UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

Need new console/DS game.

So, I haven't gotten a new game in quite some time.

If I get a console game (I own an Xbox and a Gamecube), I was thinking TP for the GCN...dunno what I could get for the Xbox.

DS-wise...there's a ton of great games out there. Basically, RPGs (such as FF series, was thinking about Phantom Hourglass), and any other 'neat' games that'll last me for a long time.

So...any suggestions?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Need new console/DS game.

Everyone's different. I can list my DS collection, and you can do research on your own to see if these games sound good to you or not.
  1. New Super Mario Bros.[/*3mpexkmh]
  2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon[/*3mpexkmh]
  3. Mario Kart[/*3mpexkmh]
  4. Phoenix Wright 1[/*3mpexkmh]
  5. MegaMan ZX[/*3mpexkmh]
  6. Pokemon Pearl[/*3mpexkmh]
  7. Phoenix Wright 2[/*3mpexkmh]
  8. Shonen Jump SuperStars (日本語)[/*3mpexkmh]
  9. Luminous Arc[/*3mpexkmh]
  10. Phoenix Wright 3 - don't yet own but will[/*3mpexkmh]
The only games I haven't been superbly pleased with were MegaMan ZX (I was really pleased, but never beat it and don't feel like picking it back up) and Luminous Arc (ditto). Every other game on there, I've been like "wow, one of the best games ever" towards. So, there's my taste. If you see a lot of games on that list that you already own, then we may have similar tastes, and you may want to consider my other titles.

I agree that TP for the GameCube would probably be a worthy purchase. For the reasons discussed in my thread, it's probably less hair-pullingly frustrating than the Wii version. And it'll still have the same plot. And it'll have the true (i.e. non-inverted) North South East West orientation for the world map, unlike the mirror-imaged Wii version. That's always good. (It's bizarre to have the Gerudo Desert on the far east of my map. -.-)

For the XBox, if you're up for it (and it'll only cost you $10 or $15 brand-new), try out Shenmue IIx. I say it's the best game ever, but hey, what do I know. Obviously not much according to your average gamer.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Everyone's different. I can list my DS collection, and you can do research on your own to see if these games sound good to you or not.
  1. New Super Mario Bros.[/*1rouyje6]
  2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon[/*1rouyje6]
  3. Mario Kart[/*1rouyje6]
  4. Phoenix Wright 1[/*1rouyje6]
  5. MegaMan ZX[/*1rouyje6]
  6. Pokemon Pearl[/*1rouyje6]
  7. Phoenix Wright 2[/*1rouyje6]
  8. Shonen Jump SuperStars (日本語)[/*1rouyje6]
  9. Luminous Arc[/*1rouyje6]
  10. Phoenix Wright 3 - don't yet own but will[/*1rouyje6]
Yeah, everyone's different, which is why I asked for suggestions :p

Anyway...top to bottom.

Played/beaten (borrowed from a friend)
Own
Own
Heard good things, might pick it up
Blech Megaman. Decent series, but I stopped touching it after Megaman Legends 1 for the PSX.
Own
Meh fighting games
Never heard of it.
(Lumping the PW games under the one title of PW1)

Quote:
So, there's my taste. If you see a lot of games on that list that you already own, then we may have similar tastes, and you may want to consider my other titles.
We do have quite similar tastes, Talon. :P I've noticed this. Kinda cool.

Quote:
I agree that TP for the GameCube would probably be a worthy purchase. For the reasons discussed in my thread, it's probably less hair-pullingly frustrating than the Wii version. And it'll still have the same plot. And it'll have the true (i.e. non-inverted) North South East West orientation for the world map, unlike the mirror-imaged Wii version. That's always good. (It's bizarre to have the Gerudo Desert on the far east of my map. -.-)
Heh, haven't checked your thread. I don't like Zelda game spoilers because I know I'll eventually play the game. And I'm really leaning towards TP for the GCN at this moment in time, I love RPGs and it seems like TP has a LOT to do, which'll keep me occupied.

Quote:
For the XBox, if you're up for it (and it'll only cost you $10 or $15 brand-new), try out Shenmue IIx. I say it's the best game ever, but hey, what do I know. Obviously not much according to your average gamer.
[/quote][/quote]

Heh, my brother-in-law left that game here a few weeks ago. I watched him play it a bit...seemed like a decent game, but not my style tbh.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It hasn't aged well at all. It was fantastic in 2002 and simply epic in 2001. Now, in 2008 ... yeah. When you consider what it hoped to deliver (and, for 2001, succeeded in delivering), there's little chance you couldn't help but to salivate:

- deliver an epic plotline (done, and still doin' it just fine)
- combine the RPG concept of "gaining new moves as you level up" with the fighting concept of "fighting using pre-programmed combo moves plus an infinite number of simple move permutations" with the adventure game concept of "being able to explore a fully-interactive world in 3D" (AWESOME ... in 2001. Now in 2008, the graphics look outdated; the load times are unforgivably slow and frequent (you can only run about 30 seconds in any direction from Center before the map has to load a new section and it takes 10 seconds to do so); and the fighting engine is atrocious (a dumbed-down version of Virtua Fighter 3) compared with modern fighting game engines.

So all that keeps the game alive in my heart and the hearts of many fans is the plot. The gamePLAY has aged terribly, and makes it difficult for first-timers to get into. Alas.

Edit: I forgot to mention, Shenmue was the first game of its kind (the original Shenmue, for Dreamcast) to introduce this concept of "gaining fight moves RPG-style." No game had ever done that before. Any game which allowed a fighter to do moves, allowed him to do all of them from the very beginning of the game. Now, 7+ years after the original Shenmue debuted on the Dreamcast, we see games like Twilight Princess incorporating this mechanic (via the Howling Stones) to critical acclaim. It's pretty amusing (and a little annoying ) as a Shenmue fan, to see kids giving Zelda credit for this "genius move" when Shenmue did it (and did it better) over seven years ago.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

Small bump, because I want more than one person to give a suggestion :P
Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I'll make suggestions when I'm at home.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

Animal Crossing Wild World, have that yet?

Or maybe Kirby Squeak Squad. Anyhow, um, yeah, there's really nothing good for the original xbox besides the Halo games really. 360 is where it's at.

Anyway, other good games...hmm, if you like guitar hero, you could get the DS game Jam Sessions...or the new FF remakes like 3... I dunno.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
Loki

Sadly GCN and Xbox don't have new titles anymore.

The Max Payne series had a beautiful story. Sadly they were like 3 hour games each. 6 if you suck at shooting. They sell for cheap too. Like $3 each used at Gamestop.

Tales of Symphonia was pretty fun RPG. Although I got angry with completing all the lists. Still it's a good 60 hours of stuff to do.

DS has many titles that really put it up there. The Phoenix Wright series is really amazing. Mario Party DS is fun if you have lots of DS Friends. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was tons of fun. And.... Uh.... Get Phantom Hourglass and tell me how awesome it is xd.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you want an XBox title that has a fun single-player mode and a fun multiplayer mode whose only setback is split screen (and what multiplayer XBox game doesn't have a split screen besides fighters?), you could try out Dynasty Warriors 5. My roommate introduced me to the games. His former roommate (a guy who didn't game or watch anime much before he met us) loved the game. I fell in love with the game. Loki likes the Dynasty Warriors games, too. (Ask him!) IIRC Kuno may as well, not sure about that one. Anyway. If you don't already own it, Dynasty Warriors 5 for XBox -- check it out. (I think it even has a mode or some special features not found in the earlier PS2 version, too.)

As for other XBox titles, I think my small library is likely to unimpress and I doubt (lucky as we were with the DS titles) that we will overlap in tastes much, Skru:
  1. Dead or Alive 3[/*24frfyzj]
  2. Halo[/*24frfyzj]
  3. Shenmue IIx[/*24frfyzj]
  4. Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball[/*24frfyzj]
  5. Dead or Alive: Ultimate (my favorite game for the XBox)[/*24frfyzj]
  6. Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly[/*24frfyzj]
  7. Guilty Gear XX #Reload[/*24frfyzj]
  8. Street Fighter 10th Anniversary Collection (not recommended because XBox version's Chun Li is broken, as in, does not execute her upside-down spinning kick correctly; she teleports up above the fight (with the tip of her head showing) and executes it from way up high. Pretty useless. Also, could never get her hadouken to work, even though the CPU Chun Li made proficient use of it)[/*24frfyzj]

It was around this time I modded my XBox (Spring 2006); and, not long after (August 2007), it died. No more XBox. ;_; No more DOA:U. *sigh*
Old 01-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #10
Loki

Dynasty Warriors is fun at first, but it starts to get really repetitive. Oh look at how I conquered China the 99th time in a row with Guan Yu. And historical liberties bother me sometimes xd.

Sadly, in terms of single player HALO > HALO 2 > HALO 3. HALO 2 isn't nearly as bad as the gap between HALO 3 and HALO 2, but it's plot does have it's holes. Not to mention the various graphical bugs during some cinematics.

Buy a 360. Then you can get some cool games xd.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Get Chibi-Robo for the Gamecube, then once you're done get the DS sequel. It it aweSome, with a capital S, for super.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I need more TF2 buddies.

Buy a 360. Then you can get some cool games xd.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #13
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

xd.

tell you what. you guys pitch in, I'll buy a 360. =D

'cause the way money is now, I could save for year and still not have enough. Money's going to way more important things, and I mean, I barely have enough to get a couple games xd.

so far I'm really looking at Phantom Hourglass and TP. Probably get PH since my GCN cords have mysteriously vanished >_>;

Anywho, sleep time =o

Oh, and before I forget.

Quote:
Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball

I used to have this game. Got rid of it because it was really, really boring and, like "Yahtzee" says, it, like Tomb Raider, probably catered to 13 year old boys with holes in their pants pockets.

(Warning: Foul Language in the link above)
Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #14
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to SulcataIxlude Send a message via MSN to SulcataIxlude Send a message via Yahoo to SulcataIxlude

You can always save up, and buy spore when it comes out for nintendo d/s.
SulcataIxlude is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games