UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Tenorphin
Boulder Badge

Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Brotherhood

I searched and couldn't find one, so I thought I'd ask.
Anyone seen it?

I liked the way that they decided to follow manga's storyline after all.
Oh and YUI's OP rocks.
The Cloud Garden
Spoiler: show
Cotton
Level 14
Tenorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I watched one or two episodes on Hulu, but from what I saw, it didn't follow the manga.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I hated FMA comedy (in the manga) so I never watched Brotherhood, but from what I've heard it's deviated again from the manga continuity.

Better luck next time...?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's followed the manga to a tee from my comparisons of what I've seen with what I've read on Wikipedia about the manga. Either Loki is mistaken or Wikipedia is.

Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed this program. It is 100x better than the original anime and is on its own an excellent, Top 10 Animes Ever show. Very well-executed story (which can't be said for the original! harumph!), fantastic music, animation budget, everything. Just very good. Each week is an absolute pleasure for at least 25 minutes.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I own the first 10 or so volumes of the manga. There was no Ice Alchemist who tried to conquer the city.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That's the one and only example. Compare this with the original TV show, Loki. Seriously: take a peek at the anime's list of episodes if you're not planning on watching it ever, and notice that you'll not find another plot detail which wasn't also in the manga (and vice versa). The two cover one another entirely, minus Isaac MacDougal.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Talked it over with some up-to-daters. They said the first thirteen episodes were a monstrosity, mashing the overdone manga comedy gags into a rushed retelling of the first season. After that, the anime is more or less the same.

I don't know what to think, since I don't like a lot of the plot developments in the manga, like Father. Certainly, development of the alchemists plays into the anime's favour - I know I heard Basque Grand was actually a character this time around - but I'm a bit hesitant to step into an AU as I said regarding GR. Although, I heard the manga-ka got ideas from the first anime and incorporated them into the manga, so who knows?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Episode 58 last night. Holy shit. The show is so, so well-written as compared with its predecessor, with all the seemingly-loose ends from the first half of the tale being wrapped up quite intelligently now in the final chapters (e.g. "didn't Lust say Roy Mustang was a human sacrifice back in Episode 20-something? But then didn't Ed say that human sacrifices have all tried to perform human transmutation? Roy hasn't done that. Hmm ... plot hole?" Nope! Smartly addressed just last night!).

I was upset with Mustang when I discovered that he was the one who burned Hawkeye's beautiful back. (Even if it was at her request.) Imagine what a nailbiter 58 was for me, then!

"Don't you dare let her die, Mustang! Don't you dare!" I kept saying to myself. To see that beautiful blonde just crumple over and start bleeding out all over the place ...

Last edited by Talon87; 05-25-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

WARNING!! Directory paths contain major spoiler! Click or hover at your own risk!

I went ahead and took the liberty of editing out the exact scene I'm referencing into its own .avi container. Uploaded it to Rapidshare since I knew that, for copyright reasons, it would be taken down from Youtube immediately. Probably will be soon enough from Rapidshare, too, but it should be there long enough for you guys to catch it: http://rapidshare.com/files/39151576...death.avi.html

Since Eclipse uses softsubs (woot woot), they didn't carry over into my edited file, sorry. I've provided picture files with the appropriate text on my PhotoBucket page in the album linked here: http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...20Brotherhood/

That way, you can appreciate the gravity of the enemy's line delivery. Like,
the moment when he says, "I told you we didn't have much time." *SKEWER* I knew the shit was going to hit the fan, but ... CHUUI!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 59 was .. well, pretty amazing. We've been spoiled with this recent glut of good episodes one after the other. I'm not complaining! Just sayin': we're probably in for a disappointing humdrum between now and the series finale. Unless, of course, the series finale is less than three or so episodes away. lol No clue. Given the sneak peak for Episode 60, I could totally see this ending really soon. But I have no clue when it's supposed to end.

I feel really bad for Mustang. A, he was basically alchemy-raped. B, poor bastard lost his eyes. WTF, that's pretty damn awful of these homonculi. That was such a humiliating way for him to discover that he was blind, too. "Hey, it's so dark in here! Hagane no, how can you see where we are? *trip*" Though ... shouldn't his gut instinct, as the Flame Alchemist, have been to pierce the darkness with his fire? ^^;

The best scene, by far, was the second-to-final scene (or final, depending on how you cut it) with Al and his body. Talk about heart-wrenching. Poor, poor kid. He's been through so much, little tyke, he's not even 16 years old yet, and he's placed in that tortuous position. "Walk away from the body you've been searching for all your life since that horrible day ... or seize your body back but not live to enjoy it." Damn.

Wow, that fugly doctor became 100x more fugly. Eww. Gonna take a while to get that image out of my mind. >_<

Surprised that Pride didn't devour Wrath. He devoured Gluttony for being in the same state as Wrath is, and now that he is Gluttony (or Pride-Gluttony) you'd think he wouldn't have been able to hold back. Even the smallest of excuses to legitimize eating something. Oh well.

If the boys can get their bodies back, hopefully Mustang can get his eyes back. Fuck the future of nation -- he needs to be able to see Hawkeye! ^^; [/romantic sap] Seriously, though: she is too hot to not be seen.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 60 is pretty good, but ends at the climax of the story it's telling. Sort of drags it down from superstardom as an episode. Also makes me warn those of you who have not yet seen it to hold off for another week (you can do it!) until 61 comes out. It'll be worth the wait, I promise. 60 ends in a really bad spot.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I remember about hearing what happened to Roy when it came out. Worse than what happened to him in the first anime! But I've been told that FMA's author got ideas from the Bones anime too, apparently it's not a completely unusual phenomenon (happened with Kinoko Nasu and Mahoromatic's author IIRC).

Talon, do you know what's uh...up with Riza?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What do you mean? I know what's up with her through Episode 60 and that's it. What is it you want to see if I know?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I shall keep a tight lip if you don't know exactly what I'm talking about! Though a non-spoiler hint: Charmander?

Also, the manga has ended, likely the anime will have the same end.

I don't know what to think.

o_o
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #15
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Are you talking about
the tattoo on her back being burned? I was actually a bit confused about that. One episode showed her showering with the tattoo intact, while another had a flashback saying she begged Mustang to burn it off. I just decided to brush it off and not think too much about it.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Didn't click BBB's spoiler, but I'll write my own answer:
Mustang burning her back way back when as per her request in Ishbal?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

'atsa one. I thought it was some kind of Flame Alchemy secret, but Mustang didn't bite. Maybe he had to transmute Riza to obtain the power?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In the FMA:B anime, Riza suggests (via spoken dialogue of hers) that the design on her back was what was necessary to learn flame alchemy; that Roy had already learned it; and that, having seen what her father's alchemy was capable of wreaking by virtue of it having been used in Ishbal by Roy, she never wanted anyone else to learn how to do it and pleaded with Mustang to rob future generations of the chance to learn his signature move by scorching it off of her back. She felt that having it scorched off of her back (rather than removed in other ways) would be as close to fitting as any means of atonement for the crimes she and Roy had performed in Ishbal, i.e. their victims died in horrible fiery pain so it would be fitting that she, too, suffer the flame's cruel touch.

So while what you've said COULD be true, I don't know that it is. All I know is what FMA:B tells me, and FMA:B tells me that, at the very least, the stuff on her back is her father's life work and was what Roy used to learn fire alchemy.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
That tattoo is in fact her father's secret technique/transmutation circle for producing the flame alchemy that Roy uses.
From what I remember, he was the original flame alchemist but he stopped being an alchemist and kept the secret on her back.

I read it in the manga originally, but as far as I know FMA:B is carrying that over.
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
For the pleasure of those who care about the true Full Metal Alchemist!

http://mangastream.com/read/fullmetal_alchemist/37981928/1

Final chapter of the manga, fresh from translations on Mangastream.
If FMA:B is based off this manga, here's the ending for you!
Be prepared, it's 109 pages long!

Btw...a hell of a better ending than the original anime....a hell of a lot better.
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Episode 61 about an hour ago. It was okay. Sort of a (big?) letdown after 58, 59, and 60. I wasn't a fan of the following, all major spoilers so BEWARE:

Didn't like how Ed killed Pride. Seemed way too easy and Edward-is-now-Jesus-"I am peering into your soul"-WTF.

Didn't like Pride's true form. At all. -_-;

Didn't like that they suggested that Pride's true form could survive the way Edward left it. WTF, FUCK NO, FETUSES THE SIZE OF MY DISTAL CUBITAL PHALANX CANNOT SURVIVE EX UTERO ON A FUCKING JACKET.

Didn't like that Wrath "killed" Scar only for Scar to have enough energy to activate the anti-transmutation circle. If Scar had enough energy to do that, he had enough energy to heal his wounds. WTF. Scar is still alive for now. I presume his wound is fatal but fuck: for all I know it isn't. The way this episode went it seems like the basic laws of physiology don't count for shit.

Didn't like how Hohenheim's plan was explained in the anime. Perhaps it's just as vague in the manga? I don't know. But at least in the anime, it was very vague and hand-wavey. "Hey, look. You already successfully became a god. I can't undo that. But I can ask my kinsmen to somehow activate during the lunar eclipse to ... thwart you? Somehow?" See what I mean: it wasn't explained. It was like the writers were as much at a loss for how this shit goes down as the audience was. Ask the original author what was going on, then! -_-; Gosh.

Didn't like the "Eastern Alchemy is earth-based. Amestran alchemy is tectonic." WTF, tectonics are earth-based. >_< x 1,000,000

Didn't like the "Now that Father's tubes are out of the way, we can use tectonic alchemy even better than ever!" only to see the same nature and power to their alchemy. LOL + WTF

Everybody chases after Father except for Mustang. This, I was okay with. What I didn't like was how Riza is all "My love! Your eyes! ;_;" and Mustang just keeps repeating himself like a goddamned broken record, "Chuui! Can you still fight?" ......... only for us to never see Riza in the episode ever again. WTF. If Mustang is going to break my eardrums with his repetitive mantra, i.e. if the author is going to drum this bit of foreshadowing into my brain with not the least bit of tact, I damn well expect to see her (Hawkeye) doing something within the same episode. Even if it's only a one-liner or the flash of a smile. Something.

It was just rife with plot holes and annoyances. Which is a shame, really, because as far as the entire series goes, it really was par for the course, maybe even above par for the course, in terms of overall enjoyability. Why? Because it's part of the lead-up to the series finale, that's why. Even if it was full of holes, it was still exciting to watch. Le sigh.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Steel View Post

Btw...a hell of a better ending than the original anime....a hell of a lot better.
While true, that doesn't imply this ending was great on absolute grounds. I read it, having only a vague understanding of FMA:B and the manga, and wasn't impressed. I've yet to see an FMA interpretation that satisfies me, heck bloody Baccano!'s ending was 'god tier' and its focus on alchemy was subservient to the greater theme of "immortality".

Though, I liked "FMA Kids" the OVA, but it's more of an epilogue than ending.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished Episode 63. Pretty darn good. Compared with how a good many animes end, I'll say that this one ended perfectly. It wasn't actually perfect ^^; , but compared with a good many animes, lol, it sure was. Most animes have a nasty habit of not living up to their viewers expectations and/or turning into fiery wreckage. FMA:B avoided this. The ending had a few kinks imo, but they were minor; and the author's solution to the riddle, "How do you retrieve someone's entire body and soul without sacrificing your own or another's?" was, in my opinion, the best answer of imperfect answers. (That is to say, I feel like ultimately there can be no answer -- "equivalent trade," folks -- but that this answer felt the 100% least like a copout out of all arguably-copout answers.)

Episode 63 pretty much ends the series. Episode 64 (due next week) looks to be an epilogue episode. So the decision is up to you whether you want to hold off for another week before watching 63 or if you want to go ahead and watch it now and then wait a week for the official series finale. I'd recommend not waiting, personally. If you're anything like me, you'll want to re-watch Episode 63 at least one more time in full, and you may as well do that now so that when 64 rolls around you're emotionally ready for it. I feel like if you watched 63 and 64 back-to-back that you wouldn't be able to quit thinking about the events in 63 whilst watching 64. But that's me. You may be different.

Spoiler details for those who have read the manga and are wondering what 63 covered (and by process of elimination what 64 will be left to cover):
  • Greed exits Lin Yao's body.
  • Greed dies.
  • Father turns into charcoal.
  • Edward punches him, releasing the remaining souls trapped within Father's body.
  • Father returns to the Gate of Truth where he is punished by Truth/God and entrapped within the Gate for all eternity, never to be free (freedom being what he wished for all this time).
  • Hohenheim offers to sacrifice his life, the only soul he has left, to bring back Alphonse. Edward declines.
  • Edward wants to find a way to bring Alphonse back that doesn't require anyone to lose their lives.
  • Edward declares that he is performing the last alchemical transformation of his career before disappearing into his human transmutation circle.
  • Edward confronts Truth/God.
  • Edward declares his intention to swap his ability to perform alchemy (i.e. the entire Gate of Truth, all knowledge of the inner workings of the world) to bring Alphonse back with him, body and soul.
  • Truth/God accepts the trade offer.
  • Edward and Alphonse return to our world.
  • The citizens of Amestris are informed via radio of what happened, although Father is never mentioned and the true identities of King Bradley and Selim Bradley are not revealed.
  • Edward gives the fetus-Selim to Mrs. Bradley.
  • Roy Mustang takes charge of the nation.
  • Later that evening, Alex Louis Armstrong personally thanks Hohenheim for his service as well as for being the father of the two boys who also helped to save the nation.
  • Following this, Hohenheim makes haste for Resembool, his body rapidly deteriorating. (Remember what happened to King Bradley!)
  • Hohenheim makes it back to Trisha's grave just in time to say a few last words.
  • The next morning, Pinako Rockbell discovers Hohenheim's aged shell of a body.

The end. So, any further details, e.g. showing Roy doing leadership stuff, showing Edward not being able to transmute things, showing Alphonse back in action, etc., are going to have to wait until Episode 64.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

... And that's it. With the sixty-forth episode aired (Sunday), subbed, and released (Monday), FMA: Brotherhood has come to its natural conclusion.

Of course, the author just had to introduce a new plot line at the last second. ¬_¬

And so we get an inevitable cinematic sequel, already confirmed, which will doubtless explore the search for answers to the most annoying question in the entire franchise imo: "how do you put a chimera back together again?" (Ugggggggggggh, the chimeras were the dumbest part of this show! ¬_¬ Do they really need their own plot line?)

Other than this gripe, and the ultimate identity of the new Führer (spoiler: it ain't Roy), I enjoyed 64 for what it was: an epilogue episode. 63 already dealt with all of the kickass drama as well as the show's major question. 64 was just there for people who would have gone berserk had the series ended with 63. *shrug*
Old 12-25-2015, 01:28 AM   #25
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Started rewatching this about a week ago. I'm at episode 43 right now. I can not imagine watching this show weekly. Every episode ends in some kind of cliffhanger, and so much is constantly going on. Hell, watching it before work is painful since I can only get in around 3 episodes.

I enjoy the show well enough. My only real issues are the so-called "humor", and the over-the-top dramatic effects in some scenes. The "humor" is self-explanatory. The same fucking "I'M ANGRY FOR BEING CALLED SHORT" joke over and fucking over again. It's worse than Rumiko Takahashi humor! For the dramatic effect, it isn't THAT bad, but it does get a little silly. (episode 20-ish spoiler)
In the scene Ed is digging the grave for his failed transmutation of his mother, they start getting ridiculous with it. He starts needlessly struggling and vomiting for no reason. We have old shrew with him for "HE'S SO DEDICATED!" and "Don't push yourself" nonsense. I didn't know digging a hole was that hard.

Kind of irritating that I start remembering shit at the worst times. Like in the Nina episode, I remembered what happened to her right before it happened. Kind of killed the fun.

Also I'm glad I decided to start downloading a batch. I wanted to watch it on Netflix, but the timing for the subs is so freaking bad. The upscaling is also kind of sloppy.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 12-25-2015 at 02:43 AM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime