed, they retain some faint memories of the admiral's previously owned ship (Because having them get the memories of all ships before them from all admirals would have so many variables and would just be ugh and unreasonable and the perfectionist inside me says no). If it's like this then that's kinda shitty because they're, or at least Akagi and a few others, are stuck in a loop until the idiot admiral of this base can finally pass whatever level Base MI is in. This is kinda why I was hoping the "can get multiple of the same ship" thing was left out of the anime altogether, and I wish they'd made it animeonly-canon that only one girl for each ship exists. The way it is ingame kinda puts a real damper on things since constant rebirth is worse than death when you're gonna die a lot (And they will under this admiral). It's less of an issue in the games because 1. You can only develop a character to become attached to so much through the use of little quips and 2. The vast majority of the time, someone who knows the mechanics of the game coming in isn't going to even have the risk of letting one of his girls sink, so they never sink and their memories are never wiped to start anew. This route for them and fate at least makes sense, which is good, but man if it really isn't Madoka levels depressing. I'd almost rather them be talking about some other bullshitty thing I could just laugh off as "lol trying to make something serious out of nothing," because this just puts a damper on everything.

Also ignore most of the above because I'm dumb and was looking at this in a complete vacuum where WWII doesn't exist until Emi reminded me that WWII still happened in this universe.

Last edited by Sparkbeat; 03-18-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Sparkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime