UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Gokukoku no Brynhildr

When he was a child, Murakami was infatuated with a girl he called Kuroneko. She insisted on knowing about aliens and having met them, but no one believed her, even young Murakami was skeptical. One day, she decides to show him the aliens, but an accident occurs and Kuroneko dies while Murakami is left seriously wounded in the hospital.

Years go by and Murakami obsesses on finding proof of the existence of aliens because of a promise he had made with Kuroneko. Then, one day, a new transfer student comes to his class, who not only looks a lot like Kuroneko, but is named Kuroha Neko!

And even though she insists on never having met Murakami before, the girl has superhuman strength and seems to even be able to predict the future!

How will Murakami's life change now that he has been saved by this mysterious girl that claims to be a magician?

Perhaps you guys know this already, but the manga comes from Lynn Okamoto, of Elfen Lied fame. The animation is done by the exact same studio as the one that did the Elfen Lied anime. There's also girls equipped with superpowers and some very defining physical characteristics that separate them from your normal humans. Also Mad!Scientists and X-ray shots.

The manga is still on-going, but the anime is only going to have 13 episodes as far as we know.

Yeah, I'll admit, it's kinda like Elfen Lied all over again, isn't it? Or maybe it's not? Discuss!
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Why's that girl only have one arm? o_O
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Episode 1

I'll start by admitting that I do follow the manga. I have read every chapter I could get my hands on except for raw material ('cause yours truly is bad at kanji). And the very beginning of the anime leaves out two pages of the manga that "happen" before anything else, the contents of the pages making kinda clear that it's not sure if the show will continue after this season or not.

But now, to the episode!

Spoiler: show
First of all, I really like the OP. But yet again I'm reminded of Elfen Lied when the ED turns out to be super-cheery and completely against the dark vibes of the show!

Our protagonist Murakami had a rough childhood. His best friend ever, Kuroneko, died in a tragic accident that he blames himself for, but regardless he has faith that Kuroneko is alive - he never saw a body, and denial is a must in dramas, right? Anyway, Murakami's a top notch student and achieves to get a job at NASA in order to repent for Kuroneko's untimely death. To do what at NASA, you ask? Prove the existence of aliens, of course!

Yep. Let that sink in for a minute.

Soon enough there's a transfer student at Murakami's high school - one Kuroha Neko, who just happens to look exactly like Kuroneko.

A large portion of the episode is spent with "YOU SO ARE KURONEKO!" "I SO AM NOT, BAKA!" that it gets just a tiny bit annoying. We also discover that Kuroha is quite...dumb for someone who goes to high school. Multiplication tables, anyone?

And then Kuroha warns Murakami to stay in the observatory instead of taking the bus home one day. A radio with some freaky info coming out of it tells Kuroha that "the forecast has changed", and after Kuroha has a flashback outside....Murakami does what every male protagonist would do, and walks home when specifically told not to go home at all. Right when the mysteriously sudden rain causes a mud avalanche.

Now guess who saves whom from death, and how?

Kuroha blasts away a huge rock that's about to crush Murakami. She then proceeds to tell him that she's a witch. Murakami processes that Kuroha doesn't have the same moles under her arms that Kuroneko did.

Oh yeah and Kuroha's a witch who escaped from a top-secret research facility and has a mechanic plug in her neck as well as drug-induced superpowers.

BUT SCREW THAT NO MOLES SO NO KURONEKO. End of episode.

Good lord I want to make a list of the things this show already has in common with Elfen Lied. If you think the first episode is a great offender at this, the manga has made the similarity list longer and longer and longer.

I love Elfen Lied. Brynhildr is similar, but the cast is larger and there's less of the psychological stuff - the amount of gore is going to increase in future episodes, though. The first episode starts off a little slow; but if the studio really wants to push out as much of the story as the OP suggests, we might have some pretty fast-paced episodes coming up. Things are cut, as they always are with these one-cour-adaptions, but it's not actually too bad. I'll definitely watch this one to the end and just pray the ending won't be as improvised as it was for Elfen Lied.
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Why's that girl only have one arm? o_O
She has two arms. Maybe the black sleeve-things make the other one hard to see, but she has all of her limbs intact. ^^;;
Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This really didn't strike me as similar to Elfen Lied, beyond the 'magical girlfriend' angle. Rather, it had a lot more in common with Another. The pool vortex and rainstorm avalanche were just ridiculously over-the-top.

I'm not impressed, although the MC "Murakami" tempted me. Being intelligent and perceptive is a plus, but he isn't homogenous, and combines those traits with being shrill and immature. You feel like, aside from his education, he's just a bigger version of his kid self, and not a true high school student.

I was disappointed that there's going to be a harem. Another got by with only an OTP, we don't need no stickin' harem.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

The harem incidentally contains gothic Byakuren and schoolgirl Alice. Also an armpit fetish.

The kids are out looking for aliens, espers, and time travelers! And this literary guy is the only member of his club left since all the upperclassmen graduated. And there's a mysterious transfer student who is clearly not a student because she's an airhead who forgot everything.

Also a Shoggoth.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

It's not a harem anime, you dolts.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Ohey I'm watching this!

I like the first episode. Dat OP tho.

So I like it. Astronomy is pretty fun. The Kuroneko/new girl looked exactly similar, except lolnope moles. I'm curious as to how this will develop. She has FUTURE-DETECTING ABILITIES and superpower. Wow.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Kuroneko didn't actually 'die', but got transferred to another place for some scientific research project or something. Especially since how she didn't reveal her name - feels like a codename sort of.

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Watched the first episode.

The plot feels really contrived, but it's definitely interesting. I like the atmosphere, astronomy is cool.

Morg already mentioned the startling resemblances to Haruhi.

We've even got the MC asking a girl to show him her mole to prove her identity! And getting bitchpunchedslapped for it!

Kinda wonder if Kuroha (oh god that name) is an alien who took on Kuroneko's appearance. Like body-snatchers or something.

Also why couldn't they have just found a straw/tube or something for the swimmer girl so she could breathe? That whole scene seemed kinda silly and unrealistic, with the way everyone accepted the pool collapsing as "luck". *shrug*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 2 Electric Boogaloo

Much improved.

Main guy seems to have sprout a back-bone and he's realized Kuroha is moe. The harem grows one larger with the prickly tsundere Nana-chan. I'm sad Kaede went all Wicked Witch of the West though, I figured the duo would rescue her.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Episode 2

The teacher assumes they know each other, after she slapped him on the first day for making that same assumption.

Naked girls as science experiments and evil researchers and splatter. Starting to look more like Elfen Lied!

Byakuren's text-to-speech converter sure does convey a lot of emotion!

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Episode 02:

Things still feel a bit too convenient(?), but the plot and characters are certainly intriguing.

I'm starting to suspect maybe the MC actually died and he's living a false life or something. The placement of the family photo felt too focused to be insignificant. We haven't seen his parents yet in the present.

Also seemed kinda weird they waited until he was out of the hospital to tell him Kuroneko died "instantly". I mean, I get maybe not wanting to tell him right away and traumatize him as he's recovering, but couldn't they have claimed that she died while in the other hospital at least to save face so they don't look like complete asses liars?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 AM   #13
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Episode 2

Wow, poor Kurote. That part looked kinda gross. And harem +1. Wonder when the other harems will show up.

So we also kind of learn how vulnerable they are and how they are formed out of. It's certainly more than just 'punishment' when you get recaptured, you get melted into goo. Eww.

Introduction of the family!

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Jumpluff

So I started watching this show! It's kinda silly at times, but I like it. Booby fee~

Episode 05 was sad though.

*inb4 the cat was actually leading the girl to her death*
Old 05-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #15
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Episode 06:

This show is getting pretty good! I want more. =U

Kinda silly how Kotori didn't think to switch places with Kikako, but given how she was established to be pretty dumb I thought it worked out. Hooray for less convenient bullshit. \o/

The middle part was full of feels. ;; "Happy Birthday." (Pretty piano BGM too.)

The "camping" scene was a lot of fun, despite the fanservice. It wasn't over-the-top or anything though and actually kinda cute to see how comfortable they all are around each other now.

Meeting the scientist was quite entertaining too. I like how he drinks his tea without even lifting the handle. XP
Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #16
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Finished this series. Tbh, I thought it was pretty cute for the most part, if a lot kinda silly at times. The cast was surprisingly likeable (Kotori~), and even though it was harem/fanservice-y I thought the level of comfort they felt around each other as friends was sweet.

The ending, uh, got really weird though. ^^; Confused on what happened during the credits as well. Felt very rushed. Kaisa said it was in the manga, and I'm curious what else wasn't covered since I saw a huge spoiler from the first few pages. Might check it out at some point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime