UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

A New and Interesting Simulator: Pokebattle

A couple of friends from Serebii had been chatting about a new simulator a few months ago, and when the subject was brought up again recently, I learned that the server was in an open Beta. I decided to check it out and what I saw was great. The Sim's name is Pokebattle, and it has a really unique, and definitely fun spin on the current singles competitive scene.

Now the first thing is getting started. All you need to do is make an account and confirm your email address. Then, you'll be able to play on the sim and post on the forums, which are honestly very poorly organized and yuck to look at, but luckily it's still in beta, so there's some hope there. First I'll just give a brief overview of the interface before going into what makes battling on it so unique and great. As far as I know, there's only one chat lobby for the beta. To the right, like on Showdown, is a list of all the users by the username they signed up with. Also like showdown, to challenge or chat with users, just select their name. Now to the far right is your options menu, with your teambuilder, battle list (Which is much better than Showdown's), and leaderboard. The other options enable you to Report Bugs and do something that isn't really a concern. Between the chat and this options bar is your team and tier selection, along with your find a battle button. There is also an area where you can choose your display name. This is the name your opponents will see. However, if you select an alt from this menu, your name on the members online list will remain your registered username, making it much easier for friends to find you. You registered name is also what appears on the leader board. In terms of the ladder itself, you typically only gain a few points per match, sort of like the new Showdown ladder. In battle, you can swap around what order your Pokemon are in and what to lead with by clicking what you want to move, then clicking what you wish to exchange it with. It uses 3D sprites, and everything else is pretty straightforward.

So you're probably wondering why this is different from Showdown, and why it should have its own thread. That lies in the "tiering" of the simulator. Rather than tiering by usage, or even having tiers at all, each Pokemon is assigned something called a PBV, or Pokebattle Value. The more effective the Pokemon is, the higher the PBV. Instead of having tiers like XY OU, there's XY OU PBV 1000, which means your team's total PBV limit cannot exceed 1000. Whether or not other tiers will simply be a lower PBV limit, or have actually bans is still unknown. Currently, you can play PBV 1000 BW OU along with 1000 XY OU. Pokemon like Kyogre and Arceus that are broken even with no team support whatsoever are given a PBV of 1001 to prevent their usage. However, Pokemon that are good, but cannot simply demolish teams on their own, like Darkrai and Blaziken, are simply given PBV's in the upper 200's to restrict team building options. PBV's are largely decided by the community on the forums, and if enough support is behind changing a Pokemon's PBV, a moderator will consider it. PBV's change in between seasons. If I remember correctly, a season is either every 2 months or every 3 months. At this time, proposals to change PBV's will be made or argued for, and these changes will be implemented for the next season.

In my experiences so far, the PBV system really encourages creativity, and it creates a really fun game to play, one that, in my opinion, is much more enjoyable than Smogon's current metagame. So, if you like competitive singles, and feel like trying something different, I highly encourage you to check it out, as well as discuss the PBV based tier below. Talk about things like what Pokemon are a really good deal for their PBV, what you find just works really well in the metagame, cheap PBV cores than function well, playstyles you enjoy, Pokemon who should have their PBV changed, and whatever else!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkbeat View Post
So you're probably wondering why this is different from Showdown, and why it should have its own thread.
Considering we've been discussing Pokébattle already in the Online Competitive Pokémon thread for months now ...*

And considering that thread was a catch-all for both Pokémon-Online and Pokémon Showdown (rather than each client having their own separate thread) ...

Yes, yes I kind of am.

But it's okay. I agree that Pokémon-Online and Pokémon Showdown are cut from the same cloth whereas Pokébattle isn't. If you want a separate thread for it, whatever. If we want to merge it back into the Online Competitive Pokémon discussion thread, then we can.

* Apparently I'm the only one who posted about it. Once in February, once in April. I thought we'd discussed it more than this. Oh well.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Yeah, I flipped through the last few pages from when I noticed the Beta was open, and I didn't really see much talk about it so I decided to throw up a thread for it.

One Mon that's pretty invaluable with a pretty low PBV is Quagsire. Makes a nice counter to set up sweepers and MegaZard X, as well as fitting as a kind of glue on Stall and Balanced teams.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Wait what pokemon point battling actually caught on? I was one of the original people helping with the idea and I thought it had died out completely! This is really exciting news for me!
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
Red Panda
head head bitch

I made a team.

That graphics are a bit... ew, but I suppose everything will be worked out.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I didn't think it possible, but this might actually be a worse concept than the standard tiers. Well done, Pokebattle.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
So I made an account and have tried this out. In all honesty, it's actually pretty unique and interesting to latter with. Due to the 1000 PBV limit, it really allows some creative teams to be made. Especially if you're playing in XY 500 OU. While the points systme seems a bit convoluted at first, it's actually fun and makes OU a really interesting place to play with. It forces you to ask the question "What's both good and cheep?" While you can run a team with bouth Kyurem-W and Darkrai on it, you're going to really have to make everyone else on your team bad to make sure it's legal. Gems like Durant and Cloyster (At 125 and 110) are really good options for teams, due to being potent set-up sweepers with low values. While they don't have visual replays like Showdown, you can still get logs of your progress. Speaking of logs, here's me first battle log. (Also how fast battles move really surprise me)

Kamisama Nejimaki Manaphy (Wind-Up God Manaphy)
Spoiler: show

[11:29:29] maxsj joined!
Murasa sent out Absol!
maxsj sent out Mr. Mime!
Absol is exerting its pressure!

Turn 1

Murasa withdrew Absol!
Murasa sent out Ferrothorn!
maxsj's Mr. Mime used Trick Room!
Mr. Mime twisted the dimensions!

Turn 2

Murasa's Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
Mr. Mime was seeded!
maxsj's Mr. Mime used Calm Mind!
Mr. Mime's Special Attack rose!
Mr. Mime's Special Defense rose!
Mr. Mime's health is sapped by Leech Seed!

Turn 3

Murasa's Ferrothorn used Gyro Ball!
It's super effective!
Mr. Mime took 87% damage!
Mr. Mime fainted!
Mr. Mime was freed from Leech Seed!
maxsj sent out Camerupt!

Turn 4

Murasa withdrew Ferrothorn!
Murasa sent out Togetic!
maxsj's Camerupt used Flamethrower!
Togetic took 19% damage!

Turn 5

Togetic took 19% damage!
Murasa's Togetic used Dazzling Gleam!
It's not very effective...
Camerupt took 12% damage!
The twisted dimensions returned to normal!

Turn 6

Murasa's Togetic used Roost!
Togetic recovered 50% HP!
Togetic took 21% damage!

Turn 7

Murasa withdrew Togetic!
Murasa sent out Manaphy!
Manaphy took 17% damage!
Manaphy restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Turn 8

maxsj withdrew Camerupt!
maxsj sent out Amoonguss!
Murasa's Manaphy used Tail Glow!
Manaphy's Special Attack rose drastically!

Turn 9

Murasa's Manaphy used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
Amoonguss took 99% damage!
maxsj's Amoonguss used Spore!
Manaphy fell asleep!
Amoonguss restored a little HP using its Black Sludge!

Turn 10

Murasa withdrew Manaphy!
Murasa sent out Togetic!
maxsj's Amoonguss used Giga Drain!
Togetic took 5% damage!
Togetic had its energy drained!
Amoonguss absorbed some HP!
Amoonguss restored a little HP using its Black Sludge!

Turn 11

maxsj withdrew Amoonguss!
maxsj sent out Wailord!
Murasa's Togetic used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!

Turn 12

maxsj's Wailord used Blizzard!
Togetic avoided the attack!
Murasa's Togetic used Thunder Wave!
Wailord was paralyzed!

Turn 13

Murasa's Togetic used Roost!
Togetic recovered 50% HP!
A critical hit!
Togetic took 22% damage!

Turn 14

Murasa withdrew Togetic!
Murasa sent out Manaphy!
Manaphy took 17% damage!

Turn 15

maxsj withdrew Wailord!
maxsj sent out Miltank!
Murasa's Manaphy used Tail Glow!
Manaphy's Special Attack rose drastically!

Turn 16

Murasa's Manaphy used Surf!
Miltank took 100% damage!
Miltank fainted!
maxsj sent out Amoonguss!

Turn 17

Murasa's Manaphy used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
Amoonguss took 15% damage!
Amoonguss fainted!

maxsj has forfeited!

Murasa's rating: 0 -> 1016
maxsj's rating: 0 -> 984
[11:32:24] maxsj left!

Overall, a fun first match. That early game TR from Mime really allowed Ferro to nuetralize him as a threat. I would have to say Togetic was the real star this match, providing a good amount of support and tanking a lot of hits for the team. Also, with heal bell, it allowed me to cure Manaphy of Amoonguss' spore and lead a clean sweep before the forfeit. Sadly it doesn't show the rest of my team, which was Kyu-W, MegaSol, and Durant

Also, if anyone's up for a battle I'm more than happy to fight anyone.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON