UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 03-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #1901
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnrules View Post
Yeah, so they announced that Claire Corlett (Sweetie Belle) was also backing out so we'll only be left with community guests like Drawponies. (Rina-chan dropped out too apparently.) Better than nothing, but it's too bad about the pony guests. Trevor Devall was hilarious and is a very cool guy. And Matt Hill is pretty awesome. It would have been great to eat pie with him, but now we won't get any pie.

Oh well. At least we'll have brony vendors, like I heard the UNT Bronies group would still be there with their buttons and their blind bags and their Fighting is Magic booth.

I'm excited about Nightmare Nights. I'll do my darndest to get time off at around that time, but my schedule isn't as flexible as I'd like it to be so I can't be certain I'd be able to go, so I'll likely pass on the top ticket package.

Anyways, hope to see you at the con this weekend. I shouldn't be too hard to spot. I'm the morbidly obese person wearing a Rainbow Dash shirt and the Rainbow Dash backpack with the Rainbow Dash cap and carrying around a Rainbow Dash Build-a-bear plushie. XP
ah. you beat me to the punch about Claire. I'm pretty upset. they said there are subs in the works(I let them know on FB that they better be worth it), but they really blew it. Their top Pony package should be dropped and refunded because there's no one coming under it and they didn't leave due to sickness or work restricitions. Pretty much they pulled a Las Pegasus.

Where do you live? I'm up here in Denton. I can split a room at Nightmare Nights. Going all 3 days but only need Friday and Sat night for a room

You cant miss me the first day. gonna wear Nightmare Nights shirt and green Dallas Stars hat

yeah, the Brony vendors can't be kicked out cause they grabbed space before they changed Brony-fest.

Theres Q&A first think in the morning, Im sure people will ask how they lost Brony-fest guests
Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #1902
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You guys are speaking Greek to me, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaichuRocks View Post
Their top Pony package should be dropped and refunded because there's no one coming under it and they didn't leave due to sickness or work restricitions. Pretty much they pulled a Las Pegasus.
This combined with comments in the previous posts gives me the impression that:
  • there is a convention being held that is bigger than just ponies (i.e. it was never planned to be just a pony convention)
  • but was ostensibly a pony convention (in the sense that it was a convention at which MLP:FiM would be a huge feature and bronies were planning to attend and hang out in huge numbers)
  • and one which voice actresses of MLP:FiM said they would be attending
  • tickets were sold
  • including tickets that fit this "top Pony package" bill, which presumably means you paid top dollar for privileged access to the VAs or some such
  • but now the VAs, one after another after another, have backed out
  • and even the most minor VAs, never mind the bigger ones, are saying that they no longer plan to attend
Is this correct? Because if it is, then I have to say that I agree that a refund is required. Otherwise, can't the convention managers be held liable for fraud? You can't tell people "$50 buys you this! " and then mere days before the convention say "Aaaaaaaaaaaaactually you're not getting jack shit of what you paid for. " I mean, yeah: shit happens. Plane flights get delayed or canceled. Guests' children come down sick. Guests themselves break a leg, throw a disc, or come down with a terrible flu. There are legitimate reasons why VAs might have to renege on their promises to attend any particular convention. But that doesn't mean the risk should be on the shoulders of the convention goers. That risk should be shouldered by the convention managers. Nobody wants to shoulder the risk, but they're the ones I would hold ethically responsible with shouldering it. Even if up front they said "NO REFUNDS! ;O" when you bought the tickets, that's fine: that still doesn't change the fact that this feels like a fraud case waiting to happen. You can't bait people with promises of A, B, C, and D and then not deliver. That's bull.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #1903
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

That's pretty much explains everything, Talon. The only difference is that it seemed like they were initially focusing on being a pony convention, then added all that extra guests until now the only pony influence appear to be vendors. Unfortunately this isn't the first time this has happened. Something similar occurred with Las Pegasus Unicon leading to stuff like the hotel no longer offering the room rates and more. I'm not exactly sure of all the details but it did create a massive stinkfest about a year ago.

Did you get the top ticket package too, Raichu Rocks? They've been getting quite a lot of guests, but it's mostly anime voice actors so I don't see how they can possibly have the D&B event like they were planning. Maybe they'll let the people with the top ticket package go in on a dinner with Kevin Conroy and stuff, but it's not going to be the same as playing arcade games with Claire. There's somebody on the Dallas Bronies group that said he'll explain everything "once the con is a go" implying that he knows the inside scoop. We'll see what he says.

I'll be willing to do a room share for Nightmare Nights Dallas if I'm able to go, especially I live two to three hours east of Dallas, close enough to Dallas to go to all these events but not close enough to commute.

Last edited by ajnrules; 03-26-2014 at 01:10 PM.
ajnrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #1904
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

I didn't get the top ticket package for this one. I would only save that for Tabitha^^

If I want anime, I got Akon and Animefest(which is gonna be so awesome with Dai Sato returning and FLOW as the music guest)

so probably from Tyler?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #1905
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

Heh. You're a pretty hardcore Tabitha fan. I'm sure you really had a great time meeting her at Comicpalooza! (Dunno if you attended the pony game show panels, but I was the one that stupidly went for the $100 in Powers of Ten and then got my arse handed to me in Jeopardy because I was too quite. I mentioned that in my post but it probably got lost in the wall of text)
Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #1906
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnrules View Post
Heh. You're a pretty hardcore Tabitha fan. I'm sure you really had a great time meeting her at Comicpalooza! (Dunno if you attended the pony game show panels, but I was the one that stupidly went for the $100 in Powers of Ten and then got my arse handed to me in Jeopardy because I was too quite. I mentioned that in my post but it probably got lost in the wall of text)
I only took the time to get Tabitha, Libman, the Power Ranger actors, and Haldir from LOTR, and the panels for Libman and Tabitha on Friday. I drove 4 hrs to Comicpalooza and drove back the same day. I was so worn out, had to take a nap at Buc-ees before driving back home. I got 7 autographs from Tabitha lol when I got home, my winner autograph from the MLP trading card set came in, also Tabitha^^
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps0dcd269d.jpg
I have 6 of the 7 official autographs(Twilight is all I need)

here is a photo of me so you can spot me: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 03-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #1907
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

ajnrules, I think we've met before? Welcome back!
Razor Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #1908
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

Cool. It'll be great to talk ponies with other fans! But meanwhile I'll be with Raichu Rocks at Animation Celebration. New episode tomorrow!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #1909
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I enjoyed Saturday's episode quite a bit.

Spoiler: show
When the Flim and Flam Faith Healing Jamboree opened the episode I know I wasn't the only one who immediately thought "Don't let the moral be another Feelin' Pinkie Keen", but instead the story was solid, there were several funny moments as well as more of a placebo effect explanation than you'd expect from a kid's show. They played up AJ's struggle well, and I liked that she didn't try to weasel out of her untruth by saying that she didn't really lie to anyone- that would've been a Flim/Flam-like excuse. Very solid work.

I'd also like to say that this is probably my favorite bit of fanart to come out of last week's ep

Have fun at the con tomorrow, everypony.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #1910
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Getting more and more caught up.

Rarity Takes Manehattan

I'm not sure how I feel about this episode. It's hard for me to be touched by everyone, including Twilght, being so understanding of Rarity's antics when they, including Rarity, didn't give Twilight the same consideration back in "Canterlot Wedding."

Pinkie Apple Pie

This was a good episode, heartwarming and funny. So why am I so annoyed by it? Probably because, as usual, Pinkie gets all the breaks. The early episodes set up a friendship between Apple Bloom and Twilight that was never really expanded upon. Why does Pinkie get to be Apple Bloom's big sister when Twilight's the one who has actually BEEN a big sister to AB?

Rainbow Falls

Something that has been bothering me about Rainbow Dash is how arbitrary her loyalty seems to be. For someone who is supposed to embody devotion and trustworthiness, she is way too easily tempted to abandon her companions, and in this episode she had to be called out on it twice before she made the right choice. Her bad attitude, her ego, and her lack of what is supposed to be a defining trait make it difficult for me to respect her, either as a pony, or as a character. Which is a big part of why I dislike TwiDash so much.

Also, Spitfire. When she was first introduced, she was so friendly and likable. Lately, she's been portrayed as much more of a jerk, and while I'm all for expanding on a character's personality, it's jarring to see her so unpleasant compared to her early scenes. The Wonderbolts in general were first introduced as being friendly, down-to-earth ponies, but lately Soarin' seems to be the only truly nice member. On that note, I now support Soarin'xDash more than ever.

Still, this episode was worth it to see the fandom's mascot Derpy Hooves alive and well.

Three's a Crowd

I'm in two minds about this episode. On one hand I'm still opposed to "Good" Discord. He was a brilliant villain, best in the series, in my opinion. Now? He's competing with Pinkie for the random comic relief, but is far less suited to that task than Pinkie is due to being much more of an asshole. On the other, Discord going through that much trouble just because he wants Twilight to consider him a friend was kind of sweet....in a twisted, messed up kind of way. Also, jackass he may be, Discord was right. Twilight DID go to the end of Equestria for him. Imagine how far she'd go for someone she actually likes.

Also, because they were willing to put up with a Jerkass Diety like Discord just to make sure Twilight has a good day, Applejack and Rarity have regained a bit of the respect that I lost for them thanks to "Canterlot Wedding"

Pinkie Pride

I was worried about this episode. The thing that bothers me about Pinkie as a character is that she never really seems to fail, be in the wrong, or come off as less than infallible. Amy Keeting Roger has been particularly guilty of this in past episodes, so this one was a refreshing change of pace. She actually failed at some things, and actually acknowledged something she was doing wrong and fessed up to it.

Plus this wasn't Pinkie being the best at everything, it was her being challenged at the thing that defines her existence, so who couldn't feel bad for her this episode?

Cheese Sandwich isn't a bad character I think. While he's pretty similar to Pinkie, he manages to have SOME differences (Unlike say, Rainbow Dash and Daring Do) and they actually managed to give him a bit of a backstory to flesh him out. I'm not a major supporter of these two as a couple, but I can see it happening.

Of course, we're back to "Everyone in town loves Pinkie", as even Diamond Tiara doesn't hate her, so AKR still has her old habits to deal with, but a few more episodes like this one could do wonders for my opinion of Pinkie as a character.

Simple Ways

I'm not sure how I feel about this episode. Rarity and Applejack taking over each others roles was funny, but it was only in the final stretch of the episode. I liked Trenderhoof at the start, but he quickly became pointless. That may have been the point of his character though, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a "Take That!" against the completely random / nonsensical pairings this fandom is strangely obsessed with. Too bad Fluttershy and Twilight hanging out was offscreen, though.

Can't say I'm bothered by the apparent blow to Spike x Rarity. I've never really been a fan of the pairing, as Spike never really displays an interest in Rarity beyond her looks, IIRC.

Filli Vanilli

Cute episode. I was impressed with Fluttershy standing up for herself at the start, and I'm really pleased with Big Mac's singing voice, and Zecora is nearly always a good thing. Could have done without the Cheerilee x Macintosh implications. Annoyed with Pinkie, but at least she didn't get away with everything like usual.

Next up: Twilight Time. I've been both looking forward to this episode and dreading it. On one hand, I'm completely sold on the idea of an episode focusing on Twilight's friendship with the Crusaders. On the other hand, I'm NOT a big fan of Dave Polsky's episodes, as he lets me down every time except maybe "Over a Barrel".
Old 04-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #1911
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Raven View Post
Getting more and more caught up.

Simple Ways

I'm not sure how I feel about this episode. Rarity and Applejack taking over each others roles was funny, but it was only in the final stretch of the episode. I liked Trenderhoof at the start, but he quickly became pointless. That may have been the point of his character though, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a "Take That!" against the completely random / nonsensical pairings this fandom is strangely obsessed with. Too bad Fluttershy and Twilight hanging out was offscreen, though.

Can't say I'm bothered by the apparent blow to Spike x Rarity. I've never really been a fan of the pairing, as Spike never really displays an interest in Rarity beyond her looks, IIRC.
what blow? Spike wasn't worried. He was like a boss in that eppy. Trenderhoof is gonna be a one and done

no Spike interaction cause Larson isn't writing
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #1912
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

OMG Dat new episode. I love Rainbow Dash and this episode just makes me love her even more! She's just too cute and too awesome!

Plus the episode really delves into the all-important concept of education, how many people struggle with traditional learning mechanisms while their strengths lie elsewhere. One thing I loved about the episode was that it was actually Twilight that wrote the diary entry at the end because it was she that learned something about friendship.

Plus it's got this adorable scene:

Anyways, the con was fun. It sucked not having the pony guests there, but it was great visiting with fellow bronies, and having get a chance to hang out with Raichu Rocks and my friends from med school that I haven't had a chance to see for a while. Oh well, two weeks until Babscon, and I was crazy and got one of the last few High Society Passes so I'll get to go to a meet and greet with the guests! Huzzah!

Last edited by ajnrules; 04-06-2014 at 12:28 PM.
ajnrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #1913
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Probably my favorite Dash episode... ever? It had a lot of funny moments, a great message and
The scenes with all of the Ponyville folks acting things out and holding up signs to help Dashie learn to achieve her dream was really touching.

Keep up the good work Dashie and you just might climb up in my power rankings.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:09 AM   #1914
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quite probably my favorite, maybe second favorite episode of the season. The episode's message kind of hit pretty close to home for me at the moment.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:22 AM   #1915
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
The episode's message kind of hit pretty close to home for me at the moment.
Same for me with two major projects for my essays due this week, ABL has been very much the Twilight Sparkle to my Rainbow Dash (As you can see from our Visitor Messages).
Old 04-09-2014, 04:25 AM   #1916
deoxys
Fog Badge

Get back to work Muyo or I'll tattle on you to ABL
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #1917
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Should I start watching this with mid-semesters coming up?
I mean, I have some friends who love it, and I admit it's well made.
Just not sure...

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #1918
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Get back to work Muyo or I'll tattle on you to ABL
Old 04-09-2014, 04:55 AM   #1919
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenAeons View Post
Should I start watching this with mid-semesters coming up?
I mean, I have some friends who love it, and I admit it's well made.
Just not sure...
I say go for it! It's well worth a try. Aside from the two-parters, you're not going to get much in the way of cliffhangers, so there won't really be suspense that keeps you watching endlessly. I actually find that it's a really good stress reliever - I'm virtually always in a better mood after ponies than I was before!

join usssss
AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #1920
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

I'm suddenly reminded of that pony hypnosis thing my friend mentioned.
That said, now it's time to dig around and find a good source for ponies.

Voice in head shouting "Neigh." repeatedly

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #1921
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaichuRocks View Post
what blow? Spike wasn't worried. He was like a boss in that eppy. Trenderhoof is gonna be a one and done

no Spike interaction cause Larson isn't writing
Rarity complained to Spike that he doesn't know what it means to have feelings for someone who doesn't return them. Despite her making it clear in previous episodes she knows about his crush. Yeah, this episode pretty much confirms Rarity is not nor ever will be interested in Spike.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #1922
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

Yes but Spike will be forever faithful in his love for Rarity, and one day she will come to realize that Spike will be her one true soulmate.

And if you have Netflix, the first three episodes should be there. The season 4 episodes should be on the Hub website. And if not, you can always search on Dailymotion.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #1923
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Once again, I really feel that Spike has not shown an interest in Rarity beyond her looks, which is why I have my doubts about the pairing ^_^;

Yes indeed, Dailymotion is where I've been watching the episodes =)

Which "First Three Episodes"? The series itself? I'm seeing all three of the first seasons on Netflix.

Watched "Twilight Time", I'll review later, as I have to try not to ramble too much ^_^;

EDIT: Also, this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AVlUFvvnex...obbes_MLP1.PNG

Last edited by Razor Raven; 04-09-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #1924
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

The way I see it, if Spike was only interested in Rarity because of her looks he wouldn't be willing to do all of her biddings. That little guy is whole heartledly devoted to Rarity, his Dragon Code be damned.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #1925
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Unfortunately, lust can be a powerful motivator, as any teenager can attest. I want to believe in Spike, but his actions just aren't convincing me.

Dragon Code be damned indeed, in fact, that whole episode be damned.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment