UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #351
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Another film that was a pleasant surprise was 21 Jump Street. I swear I thought I was going to get a headache from how much I was laughing. Can't remember the last time I heard a cinema audience laugh that much either. If you need a good giggle then go see it (though it's probably out of cinemas by now).
You have good taste, sir. This movie was awesome.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #352
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I have a few.

The Hangover Part 2
Overrated: Hello, my wife, Lame.
Lame: What is it, my husband, Overrated?
Overrated: I think we should have another kid. Our first child, The Hangover, is feeling lonely.
Lame: Sure, lets have another child. We should name him "The Hangover Part 2".

The Men Who Stare at Goats
How disappointing. This movie could have been awesome if it focused more on the psychic warriors, and their stupid training, rather than stuff about the army. I only laughed at this movie once.

The Three Stooges
This is certainly a surprise. This movie actually wasn't bad. While some jokes made me cringe, like them making Curly bark, others were actually really good. This movie had some nice puns, and it was nice how the movie stuck with the usual style and sound effects the original had. So for the most part, I enjoyed the movie. During the end of the movie, there was this little infomercial thing that pretty much explained "Don't hit people in the head with a sledgehammer. It could seriously injure or kill them." Are people so damn stupid that they wouldn't know that unless it's explained to them?
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #353
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
The Men Who Stare at Goats
How disappointing. This movie could have been awesome if it focused more on the psychic warriors, and their stupid training, rather than stuff about the army. I only laughed at this movie once.
Good lord that movie upset me. So much going for it with the cast and it singularly failed to be funny, moving or interesting. I don't like to be overcritical but I am damn sure that if the scriptwriter (I know it's an adaptation) and director of that film had been replaced, and a camera simply pointed at Jeff Bridges for 90 minutes, it would have been vastly improved.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #354
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The Avengers- honestly, I understand every fanboygasm that is linked to this movie. The action and humor are easily at it's peak of Marvel movie works and the few problems with the movie are so minor. The movie perfectly shows how each of the Marvel heroes brought together had problems- human problems. They could have had the strength to demolish cities, call lightning, or blasted things to oblivion, but they were still humans with clashing personalities, trust issues, and an overall lack of unity which is needed for a team and eventually how they all overcame these issues to finally save the day.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #355
deoxys
Fog Badge

Loki... er... that was a tad spoilerish, even if it is a bit obvious...
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #356
Loki

Does anyone actually expect the Avengers to somehow lose in that movie?

It's not a spoiler if it's obvious.

Last edited by Loki; 05-04-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #357
phoopes
Double Dragon

I also saw the Avengers, and I must completely agree with Loki on this one.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #358
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Beauty and the Beast 3D.

Probably the most pure musical-ish of all of the Disney renaissance, and the 3D is done exceedingly well.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #359
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post

I have never seen that YGO Abridged movie, and that is the second time tonight I was linked to a clip from it that was absolutely hilarious.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #360
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post

Spoiler: show
That nuke probably could've probably been an issue with their winning.

Witty response spoilered for major event spoilage.

Just got out of The Avengers. Like Phoopes, I completely agree with Loki. I'd pay to see it again and am probably going to pick up the DVD once it comes out.

Also, I may be a bit late to the party but I'll be seeing the Hunger Games later. I'll probably say stuff about it afterwards.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #361
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
The Avengers was ridiculously good. Just so many different things that I didn't really see coming but it worked so well. Having just spent the previous day watching all five previous films helped a lot.

So when's Justice League coming out?
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #362
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
The Avengers was ridiculously good.

[...]

So when's Justice League coming out?
I still haven't seen Iron Man (or its sequel), Captain America, or Thor ... and I still haven't seen Superman Returns or Green Lantern ... but if despite this I can comment on what you've asked ...

My understanding is that Iron Man was ridiculously popular (ranking up there with The Dark Knight and the Spider-Man films), that Captain America didn't fare too badly either (ranking up there, perhaps, with the less popular of the five X-Men films), and that Thor, the dud of the group (excluding Hulk, the auto-dud ^^; ), also didn't do too badly. My understanding is that, on the flip side, Superman Returns was a letdown for a fandom that had had huge expectations and that Green Lantern pretty much let everyone down, most of the complaints seeming to center around the villain and some of the things Lantern used (or didn't use) his ring to generate. In other words, Marvel is for the most part kicking ass at the box office whereas DC only has Batman going for them. They can't seem to get the public interested in who was once upon a time their #1 most popular superhero and they got burned at the box office after listening to their comic book fans' demands for which property hero of theirs to explore next. Given that Wonder Woman seems like a total no-go in the current environment -- the only way I see her working is if they bring the original team for the first X-Men film on board, writers, director, and all, and allow them to completely revamp her look and backstory -- and given that the rest of the Justice League is not nearly as iconic (I say this b/c those four are honestly the only four I can name without looking people up on Wikipedia), I just don't see a Justice League film happening any time soon.

Not to mention that the grisly, badass Dark Knight interpretation of Batman hardly seems like a team player. If he doesn't even have a sidekick -- and what superhero is more famous for having a sidekick than Batman!? -- it'd be a hard subconscious sell for fans to accept that Mufflervoice Batman would join goody-goodies like Kal El and Hal Jordan. Not to mention that another reason people are attracted to Christopher Nolan's Batman films is that, as far as superhero films are concerned, they feel real, i.e. they feel like they could actually happen in the real world. I don't think it's because the Joker is the established franchise archnemesis for Batman that The Dark Knight did better than Batman Begins: I think (amongst many reasons, including a far more interesting script, spectacular character acting, and many more) it's because where cinema Ra's al Ghul and cinema Scarecrow are sillier villains, cinema Joker was essentially a very believable sociopath. In other words, the favorite cinema villain in a superhero film of the past decade has been one of the most human, the most real, the most believable. Thus, it's hard to imagine the same fans who have enthusiastically rallied behind Nolan's Batman franchise to be excited about the idea of Bruce Wayne squaring off against Brainiac or Doomsday. ^^;

Last edited by Talon87; 05-07-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #363
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

As a DC Fan who hasn't even seen the avengers or most of the marvel movies but reads DC Comics, I would have to agree with Talon, unfortunately. The problem is that a lot of DC's adventures are more story based than action based, so I'm not sure that a justice league would work well, because the character's back stories couldn't be properly presented before hand(as the avengers had).

What they COULD do however, is feature the Trinity. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman all have stories that could easily be simplified for cinematics(such as with the avengers) and most of what they do is get in and fight. The character's personalities naturally work well and compliment each other, it would be a really hard movie to screw up.

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Tuner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #364
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Yeah I was mostly joking since I've seen a few people saying that DC are waiting to see how the Avengers fairs before launching a Justice League project.

One of my friends commented on the absurdity of the typically campy Green Lanturn, Superman, et al. and then just have Christian Bale's sociopathic Batman thrown in for funsies. Personally, given mine (and a few others) theories on how The Dark Knight Rises is going to end, I don't think it's going to happen in that timeline.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #365
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
One of my friends commented on the absurdity of the typically campy Green Lanturn, Superman, et al. and then just have Christian Bale's sociopathic Batman thrown in for funsies. Personally, given mine (and a few others) theories on how The Dark Knight Rises is going to end, I don't think it's going to happen in that timeline.
You say that as though you think he is going to die at the end of the film. One does not ordinarily name a story "[the main character's name or cognomen] Rises" and then have that character die in that very same story. That would be like if Malory had called it "Arthur Rises" instead of "The Death of Arthur." Which one was the more accurate title?

Unless I am completely reading your post wrong, in which case please do share with the class what you and your friends' theory is about the film. Would be interesting (and fun!) for you to have bragging rights come release night.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #366
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

No it's the former. Again, just a theory, but I've seen it floating around the internet and one the latest trailer strengthens it in my eyes. Not really going anymore into that until it opens though.

Also I'm pretty sure that the sucess and uniqueness of the Dark Knight Saga means that no-one's really going to have a proper crack at another Batman film series anyway, so I can't see how Justice League is going to get off the ground.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #367
deoxys
Fog Badge

I read last year that Justice League was in production for a 2014 release, and that the Batman they will use will not be the same from the Dark Knight saga. However now I'm not finding anything on that... so plans might have been cancelled.

I do know they were hoping to release a Wonder Woman movie first, which is currently being worked on.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #368
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I saw the Avengers tonight. It was really awesome. I mean... standard non-Christopher-Nolan-superhero-movie suspension of belief is required, but besides that it was totally awesome.

That archer guy has a weird way of moving, though. Like he's trying to be Daniel Craig or something, but failing.

The Hulk seemed a lot more rational in the last 30 minutes of the movie than he was on the giant aircraft. It might be my lack of comic book knowledge (plus having not seen either Hulk movie), but it seems really weird that he's making conscious, team-oriented decisions like catching Iron Man, when before he attacked both Black Widow and Thor. There wasn't even any sort of reconciliation between him and Thor that would explain them working as a team. I dunno. Also, did that "Tesseract gun" that the nerd fired actually do anything? Loki looked perfectly fine afterwards.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #369
Loki

MG

Not Tesseract Gun, but a gun made from the Destroyer pieces left on Earth after Thor went back to Asgard. It just shot the same beam/fireball that the Destroyer's eyes could shoot. Also, Loki is a god. Can't expect many mortal made things to hurt him.

As for Hulk, I think it was implied that when Bruce Banner was distressed, he becomes a berserker Hulk, but when he actively wants to become the Hulk, he can kind of steer it in the right direction. Also, comic-book knowledge wouldn't help much. Different writers have written different levels of influence that Banner can exert on the Hulk. Anything from absolute anger induced rampage to a fully Bruce controlled Hulk. Currently, Hulk and Bruce have separate personalities and Hulk is fairly intelligible, although this is linked to his rage levels.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #370
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I am watching K-Pax right now. Easily a favorite of mine, Kevin Spacey was just amazing.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #371
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I just saw The Avengers.

I think it was grossly over-rated, thus cementing my opinion that comic book fans would wank to any drivel that caters to their taste, but...it was still a really fun movie.

It was painful, but only because my shoulder is injured so I was in extreme agony sitting upright in the theatre watching it, but I persevered because it was so interesting.

First, the bad points:

1. The humour was really hit or miss. Some of the jokes were infantile or campy as fudge, and created a sense of awkwardness in the theatre when some people would laugh at certain jokes, but others wouldn't.
2. Some of the dialogue was also cliche, but within the context of the movie it was hardly noticeable except in dramatic parts. I forgot where. This is pretty text-book with comics but it was annoying none-the-less.
3. Bruce Banner and Thor were tacked on, their impact on the film was considerably less than Fury, Stark, and Rogers.
4. "super-heroes to accomplish a small task" = trying to keep S.H.I.E.L.D.'s flying fortress afloat, felt rather contrived as a crisis. I don't understand the point in taking off in the first place (to threaten Loki?) and I had a hard time suspending disbelief at the Avengers acting like over-qualified repairmen.
5. quasi-technobabble. Even Star Trek had less than this movie, and it was annoying to listen to.
6. The final battle was retarded. There was zero tension and the heroes were invincible. Generic alien monsters and dragons with laser weaponry. It wasn't even an army in the sense of 300, it was a single fleet, almost an expeditionary force. It was only cool for seeing Hulk kick arse, so much of the action was flat, I struggled to pay attention and not tune out.

What I liked:

1. Nick Fury. This was the first time I'd seen his character outside of the Spiderman animated series, but he didn't really need an introduction - he's a man who would manipulate anyone anywhere, anytime to save the world. His speech after that guy with the Captain American cards was moving.
2. Captain America/Iron Man. Honestly, their dynamic was the best part of the film because they were the only guys with any clash. Thor's attitude and Hulk's anger were really kind of trivial differences, and Loki's attitude of supremest arrogance was much more fitting for Thor to introduce antagonism among the Avengers team.
3. The death of the S.H.I.E.L.D. guy. Like Captain American said, there was a lot of courage in the guys without super skills facing off against a super, and I liked what that guy did and what his death accomplished. Fury's speech with the bloody cards was the movie climax, because you could see in Stark's face the stinging irony at how 1) him rejecting the Avengers proposal lead to 2) S.H.I.E.L.D. developing weapons to combat Thor's aliens, hence setting in motion Loki's descent to Earth to take the Tesseract and causing all the trouble.
4. NO SAPPY ROMANCE!

In the end, I thought this film was good, way better than Green Lantern but held back by being a comic book movie. I felt taking the characters I liked out of movie and putting them into something more substantial would have made for a better watch.

8/10
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #372
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>I think it was grossly over-rated, thus cementing my opinion that comic book fans would wank to any drivel that caters to their taste

See, I really, really liked it, and I've never actually read a superhero comic book in my life, so.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #373
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
>I think it was grossly over-rated, thus cementing my opinion that comic book fans would wank to any drivel that caters to their taste

See, I really, really liked it, and I've never actually read a superhero comic book in my life, so.
Agreeing with Dave. I've watched lots of superhero movies before, but never actually read one of the comic books. That's why I liked the Avengers so much- because it was better than any of the other movies I had seen starring those characters. Don't get me wrong- Thor, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, (etc.) were good, but the Avengers were better than the others by far for me.

Also, one of the funniest moments in the movie:
"That man is playing Galaga!"
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #374
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've never read comic-books either, except two issues of Spiderman and Acclaim Comics' Magic the Gathering: Ice Age, where my original screen-name came from. I haven't even picked one up since 1999. I'm just comparing it to all other comic-book movies I've seen.

Really, I could summarize my experience by saying I didn't like anything "unique" to the film, but what I did like ended up non-unique. The relationship of Iron Man and Captain America could be abstracted to a soldier and a billionaire playboy, no super-powers attached. Nick Fury's character of a ruthless leader who goes to any ends to achieve his goal didn't have to be in charge of a super-secret flying aircraft carrier.

We can't say the same for Bruce Banner or Thor, and that's a big reason why I thought their presence in the movie was practically un-necessary. The movie couldn't find a way to personalize the super-heroes, it either went "human guy in costume" or "CGI monster".

Compare to The Watchman, where Rorschach's character can't be disseminated into a bottom-line. Or even the latest incarnations of Batman, where Bruce Wayne is defined in relationship to his alter-ego.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #375
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
So I'm about two and a half hours into Dr. Zhivago. Aside from some characters looking like their 17 going on twenty eight and fifty going on thirty, the only qualm I have is these actors seem like they all went to the Charlton Heston school of acting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment