UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

It's time to D-D-D-D-DDDDUEL

EDIT:

Play with us online and join in UPN tournaments at http://www.duelingnetwork.com

User list:
Deoxys - hiero
Muyo - Pinkie Promise
T-dos - attention_duelists
Kusari - Kusari1
Tuner - Tuner89
phoopes - phoopes
Concept - MrKoncept
Poke_Hunter - JustAnotherUser
Talon - Talon87
unownmew- RosenYubel
Big Bad Birtha - Big Bad Birtha
Stu- Sturoid
Daisy - DaisyInari (doesn't duel)
PikaGod - Food Guy
Doppleganger - Dopple
Kindrindra - Kindrindra
Sneezy - SirSprinkles
Shuckle - UPNShuckle

Muyo requested keeping Yu-Gi-Oh card discussion in it's own thread. I probably won't talk much about it but here it is. If you play now are just want to share "war stories", post them here.

Quote:
I like to take the chance to brag about my mad skeelz I had in YGO because it was one of the only things I ever was really good at.

I had a pretty decent beatdown deck that was my main focus for tournaments and such. I've won about six local tocal tournaments that always had 60+ attendees, and one time was an incredibly epic battle for first place. I was up against a guy who was a state champ. He used some crazy combo to up his Ultimate Baseball Kid's attack to something insane like 10,000 ATK points. It was a continuous trap card combo, too. There were about 20 people gathered around the table watching... it was very surreal. I was about to be skullfucked to Jupiter and back, as he was literally only one turn away from ending the game. I drew my card, praying for a miracle, LETTING THE HEART OF THE CARDS GUIDE ME, and when I lifted it all of the damn kids behind me went absolutely apeshit.

Fucking Jinzo. I don't remember what it was, but there were other cards in my hand that were useless before, but suddenly they all worked with him as a combo. Summoned that fucker, equipped a few spells to up his attack, ended the game. It was the most surreal thing I'd ever experienced as horribly depressing and hilarious as that sounds.

I went on to meet the world champ of 2005 twice at different events, and played and defeated the SJC Columbus 2005 champion at a state tourney. Funny thing is, that match was fucking awesome, because I beat him two out of three games (when he lost he grabbed his deck really quickly and power-walked out of the convention room like a sore loser), but it wasn't very memorable because it was just me and him in the corner of the room and no one was watching.

Stopped playing YGO shortly after the Cyber Dragons got their own group of monster cards.

Baseball kid gets 1000 attack for every fire monster on the field. He ran a fire deck and had 5 monsters on his field. He then had a continuous trap that made all of monsters fire type, including mine, too. To top it off, his baseball kid was equipped with a spell that allowed to him attack life points directly, but he had to wait x turns before he could.

That was the combo. A damn good one, too. Then Jinzo comes in and shits all over it and I don't remember how but I wiped the game in two turns following.

To answer kusari, I was a user of staples/meta cards, such as Raigeki, among quite a few others that escape me right now because I don't remember which ones, back in the day.

Discuss

Edit: Scumbag Deo

"I probably won't talk much about it"

Has the most posts in the thread

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 03-24-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
phoopes
Double Dragon

I had Exodia when I was a little kid. I don't really remember too much more that that, other than my cousin convincing gullible little me that Bite Shoes actually automatically won him the game, and that it was just a typo on the card description. That bastard.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

On Eternal Duelist Soul (YGO 5?) for the GBA, I used to run a mean Maha Vailo deck. IRL, the only Yu-Gi-Oh cards I own are the ones that came with that GBA game (Angel Dice, Skull Dice, and some other card) and then the old school Yugi and Kaiba pre-constructs that I purchased in 2007 when YGO fever flared back up. In other words, I don't own shit. But digitally, I had an awesome deck.

And yes, Raigeki is an amazing card. Learning from kids in college that Raigeki was banned was pretty much what killed any interest I may have ever had in actually buying YGO cards. And then they banned Change of Heart ... and Monster Reborn ... and restricted Giant Trunade ... and the whole game just went to shit (sayeth the outsider).
Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

You'll be pleased to know that, at least, Monster Reborn is now unbanned and at one
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I never played YGO in my life, but when I used to hang out at my local hobby shop, whenever my friends would start playing and someone attacked the other or something, I would shout stuff from the show like, "OBELISK! OBLITERATE!" or if I was closer to the person using a trap card, I would shout "YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD!" and in the opposite scenario, I would shout, "OH NOOOO!" and mimic the beeping as the points dropped like in the show.

Sometimes they would laugh. Sometimes, when someone was losing really bad, they would even threaten me. Either way, I had fun.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

See, they kept going through these weird phases where they'd ban all of these cards, then unban them, then ban them again, then unban them and make them limited to one per deck. They couldn't make up their damn minds, and it ultimately made me leave the scene because of it. I quit when they started limiting and banning the cards people were using as replacements for the good stuff, like Monster Reborn was replaced with Monster Reincarnation, which was like a nerfed version of it, but then Konami went and said "No, that's broken, too, we can't have that." And then they unbanned Raigeki.

I would love to know just what was going through their minds. Bipolar as fuck on card rulings. Even Giant Trunade and Mystical Space Typhoon got fucked over. If I recall, there was even a nerfed Raigeki, which also was banned. I don't get it. [](/twiflip)

I played a Maha Vailo deck once for fun (it was someone elses). It was SO fun. I don't remember if I won or not, I just remember how fun it was throwing equips onto it and chaining different combos.

Monster Reborn is limited again now? LOL, that'll probably only last a month or two.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It'd need to be at 2 for me to be pleased. 1 is still pretty goddamn ridiculous.

"I CAST MONSTER REBO--"
"I ACTIVATE MY TRAP CARD! YOUR MAGIC CARD IS CANCELLED! "
""

There's almost no point in even fielding a One Of card in any TCG where the opponent can field 2+ cancellation cards. Never mind just how many trap cards there are which, in one way or another, would screw Monster Reborn over. "Cancel target magic card," "Magic cards can't be played this turn," "Monsters can't be summoned from the graveyard this turn," "Any time a monster with 2000 or greater ATK points is summoned directly to the field, send it to the graveyard," etc. I'm just making a lot of these technicalities up off the top of my head, but you know what I'm saying: there's little point in fielding one Monster Reborn card when your opponent'll probably have 5+ different cards in his deck that, one way or another, make it worthless. You'd want at least 2 of the card to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting it to work. Preferably two in hand.

What about Sangan and that Witch of the Black Forest or whatever her name was? (The Exodia Fetch Cards.) Are those illegal still? Last I heard they were either banned or restricted to One Of per deck.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Graceful Charity has been banned for quite some time if I recall correctly.

As has been said in the TO, I played a cliche Burn deck years ago, then switched to Nurse Burn for a while. After that came trying out other cards that people who follow the meta like a religion said I was retarded for using just because they were anti-meta. That lead to my extreme disdain for meta and my quitting the game. Though as of late, I'm considering casually playing again. Won't touch competitive play.

Also, I hate the Xyz mechanic. Who's with me?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I never played YGO in my life, but when I used to hang out at my local hobby shop, whenever my friends would start playing and someone attacked the other or something, I would shout stuff from the show like, "OBELISK! OBLITERATE!" or if I was closer to the person using a trap card, I would shout "YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD!" and in the opposite scenario, I would shout, "OH NOOOO!" and mimic the beeping as the points dropped like in the show.

Sometimes they would laugh. Sometimes, when someone was losing really bad, they would even threaten me. Either way, I had fun.
Oh. I see. You were "that guy".

I knew a lot of people like you. It was funny. For a while. Then you want to punch them in the face and burn every copy of every episode of the anime.

*slow clap*
Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I would love to know just what was going through their minds.
"It sure would be nice if the current generation of players shelled out 5 bucks a pack for a 1:6 chance of a Super Rare in Dark Revelations III, like they did back in Legend of Blue Eyes. But all of those super rares are banned... How do we... I'VE GOT IT!"
Old 02-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Monster reborn has actually been legal for almost two years now, and it's not quite broken enough to warrant a ban again yet. Sangan is at 1, but it is EXTREMELY broken right now due to a new card, Tour Guide from the Underworld which is able to search it, so it's possible he could be banned in the next ban list. Witch of the Black Forest is banned still, but she's not quite as broken as she used to be since Monarchs are basically dead and Dark Armed Dragon is limited, so she could come back.

For the most part, Konami's ban lists have all made sense, and stuff has to leave and come back to promote people to buy the new packs(making them money) or ensuring one deck isn't TOO powerful compared to the other decks... that said, there's been some odd choices, but that's part of the fun.

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys
Even Giant Trunade and Mystical Space Typhoon got fucked over.
>Even Giant Trunade and Mystical Space Typhoon got fucked over.
>Giant Trunade and Mystical Space Typhoon got fucked over.
>Mystical Space Typhoon got fucked over.

Fuck them. I had, like, 8 of those in one deck back in the day. Trolled my cousins so hard, or they trolled me in some cases. In fact, the one time, we had a sequence like this.

Cousin plays Blue Eyes White Dragon.
I play Trap Hole.
He plays Mystical Space Typhoon.
I play Mystical Space Typhoon.
I play Mystical Space Typhoon.
I have no Mystical Space Typhoons left.

Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You can't have eight of the same card in one deck. Then again, you thought a 2-star monster that simply flipped a monster's position from ATK to DEF or vice-versa would auto-win your cousin the game, so ...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Mystical Space Typhoon is unlimited now, and Heavy Storm came back after a year-long hiatus to be limited, so there's plenty of fun to be had

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
You can't have eight of the same card in one deck. Then again, you thought a 2-star monster that simply flipped a monster's position from ATK to DEF or vice-versa would auto-win your cousin the game, so ...
I was 5 or 6 years old. Don't judge.

>Mystical Space Typhoon unlimited

F YEAH!

>Heavy Storm

And that is...?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
There's almost no point in even fielding a One Of card in any TCG where the opponent can field 2+ cancellation cards. Never mind just how many trap cards there are which, in one way or another, would screw Monster Reborn over. "Cancel target magic card," "Magic cards can't be played this turn," "Monsters can't be summoned from the graveyard this turn," "Any time a monster with 2000 or greater ATK points is summoned directly to the field, send it to the graveyard," etc. I'm just making a lot of these technicalities up off the top of my head, but you know what I'm saying: there's little point in fielding one Monster Reborn card when your opponent'll probably have 5+ different cards in his deck that, one way or another, make it worthless. You'd want at least 2 of the card to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting it to work. Preferably two in hand.
God, this so hard. I grew accustomed to Monster Reincarnation, because it was more fair (puts the monster back in your hand instead), but I still feel like any half decent player has more than enough cards that can stop the good stuff right away. Or, if they're smart, save them for the bad stuff, like Raigeki and Reborn.

Quote:
What about Sangan and that Witch of the Black Forest or whatever her name was? (The Exodia Fetch Cards.) Are those illegal still? Last I heard they were either banned or restricted to One Of per deck.
I heard they were limited but looking at the official list (which will probably change tomorrow), Sangan is Limited and Witch is banned. Looking at this list now, I find this REALLY funny, as someone who hasn't seen a single new card since 07, it looks like almost none of these are new. I recognize just about all of them, which means they must have stopped making OP cards altogether...

I see Butterfly Dagger - Elma is still banned. That card + Magical Marionette = instant win with ∞ attack points. My friend ran that deck back in the day.

Oh god, speaking of terrifying decks: Tsukoyomi (banned) + Thousand Eyes Restrict (also banned). I ran into that combo in the GenCon tourney in Indy back in 05. It was frightening. Basically, Thousand Eyes gets to control an opponents monster when flipped up, and then when flipped down, the monster is destroyed. Tsukoyomi allowed the opponent to flip Thousand Eyes up and down over and over again in the same turn, making it impossible to ever have a monster on the field.

I remember another OP combo too, but forgot how it worked... Yata Garasu + Sinister Serpent. Let's see... *checks*, YUP, BOTH banned. Wow.

Nostalgiaing hard right now.

Last edited by deoxys; 02-18-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #17
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Beast King Barbaros is best field clearer. Three tributes and it nukes everthing else on the field. 3000 ATK doesn't hurt either.

Why is that not banned? Konami on crack?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #18
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Once banned, Yata was banned forever. Let's hope it stays that way.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #19
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I heard they were limited but looking at the official list (which will probably change tomorrow), Sangan is Limited and Witch is banned. Looking at this list now, I find this REALLY funny, as someone who hasn't seen a single new card since 07, it looks like almost none of these are new. I recognize just about all of them, which means they must have stopped making OP cards altogether...
This is to promote buying new packs, making them money mostly. Cards rarely get banned until at least 6 months after they come out, although there have been exceptions. The newest pack of cards that came out just a few weeks ago is one of the most broken sets with the new archetypes, Inzektors and Wind-Ups.

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #20
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
Graceful Charity has been banned for quite some time if I recall correctly.

As has been said in the TO, I played a cliche Burn deck years ago, then switched to Nurse Burn for a while. After that came trying out other cards that people who follow the meta like a religion said I was retarded for using just because they were anti-meta. That lead to my extreme disdain for meta and my quitting the game. Though as of late, I'm considering casually playing again. Won't touch competitive play.

Also, I hate the Xyz mechanic. Who's with me?

I'm with you. Fuck this franchising of the XYZ Dragon Cannon into a whole slew of fucking monsters. It pissed me off almost as much as the "Elemental Hero" phase. No, it pissed me off more. It was stupid as fuck... When I found out about that I faceplamed hard.

I don't think you're dumb for using anti-meta, I think it's bold and unique.

I hated the Nurse decks. They were always OP, and when I got one, I tried to make a Nurse burn deck, but failed miserably because a. I lacked the cards necessary and b. didn't care enough. So I stashed it in my binder and never looked at it again.

I also tried a DD Chaos deck (loved warrior lady and Bazoo the Soul Eater. Also Dark Ruler Ha Des was fun).
Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #21
phoopes
Double Dragon

I should really look into playing this again... that is, if it's possible to play for free online. I certainly ain't shelling out a shitton of money for this, since it would most likely be casual only.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #22
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
Beast King Barbaros is best field clearer. Three tributes and it nukes everthing else on the field. 3000 ATK doesn't hurt either.

Why is that not banned? Konami on crack?
It's too hard to get out normally, when you could get out a 2500 beater with a single card now-days. It's only good in Skill Drain decks, but they have their own limitations making Beast King Barbaros not that threatening.

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Once banned, Yata was banned forever. Let's hope it stays that way.
Oh, but... Yata is SO FUN!!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm stuck in the past, I think, where the four-star elites were Vorse Raider and Gemini Elf. I can only imagine that, in an effort to get kids to keep buying cards, there are probably four-star monsters now that have stats like ATK 2500 DEF 2200 or ATK 3300 DEF 1700. Crazy shit that wouldn't have even qualified for 6-star status back in the day, it'd have been deemed too good.

My attitude is, "Let me just play you with my old school deck." But unlike with MtG where old school = most powerful school, I get the impression that with YGO there's probably crazy trap and monster shit I'd never have even dreamed they'd print that would make me rage pretty hard if you sprung it on me.

Talon: I swing with Vorse Raider and Summoned Skull.
Tuner: I block Summoned Skull with Pyero the Wicked. (ATK position, ATK 1700)
Talon: That's it?
Tuner: That's it.
Talon: Okay, then. Well I--
Tuner: TRAPSPLOSION!
Talon: Excuse me, what?
Tuner: It's the Trapsplosion phase.
Talon: "Trapsplosion phase"?
Tuner: Yeah, didn't they have Trapsplosions back in your day?
Talon: No, I thought you were just being silly.
Tuner: No, dude. It's Trapsplosion time.
Talon: So what happens.
Tuner:
Well, since you attacked Pyero the Wicked with a Fiend, that means I gain 3000 life points.
Talon: Huh!? Why?
Tuner: Because I activate my Trapsplosion card "PYERO'S FIENDISH DESSERTS!"
Talon: 'If your opponent attacked this turn and you blocked with Pyero the Wicked in attack position, you lose no life and instead gain 3000 life points.' What? That's bullcrap!
Tuner: Yeah, and it gets better. Check this out! "RELEASE THE KROOKEN!"
Talon: Release the
Krooken?
Tuner: Yeah, it's a reference to a monster from Forgotten Realms.
Talon: "Forgotten Realms"?
Tuner: *sigh* ...
Anyway, it says that all of your monsters die now.
Talon: What.
Tuner: And you lose life points equal to their attacks.
Talon:
Tuner: Squared.
Talon:
Tuner: Plus 200 more for every card that's still in your--
Talon: OKAY, OKAY, I GET IT. I LOST.
Tuner: Well geez, you don't have to be so crabby about it.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #25
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
I should really look into playing this again... that is, if it's possible to play for free online. I certainly ain't shelling out a shitton of money for this, since it would most likely be casual only.
www.duelingnetwork.com

A heaven for free yugioh players, although most of the players are casual(which is perfect for what it sounds like you want)

Thanks Pengy!

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment