UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

"Yuuta Togashi suffered from 8th Grader Syndrome (chuunibyou) while he was in middle school. When he graduated, he put that dark history behind him and forgot about it... or he was supposed to. High school was smooth sailing and full of enjoyment - until the unavoidable, sad event occurs. The event that locks Yuuta into a contract with Rikka Takanashi and disrupts his desperately ordinary life."

-modified from MyAnimeList
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Characters

(Post subject to change)

Yuuta Togashi

The main character. Yuuta used to suffer from the infamous 8th Grader Syndrome, which included wild fantasies, eccentric behavior and the belief that he was a great mage known as Dark Flame Master. Having "grown out of it", Yuuta now desperately tries to hide his embarassing history to the point of going to a high school relatively far from home just so he wouldn't have to meet any of his old schoolmates again. His new-found peaceful school life starts falling to pieces when his neighbor from upstairs lands on his balcony: Rikka Takanashi, a girl in his class, who is still suffering from the Syndrome - and does not desire to hide her amazement and respect of the Dark Flame Master...
Spoiler: show
Yuuta is later "forced" to join Rikka's club, East Magic Nap Society of Summer. He is still bent on stopping the antics of Rikka and other club members.
Yuuta has two younger sisters and a mother, with whom he lives.

Rikka Takanashi

A very bad case of 8th Grader Syndrome, Rikka spends her time spouting random spells, descriptions and explanations about demons, evil powers, magic and the like. She is endlessly fascinated with the Dark Flame Master, the main character Yuuta Togashi, whom she pulls into her weird and exciting world of the Syndrome. Rikka wears an eyepatch constantly. She lives with her big sister, Tooka, but thinks of her sister as a Priestess out to get her.
Obviously enough, Rikka has no other magical powers than those of her wild imagination. She doesn't need an eyepatch but refuses to take it off to keep a limiter to her Eye of Wickedness - which in turn is a yellow contact lens.

Sanae Dekomori

An energetic girl in middle school, Dekomori is just as delusional as Rikka. She worships the ground her Master (Rikka) walks on, always ready to stand up for her against Yuuta. Dekomori also seems to like getting into magical battles with others and carries around a "book of magic" called Mabinogion.
She worships the author of the said book, who goes by the name Mori Summer (Forest Summer). Despite the information being told right to her face by the source, she refuses to believe that Mori Summer is actually Shinka Nibutani. The two keep getting into fights constantly.

Shinka Nibutani

Kumin Tsuyuri

(Will be completed later!)

Last edited by kaisap112; 10-26-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Char
Banned

Watched all the episodes just now. Really enjoying the pacing and direction of the show. It's quirky, I can relate to it (sometimes too much I think), and fun, especially the battle scenes and some of the art direction. I'm impressed. This is definitely one of the better shows that I'm watching now. I'm looking forward to where they're going to go from now, especially after the events of episode 4. High expectations.

Spoilers Thoughts + Episode 4 Thoughts:

Kaisap the clip you posted in bbb's suggestion thread was probably one of the funniest parts in the whole series. Lol'd for real when he was remembering how he confessed as the Dark Flame Master.

Nibutani turned out to be a bit of a bitch, they played it well enough that I wasn't expecting her personality to be like that. I like how they played out that despite the extreme similarities between the main male lead and her, there was no instant friendship connection/romance. I hope she softens up though, as her total reversal of personality might be too much for me if it lasts like this. I'm fine with an initial reversal, but maybe a mix would be nice.

In general for this series I would like a little more depth in the side characters, especially the family members and Yuuta's male classmate sidekick friend, I feel like they're kinda left out at the moment.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
In general for this series I would like a little more depth in the side characters, especially the family members and Yuuta's male classmate sidekick friend, I feel like they're kinda left out at the moment.
This might actually be addressed more in the Lite-episodes that are released along with the regular episode
one of them which told a funny little story from the era of the Dark Flame Master from his sister's point of view.
Though they might also be just trying to add more odd antics in small packages - whichever the case, I'm still watching the Lites as well.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Episode 04 was a lot of fun.

Nibeautani becoming Nibitchani = awesome.

I think it's really cool they included a character like this. She's not just some pretty airhead who's like "Aw, these weird kids are isolating themselves by researching magic, let me join too to improve my image as Miss Nice and Perfect Class Rep, tee hee~!" Nor is she secretly interested in such stuff - at least on the (second) surface (beneath the initial surface). Rather, she's someone who has successfully achieved popularity and is dead-set on not returning to her old ways. Sure, those of us lower on the totem pole can still be jealous of her, but in a way we sympathize we'd do the same if we were in her position. Knowing that was once "one of us" makes her character a lot cuter more complex.

Agreeing with Char it is a bit jarring to see such a sudden reversal of her personality, but I think it's good she now has an outlet to vent her true feelings (as further emphasized by the latest Lite episode). I imagine she will soften up eventually and find she is having fun by being around these folks who accept her for who she is. Was also glad to see she didn't hit it off with DFM (just gonna keep calling him that) immediately. Would be funny to see her reaction if he tried to pull that text confesson on her now. Also like her rival relationship with twin-tails.

The other highlight of the episode was the fight scene. Beautifully animated, and knowing it's not real just makes me admire the action more. (Kinda wish Nibitchani had gotten more into it though as she realized she missed this type of fantasy RPing, as she did when she was chanting curses.) The magic circle bit with the lights and fan was also amusing. As well as the flour explosions at the beginning and end. BOOM. THE END. It really is funny to step back and see how you'd achieve those effects in real life using home equipment. XD Using the nap girl and chimera as sacrifices was cute as well. <3

What was really nice about this episode was that it was all character development. No shameless fanservice for the most busty female in the series, who's turned out to be quite an interesting character in her own right. Like Char, I'm interested to see where the show will go from here. Chuunibyou is shaping up to start taking itself seriously, it seems, and it's doing so rather nicely and naturally. If the story keeps up like this I may just have to bump it to an 8. <3 It's already jumped into the "quite enjoying" category.

As for the side characters, like kaisap said you can check out the Lite episodes for a bit more background on them. The last one was all about the nap girl (though I appreciated it more for her apt observations on all the characters). Again, liked the part where...

Nibitchani came in and this time wasted no time shedding her pretense, instead being all "ugh, I hate those posers even though I am one people".

Spoilers for Haruhi in case anyone hasn't seen/read it (major for first season, light up to Sighs):
It's like if Mikuru in Haruhi did have a dark side (as Itsuki alluded to). Well, Older Mikuru counts somewhat, but Nibitchani is 10x worse, and I'm lovin' it.

Not to mention the way she treated twin-tails. I can tell those two are going to be the source of a lot of tension. ^^; Just hope they don't milk it too much.

It's certainly clever how the author came up with a reason for her to join (not exactly willingly as we thought) and to stay. While I was surprised to see she gave up so quickly, as I imagine it wouldn't be impossible for her to find and destroy all the copies of the Mabinogion by force if she were that determined, I think a small part of her does look forward to having a place to relax and return to her roots. It will be nice to see those roots hopefully spread and blossom.

This turned out longer than I thought. o.o; Just shows how fond I've become of this series. \o/ Four sealed the deal.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 10-27-2012 at 12:29 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I somehow love how Nibutani
can convince everyone else in the school that she's the stereotype perfect girl - but cannot convince her Summer-persona's biggest fan of who she is. This is a difference between Nibutani and Yuuta (DFM): while Nibutani refuses to embrace her chuuni (the syndrome) to the fullest even when she should, DFM has no problems convincing Rikka of the information in the DFM-notebook being real among other things - would this mean that he's actually at least a bit more comfortable with his chuuni than Nibutani is, despite the "DIE DIE DIE OLD ME" scenes? Hmm.

Also, in case anyone cares, the Finnish anime magazine, ANIME, declared Chuunibyou to be the most original and interesting series this season.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
I somehow love how Nibutani
can convince everyone else in the school that she's the stereotype perfect girl - but cannot convince her Summer-persona's biggest fan of who she is. This is a difference between Nibutani and Yuuta (DFM): while Nibutani refuses to embrace her chuuni (the syndrome) to the fullest even when she should, DFM has no problems convincing Rikka of the information in the DFM-notebook being real among other things - would this mean that he's actually at least a bit more comfortable with his chuuni than Nibutani is, despite the "DIE DIE DIE OLD ME" scenes? Hmm.

Also, in case anyone cares, the Finnish anime magazine, ANIME, declared Chuunibyou to be the most original and interesting series this season.
That is an interesting irony. Kudos for catching it.

I also loved the scene where Nibutani fell on the floor and mimicked the "DIE DIE DIE OLD ME" phrase. Ah, she's so adorable~ *shot*

In a way, she does remind me of myself since I had a chance to hang with the "cool crowd" in high school, but ultimately gave it up to be with a bunch of weirdos - and don't regret my decision. Even though I could never bring myself to go as crazy as them again, it was nice to have a place that was so open and accepting of oddity.

Embrace the chuuni, everyone. EMBRACE.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

HNG.

SO MUCH MOE. SO MUCH SHIP. TOO MUCH D'AWWWWW.

I HAVE FOUND MY NEW OTP. *FLAIL FLAIL FLAIL*

Oh God this episode almost gave me diabetes from how cute it was. It looked like from last week the show would start heading in a more serious direction, and so it has. We've got some simple, if nice character development for Rikka by showing a little background on how solitary she realizes her life is, as well as a first step towards a romantic relationship between her and Yuuta (yes, I'll call him by his name now, he's earned it). It's clear at this point Yuuta cares about her too, at the very least he considers her a close friend by now. Why else would he help her study so hard and humor her fantasies at the end in such a free and fabulous manner? He's obviously forgotten his so-called "shame" and grown comfortable being himself around her, which I think is healthy for both of them. It's an interesting contrast to Kyon, who would never go so far to satisfy Haruhi's desires, and spends more time trying to hold her back from doing crazy things. Granted, Haruhi's antics were more damaging to society (not to mention the world), but the difference in dynamic of how the two MCs deal with their respective "reflections of self" is intriguing nonetheless.

Backtracking a bit, the beginning of the episode was also quite fun as usual. Loved the "pool party". Despite the girls being in swimsuits, there wasn't a lot of gratuitous fanservice. In fact I couldn't even tell whether Rikka's "handle-bop" was a hint that she was jealous of Yuuta talking to Nibeautani, when he wasn't obviously checking her out or anything. (Speaking of Nibitchani, it was cool to confirm that she's not actually interested in cheerleading and only joined to prove her popularity. My Waifu of the year? Possibly, if Rikka doesn't beat her out that is. ^~) Most of the time I was more focused on the water fight. Kept thinking it looked like they were having so much fun, I wanted to join them. \o/

We also learned twin-tails is apparently a math genuis. Though that kinda begs the question why she didn't help her Master study then. ^^;

The cutest moment of the episode that took the cake for me though was Yuuta's little sister and Rikka's big sister playing "House". XD Oh gosh, that was adorable. And the subtle suggestion that the Priestess loves her sister more than she lets on and would like to be closer to her was appreciated as well.

STILL, THAT SMILE AT THE END WAS A CLOSE CONTENDOR FOR MOST MOE MOMENT. SO SWEET AHHHH.

Another great episode. Definitely upping this to an 8. I really hope it can keep this pace up, was sad to see that it's only 12 episodes when I checked the list. =( *crosses fingers for a big bang Haruhi finish in that case*

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 11-01-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
Char
Banned

This show really reminds me of how I behave with my cousin (who's 15, but pretty much has chuunibyou). It's fun to act that way sometimes, and definitely reminds me of myself.

Imagination is quite an amazing thing, and this show embodies that idea to me.

I don't think I typed exactly what I meant to say, but I'm tired and just watched Episode 5.

Generic comments that probably don't need to be spoilered but will be anyways:

I liked episode 5, I felt it provided some more subtle individual character development, along with some subtle building upon the relationships between the characters. I'm starting to feel attached to this group of people.

The direction of this show is going somewhere good I hope. I'm developing high expectations for it. This show is definitely a solid 8 for me so far just like for lilbluecorsola. And it still has a lot of time to get a higher score from me, as we haven't seen enough to give it a true rating.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Just watched Chuunibyou 5 myself. Great episode with some good development.

Not much, but a few episode 5 spoilers. I can't complement stuff for shit.
I was surprised Rikka never thought of trying to lower the class average some way. "What if the class average is really low?" was the first thing that came to my mind when it was said.

Yuuta's youngest sister is great. The very few times she shows up are some of the most adorable moments in the show.

I wonder what's with Rikka's sister? Is she not able to get close to Rikka because Rikka fears her, is it work, or some kind of tsundere reason? I look forward to that being explained.

Also I'm guessing I'm the only one who likes this show and doesn't relate to it? I just think it's a cute, fun show, and I'm a sucker for characters who are out of their damn minds. Also, the moe kind of gets to me.

I'd have to say that this show is along with Tsuritama and Shimashita for my favorite shows of the year.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Just watched Chuunibyou 5 myself. Great episode with some good development.

Not much, but a few episode 5 spoilers. I can't complement stuff for shit.
I was surprised Rikka never thought of trying to lower the class average some way. "What if the class average is really low?" was the first thing that came to my mind when it was said.
I didn't expect the lowering of the class average myself. (Not sure how one would accomplish that purposefully by themselves. o.O; Pull a Tomo and claim random problems from the book will be on the exam?) Regardless, that was a clever cop-out. XD

Quote:
Also I'm guessing I'm the only one who likes this show and doesn't relate to it? I just think it's a cute, fun show, and I'm a sucker for characters who are out of their damn minds. Also, the moe kind of gets to me.

I'd have to say that this show is along with Tsuritama and Shimashita for my favorite shows of the year.
Among us, probably. But that just goes to show Chuunibyou is really a good show in its own right if it can attract viewers who aren't personally attached to the characters.

I think this could also end up as my favorite animé of the year. \o/ How pleasantly unexpected to find such a prize in an unassuming package. <3

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 11-01-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #12
Char
Banned

Really liked the newest Lite episode. My favorite one so far.

:p
Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #13
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

So my opinions on episode 5 and Lite 6 are late due to unfortunate circumstances last Thursday, but here goes nothing.

Episode 5:
This episode hit kinda close to home since I'm currently having trouble with my university studies, but here goes.

Okay, WHO drinks their milk lukewarm? What the hey?

Dekotroll strikes again!

For some reason I'm amused by the banter between Dekomori and Nibutani in general. Can't explain exactly why, I just am.

Rikka and Deko - bonus points for background activities!

I need to start learning how to make proper .gifs, damnit.

Yeah, we can argue that the pool part was pure fanservice...but was it, really? Had it been full fanservice the girls would have been in bikinis or something. I didn't think much of the school-required swimsuits and it did make more sense to wear those than to not wear anything that can handle water.

As mentioned earlier, the studying problems hit close to home, and I can completely relate to Rikka in this sense. Though I haven't had problems with actually passing exams before university, so no, it's not on the level of "7 times 4".

Hey, that's me in math class all the way up and through high school! AND NO ONE CAN STILL TELL ME WHAT THE POINT WAS.

Somehow Rikka made these terms sound so much cooler than "phone number" and "IR connection". Let's all use them!

Mothers. Sometimes they end up weirder than the kids.

Yet again the award for best scene goes to a part with the little sister in it - bonus points for Tokka and Ultra-Realistic House!

HNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG-!

The finale smile apparently made the moe-fans go wild, but...I'm pretty indifferent about it for some reason. Loved the part with Yuuta giving Rikka her new address though: Dark Flame Master might actually do more good than harm as much as Yuuta tries to claim the opposite.

Lite 6:

While Nibutani relies on pure logic and physics, Dekomori has...darn good luck or some serious magic powers.

A fun clip that taught me that one can indeed bounce water balloons back - though I give far more credit to the Nibutani-way than Dekomori's.

I'm kind of annoyed by the fact that the OP and ED together seem to take up half of the Lite-episodes. Would anyone enjoy watching a regular 25-minute-episode if you'd have to watch/fast-forward through 25 minutes of OP and ED every single time? Because that's the feeling I have when I watch Lites, that the OP/ED are sort of...pointless time-consumers.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:

I need to start learning how to make proper .gifs, damnit.

Yeah, we can argue that the pool part was pure fanservice...but was it, really? Had it been full fanservice the girls would have been in bikinis or something. I didn't think much of the school-required swimsuits and it did make more sense to wear those than to not wear anything that can handle water.
Huh.

I did not remember seeing that buttshot. ^^; Was too focused on Yuuta's and Nibutani's reactions, I guess.

Quote:
The finale smile apparently made the moe-fans go wild, but...I'm pretty indifferent about it for some reason.
Aw, you could've included a cap anyway. =(

Quote:
I'm kind of annoyed by the fact that the OP and ED together seem to take up half of the Lite-episodes. Would anyone enjoy watching a regular 25-minute-episode if you'd have to watch/fast-forward through 25 minutes of OP and ED every single time? Because that's the feeling I have when I watch Lites, that the OP/ED are sort of...pointless time-consumers.
Heh, I actually like the lite OP and ED. I find they're just as enjoyable as the content itself. XP

Btw, I've been meaning to mention this, but you might want to put (as of episode x) warnings on the spoiler boxes for the character bios. I remember reading Nibutani's before it was revealed, though it didn't register at the time.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 11-07-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Huh.

I did not remember seeing that buttshot. ^^; Was too focused on Yuuta's and Nibutani's reactions, I guess.
It is a cleverly covered buttshot indeed! ...it counts as a buttshot when it's out of the frame? What?

Quote:
Heh, I actually like the lite OP and ED. I find they're just as enjoyable as the content itself. XP
I would swap the themes around a bit: make the Lite OP the ED of the main series, bump INSIDE IDENTITY to be the OP of the main series and get rid of the current main series OP altogether.

Lite ED could work as BGM for almost any scene. ^^''

Quote:
Btw, I've been meaning to mention this, but you might want to put (as of episode x) warnings on the spoiler boxes for the character bios. I remember reading Nibutani's before it was revealed, though it didn't register at the time.
Gah, haven't had the time/energy to look into the bios. x.x Will fix that up ASAP. I thought about spoiler box inside a spoiler box for every new episode, though your plan would probably be more efficient.

Wait, are you sure you mean Nibutani, because on my screen her bio is still empty?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
It is a cleverly covered buttshot indeed! ...it counts as a buttshot when it's out of the frame? What?
Hey, I just realized the other day as I was watching Magi's ED that Morgiana had a buttshot, but it went by so fast it was hard to tell. XD

Quote:
I would swap the themes around a bit: make the Lite OP the ED of the main series, bump INSIDE IDENTITY to be the OP of the main series and get rid of the current main series OP altogether.

Lite ED could work as BGM for almost any scene. ^^''
Agreed. They should keep the finger twirl though. <3

A BGM? XD Really? I'd think it'd be too distracting. ^^; It is catchy though.

Quote:
Gah, haven't had the time/energy to look into the bios. x.x Will fix that up ASAP. I thought about spoiler box inside a spoiler box for every new episode, though your plan would probably be more efficient.

Wait, are you sure you mean Nibutani, because on my screen her bio is still empty?
Oops.

I meant the part in Dekomori's box.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Hey, I just realized the other day as I was watching Magi's ED that Morgiana had a buttshot, but it went by so fast it was hard to tell. XD
BUTTSHOTS - THE THREAD

Quote:
A BGM? XD Really? I'd think it'd be too distracting. ^^; It is catchy though.
I meant BGM without the vocal parts. And indeed, it is catchy as hell and I do wish I could sing at all - my singing just grates on the ears of others. I'd be all over doing the song/dance. :3

Quote:
Oops.

I meant the part in Dekomori's box.
Oh wow, right. Next up: watching the episodes again just to make sure what happened and when.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
BUTTSHOTS - THE THREAD
*shoots* *in the butt* WHAT WHAT.

Quote:
I meant BGM without the vocal parts. And indeed, it is catchy as hell and I do wish I could sing at all - my singing just grates on the ears of others. I'd be all over doing the song/dance. :3
I'd say the singing is already kinda grating. XD But who cares? It's fun. \o/
Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Char
Banned

Watched Episode 6.

Well I got some of that development of the side-characters I was looking for. The male-sidekick needed it, and bro relationship between him and Yuuta has to be there sometime. Yuuta has to have at least 1 good male friend :P.

I'm still expecting some more character development from Nibutani, who is still somewhat disappointing me. I like her interactions with the other characters enough, but she still feels a bit shallow to me (or maybe that's the point of her now lol).

New plot seems interesting, change of scenery and pace. Although why is it summer vacation already in their world? I figured more could've happened in the time period that's supposedly passed.
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
New plot seems interesting, change of scenery and pace. Although why is it summer vacation already in their world? I figured more could've happened in the time period that's supposedly passed.
To people who don't use MyAnimeList, Chuuni is marked to be the whopping length of
episodes. That probably explains it.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Cool. Best friend character gets some development. It was a pretty great episode.

Episode 6 spoilers
I'm glad best friend character turned out to be interesting as well. I was afraid of "best friend character syndrome" where he's just a lame tag-along with no real personality. Actually, if anything, he's like a less intense K1, which isn't a problem since K1 is awesome (he seems to have K1's VA too).

Also there's supposedly a huge plot twist on episode 10. I have no clue what it's going to be, but honestly, I have more dread than anticipation. "Plot twist" can end up being "their imagination is actually real!" and that would suck.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Can't decide whether I like this "perverted male best friend" better than Taniguchi or not. His "moe moment" at the beginning was epic though.

Was really surprised he was let in on the loop. And that Nibutani was still somewhat nice to him afterwards. Like BBB I had assumed he'd just be a lame tag-along with no real personality, didn't expect him to actually get any development however lame it did turn out to be, let alone enter the inner circle. Hoped he would play a larger role in the main story as a result though, instead of just shaving his head. >.>; Sure, attracting nap girl with his baldness counts, I guess, but still...

Once again, loved all the Nibitchani bits. The rolling around on the floor in circles as best friend had to jump over her was my favorite, closely followed by how she just immediately started fighting with Dekomori at the end as soon as she entered the room. The "What are they even doing?" contrast during drawing class was clever too. XP

Wonder what the handholding in front of a train was about, aside from an obvious homage to Haruhi and *hint hint* romance.

On that note, really liked all the subtle ways Yuuta shows he cares about Rikka, from his concerned expression as chimera pawed at his face - somehow understanding it to mean he should check on her -to actively trying to get her to open up to the class. (Not to mention secretly wearing the shirt she made underneath his uniform, d'aw~)

Gosh, those girls took the ranking thing really seriously. =/ Is it that big a deal? Teenage boys are dumb, no need to make a public spectacle of it. Just don't poke into their private stuff if it bothers you that much. Even the teacher just stood by and watched, what gives? That kind of student shaming seems almost like bullying. Do they typically do that sort of thing in Japan when inappropriate classroom behavior is discovered? Especially if it wasn't even meant to be shared with the class in the first place, nor obviously made with the intent of actually hurting anyone's feelings - after all, it was under wraps for a reason (even if it's only out of fear). Heck, some might even consider it a compliment. I think if they were kind enough to keep it quiet to themselves, they shouldn't be punished for something that small when it's a natural product of youth and hormones. A simple slap on the wrist and "don't let it slip next time" would do.

Rant aside... Dat ending. Okay, Priestess is definitely almost as weird as her sister. Dunno why Rikka doesn't accept her.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 11-08-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #23
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

In response to Corsola

Damnit. I was going to ask you about that when you commented on the episode. I'm not sure why they consider class rankings such a big deal either, so I figured it might be a girl thing.

This has happened in Shugo Chara. The guys in the class took a ranking over what girl they thought was cutest, and the main character and the show itself treated them like the biggest scumbags on Earth. Actually the main girl was ranked the highest, and they were still treated badly. I mean, they weren't shamed infront of the entire class or anything, but it still left the message of "guys who make a poll for most attractive girl is scum".

I guess it probably is a Japanese thing.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #24
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
In response to Corsola

Damnit. I was going to ask you about that when you commented on the episode. I'm not sure why they consider class rankings such a big deal either, so I figured it might be a girl thing.

This has happened in Shugo Chara. The guys in the class took a ranking over what girl they thought was cutest, and the main character and the show itself treated them like the biggest scumbags on Earth. Actually the main girl was ranked the highest, and they were still treated badly. I mean, they weren't shamed infront of the entire class or anything, but it still left the message of "guys who make a poll for most attractive girl is scum".

I guess it probably is a Japanese thing.
Glad we agree it's silly.

Honestly, if it were the other way around, with the girls ranking the boys, I bet no one would've thought twice about it. People would probably consider it cute, even. Ugh, I hate double standards like that. How come girls can be girls but boys can't be boys? Of course there's a limit to these things, but in this case I don't think they were crossing any.

Dunno. Maybe I'm just more lax about this kind of stuff than others. Sure, I wouldn't like it if it happened to me, but I can't complain too much when it's bound to come up in some form sooner or later. Just don't let female friends know about it and all will be well. Otherwise you'll face the fury of hell.

I'm curious to hear what kaisap has to say about this too. Feel free to disagree with me. (Good to have another girl's opinion around here, before I was the only one and I feel like I'm probably a pretty poor representation of the species. ^^; )

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 11-08-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #25
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

So last night as I was finally going to bed at around 1 AM I noticed a new Chuuni-episode had arrived. Results: lost sleep and tons of screencaps.

OH MY GOD NEED A CAT RIGHT NOW HNNNNGGGGG-!

Rikka interrupts Yuuta's gaming session with the new shirts she has made for the club members. Much as he protests, well...let's not get to that yet.

Say whatever else you like, but Rikka has some mad skills when it comes to drawing.

It's guy love, between two guys~
And not for the last time in this episode.

Yeah, these two are...I want to say "bromancing so hard", but this might just be regular male-male behavior and I'm completely overreacting. Anyway, Male Best Friend apparently got a love letter and wants to find out who it's from. Yuuta, probably due to his chuuni-related love conquest attempts, isn't too big on this whole thing, which I find more understandable than MBF's utter excitement.

Which Senshi is your favorite?

Oh wow, Rikka, let's not move to the next base that fast!

Yeah, he's wearing the fabulous shirt. D'awww.

I laughed. So hard.

Yep, this milk-thing isn't going anywhere for a while, it seems. But...warm milk? Not even hot cocoa, just warm milk? I cannot get over the cruelty these people subject milk to.

And then it got even better.

Guess what, I learned how to make proper .gifs!

What were you guys saying about nice, kind Nibutani again?

Considering the context of the show, I'm not surprised that MBF didn't just laugh in her face and scurry away to tell everybody within hearing distance. But we get a chance to enjoy some more Bitchtani - which I enjoy faaaaaar more than the pretentious class rep front she tries to keep up.

Is she facepalming? I think she is.

I'll offer my two cents on the ranking issue. While, for example, BBB said something to the effect of "MC was at the top of the ranking, why would she be upset?", I'd like to point out that there also have to be bottom-ranks. If you end up at the bottom of a popularity poll, you're that much more susceptible to getting bullied - and how would you feel if the class you're supposed to be in for three years decided that you're the least attractive girl in class? Personally, I think it'd more than make way for issues with body image and self-confidence.

In short, it's better not to let the guys make those rankings (at least on that scale and publicly) than give any more fuel to the fire known as the bullying problem in Japanese schools.

Also, if MBF is anything like he makes himself out to be, he's probably been stalking the girls and writing down personal information like the three sizes, dis/likes, personal notes etc. Would you want your personal information circling the school without your permission?

I might be completely wrong here, but it's how I viewed the whole thing.

You'd need the audio to grasp the hilarity of this bit.

Hair is serious business...

I loved the seppuku-esque shaving of head. It was just that ridiculous and BL-bait.

...until girls get involved.

NIBUTANI SMACK! FINALLY, YUUTA!

I have a feeling Best Male Friend might fit in this club just fine.

Oh my lord, shiny bald head. How'd that happen?! Will we see more of this concentration of magic power? Maybe the girls could utilize him in battles.

Wha- MORE BL-BAIT?!

You...you do not say no to this. You just don't. Or you're a horrible monster.

Napper-girl's interest in the bald head is a bit odd, but what part of this club isn't? From experience, I can tell that there are people who get impulses to ruffle your hair. Or just touch it. And there's nothing creepy/sexual/etc. about it: it's an impulse that goes away pretty quickly, though you might need a brush after that.

Anything you desire, My Goddess Tooka-sama!

Have I mentioned how much I love Tooka?

So next time we'll have a proper fanservice swimsuit summer episode. I'm going to throw my theory out there: Rikka's parents (if they show up) aren't the least bit happy that their daughter won't outgrow her delusions and inherit the family business. Yuuta somehow has to make sure this whole gathering doesn't blow up in anyone's face, but it will. This is just speculation though.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. It's really hard to dislike or hate anything in this show.

Except the fact that apparently there won't be any more Lite-episodes. GAAAAAAAAAH-!

Last edited by kaisap112; 11-08-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime