Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #26
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
So last night as I was finally going to bed at around 1 AM I noticed a new Chuuni-episode had arrived. Results: lost sleep and tons of screencaps.

Spoiler: show

Say whatever else you like, but Rikka has some mad skills when it comes to drawing.
She got some mad skillz.

Quote:

Which Senshi is your favorite?

Oh wow, Rikka, let's not move to the next base that fast!

Yeah, he's wearing the fabulous shirt. D'awww.

Once again, you remind/reveal to me just how much subtle fanservice there is in this show. ^^; Not that I mind much since they're usually so silly. XP Especially those last two.

Quote:

And then it got even better.

Guess what, I learned how to make proper .gifs!
Okay, we need avatars of those. Now. Preferably a full version of the second one.

Quote:
Considering the context of the show, I'm not surprised that MBF didn't just laugh in her face and scurry away to tell everybody within hearing distance. But we get a chance to enjoy some more Bitchtani - which I enjoy faaaaaar more than the pretentious class rep front she tries to keep up.
Isshiki turned out to be surprisingly nice about it. Despite his overt perversion, he does seem like a good guy at heart. I'm sure Taniguchi would've laughed.

Quote:
[center]I'll offer my two cents on the ranking issue. While, for example, BBB said something to the effect of "MC was at the top of the ranking, why would she be upset?", I'd like to point out that there also have to be bottom-ranks. If you end up at the bottom of a popularity poll, you're that much more susceptible to getting bullied - and how would you feel if the class you're supposed to be in for three years decided that you're the least attractive girl in class? Personally, I think it'd more than make way for issues with body image and self-confidence.

In short, it's better not to let the guys make those rankings (at least on that scale and publicly) than give any more fuel to the fire known as the bullying problem in Japanese schools.

Also, if MBF is anything like he makes himself out to be, he's probably been stalking the girls and writing down personal information like the three sizes, dis/likes, personal notes etc. Would you want your personal information circling the school without your permission?

I might be completely wrong here, but it's how I viewed the whole thing.
Hm, you have a point about the bullying problem.

While it may not have been made with the intent of harming anyone, as soon as it's out in the open it does present possible fuel for fire. Who's to say the girls didn't also pass it amongst themselves and formed biased opinions of their own before someone came forward with it? Even if it were the other way around, I imagine a nerdy guy would feel hurt/betrayed if he were ranked last and got picked on as a result.

I just think the way they dealt with it was a bit excessive, singling out the men like that and interrogating them in front of everyone. If the over-the-top drama was meant to be humorous, it made me more uncomfortable for them instead since I couldn't tell whether it was supposed to be taken seriously or not (unlike the shaving scene). Though I suppose in the practical sense it is the easiest way to find the culprit, and Isshiki offered up the physical punishment himself - it's not like they were necessarily planning to go that far in the first place, right?

Quote:
Overall, I enjoyed this episode. It's really hard to dislike or hate anything in this show.
Agreed. There's just always plenty of pleasing entertainment, and any complaints I have are mild or nit-picky. In this case the main issue is more of a broad cultural and moral debate, not necessarily a reflection of the show itself.

Quote:
Except the fact that apparently there won't be any more Lite-episodes. GAAAAAAAAAH-!
Aw, really? =( I didn't have much to say about the last one surprisingly, now I wish I had appreciated it more. ;;

Btw, on BBB's "plot twist" warning:

I just remembered episode 10 was pretty much when shit hit the fan in Haruhi too. Coincidence?

Can't say I'm looking forward to the possibility of magic being real either, but if they do decide to go that route, here's hoping they can pull it off...
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #27
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Okay, we need avatars of those. Now. Preferably a full version of the second one.
Something like this?

Quote:
Btw, on BBB's "plot twist" warning:

Can't say I'm looking forward to the possibility of magic being real either, but if they do decide to go that route, here's hoping they can pull it off...
I'd personally suggest the following:
Rikka somehow loses her chuuni - which at first makes Yuuta all happy, but then he realizes that Rikka isn't Rikka or happy without her delusions, and he starts a mission to get it back.
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Something like this?

A++ avatar and sig combo. Would use them now if I weren't already happy with my Midna theme. <3 (Plus slight spoilers, I guess.)

Edit- Oh dang, you beat me to it. So much for spoilers then. XD Can I still claim the sig? (Unless you'd like to use it as well, which I wouldn't object to. \o/)

Saved anyway, thanks. (Don't suppose you can get them any cleaner though? ^^; )

Quote:
I'd personally suggest the following:
Rikka somehow loses her chuuni - which at first makes Yuuta all happy, but then he realizes that Rikka isn't Rikka or happy without her delusions, and he starts a mission to get it back.

Kinda ties into your theory for next episode, eh?

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 11-08-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
A++ avatar and sig combo. Would use them now if I weren't already happy with my Midna theme. <3 (Plus slight spoilers, I guess.)

Edit- Oh dang, you beat me to it. So much for spoilers then. XD Can I still claim the sig? (Unless you'd like to use it as well, which I wouldn't object to. \o/)

Still saved, thanks. (Don't suppose you can get them any cleaner though? ^^; )

Gah, forgot to change the avatar back. x.x *fixed*

It's hard to make them cleaner unless a bigger size is alright...I think I'll still leave professional giffing to other people. ^^; I can get clean screencaps, but video is a whole nother story!

To pretend to stay on topic, found this little picture (no spoilers):
Old 11-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Gah, forgot to change the avatar back. x.x *fixed*

It's hard to make them cleaner unless a bigger size is alright...I think I'll still leave professional giffing to other people. ^^; I can get clean screencaps, but video is a whole nother story!

To pretend to stay on topic, found this little picture (no spoilers):
Okay, now I almost want to use that as my avatar/sig to troll Talon. XP *shot*
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #31
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Okay, now I almost want to use that as my avatar/sig to troll Talon. XP *shot*
Wha- he doesn't like this show?!

...we really are turning into the Chuuni Brigade, aren't we?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #32
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Wha- he doesn't like this show?!

...we really are turning into the Chuuni Brigade, aren't we?
We should make T-shirts! Mine will be read as "Lil Blue", obviously. ^~
Old 11-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #33
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

What is 8th Grader Syndrome?

I've never had it.

Maybe I should start having it.

(Translated: I do believe I will watch this)
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #34
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
What is 8th Grader Syndrome?

I've never had it.

Maybe I should start having it.

(Translated: I do believe I will watch this)
lilblue, we have a potential new member! 83
Welcome to the lair of the followers of the Wicked Eye~!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #35
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
lilblue, we have a potential new member! 83
Welcome to the lair of the followers of the Wicked Eye~!
He shall be number Zilch! Codename: Dark Thunder Master!

(Get it? Because "rai" means "thunder"? *shot*)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #36
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Where do you guys get your episodes from?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #37
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

We're not allowed to post links. I'll PM you.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #38
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I have decided. On Monday, I shall wait for everyone else to leave school, and then the computer lab shall be my theater. It shall be glorious. I will marathon.
Quote:
Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Given your guys' insane enthusiasm for this series, decided to just ignore the MC loli and push ahead with watching. Have now seen Episodes 03 and 04. Dekomori (blonde loli with ridiculous twin ponytails) is even more loli-blegh than Rikka. However, I do at least like that she seems to be channeling the spirit of Suisei Seki (speech habits, behavior). As for Nibutani, she's definitely the Mai Waifu character of the series and so Episode 04 was entertaining what with the plot developments there. But ... I still don't see how you guys are liking this more than Hyouka, let alone 2012's truly greatest programs. ^^; "No accounting for taste," I guess. Personally, I can see why Kyoto Animation skipped this one over and stalled for years before caving in and animating it. To put it simply, it's a waste of their time and talents. The animation is insanely gorgeous and it makes me wish they'd have graced another show with their talents instead. But at least you girls are enjoying it.

Current main character ranking would be Nibutani > the main dude > Dekomori > Sleepy Senpai = Rikka. I'd like to rank the sleepy girl higher than this but for now I can't. She's just such a one-trick pony. ^^;

I feel bad for the main dude though. Nibutani seemed so interested in him only for it to turn out that she just wanted to find all the copies of her old blog notes and destroy them. ^^; Aside from when she's a bit of a bitch, she is SO HAWT. [/inappropriate] I'd still ship those two before "Where do babies come from? " Lolita Rikka.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #40
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
As for Nibutani, she's definitely the Mai Waifu character of the series and so Episode 04 was entertaining what with the plot developments there.

[]

Current main character ranking would be Nibutani > the main dude > Dekomori > Sleepy Senpai = Rikka. I'd like to rank the sleepy girl higher than this but for now I can't. She's just such a one-trick pony. ^^;

I feel bad for the main dude though. Nibutani seemed so interested in him only for it to turn out that she just wanted to find all the copies of her old blog notes and destroy them. ^^; Aside from when she's a bit of a bitch, she is SO HAWT. [/inappropriate] I'd still ship those two before "Where do babies come from? " Lolita Rikka.
Back off, both Nibeautani/bitchani's mine. *hiss*

Current rankings are:

Nibutani = Rikka > Yuuta > Dekomori = Sleepy Senpai

P.S. Yuuta x Rikka 4eva. <3

Quote:
But ... I still don't see how you guys are liking this more than Hyouka, let alone 2012's truly greatest programs. ^^;
Because Hyouka was boring and this is actually entertaining? *shot* "No accounting for taste", indeed. =3=
Old 11-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Having just finished Episode 05, I think you're off your rocker to call this series more entertaining than Hyouka. ^^;

And I'm pretty sure I was all "Nibutani <3" before you gave two shits about her. See: who posted about liking her first in Episode 01 thoughts-posts. Nonetheless, if you want to insist that she's your Waifu of the Year, you can have her no contest. Because there were way bigger and better waifus this year. (Irisviel, Chitanda, Asuna, ...)

Episode 05 was kinda lame. A waste of time other than that it firmly established that Rikka's an outcast with no friends outside of the club and her sister (but we could've already guessed that -_-; ) and that it set the stage a bit for Yuuta x Rikka, a ship I still think is unappetizing given just how juvenile / immature this girl is in both body and mind. But whatever, so far romance has been pretty much on the back burner and perhaps the author will pleasantly keep it that way for this series.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #42
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Having just finished Episode 05, I think you're off your rocker to call this series more entertaining than Hyouka. ^^;
I think you're off your rocker to call Hyouka more entertaining after 05. XP

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure I was all "Nibutani <3" before you gave two shits about her. See: who posted about liking her first in Episode 01 thoughts-posts. Nonetheless, if you want to insist that she's your Waifu of the Year, you can have her no contest. Because there were way bigger and better waifus this year. (Irisviel, Chitanda, Asuna, ...)
Nah, I thought she was cute from the beginning (I know I gushed over her voice in the ED early on), but 04 sealed the deal for me.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #43
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Quote:

Episode 05 was kinda lame. .
Talon doesn't care for the show. /thread

BORKED
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #44
Talon87
時の彼方へ

And I'm caught up with you lot. Episode 06 was the first episode I thoroughly enjoyed. Leave it to a Kyou & Sunohara Nibutani & Isshiki-heavy episode to pull this series out of the gutter. (Trust me, ladies: after many revisions, this is as polite as the sentence is going to get. ) The episode was fun, evoked a feeling of vague nostalgia in me (though I can't pinpoint it; and no, I wouldn't have been Isshiki. More like one of the generic boys with glasses), and best of all it made two of the series' least developed or interesting characters a bit more interesting.

Isshiki x sleepy Fuuko-Kotomi hybrid gooooooooo!

The best part of the episode was when Isshiki came to the club and saw the true Nibutani. Loved how she kept trying to balance the facade in front of Isshiki with the asswhupping Dekomori was asking for, and how once she realized it was too forgone she then switched strategies and tried to intimidate him.

If they were all like this -- no chuunibyou crap, no Rikka, just some fun high school character drama -- then the show'd be cute. It's really too bad it's bogged down by all the "DAAKU FUREIM MASUTAA!" stuff. Though I guess that ingredient is part of the magical recipe which so delights the girls. ^^; *sigh*

Current series rating -- "6/10 - Fair." But it could impress me still. I mean, we're "only" six episodes in.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #45
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
And I'm caught up with you lot. Episode 06 was the first episode I thoroughly enjoyed. Leave it to a Kyou & Sunohara Nibutani & Isshiki-heavy episode to pull this series out of the gutter. (Trust me, ladies: after many revisions, this is as polite as the sentence is going to get. ) The episode was fun, evoked a feeling of vague nostalgia in me (though I can't pinpoint it; and no, I wouldn't have been Isshiki. More like one of the generic boys with glasses), and best of all it made two of the series' least developed or interesting characters a bit more interesting.

Isshiki x sleepy Fuuko-Kotomi hybrid gooooooooo!

The best part of the episode was when Isshiki came to the club and saw the true Nibutani. Loved how she kept trying to balance the facade in front of Isshiki with the asswhupping Dekomori was asking for, and how once she realized it was too forgone she then switched strategies and tried to intimidate him.

If they were all like this -- no chuunibyou crap, no Rikka, just some fun high school character drama -- then the show'd be cute. It's really too bad it's bogged down by all the "DAAKU FUREIM MASUTAA!" stuff. Though I guess that ingredient is part of the magical recipe which so delights the girls. ^^; *sigh*

Current series rating -- "6/10 - Fair." But it could impress me still. I mean, we're "only" six episodes in.
Man, you want the complete opposite things from me in this series, don't you? ^^; Screw romance (scratch that - I still ship Yuuta and Rikka - don't care for the "pair the spares" though) and high school drama, "DAAKU FUREIM MASUTAA FUO EBAAAA!" *shot*

Agreed with the second spoiler box however. <3 And hey, that's already a higher score than I gave Hyouka as a whole. XP
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #46
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Trust me, it'd be a "5/10 - (Dead) Average" were it not for 1) the animation and 2) the latest episode.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #47
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Watched episode 7. There's one thing I'm slightly disappointed about, but I guess what I was hoping for wasn't going to happen. For the drama/development, I'm on hold for what I think until next episode. The rest was the usual fun slice-of-life hijinks. More in the spoiler box.

Episode 7 spoilers
Honestly, I was sorta hoping only Yuuta, Rikka, and Rikka's sister would go on the trip. I know it'd probably be a bit stale and a complete 180 without the rest of the cast, but I think everything only being about Rikka and her sister would have been nice.

So Rikka acts the way she does because she can't accept her father's death? I also guess she acts the way she does towards her sister because she wants Rikka to accept his death. It doesn't sound bad, but I should probably ponder it a bit more. I don't know. It sounds fine, but part of me is going "Something doesn't fit."
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #48
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wasn't sure how to feel about Episode 07's major plot point.

On the one hand, Talon the Cynical Realist says "Of course she would " in response to Rikka's history and why/when she entered her chuunibyou phase. On the other hand, Talon the Literary Critic frowns and asks, "Did we really need to connect Rikka's childishness with something so serious? Isn't that sort of connection, funnily enough, so stereotypical of quirky protagonists these days? Seems like you can't just be weird anymore without there being some traumatic experience behind it." So I dunno. I mean, I really don't know what to think. It was "Gad"/"Bood", if you know what I mean.

As for the "token beach episode" stuff, it was cute and fun.

They actually didn't spend that long showing us the kids on the actual beach which was pretty nice. Rikka calls Yuuta off to the grass pretty quickly and we never go back to the beach after that. So I actually appreciated that. They managed to squeeze in beach episode antics after the fact, like by having Dekomori be sunburned or by having both Dekomori and Nibutani play suntan lotion tricks on each other. Getting to see such "after the fact" aspects of their trip to the beach was cute and, in my experience, is not something most token beach episodes tend to share with us.

Character highlights abounded in this episode.

Rikka's older sister really shone in this episode. So too though did Yuuta! He was finally starting to feel like a non-cardboard cutout by the end of the episode. I also liked meeting Rikka's grandfather as well as learning that their mother left them with her deceased husband's parents. One wonders: why? Why did she leave? Is she so distraught over her husband's passing that she doesn't want the children to see her like this? Or did she abandon them and is planning on starting a new life for herself and pretending that her first two kids don't even exist? Guess we'll find out in due time.

Still, I realized while sitting through the opening credits that the series still has a major problem imo: it hasn't really touched on its title. ^^; "Even though I have 8th Grader Syndrome, I too want to fall in love." The series has been advancing at a snaaaaaaaaaaail's pace with Yuuta x Rikka, if that is indeed its intended destination! @_@ Even Suzumiya Haruhi, in its first volume, developed Kyon x Haruhi more than this! That stated, we've only got six or so episodes remaining so we know that they can't stall much longer. Sparks have to start flying now or else this series' title will have been the greatest lie of 2012.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #49
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Wasn't sure how to feel about Episode 07's major plot point.

On the one hand, Talon the Cynical Realist says "Of course she would " in response to Rikka's history and why/when she entered her chuunibyou phase. On the other hand, Talon the Literary Critic frowns and asks, "Did we really need to connect Rikka's childishness with something so serious? Isn't that sort of connection, funnily enough, so stereotypical of quirky protagonists these days? Seems like you can't just be weird anymore without there being some traumatic experience behind it." So I dunno. I mean, I really don't know what to think. It was "Gad"/"Bood", if you know what I mean.
Agreed with this. Was hoping the story wouldn't go this route.

Haruhi comparison (spoiler-lite):

At least Haruhi's situation was simple and easily relatable. Something any person can go through at that age.

But we'll see. Like BBB, I'm holding off on final verdict for now.

Speaking of Haruhi comparisons...

Pff at Nap Girl's mole. I'm inclined to think if there is someone with secret powers in this show, it'll end up being her.

Other thoughts:

Loved the bike + roller shoes bit. Looks like fun (and dangerous)! All the little Yuuta x Rikka moments made me smile, like the way he watched her with worry at the beginning. (XD at the rooftop scene.) Nibutani and Dekomori relationship development towards "friendly rivals" was nice too. How did they achieve those suntan letters?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #50
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Rikka reminds me a lot of a female UM. I don't know why, but I cannot shake the impression of watching her antics is like talking to UM.

Quote:
The series has been advancing at a snaaaaaaaaaaail's pace with Yuuta x Rikka, if that is indeed its intended destination! @_@ Even Suzumiya Haruhi, in its first volume, developed Kyon x Haruhi more than this! That stated, we've only got six or so episodes remaining so we know that they can't stall much longer. Sparks have to start flying now or else this series' title will have been the greatest lie of 2012.
Supposedly, the producer or someone involved with the direction said the show's not going to elevate itself above the fluff. I scoured twitter but couldn't find the source, but take that as you will. I would not bank on it happening when Hyouka similarly never stepped toward anything conclusive.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime