UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #51
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Oh man that was really good.

Nice observation, kuskus! I hadn't even noticed it.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #52
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
I am crying right now. Legit crying.

Thanks Deo for making me not emotionally dull anymore.
Don't worry bud, I bawled my eyes out, too.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #53
deoxys
Fog Badge

Double post - speaking of things being noticed, check what I found:

Evidence that a chunk was taken out of Earth by a meteor, not nukes?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #54
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
It could have been a space missile? *shot*
Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #55
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

A meteor might have taken a chunk out of the earth, but there are still nukes and radioactive pools around (the lich king's lair) so I think that the meteor might have been the trigger for the Mushroom War that happened, or the reason why magic exists on Ooo.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #56
Nagasaki
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Yahoo to Nagasaki Send a message via Skype™ to Nagasaki
Like the shows...

AT Poll: Who do you like to be with Finn? PB, Marcie, or FP?

Mine's Marcie.

*Mordecai sound* Oooooooooh!!!
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #57
deoxys
Fog Badge

Flame Princess. It's the perfect dynamic for Finn. Finn has tried to get with PB for too long and PB is too old for him at the moment, and also kind of obnoxious. Marceline is great, but she's already explained she's not interested. She'd probably be better off with PB, to be honest :P

Flame Princess, though - she's Finn's age, inherently lawful evil (even she doesn't act like it), and Finn finally has someone who cares about him, but it comes at a price: He is physically hurt whenever he wants to hug her, kiss her, hold her, etc. So it's a really interesting dynamic because it's basically a textbook definition of 'forbidden love', so I hope they work it out somehow with magic or something. I will be a very pissed off fan if she winds up turning completely evil again, although it would make for a good plot point that Finn would have to make a choice and possibly stop the one he loves for the greater good.

Flame Princess is such an interesting character because she's unpredictable, but she's adorable and I think she and Finn are good together.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #58
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
I'm a fan of Finn/PB personally. Though I could see FP as a much more likely option.

Amyone else hear about the Marceline-centric spin-off? I've been hearing rumors, but nothing definitive.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #59
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
I'm a fan of Finn/PB personally. Though I could see FP as a much more likely option.

Amyone else hear about the Marceline-centric spin-off? I've been hearing rumors, but nothing definitive.
She has her own comic book miniseries now I know that much

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #60
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Finally got a chance to check this series out. I just watched the first three episodes and ... so far, not really seeing why people say it's so incredible. ^^; But I have friends who are saying this is one of the greatest shows they have ever seen so I will push onward. Hopefully things pick up before the end of the first season? ^^;

EDIT: Just finished Episode 04. Did not really care for the episode at all. But then OUT OF NOWHERE THAT ENDING! What the hell? ^^; So unexpected.

Last edited by Talon87; 11-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #61
deoxys
Fog Badge

Cool to see you're getting into it! This is a show I will start discussing a bit more once season 5 airs next Monday. Basically, the first season and a half or so are fairly different from what the rest of he series is like (well, kind of) due to the fact that there sort of becomes a... direction (sort of) that the series begins to take by around he end of season 2. I won't spoil or say anything though don't worry. I personally love every season and I don't know if there's an episode I flat out don't like.

Keep us updated on your progress (even if it's just little snippets) and your thoughts!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #62
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Season 1 Episodes 05 and 06 later that same night, watched Season 1 Episode 07 just now. Don't have much to say one way or another about 05 or 06. They were pretty typical for a Nickelodeon-esque kids show. Not my personal cup of tea, very much for little kids, but not offensive or bad or anything. Episode 07 offered the first real roadblock for me. I really, really hate ugly animated faces and this episode was an ugly animated face-oholic's dream. It was pretty cool that {you know who} guest starred as the voice of Ricardio but I ended up having to look away from the computer screen for like half the friggin' episode 'cause of all the shots of his various hideous faces. The humor and plot involved in the episode were pretty NickToons-tarded too. Really not seeing the grand appeal here. Maybe the show resonates better with people who lived and breathed Ren & Stimpy, CatDog, Ed, Edd, & Eddie, Spongebob Squarepants, and so on. For me, this show seems to be just another one of those. Totally for kids (I am not seeing the "it's as much for adults -- maybe even more so! :O -- as it is for kids!" claims' logic), totally for fans of those kinds of shows. But again! I'm only seven episodes in, so like, I am 100% willing to hold off on final judgments. Anything could happen.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #63
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It took 14 episodes for it to dawn on me that Jake is voiced by Futurama's Bender. (In my defense I don't watch Futurama. I've seen like 5 or so episodes.)

Episodes 08 thru 14 were all improvements over 07. Haven't super loved any of them but I guess I'd say my current favorites were either the house hunting one (12) or the one with the rough housing-hating mountain (10). City of Thieves (13) felt very Futurama-ish. The one with Jake's girlfriend and the voice box (09) felt like it was playing to the audience who finds the elderly gay pedophile on Family Guy to be hysterical. (I am not in said audience so ...) Overall nothing bad but still nothing really great. Onward!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

S1E15:
It was meh-okay. ^^;

S1E16:
Is that the voice of Mark Hamill? (Couldn't help but notice just how much he sounds like Ozai from Avatar: the Last Airbender with a hiiiiiiiiiint of Batman: the Animated Series Joker's lower, throatier laughs in there.

Ugh, extreme reaction faces are back. >.< At least they're better on Finn than they were on Ricardio.

lol @ Step 1.

One of the best episodes yet. That still doesn't mean I've come upon a truly great episode though. ^^;
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #65
Talon87
時の彼方へ

S1E17:
Okay episode.

S1E18:
"H-Hey, was that Merriweather Williams' name I just saw out of the corner of my unfocused eye? Well, surely the bronies give Merry too much flak. I mean, after all! Their biggest complaint is how Williams fails to grasp or respect what the characters' core personalities are like and how he/she always makes the characters do out-of-character things. But there's no way he/she could pull that off here! It's Adventure Time! There's no--"

*Jake tells Finn he doesn't think Finn can do shit without him*
*Jake, Man's Best Friend who always, always has Finn's back*

OH, YOU!

S1E18 continued:
I actually liked this episode, Merriweather Williams or not. Would rank it in the top quarter of episodes I've seen so far.

S1E19:
And we have another Merriweather Williams episode. The story this time felt very NickToons-ey but again it was one of the series' better episodes so far. Wondering how long before we hear Bubblegum in MLP:FiM.

S1E20:
And a third episode by Mr. Williams! What a surprise. He sure writes an awful lot for a show he isn't formally accredited for as being its creator or executive producer.

Last edited by Talon87; 11-06-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #66
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Adventure Time is OK, but I feel its popularity is mostly a function of weak competition rather than intrinsic, classic quality. Cartoon Network has been terrible for years, and AT was an under-appreciated bright spot in a sea of sludge.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Thru 22 now, onto 23. Now that I'm actually paying attention to it, it looks like Merriweather Williams is the lead writer (and perhaps one of only two writers?) on the staff. Will go back and check older episodes later to confirm this but I expect I'll find his name there waiting for me.

22 was good-okay. My friend really likes Marceline. I don't see the appeal in a trolly rockette myself but that's the beauty of life, I guess. Only girl so far aside from her who's worth shipping would be Princess Bubblegum but I don't really like her much either (she's okay I guess but she's no Twilight Sparkle) so for now I guess I'm withholding OTP judgment until I meet the Flame Princess whose name I've seen you guys drop dozens if times. I'll judge then.

Anyway, as for the plot of Episode 22, it was fine. Again, pretty typical NickToons fare. Nothing on par with Avatar: the Last Airbender or Batman: the Animated Series but not bad either. Definitely for the minds who grew up on Powerpuff Girls and the like. Shows that were never my kinds of shows. ^^; But I do like how 22 advanced some character development for both Finn and Marceline. Bit by tiny bit this show is gaining a plot and the potential for developed characters. Don't let me down, fanboys! Don't let me down, Adventure Time!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #68
deoxys
Fog Badge

On phone, pardon typos - That's the thing about Adventure Time. It has a very, very odd grab bag mixture of traits from shows across the board, and I think that's one of the things that makes it unique motto mention each episode has different qualities as well. Sometimes it's just silly, sometimes you get an action or advenutre episode a la PPG or Samurai Jack, sometimes you get an episode that you can actually say "Wow, holy shit" at the end because it actually makes you think. Sometimes you will getthe sad, like Futurama's "Jurassic Bark", and sometimes you will get the warm episode that fills you with feels, and sometimes, you'll get all of this churned together.

It's very weird, but I really enjoy it. Marceline is a fan favorite for the reasons you listed, and definitely not for everyone (emo teen vampire queen rocker girl). PB is... basically a scientist and mother-like figure. I guess?

Another thing - Pen Ward, the Creator, discussed at comic con once how they decided to make the show age with Finn and the audience. As Finn grows older, so will the show, I'm terms of maturity aspects, and I think this is pretty nifty. He also said something about taking the series from being this show that was supposed to be about some kid and his dog living in a magical land and then giving it an actual plot - and as you said, it becomes noticeable that they are sort of like "Yeah, we can do this, let's try to slowly integrate it." And while I would say that's usually a HORRIBLE idea, AT actually pulls it off quite nicely.

Also yeah, Merriwether does indeed write for AT, but I don't remember seeing his name in recent episdes. I don't complain much because while still extreme, his writing is actually somewhat believeable still for the AT Canon.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #69
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Adventure Time S1 Ep23:
Well somebody's balls have started to drop! Not sure if this would've been as obvious to people watching the TV broadcast @ one new episode a week but good lord was this obvious when you're watching the episodes back-to-back! I watched Episode 23 mere moments after submitting my last post in the thread and so the difference between Finn's voice in 22 and in 23 was really obvious. If Finn is voiced by an adult male, then holy shit and call me Susie 'cause man can this guy age a voice realistically well. But I'm gueeeeeeeeeeeeessing Finn is in fact voiced by a teenage talent.

Anyway, enough about that. The episode itself was cute and was one of the strongest entries yet in the genre of episodes which best fit what my one friend told me when selling Adventure Time. What he said to me was, "Adventure Time is all about what it was like to be a boy." Certainly you can appreciate this as early as Episode 01 with the martial arts prowess, the BFF dog who has the smarts and personality of a human, and so on. But like, many have been the episodes which just felt like generic NickToons fare and that only tangentially held true to my friend's promise. But not so with Episode 23. This episode wasn't tangentially related: it was spot on related. Playing indoors on a rainy day. Using your imagination to imagine that you can't touch the floor because it's fiery lava. Imagining deus ex machina solutions to problems created by your own imagination (as explored in the episode's resolution). This was very much an episode I could relate to. I don't know that it's necessarily something only little boys do as opposed to all children period, but I could very much relate. And that made it more fun that it might have otherwise been.

Adventure Time S1 Ep24:
The first half of this episode was fun (though UGH @ their infatuation with fug faces). It kinda got boring in the second half but it's not like that matters too much since these episodes are all so short. ^^; I can see why not everyone ships Finn x Princess Bubblegum though. She's kind of a bitch. ^^;

Adventure Time S1 Ep25:
This was the episode where Finn and Jake discovered the cavernous retreat of one of the most famous heroes in history and they then listen to his gospel about practicing non-violence and not rescuing people all the time since they're only going to wind up getting into trouble again anyway. It was a fun episode though I have to wonder about the moral it sends to kids. Don't really want to overthink it right now though. ^^;

Adventure Time S1 Ep26:
This was the episode with the Gut Grinder. It was an okay episode. We've seen similar premises done better elsewhere but if the Adventure Time team wanted to give it a shot then whatever.

Adventure Time S2 Ep01:
I was torn all episode long between feeling "this is a good episode and it's finally starting to get the plot ball rolling" and feeling "ugh, this is so Samurai Jack or PowerPuff Girls ". Not sure whether I like the character introduced in this episode or not. Very torn.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #70
deoxys
Fog Badge

Yeah, I would agree with your friend on that one - for the most part.

As for S2E01, it's easily one of the most memorable episodes, mostly because of the "Daddy, Why Did You Eat My Fries?" song, which is a fan favorite. I personally don't care much for it as a whole, but I really enjoyed the line "I'll see you in the Nightosphere you sick freak." because I found it out of the blue and somewhat hilarious, not to mention the "This ant is about to get in his pants!" line, which became one of the first of many lines in AT to kind of, um... make you do a double take at the innuendo.

Fun fact: Marceline's dad was voiced by the voice of Marceline's dad, and the episode was also emmy nominated (though I personally don't see how, albeit a lot consider that theme of seperated daughter and father to be a mature one, I guess).

As much as I love S1, I am still of the opinion (and I'm sure many will disagree with me) that it's the weakest season of the series (My favorite was probably Season 3), so here's to the future seasons for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #71
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

I really liked the line "Nobody flicks my butt without my consent!"
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #72
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I never felt AT was anything like PPG or Dexter's Lab. It's very much a next-gen Cartoon Network cartoon, like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was. Although, I'd say AT was more like the grandchild of cartoons like PPG, whereas Foster's was the child.

Gravity Falls has way more in common with Regular Show than those cartoons of olde.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #73
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You're taking issue with me saying it's like a gibbon and telling me that I should be saying it's like a chimpanzee. Gibbon, chimp: both are primates, ffs, more related to one another than to monkeys, more related to one another than to other mammals, more related to one another than to other animals, and so on. The fact is that I'm a visitor from another planet and I haven't seen all of your Terran animals. I've seen bats, cats, crocodiles, and gibbons. So when I say "this show reminds me of NickToons like Spongebob Squarepants or CN crap like Samurai Jack," you have to understand where I am coming from. You who liked a lot of those shows and grew up knowing all of them? You get very nitty-gritty with your comparisons. I who never cared for them, didn't have cable, and was already in college when some of them started? I'm going to be more general to you -- but as specific as I can be expected to get.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #74
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You'll have to forgive me then. Your style is usually to start at "the beginning" and work your way down to the most recent. Given that, I assumed that even if you hadn't seen shows like SpongeBob in your youth (and received your very own pair of rose-tinted glasses), you'd have watched some of those shows prior to starting Adventure Time, especially given the context Adventure Time is always presented through - comparisons with the '90s era Cartoon Network Golden Era originals.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #75
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Gravity Falls and Regular Show I find better than Adventure Time. But AT has grown on me a bit more since the first impression, early season one.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment