UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #376
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Sorry, I got busy and I'm behind, but I did watch episode 08. I have my own multi-level marketing story to tell:

Something like five years ago, I spotted a dude doing bench press in the gym (of course, he claimed that he used to be bench 100 more pounds 5 years ago. That should have been the first red flag right there) and then he started talking about how he was working hard at building his "business," asked me if I was happy with my job ("eh not really") and said that he had a really good business opportunity for me. Curious, I asked him what it was, but he was extremely vague and just kept talking about how he's continuing to build his "business" and went on and on about how his "mentor" made $15,000 a month doing the same thing. I kept asking him what it was but he REFUSED to tell me and remained vague. Instead, he gave me a small book and told me that if I was interested in the business opportunity, I should read it and then meet him at a coffee shop in a couple days. I read the book, and it was a Robert Kiyosaki book talking about how people who work wage jobs are sheep, and you're reading this book because you're NOT a sheep, etc. etc. It then moved on to talk about how one example of how you can make tons of money is if you use your genius marketing skills to convince 10 people to buy products off you, then each of them in turn will find 10 people to buy products, and each of them will find 10 more people, and on and on it goes, and you'll get a cut from ALL those hundreds of saplings that you planted!

Since the book only appeared to give that as one example of making money, and that didn't appear to be the whole point of the book, I still wasn't connecting the dots and didn't know what the guy was getting at by giving me this book. To be honest, I thought that he might be a drug dealer and that's the reason why he was being vague and mysterious lol. At the time, I was watching Breaking Bad and the idea of being a drug dealer was kinda romantic to me, and I thought hmmm maybe I should try this out!

I met with the guy at the coffee shop and I demanded that he give it to me straight WHAT exactly the business opportunity was. I "joked" that I was wondering if he was asking me to become a drug dealer because he was so vague. He laughed and said no, but if I want to find out what the business opportunity is, I need to meet him at this big gathering that's going to take place in a conference room downtown. Dress semi-formal. Disappointed that I wasn't going to become the next meth kingpin, I was like: "Errrr, okay. Maybe I'll meet you there?" and went home. That's when I realized that this was probably some scam bullshit. I happened to notice that he was wearing a shirt that said "Nutri[something, I forget what the company name was exactly]." I Googled the name and found out they were a "multi level marketing company" (I had never heard of the term before), did some research on what it was, and that's when I finally realized it was some stupid pyramid scheme.

I'm guessing that the reason why the guy refused to tell me what the "business opportunity" was was because he was trained to be vague with people he's trying to recruit so he can get them to attend that gathering he was talking about (probably resembled that guy giving the presentation in the Tonegawa episode), where all his guys could team up, rah rah to the target about how much money they're making and he can too, then pressure him to buy a bunch of products and sell them to all his friends and family.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 09-06-2018 at 12:04 AM.
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #377
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Up through episode 11, which really hit it out of the park.

I'm happy to see it doesn't feel like -another- Saul or Fear the Walking Dead.
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #378
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tonegawa Episode 11:

Spoiler: show
This was easily the best filler we've had yet. Filler (in the sense that it didn't advance the main Kaiji-games plot any) ... but excellently entertaining. Roughly divided into 20-40-40 portion sizes, we'll take each story in turn.

Tonegawa, Hyoudou, & Tunnels: This was a cute little arc. Not much to write here; the enjoyment is in the experience watching it. lol @ the dropped signals and Hyoudou's escalation of reactions to each. lol @ the sincere, brief glimpse at life for many Japanese business executives and how utterly overworked they are.

Tonegawa & the Kansai Branch: This was another funny little story. I felt bad for everyone involved not named Kinezaki. One viewer questions how Kinezaki could fail so badly at reading the mood, but this scene works principally because it is so familiar to us from real life. I was surprised that the scene didn't end with Tonegawa firing Kinezaki, singling him out as the reason the Kansai branch is struggling. Indeed, it felt like Tonegawa left Osaka without having properly solved the branch's problems. (Yes, they were all working on time management, but still .... =\)

The Fashion Boom: It was interesting to see a Vs. story between our two most developed suits, Yamazaki and Saemon-Saburou. And it was satisfying to watch Yamazaki come out on top. Hooray for loyalty! Hooray for smartassery losing in the end! A lot of fans have pointed out that this is where we finally get to see Saemon-Saburou fail at something. But man! THAT BLACKFACE! ^^;; Only in Japan!

I really enjoyed the final bit of this scene, with Tonegawa giving the men fashion advice suited to the business world elite. The references to Harajuku and Marunouchi were especially nice. Harajuku is known as one of Japan's fashion capitals, but it's also known as being incredibly popular with the young crowd. Teens and adults in their 20s. Meanwhile, Marunouchi is famous for being Tokyo's economic center. It's a no-bullshit place where all the banks and major corporations are headquartered. So it just makes perfect sense to say, "Harajuku? No! You want Marunouchi," and have Tonegawa lead the way to a $10,000-per-suit Men's Warehouse in Tokyo's banking district. I dunno. I'm having trouble putting into words all the little nice things I liked about this scene, but there were many and they so intricately worked together. I liked it a lot.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #379
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tonegawa Episode 12:

Hoooooooooooooly shit. Best episode yet? Hard to say, but maybe. Best filler yet? Absolutely. Back-to-back excellent fillers we've been having.

This episode defines what it is to be a "dark comedy." The episode is frighteningly dark with how they take this sweet old man off the street and Clockwork Orange him into a broken Hyoudou mimic. Yet at the same time, it is both hilarious throughout and downright heartwarming at the end when the episode takes on the new angle of a boy (Yamazaki) and his dog (Masayan) who is abandoned against his owner's wishes yet manages to make his way home. Like ... I don't even know what to say about this episode. How can I be happy that they ruined a woman's husband(?) like this? He went from being a friendly, mentally-stable Green Peace type to becoming an insane asylum patient ... But at the same time, I'm happy for Yamazaki that he got to keep his "dog". ^^;;

It's also supremely interesting for the main Kaiji canon if they do indeed decide to go with Tonegawa as official canon. So far, we'll assume not. But if they do, then we would then have in our Kaiji canon an official body double of Hyoudou's who looks just like him, lacks Hyoudou's mental acuity, and somewhere deep down inside (if they can dredge it up past all the wreckage ) a good heart. And to top it all off, Hyoudou doesn't even know of Masayan's existence. Would be really, really crazy to see if Masayan played into the Kaiji endgame wherein they dethrone Kazutaka Hyoudou, replace him with Masayan without telling anyone else in the company, and then from the top down Masayan helps them to deconstruct Hyoudou's criminal empire and becomes the true "Love Emperor".

... Oooooooooooor he could just be a comically crazy man who looks just like Hyoudou.

I think I would be so much less conflicted on this episode if Masayan had been some random homeless person they picked up off the street and if he had already been somewhat crazy / deranged. Then, I think, I wouldn't feel quite as bad. But here, they took a mentally-sound man and fucked his brain up ... And they took a man who lived in a warm, happy world and brought him to a dungeon where he has to burn his fingers on sizzling-hot steaks every day. I dunno, man. It's just ... I don't do dark comedy, but for those who do this episode will be one of the greatest anime episodes in years. That's all I can say.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:22 AM   #380
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tonegawa Episode 13:

This was a pretty fucking solid episode. Don't know that I'd call it my favorite or the best or anything like that, but it's easily in the top cut. Well-paced, well-written, entertaining from start to finish ... Characteristic of a Tonegawa episode, I was captivated.

Surprised by the author's decision to keep the gag going of having the suits be physically inside the boxes counting the cards manually. I thought for sure that was just going to be a temporary thing for the trial run. But it looks like the gag was too good, too beloved by both the author and fans for him to part with it. Me personally, I'm torn on it. I dislike its implications for canon Kaiji -- it makes Teiai out to be too incompetent -- but I do like it for how otherwise delightful it is.

Equally surprised, though I shouldn't be, that Restricted RPS is a multi-time thing. I was thinking that it was a one-off and that Kaiji was a part of its maiden and only voyage. But come to think of it, it's true: I haven't seen Kaiji in a long time, but they do state that some of the debtors (Funai included?) are repeat attendees, don't they?

Tonegawa-Yamazaki has been a wonderful relationship to watch unfold. I really hope that if anything from this series works its way into the Kaiji canon, and if Tonegawa should ever come back up again in the plot, it's Yamazaki.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #381
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
This series wasn't strong enough on its own to sustain my interest (and also hurt that they replaced Tonegawa's CV) but I might pick it up again given this is a remarkable anime season with a lot of watchable titles.

That said, do we add this one to the list?

Ichinichi Gaishutsuroku Hanchou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livechart.me
A humorous spin-off of "Tobaku Hakairoku Kaiji" detailing how foreman Ootsuki spends his day trips to the surface.
Foreman Ootsuki! That fat fudge who Kaiji beat in the first arc of season 2. He gets his own spinoff?!

Airing October 10!!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #382
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tonegawa, I can watch. The asshole who led the bad guys during the chinchiron arc, I cannot watch. I don't understand how or why someone would even want to give him his own spin-off. I ... will have to give a hard pass to that one for now. Someone will have to convince me it's worth the pick-up later if I'm to ever watch it.

What's next? An Andou spin-off?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #383
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tonegawa Episode 14:

What is there to say? The episode was decently enough entertaining, but:
  • there's no way I'd watch a 13-episode show of this
  • I cannot fathom how this has managed to become a multi-volume manga
  • the Ootsuki spin-off, much like the Tonegawa spin-off, delights in reminding us that everyone is human and that unlike in the cartoons even the worst of people typically have positive human attributes to which we can relate
Ootsuki is still a scumbag rotten bastard, but the second half of this episode well illustrates his nicer side with the omelette fried rice and all that's attached to it.

That stated, holy fucking shit at how he (in a lot of people's opinions, I'm sure) utterly, utterly wastes the first half of his day passes. I would be so pissed if I were one of the underground miners and I found out that this was how he was spending them. Sure, he's free to spend his day passes as he sees fit, make no mistake about that! But still! What a sad, sorry waste to spend hours picking the lint off of your socks! Or to sleep away -- not lie down and enjoy the sights and sounds and smells, but to sleep away! -- eight hours on a hard, uncomfortable grassy knoll! You might as well sleep underground! What the hell's wrong with you, man!? I think this gets back to and well illustrates Ootsuki's psychopathy: how he enjoys lording over others. Even if no one is there to witness it (and even that's not true, and Ootsuki knows it: even he knows the suits are watching), Ootsuki derives pleasure from the knowledge that he is so "wealthy" relative to the other miners that he can piss away as meaningless the surface hours that others would fight tooth and nail to attain. Assuredly, it makes him feel like a king, that he can while away the surface hours picking his nose or taking a nap! But still, man. Still. It's pretty fucked up how he's wasting these hours when they could be used by the miners to rendezvous with loved ones, to conduct business, to enjoy things not discoverable underground ... literally anything else besides what Ootsuki did the first 12-18 hours he was there.

His first lunch on the surface seemed like a very Japanese sketch. Even I had to kind of stretch the limits of my understanding of Japanese culture to appreciate just what a dick move Ootsuki's behavior was. I really didn't feel like it deserved an entire half of an episode. Really? You're really that bothered, random suit dude, that Ootsuki can drink beer midday but you can't?

The second sketch seemed a whole lot more human-relatable. A shared experience just about all of us have had. Whether that's revisiting an old haunt (check), whether it's being presented with an unexpected option after you had your mind set on something else (check), whether it's unintentionally going with that new and untested option because you open your mouth and your curiosity takes over (check), whether it's rationalizing with yourself that things won't be so bad (check), whether it's things being worse than you imagined (check), whether it's things being better than you first imagined and certainly better than you most recently though (check), and of course -- last but not least -- whether that's somebody remembering you who you didn't think would remember you and them giving you a little something special (check ).

But like ... okay, you showed us two different little side stories of what Ootsuki likes to do when he goes to the surface. I really don't think I'm much interested in seeing more. As sympathetic as you may try to make him -- damn you and showing us hippie musician Ootsuki! :shakefist: -- at the end of the day he's a piece of shit and I really don't want to watch more of his story of how he enjoys his days on the surface that he obtains by cheating and ruining the lives of others.

Hopefully this was a one-off and it's back to business as usual next week for Tonegawa. I'd still give the episode a grumble grumble 7/10. I just don't want to see any more, is all.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #384
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks. Episode 15 really bummed me out for being a second Ohtsuki episode, and then I didn't get a chance to watch 16 or 17 until tonight. But I've just now caught up on both of those, so ... no post for 15 , and will go ahead and write separate halves for 16 and 17.

Tonegawa Episode 16:

This episode was one of the best episodes in the entire series. Regrettably, my viewing experience was soured by a family member's continual interruptions that a) required me to keep pausing, breaking tempo, and b) placing me in a bad mood, ruining enjoyment. But the episode was great enough that despite these factors even I was able to still enjoy it quite a bit. Will have to re-watch it at a later date.

This episode had it all. Character development. Character introduction (kinda/sorta) of a canon character. Comedy. Tension/Excitement. It was one of those magical episodes that feels like it's an hour long, in the best possible way, despite only being half that length. All in all? A solid fucking episode. That stated, I'm not sure I'd call it the best of the series so far. #highstandards But it was really, really good.

Everything pre-horses was fine. Don't have too much to say other than 1) it's annoying that Tonegawa is so bummed out by Kurosaki even though clearly Hyoudou values Tonegawa over Kurosaki given their respective ranks, and 2) it's still nice though to see how even Tonegawa has people within the company he is rivals with / afraid of taking his job. That aside, not too much to say. You should just go watch that sketch for yourself.

Once the horses are introduced though, it's "off to the" proverbial "races". Man, is that entire gag done well from start to finish. So engrossed was I in the story that I didn't even think to call the existence of Makkurosaki / Darkurosaki, much less call it. Again, I don't know how much I can or really even should say here. This is just an experience best experienced for one's self. Go and (re-)watch it, and then accept my simple seal of approval.

P.S. Did you guys catch that one of the horses was named Mikoko's Power?

Tonegawa Episode 17:

This episode, while not quite as good as the previous one, was still an A-grade episode. I really enjoyed it from start to finish. It's sad to see that we've now lost three more black suits, bringing our casualty count up from one to four. But the four casualties were none of them fan favorites -- or at least, I didn't much care about Nagata, Hagio, or Kikuchi -- so I'm relieved at least that we weren't losing a better character.

Indeed, the episode had me scared the entire time that it was going for the (to me, obvious) sucker punch of, "Oh, wait? You thought that these three were going away? PSYCH! -- IT'S YAMAZAKI! " and that the episode was going to go for the gag-twist of, "Y'know, Yamazaki, for someone who kept thinking 'Obviously the transfer himself never finds out about the transfer prematurely, despite however else much evidence of other people's transfers he may come to learn,' you sure did overlook the possibility that you yourself were being transferred and we were all keeping it a secret from you! " Thankfully, the episode didn't go in that direction and we got to keep our most developed black suit.

I don't much mind the twist at the end of the episode that Tonegawa himself was once transferred to this tropical island and had to work his way back up the corporate ladder. I guess what I do mind / what I do wonder about is, how long ago did it happen to him? It would have to be long enough ago that none of the current suits would've heard about it through the grapevine, yet recent enough that Tonegawa was in the employ of Teiai and that Hyoudou was wanting those specific seaweed-based supplements. Anyway , it was a fun twist ending for the guys and some added character development for Tonegawa.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #385
Talon87
時の彼方へ

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!

Tonegawa Episode 18:

The first time I have really, truly, fully loved an Ootsuki episode from start to finish. And the craziest thing of all is ... I was already at the 10/10 point before the final scene, and then THIS FRICKIN' CHAPTER COMES ALONG AND, for its icing on the cake, DECIDES TO GIVE ME A HILARIOUS TONGUE-IN-CHEEK REFERENCE TO MY FAVORITE ANIME MOVIE. Just ... WHAT!? XD I did not expect that! What a surprise! What a delightful, hilarious surprise!

Wow oh wow oh wow. I went into the intermission thinking, "I am going to post on UPN about how I really rather enjoyed the Tonegawa/Doushita skit but then got bummed out by more Ohtsuki." But no. Oh wow. Man. This Ohtsuki chapter was amazing.

... That stated, I still don't want anymore Ohtsuki and hope this is the last we see of him hijacking Tonegawa's show.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The sketch with Doushita was pretty good. Our first solid look at the character, and surprisingly it doesn't end with his termination. I thought for sure he was either going to get himself fired by Tonegawa for annoying Tonegawa too much or else he was going to get himself canned by Hyoudou/somebody else and it was going to be a point of mixed feelings for Tonegawa. Pretty surprised the sketch ended as it actually did.

The bathroom stall scene with the tonkatsu was pretty great. I was a little annoyed, though, that Tonegawa had all that time yet didn't even budge to hide the food. For sure, if it had been me in his position, I would have at least desperately stuffed it under my suit jacket or (more desperately) inside the water tank of the toilet.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #386
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What's your favourite anime movie? I have absolutely no idea what you're referencing here!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #387
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
What's your favourite anime movie? I have absolutely no idea what you're referencing here!
Kimi no Na wa is, if not No.1, a strong contender for it. (Grave of the Fireflies is more objectively "a masterpiece that belongs in a museum". The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi is for sure the No.1 but I don't even think of it as a movie -- if we do count it as a movie, which ofc makes sense to, then it's the No.1 instead. I don't know if Spirited Away or anything else I have seen can come close to Haruhi or Kimi no Na wa, though. Those two are pretty far and away in 1st and 2nd places.) And so that stated ...

YouTube link for the undoubtedly short amount of time that it still works.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #388
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

rofl, that seems horribly inappropriate in a Fukumoto universe unless you succumb to the yaoi memes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #389
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
rofl, that seems horribly inappropriate in a Fukumoto universe unless you succumb to the yaoi memes.
Not sure if you watched the episode yet or not, but the last five to eight minutes get increasingly homo-erotic uhh .......... "suggest-ey". It's all played for laughs, but like ...

The joke-suggestion is that their relationship goes from a bromance to a romance. Or more exhaustively, that it goes:

strangers -> animosity (Ohtsuki @ other guy) -> respect -> bromance -> romance

The bromance aspect is undeniable; or, if one were to deny it, one would have to place us somewhere in the transition zone between respect and bromance.

But the use of visual gag imagery kinda pokes fun at the notion that the "bromance" might actually be a budding romance, har dee har har ...

... And then they run with it all the way.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #390
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tonegawa Episode 19:

Nishiguchi Saeko ... *kyun*

This was a pretty great episode. A half, 5/5; B half, 4/5. Let's dive right in, shall we?

A half - Nishiguchi Saeko: The introduction of our first ever female black suit! And man oh man does this character writing play to every possible strength. Having all of the men have a crush on her, Tonegawa excepted ... Having her be Teiai material and yet totally, totally the stereotypical OL ... Having her be ridiculously moe with the Hakata-ben, the imouto kyara, and all the other things ... And perhaps above all, keeping her Teiai credentials shrouded in mystery!, allowing us to continue to fawn after her for the time being like the moe princess she is, quite possibly unawares of the beast that lies beneath ...! The presentation here was just about perfect.

B half - Yaotome Ataru: I really hate this character. But I suppose that's the point. He's stupidly toady and yet, similar to Kurosaki from a couple of weeks ago, nothing he says in front of Hyoudou ever seems to backfire. But unlike Kurosaki, Yaotome is utterly unqualified to be so high ranking at Teiai so quickly. All he is is a sycophant. Aside from his possible keen sense of salesmanship (i.e. his keen sense of his targets' psychology, and what he can best do or say to "seal the deal"), he hasn't shown that he has anything of what it takes to make it at a loans & collections agency like Teiai. I'm glad the episode ends with his promotion to secretary in that it simultaneously 1) removes him from Team Tonegawa so I don't have to put up with him anymore and 2) still keeps him lower ranked than either Tonegawa or Kurosaki. But like the narrator says! Yaotome's ascent to No.2 could be just around the corner.

... Okay, but seriously: can we talk about how charming Nishiguchi Saeko is?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime