Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Generation 4 games.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Lingo:
A lot of the terms thrown around -- "sweeper", "stall", "Mixpert", "Specsmence", "SubRoost", "SubPunch" -- you're not going to pick up by playing the games. You're going to pick these up by talking about the games with others and by reading posts or articles or encyclopedia entries written by those who really, really like to play Pokemon a lot. So if it's the lingo that's got you baffled, then I'm not so sure you need to play the games more. More like, you need to care about playing the games more, whether you really end up playing them more or not.

But if what you're really getting hung up on are all of the new creature names, all of the new attacks, all of the new held items, and so on, then ...

Games:
If you consider yourself old school but want to get caught up to speed mechanistically, I'd recommend purchasing one of either Heart Gold or Soul Silver. It'll be a trip down Memory Lane with better graphics, better features, and all the new battle mechanics that were brought forth by Diamond and Pearl in 2006/7.

If you're looking for a brand-new adventure, then I'd recommend either:
a) purchasing Diamond or Pearl or Platinum, whichever you can find that's cheapest; or
b) waiting two more months for the 5th generation games Black and White
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:51 AM   #28
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
5th Generation it is then. I would hate to learn everything about 4th Gen only to have it all fudged up royal by the new inductees.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #29
Loki

Once you learn Gen4, you will have the basic understanding of everything and Gen5 concepts (which are just fledgling), will be easy to comprehend. Pokemon games don't change that much each generation... (except from Gen2 to Gen3).
Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My first 5-0. This time there's commentary, too, so feel free to click the spoiler box and read my comments beneath each turn.

Spoiler: show
Battle between SpeedKing and Kotone started!

Tier: Dream World
Variation: +15, -16
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause

Kotone sent out Mamoswine!
SpeedKing sent out Hippowdon!
The foe's Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

Start of turn 1
Mamoswine used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around SpeedKing's team!

The foe's Hippowdon used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Kotone's team!

The sandstorm rages!
SpeedKing: Ancora tu?
SpeedKing: ò.o
SpeedKing: Il mio bimbo lo vuole succhiare.

Talon's comment: I don't speak Spanish but I'm sure whatever smack talk he's talking isn't good.

Start of turn 2
Kotone called Mamoswine back!
Kotone sent out Starmie!
Pointed stones dug into Starmie!

The foe's Hippowdon used Roar!
Pointed stones dug into Staraptor!
Staraptor was dragged out!
Staraptor intimidates the foe's Hippowdon!
The foe's Hippowdon's Attack fell!

The sandstorm rages!
Staraptor is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Talon's comment: at this point, I realized what his strategy was: try to rack up entry hazard damage with Roar and Hippowdon's bulk. Despite this, I stupidly ...

Start of turn 3
Staraptor used U-turn!
The foe's Hippowdon lost 22% of its health!
Kotone called Staraptor back!
Kotone sent out Starmie!
Pointed stones dug into Starmie!

Pointed stones dug into Denchura!
Denchura was dragged out!

The sandstorm rages!
Denchura is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Denchura restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Hippowdon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
SpeedKing: Sei una troia sporcacciona

Talon's comment: Yeah, I used U-Turn on Turn 3. Dunno what I was thinking. >_>; Poor Starmie took SR damage TWICE for nothing.

Start of turn 4
Denchura used Energy Ball!
It's super effective!
The foe's Hippowdon lost 50% of its health!

The foe's Hippowdon used Slack Off!
The foe's Hippowdon regained health!

The sandstorm rages!
Denchura is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Denchura restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Talon's comment: Stupid hippo. >_>

Start of turn 5
Denchura used Energy Ball!
It's super effective!
The foe's Hippowdon lost 45% of its health!
The foe's Hippowdon's Sp. Def. fell!

Pointed stones dug into Staraptor!
Staraptor was dragged out!
Staraptor intimidates the foe's Hippowdon!
The foe's Hippowdon's Attack fell!

The sandstorm rages!

Talon's comment: Time for the hippo to die.

Start of turn 6
Staraptor used Brave Bird!
The foe's Hippowdon lost 50% of its health!
Staraptor is hit with recoil!
The foe's Hippowdon fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
SpeedKing sent out Vaporeon!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Vaporeon!

Now at this point in the game, the opponent is probably thinking he's going to win. It's 6-5 but it's as good as 5-5 with Staraptor so near death. Except this is where his control of the game ends and mine begins ... and I never let go.

Start of turn 7
Staraptor used Brave Bird!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 87% of its health!
Staraptor is hit with recoil!
Staraptor fainted!
The foe's Vaporeon fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Kotone sent out Mamoswine!
Pointed stones dug into Mamoswine!

SpeedKing sent out Kingdra!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Kingdra!

Talon's comment: Staraptor was a necessary sacrifice to get rid of bulky Wishpassing weather-abusing Vaporeon. And sure enough, in came Kingdra right behind her. Figures.

Start of turn 8
Mamoswine used Earthquake!
The foe's Kingdra lost 60% of its health!

The foe's Kingdra used Dragon Dance!
The foe's Kingdra's Attack rose!
The foe's Kingdra's Speed rose!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Kingdra is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Talon's comment: I was banking on Mamoswine being the faster of the two but I confess it was a shaky gamble. Not only did it prove true, but I couldn't have asked for better luck: the opponent greedily Dragon Danced instead of finishing Mamo off first with a well-placed Surf. Bad move, sir. Bad move.

Start of turn 9
Mamoswine used Ice Shard!
The foe's Kingdra lost 20% of its health!
The foe's Kingdra fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
SpeedKing sent out Randorosu!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Randorosu!

Talon's comment: At this point, my opponent must have been scratching his head. "How come Ice Shard took off 20% of my HP when it's such a weak move and I'm not even weak to Ice and--" Shut it, cupcake: you ain't seen nothing yet. ;D

Start of turn 10
Mamoswine used Ice Shard!
It's super effective!
The foe's Randorosu lost 87% of its health!
The foe's Randorosu fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
SpeedKing: wth
SpeedKing sent out Muurando!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Muurando!

Talon's comment: I wth'd at his "wth"! I mean, seriously? Are you kidding me? Did you honestly think that Ground/Flying would come out of this match-up unscathed? Apparently you haven't played against Mamoswine very much ...

Start of turn 11
The foe's Muurando used Return!
Mamoswine lost 184 HP! (50% of its health)

Mamoswine used Earthquake!
A critical hit!
The foe's Muurando lost 87% of its health!
The foe's Muurando fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
SpeedKing sent out Tyranitar!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tyranitar!

Talon's comment: Okay, admittedly this was just a lucky break. The one which allowed this to be a 5-0 and not a 4-0 as I had been thinking it was going to be just one turn earlier. Still ...

Start of turn 12
Mamoswine used Superpower!
It's super effective!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 87% of its health!
Mamoswine's Attack fell!
Mamoswine's Defense fell!
The foe's Tyranitar fainted!

Talon's comment: I couldn't help myself. I know it was kinda mean to Superpower him after all his "wtf"-ing at Ice Shard's cheapness, but ... THIS IS WHY I PACK SUPERPOWER. So I'll be damned if I'm not going to use it.

Kotone won the battle!
Kotone: gg

Not a particularly epic match, but still: it was my first 5-0 and it's not like it was against a team of Igglybuffs and Sandshrews, either.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #31
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I wouldn't be bragging about 5-0ing a dude who sends out Landlos against a Pokemon he knows is packing a STAB priority ice attack. Or is running some bizarre Vaporeon variant that takes nearly 90% from a Staraptor Brave Bird.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #32
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Maybe it was one of those Spec Vaporeon?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:51 AM   #33
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Well, Talon you didn't reply to the PM(yes I know you could be busy), but do you still play any Gen4? It's infinitely better than GenWEATHER imo.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #34
Talon87
時の彼方へ

1-12-2011 11:01am - Rangeet PMs Talon
1-12-2011 5:18pm - Talon replies, waits for Rangeet to reply back

You had to wait six hours. I've had to wait two and a half days. Next time, before you accuse somebody of not checking their PMs, why don't you check your inbox first? If for some reason you genuinely do not see the reply in your inbox, here it is, screencapped.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #35
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
That's funny...I could have sworn I replied to you asking if you play any Gen4...but it doesn't show up in my Sent. Strange.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #36
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Bump. Kindrindra introduced me to the Pokémon Replay Viewer, a project that's in beta right now which allows you to upload your Pokémon-Online battle logs if you've saved them and to have them converted into a format which others can then watch and enjoy as well.

Here's a Challenge Cup match I just did earlier this evening. Pay attention to the Volbeat and what it's doing. Spoiler-note: the Simipour's SpAtt stat at the end was a whopping 450.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #37
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Nothing beats beating a guy after he arrogantly declares "game set match" because he used the oldest gimmick-trick in the BW book. Well, okay, a lot of things beat it, but this was still pretty fulfilling after such a smack talk-heavy line like that. It didn't help that I didn't know you can't Rapid Spin and die in the process (Iron Barbs) and expect it to work. (WTF. That's retarded.) But I still managed to pull through.

Was experimenting with Golurk. Don't really care for his movepool / it's not what my team needs. Back into the box he goes!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #38
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

To be fair, SS Cloyster is hardly a gimmick. But it was pretty pretentious of him to assume he had won! (Though I was also surprised at Starmie surviving- what kind of EVs are you running? Oh, wait, I see- Intimidate. Nicely played.)

What Golurk set were you running? I was a little surprised at how poorly he did, due to one turn which seemed perfect for a set-up. Then again, I was assuming you were running Sub+Focus Punch (I don't really know why I thought that, though). You might want to run a set-up sweeper in his place, as I noticed your team didn't seem to have one- Not that it's necessary or anything.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
To be fair, SS Cloyster is hardly a gimmick. But it was pretty pretentious of him to assume he had won! (Though I was also surprised at Starmie surviving- what kind of EVs are you running? Oh, wait, I see- Intimidate. Nicely played.)
Thank you. I don't think he caught on that that's why it happened which, in conjunction with his predilection for gimmicky Cookie-cutter Smogon Strategies for Newbs™, leads me to believe that he was just a child. So yeah: I'm wailing on this poor little kid and gloating about my win on a Pokeeman board. What a big man am I. But seriously: pretentious little shit says "game set match" like that and I'm not supposed to enjoy the fact that I ended up beating him handily? C'mon.

Some of my EV spreads I like to keep a secret ;D, but Starmie is running (no secret, no surprise) the classic 4/252/252 for HP, SpAtt, and Speed. Timid nature. Non-choice item in favor of versatility. (I find that way too many people assume that Starmie is Choice Spec'd and'll send in something which I can just as easily outrace and kill with a different move.) I've run Starmie since '99, and I've run this particular Starmie since 2005. If Psyshock magically did more damage to Blissey than it really does (sigh), I'd totally have that in place of Rapid Spin. I actually did test it out. Was not impressed with the results. (Only took off ~20% of Blissey's health. WTF, I could do the same damage using Surf. O_o It honestly feels like it had to have been a glitch but I guess not. The magic of Defense EV investment and all that. =\)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
What Golurk set were you running? I was a little surprised at how poorly he did, due to one turn which seemed perfect for a set-up. Then again, I was assuming you were running Sub+Focus Punch (I don't really know why I thought that, though). You might want to run a set-up sweeper in his place, as I noticed your team didn't seem to have one- Not that it's necessary or anything.
It was experimental and more or less lifted straight off the pages of Smogon. Never used a Golurk before so I thought I'd go for Adamant nature, Choice Band, the fist-promoting ability (since Klutz sucks and I don't do DW still) and then Hammer Arm | Earthquake | Stone Edge | Shadow Claw for the moveset. So when I was locked into ... Earthquake, I think it was? And he sent out Skarmory? I had to call Golurk back. Could have let it die then or could have let it die later. Ended up letting it die later. (Or rather, credit to him, he killed it via entry hazards + Whirlwind.)

I rarely run Sub strategies because I never, ever get them to work properly. On occasion I do in CC, but getting Sub to work in CC is like getting a strike in bowling when the lane has bumper-rails. To use your Golurk example, I feel like this is what would happen with me:
Turn 1: Golurk uses Substitute. Milotic uses Scald. Sub breaks.
Turns 2+: Vicious cycle, no point in continuing it.

To use another example, say (as if by magic) I had set the sub up and the same turn the Milotic had died. Then what would have happened was:
Turn 0: He switches in Skarmory to replace the fallen Milotic.
Turn 1: What am I going to do? =\ Sure, Skarmory can't really hurt Golurk all that badly, but neither can Golurk hurt Skarmory or prevent him from laying down entry hazards for later. Hammer Arm? Normal damage and non-stabbed. Earthquake? Immune to it. Stone Edge? Normal damage and non-stabbed. Shadow Claw? Resists it. Skarmory's a pretty good counter to Golurk and so, sub or no sub, I'd be forced to retreat anyway. Once again proving that the self-sacrifice of 25% of my own HP was stupid.

I see the successful uses of Substitute all the time, but I never find myself in those positions when I'm the one wanting to use Substitute competitively. I play too aggressive of a game and so, I find, do most of my opponents. Setting up substitutes is pointless when all it does is have me slowly kill myself rather than allow the opponent to speedily OHKO me.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #40
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Yeah, I guess Sub wouldn't help that much if you go hard aggro. I'm more of a balanced player myself, so I've found Sub unbelievibly useful. It's unbelievly (CAN'T SPELL ;_;) easy to set up against walls or on switches.

Though for your example, if you were running Sub you'd be running Focus Punch instead of Hammer Arm.
Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

We could play one another and find out who's strategy's working better for who.

Reading some articles from The Smog's latest issue has depressedly reminded me just how dominated the OU metagame is with rain right now. "You get what you wish for," that's for sure. I always wanted weather to have more respect in competitive play ... but now it's goddamn inescapable. D: You run into it literally one out of every two matches. God damn it.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #42
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Well, thanks to the magical wonders of 16GB of storage, I now have portable PO, so a battle would be possible...

...That was, if it wasn't that I'm entirely out of practice and havn't made an effective OU team yet. >_<
Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #43
Loki

A Timid Starmie will never do 'good' damage on a Blissey. A Modest Starmie will only be able to race damage with a Choice Specs equipped. To be honest, Starmie's 100 base Special Attack and any lack of pumping has been it's biggest limiting factor.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #44
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wow. I just had an incredible game of Challenge Cup on P-O. It was a ridiculous game of out-predicting one another and forcing switch after switch after switch. You can watch the video by clicking the link. It might help to have commentary, so I'll provide it step by step. Warning! It'll be long because the match itself was long!

Spoiler: show
Turn 0: Our leads. Unable to risk electricity, I have to switch out. Luckily, I have a ground-type.

Turn 1: He attempts to Thunder Wave, but I switch out Murkrow for Pupitar. Disaster averted: and the first of many such aversions!

Turn 2: I try to Mud-Slap his Manectric. However, now it's his turn to be worried about powerful STAB attacks, so now he switches in a guy who'll be immune to what he suspects is incoming. He guesses the type correctly and Landorus just laughs at us.

Turn 3: I Double-Edge, thinking he's bluffing having Earthquake. Well, he doesn't have Earthquake ... but he does have Brick Break. >_< I gotta get out of there and fast!

Turn 4: I send out Moltres to eat a Brick Break. Instead, he calls the switch ... and uses a Ground-type move instead! Lucky break for me.

Turn 5: I try to use Wing Attack but instead he switches out Landorus for Magcargo. It doesn't do much damage, and I'm worried that sucker's packing Rock-type attacks. I better get outta here!

Turn 6: I switch out ... correctly, it would seem. Because he ordered his Magcargo to use Smack Down, holy shit. >_< That would have decimated poor Moltres, but it hardly scratches Empoleon. Six turns and you've already seen four things from me and three things from him. And ...

Turn 7: He switches to Genesect. By this point, it's incredibly obvious to me (if not to the both of us) that we're going to be playing a lot of the Switching Game tonight, so instead of even bothering with any other attack, I settle on Yawn, thinking "If he stays put, I yawn him anyway. But if he switches, I yawn his switch-in." It works wonderfully as few on my team can properly handle Genesect's Bug/Steel typing.

Turn 8: He doesn't want Genesect to fall asleep so he calls 'im back for Staravia. I likewise call Empoleon back for Ekans.

Turn 9: I've intimidated him, so I know he can't hurt me too badly. Indeed, he Mud-Slaps me but it does minimal damage. Sadly, my accuracy drops and the already not entirely reliable Rock Slide becomes even less reliable. It misses, and I give away how Ekans had planned on killing the bird. So we both know what that means ...

Turn 10: That's right -- it's another switch. He switches out Genesect. I was hoping to poison whatever he switched in with Toxic, but I wasn't expecting Genesect. Regrettably, I give my opponent sente here once again.

Turn 11: I send in the best possible answer to a Steel/Bug Pokemon -- my Fire/Flying Moltres. I take a Metal Claw to the beak and shrug it off. Not a problem.

Turn 12: We've seen this before! He calls Genesect back for Magcargo. Knowing this is coming, I decide to take advantage with a free Return.

Turn 13: I know that he's going to Smack Down, so I switch in Pupitar. He knows that I know that, so he decides to take advantage of the situation for a quick Recover.

Turn 14: ... but he doesn't realize that I have Pursuit. Taking advantage of Moltres' Return, I smash into the already damaged snail for 25% HP damage. WHERE'S YOUR RECOVER NOW, BITCH? Sadly, 25% isn't enough to be getting TOO excited over, and in comes a perfectly healthy Genesect.

Turn 15: Once again he Metal Claws. Once again I beat him to the punch by calling out Pupitar for Moltres. I'm sensing a pattern here ...

Turn 16: Okay, this time it's Landorus, not Magcargo, who greets Moltres. He takes 30% damage from Return.

Turn 17: He calls back Landorus for Magcargo. This was the mistake which probably cost him the match. Magcargo falls to 48% HP and its shell is weakened.

Turn 18: He expects me to switch, of course, so he Recovers. But I predict this and so decide to feint him with yet another Return. What now?

Turn 19: He devours the bait and uses Smack Down this turn. Too bad I called Moltres back for Pupitar! ;D

Turn 20: He knows I'm going to Pursuit so, rather than run away, he stays put and uses Recover. But I use Pursuit anyway because (1) if he did run away I'd regret not using it and (2) his shell is getting weakened by the second. Some more of the shell chips off and it's looking pretty good for me. He must realize that it's better to call Magcargo back now (and eat a big Pursuit) than to call him back later (and eat a fatal one), so ...

Turn 21: ... he calls Magcargo back. I pursue! 46% HP lost! This is the turn of the tide. He sends out Staravia ...

Turn 22: ... and I answer with Empoleon. He Mud-Slaps and it does meh damage despite the weakness to Ground. But more worrying to me is the accuracy drop.

Turn 23: Again he Mud-Slaps. Again my accuracy drops. And yet ... Yawn connects! He has to switch out now!

Turn 24: And switch out he does: to Manectric. I switch out to Moltres, not knowing he'd bring out Manectric but knowing he would switch and so taking advantage of that.

Turn 25: I hover for a little bit (~10 seconds) to make him think I'm contemplating switching. To make him call Manectric back. Sadly, the ruse doesn't work, and Moltres -- who I leave out on purpose -- is crippled by Thunder Wave. D: This isn't good. But what's this!? :O 51% of Manectric's life taken away with just one hit? And what's more, I now get a free switch-in thanks to his Red Card? Thanks, buddy! I send out Empoleon: just to throw him off.

Turn 26: I then immediately call Empoleon back for Pupitar, knowing he won't be able to resist the opportunity to paralyze two things in a row. I was right, and it's now Pupitar vs. Manectric. The switch-out is all but guaranteed: we've already seen it happen.

Turn 27: PURSUIT! 34% HP damage to the Manectric as he calls it back for ... Genesect. Predictable. The very reason I wanted to pursue: not only to punish the recalled Pokemon but also because Pupitar can't do shit against this guy. It's time for a switch and we both know it.

Turn 28: He can't help but to use Metal Claw. "What if Kotone is faking me out again? >_<" he thinks to himself. "What if she plans to leave Pupitar out?" So I happily switch in Empoleon to greet steel with steel.

Turn 29: Of course he runs away. YAWN WHAT HE SENDS OUT. XP

Turn 30: He expects a double switch. What he doesn't know is that I plan to get a free attack in edge-wise. And so when he sends Manectric in, expecting me to call Empoleon back, what he doesn't realize is that BOOM, this is the Jenga block which he pulls that causes the entire tower to come crashing down. Up until now, for the past thirty turns, this has been a 6v6 game. Blood has been spilled but no one has fainted yet. That all changes now. In the next six turns, you will see fireworks. Manectric dies this turn to Empoleon's Strength and the score is now 6-5. (P.S. HOORAY FOR NO STATIC! )

Turn 31: He Mud-Slaps. I yawn. You will either call that bird back or else you will lose it. Your call, but either way it is not staying out conscious.

Turn 32: He calls it back and sends in Magcargo. I send in my secret weapon, the one I've been hiding all this time, the one I couldn't risk sending out while Manectric was still on the field. Gorebyss.

Turn 33: WATERFALL! XP He might've thought I was bluffing. This was no bluff. Say hello to STABbed powerful awesomeness. 6-4.

Turn 34: Roggenrola comes out. It eats 75% damage ... and the flinches. The hax gods smile upon me.

Turn 35: What did I say? Six turns later from when the fireworks began and the score is now 6-3. What will he send out next?

Turn 36: Landorus!? XD Oh boy. WATERFALLLLLLL! 6-2.

Turns 37-47: It's pretty much over. I decide to play it safe, now that I can afford to, and sloppily switch a Pokemon into a punch in the face -- in this case, my poor paralyzed Moltres, what a trooper! -- so that we can be sure not to lose Gorebyss in case we need it to take down Genesect. Staravia eventually dies and the score is 5-1. I then have all the time and resources in the world with which to kill Genesect and eventually I do, ending the match on Turn 47 with Gorebyss, 4-0.

I dunno. It may be boring to watch a replay of rather than to have seen it in real time? This is why I offered my commentary for you, to help you to see inside my head each step of the way. That way, maybe you can at least partly recreate the extremeness of the Switching Game which showed itself in this match.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #45
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I have to say, Talon, that was an awesome match.

But something I noticed, just a tiny for-future-reference.

Quote:
Turn 23: Again he Mud-Slaps. Again my accuracy drops. And yet ... Yawn connects! He has to switch out now!
Yawn has always-hit accuracy, like Aerial Ace.
Quote:
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #46
phoopes
Double Dragon

That was a great match. I should post here sometime with a war story of my own.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #47
quintowill
Soul Badge

Send a message via AIM to quintowill Send a message via MSN to quintowill Send a message via Yahoo to quintowill Send a message via Skype™ to quintowill
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Cat...ja--2011-12-15

Contrary+ V-Create+Sun= wow...

43ko 123tp 6.5 sp
Banner by KratosAurion

Note: banner is not up to date...
quintowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #48
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The first eight turns of that match are WHAT THE HELL brow-scrunch inducing. Is the Ninetales user just not well acquainted with Pokemon battles? I can't believe he used Protect eight times in a row ... and I even more so can't believe that it worked successfully for six of them! @_@

Then comes the gimmick ... and rage was had. SPIIIIIIIINDAAAAAAAA. Contrary Spinda using a powerful Fire move in the sun and just getting stronger and stronger and stronger. And then he goes and uses Copycat ... that was just mean. That was him kicking you when you were already down. Sorry to see that you ragequit, but I can't say as I blame you.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #49
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Yeah, I've seen that strategie quite a few times, and I still don't understand why they spam Protect on the Ninetales. I understand that protect can't be called by Assist, but... why use it so much at the beginning? The first makes sense, to scout, but... to PP stall? I mean, I can kinda understand it in that match (Get rid of the fighting move user so Spinda can sweep!), but... In other matches? :/
Quote:
Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #50
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Even so, why wouldn't you attack with the Ninetales? Why wouldn't you do something like this?

Turn 1: Protect because you think they're going to Fake you Out. (Turns out he didn't. Psych! )
Turn 2: Do an attack this turn 'cause you would've done one anyway. Dark Pulse? Solarbeam? Even if it's not going to do too much damage, coming off a Ninetales and landing on a defensively-fragile Infernape, it's at least going to do something. Even in the worst case scenario, he's Sashed and you break the sash.
Turn 3: Protect.
Turn 4: Protect again if you're worried he can 2HKO you. If you suspect he can only 3HKO you, go ahead and do another attack. (Let's roll with this for now.)
Turn 5: Assuming you didn't protect last turn, you Protect this turn.
Turn 6: Okay, now you definitely have to be greedy and Protect again.

At least do something like this. The fact that he spammed Protect eight times in a row is just crazy. Like you mentioned, sure, he's probably trying to make the guy waste all 8 PP of Close Combat, but as we later saw, that Spinda would have been fucked had the guy (quinto) kept his monkey alive because he had Mach Punch on there as well. So like, this strategy just plain didn't seem prudent to me. If you're specifically worried about Fighting types like Conkledurr or Infernape ruining Spinda's fun, then why not give Ninetales Psychic instead of one of her other hallmark moves? Solarbeam's so predictable at this point in the game that you may as well delete that. Psychic would have lent this guy some meaty coverage against quinto's Infernape. It also would have been all-around handy to have since so few teams carry a Psychic-type attack these days and thus it can be a nasty surprise when folks switch in their Terrakions or their Conkledurrs.

Oh well. He won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON