UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #101
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
So I'm applying for post-graduate "real world" jobs now and it's balls. I had something lined up for summer which would have carried me through to at least September or October, but it fell through and I'm scrambling. Cover letters are the devil. Blah blah blah.

On the bright side, I've landed an interview with a law firm back home and I'm hopeful I'll be able to get that. Made a bit of a error on the phone by responding to a description of duties as "fine," but in my defense the line was garbled and I could only make out a bit of what he was saying. Panicked trying to put it all together. Little worried I may have messed it up, but I'm pretty confident the actual interview will make up for it. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #102
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Lifeguarding starts up again in T minus 2 weeks.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #103
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
So I'm fairly certain I don't want to spend the next fifty years staring at a computer screen and writing/reading reports. But that's broadly speaking where I appear to be heading.

Wat do.
Hnngghhhh.

So I've written my application for a Local Government grad scheme. Will proof and send it off tomorrow, part of the fun is that although the salary is distinctly mediocre, you get a funded professional qualification or (in my case additional) postgraduate degree. I basically rang them up and said "are you really giving us training because I was promised that here and they lied" and they laughed and said it was the whole point. So that's good.

Currently writing an application to get back in to politics proper. They want a handwritten letter, which is a new one for me and requires working on my childish handwriting. I have an advantage in that I know my previous applications for the same type of job are great and I've filled in some gapsi n my experience since then, but I nothing about the local area of the politics concerned so have like a day to sort that out. Gotta post it Friday morning as Bank Holidays are a real bitch.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #104
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
I quit my job at the stupid Fred Meyer fuel center. Too much drama, too much corporate BS, too many angry, bitter, incompetent managers. I got a new job delivering sandwiches at Jimmy Johns. This job is AWESOME. I make a huge amount of money for how few hours I work. There have been days when I made $60 even though I only worked two hours. My co-workers and bosses are friendly and energetic, the hours are reasonable and flexible. The work atmosphere is very relaxed with no drama. Some days I help clean up the kitchen and make sandwiches, but I usually just take orders and deliver them.

The best part is that driving around is very relaxing and makes your day go by very quickly. And the store smells GREAT.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 06-07-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #105
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I miss Fred Meyer. The last one in California closed when I was 8 years old. It was super nostalgic to go into one when I visited Oregon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #106
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek View Post
I quit my job at the stupid Fred Meyer fuel center. Too much drama, too much corporate BS, too many angry, bitter, incompetent managers. I got a new job delivering sandwiches at Jimmy Johns. This job is AWESOME. I make a huge amount of money for how few hours I work. There have been days when I made $60 even though I only worked two hours. My co-workers and bosses are friendly and energetic, the hours are reasonable and flexible. The work atmosphere is very relaxed with no drama. Some days I help clean up the kitchen and make sandwiches, but I usually just take orders and deliver them.

The best part is that driving around is very relaxing and makes your day go by very quickly. And the store smells GREAT.
At your age I'm impressed they hired you to be a deliverer -- you must be a paragon of physical health. :o Sorry to hear you'd been suffering until recently but glad to hear you've got a new job you're loving thus far. And yeah -- "$30/hr" is incredible. But what do you normally make hourly on a typical day? How many hours long is a typical shift? When do you go in? When I worked at the frozen custard shoppe I worked 6-2 some days and 2-10 others iirc. (Hours may not be exactly right.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #107
Mercutio
Banned

... there's such a thing as a frozen custard shop? I must travel there immediately.

Also, to stay on topic, I've been unemployed for a week and I've applied for two jobs. I may not be doing this correctly.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #108
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
At your age I'm impressed they hired you to be a deliverer -- you must be a paragon of physical health. :o Sorry to hear you'd been suffering until recently but glad to hear you've got a new job you're loving thus far. And yeah -- "$30/hr" is incredible. But what do you normally make hourly on a typical day? How many hours long is a typical shift? When do you go in? When I worked at the frozen custard shoppe I worked 6-2 some days and 2-10 others iirc. (Hours may not be exactly right.)
My age? Well I never! I am only thirty years old! On a typical day I only make $9.10 per hour, but I almost always get excellent tips. Especially if I get to deliver to places like Xerox, FLIR (yes, that FLIR; their world headquarters is right down the street from here. I love going in there; the place reeks of super-science), or the local primary or high schools. During lunch hour they order sandwiches in bulk and they always tip "by the book" using their business accounts. A few weeks ago, one of our drivers got a $70 tip from the primary school and a few days ago one got a $36 tip from Xerox. Three or four days ago I got a $7 tip from Xerox and an $8.50 tip from the primary school.

Sometimes you get a bad tip day, but something always makes up for it in the end. Generally, it is very good money to work for Jimmy Johns. I look forward to the days when I have split shifts. I can make a lot of money from local businesses during lunch hour, and then even more from homes and other residences during dinner hour. I usually only work the lunch hour though. I come in at 11AM and stay until 1PM. 3PM if it is a very busy day. As for the age of delivery drivers, perhaps things are different in Oregon (or at least in Wilsonville) but here a lot of delivery drivers (not just for Jimmy John's but for pizza places too) tend to be adults or middle-aged. I think they hire us because we are less of a liability. We've been driving longer without accidents than younger people so we're seen as a safer bet. We're more likely to be familiar with the town and better able to deal with angry customers because we are wiser and more temperate, probably less likely to get robbed, and many other reasons I'm sure. And yes, I am very healthy. Thirty years old and still thin and trim with perfect posture. A close friend actually complimented me on my posture not even two weeks ago.

Do you know what the best part about this is, how I know this company is awesome? In the store, we have aluminium signs attached to the walls with all sorts of random sayings and quotes on them. One of these signs says "The customer is NOT always right". This isn't some tiny sign sitting in the back of the kitchen either. It's about eight inches tall and at least a foot-and-a-half long, and it is sitting in plain view for everyone to see, even the customers.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 06-07-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #109
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The confusion likely stems from the fact that in Indiana the Jimmy John's deliveries are carried out exclusively (and famously) by cyclists. I assumed this was the case for all Jimmy John's locations, but apparently not.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #110
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

There are some locations in Oregon that employ cyclists, but I am out in the suburbs and we couldn't guarantee "freaky fast delivery" using bikes. This is our delivery area:

The marker represents Jimmy Johns. The green boundary contains all the areas we will deliver to. The two red circles represent where most of my actual deliveries go. The red path going north is the path to Xerox, the farthest place we delivery to.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #111
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
It's the same down here as well. In fact, one of the guys at my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu dojo is famed for having incredible endurance because he cycles like fifty miles a day for Jimmy John's deliveries.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #112
Mercutio
Banned

Mention LO work in application for community engagement foussed job app. Y/N? It's in the ladt semi serious question on the form about outside interests.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #113
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Mention LO work in application for community engagement foussed job app. Y/N? It's in the ladt semi serious question on the form about outside interests.
Y if you can put an intelligent and honest spin on it. You can always provide Concept's, DTFG's, etc.'s contact information too if they want references to confirm this. (I'm assuming you either have their telephone numbers or that they wouldn't be fussed to provide them to you for something like this.) Just make sure that you're all on the same page as far as detailing what your job duties were, what your position was, etc.

N if you have to be dishonest. Also N if you have to be so straight honest that you're telling them, "Yes, I spent hundreds of hours moderating a playpen of children and man-children pretending to be Pokémon Trainers."
Old 06-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #114
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah this isn't the kind of thing I'd have to reference (and I have MPs to list there). It's more to make me stick out in their mind but only because I've not really got anything else to fill out the last 20 words.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #115
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I would be honoured to be Kush's referee.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #116
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

HIRED

HIRED HIRED HIRED HIRED

ORIENTATION IS TOMORROW AT TEN!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

(An introvert throwing himself into a job which requires talking to hundreds of people a day? Shut up, self-improvement is my grand quest!)
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #117
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Kin what did you do.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #118
Emp
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
(An introvert throwing himself into a job which requires talking to hundreds of people a day? Shut up, self-improvement is my grand quest!)
I had this problem, until I realised that being social and pretending to be social (customer service etc - not relations with other employees) are two different things.

Condragulations by the way

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #119
Sneaze
Mrow?

Kush, if you're not putting some form of spin on having been an LO as management experience or some shit you are doing things so very wrong. Most places won't check up on things like that anyway, and even if they do, it's still legit enough.

As an aside, I managed to find myself in a decent job that starting as of tomorrow. Good pay but veeery long days, so. But it should hold me over as I continue searching for a job that isn't entry level.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:37 AM   #120
Mercutio
Banned

Nice work on the jobs, gang!

I did reference pokémon, lol. I sense failure on the horizon!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #121
Mercutio
Banned

Job interview? Job interview.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #122
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Congrats Kush, hope you nail it.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #123
Mercutio
Banned

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #124
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I just got a job at a Pizza Hut! I'm gonna be a racecar delivery driver.

I start Sunday and I'm super excited oh my god

I'm gonna be like the only white guy anywhere around because that neighborhood is really diverse, but it's gonna be a pretty awesome job all around. Something like $20/hr average (counting average tips) which is pretty goddamn good for a starting position, and I'll be reimbursed for gas and everything.

I can afford a nice apartment and real food!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #125
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I just got a job at a Pizza Hut! I'm gonna be a racecar delivery driver.

I start Sunday and I'm super excited oh my god

I'm gonna be like the only white guy anywhere around because that neighborhood is really diverse, but it's gonna be a pretty awesome job all around. Something like $20/hr average (counting average tips) which is pretty goddamn good for a starting position, and I'll be reimbursed for gas and everything.

I can afford a nice apartment and real food!
I value the optimism but will encourage you to stay safe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc