UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 12-15-2018, 12:06 AM   #301
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Props to Formaggio for being a cool throwaway villain.

Spoiler: show
Apparently Narancia actually killed him, unlike Zucchero and and Sale, who are somehow still alive despite terrible things done to them.

Zucchero had his eye burnt out and Sale should be a vegetable with his brain damage, how can they be alive? But apparently they were.

Formaggio had to stomach getting shot, blown up, his wrist cut, blown up again, then shot again.

IMV, Part V is like a better Part III. You don't have Joseph and his old man dynamic, but Polenareff and Joseph's quirkiness is divided between Mista, Narancia and Fugo. There's a lot clearer progression of why the characters are in a specific location, beyond "just get to Egypt" like in Part III.

-They go to Capri to retreive Polpo's fortune
-They hang out in a vineyard close to Naples on orders
-They're traveling to Pompeii due to an item located there

I'm really curious as to where Giorno stands on a lot of things. His ultimate goal is to kill The Boss, right? So it's interesting he's opposing the Hitman Team who also want to kill The Boss. I guess it's because they don't know his identity?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #302
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hello friends, I had a fridge moment just now thinking about Fugo's Stand.

"Purple Haze" produces a deadly virus, but in the clinical setting we use "purple haze" to describe the distinct lactose fermentation produced by E.coli on MacConkey agar plates. E.coli can be pathogenic!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-29-2018, 12:10 AM   #303
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Illuso was less impressive than Formaggio, but he also had to deal with three characters who figured out his powers pretty quickly. I also have to question how it was possible a mirror appeared in the house with the Pompeii Dog, right where the key was.

Abacchio made some questionable decisions in this episode that were handwaived by his desire to follow someone. Like touching the key...didn't he suspect it was booby-trapped? The trap doesn't have to be deadly, but some layer of protection to ensure that someone from the Hitman Team doesn't get it first? He did great against Illuso given his Stand isn't for fighting, but it was questionable he didn't even consider the possibility.

The Hitman Team's activities don't make any sense. Are they acting together or independently? Because when they were introduced, they were showing coordinating together with the computer, yet they have strange prescient knowledge of what Bruno's team is doing for no reason. Formaggio implied they were branching out to comb Italy for the boss' daughter.

It also wasn't shown that Formaggio leaked the details of his battle with Narancia, but it was implied and it was a decent assumption to make. Yet, Illuso being at Pompeii ahead of Abacchio's team doesn't make sense unless Bruno's team was being wiretapped the whole time, which isn't the case clearly. Illuso setting up mirror traps in specific locations doesn't make sense. Illuso's entire purpose for being there doesn't make sense because they're after the boss' daughter and know she's not with Abaccio, but stuck at the vinyard (which Bruno admitted was compromised). So why not assault the vineyard with the beef of the team? :/

This could be explained in a way that ties it up, but hasn't been. The battles themselves were pretty solid except for these nagging contextual concerns. I'm actually kind of glad Illuso was less impressive than Formaggio because not everyone in a team is as equally dangerous.

Overall, I think this is the best Jojo series I've seen, even if the characters are not as charismatic as prior entries. The plot is good and the migration from location to location is organic and fluid. The actual writing of the Stand battles is top-tier, I don't have to question things like Joseph not using Hermit Purple to find Kira or Jotaro not spamming time stop everywhere. The animation is acceptable while the style is pretty on-model, and the censorship is minimal.

They blacked out Illuso's bleeding but weren't afraid to show him melt into ooze a la The Wicked Witch of the West, with his eyeball floating in the Illuso soup.

Gaawd daaang.

I adore this series!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-19-2019, 02:15 AM   #304
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Why is Part V so good? I feel like I've been trolled for over a decade. What was supposed to be the worst part has been the strongest Jojo entry to date, even with some of the flaws.

Is it the anime adaption? I need to read this after the anime finishes. I'm shocked at how fun this is.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #305
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Uhhhhhhhh...??!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-10-2019, 01:40 AM   #306
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I held back on talking about this week's episode because I wanted to see if anyone else saw what I did, but since there hasn't been talk I'll share.

Golden Wind - 18

This episode was a bombshell for a number of reasons. There's so much to unpack, I didn't know where to start. So let's start in chronological order.

Melone - I was please to see Giorno be the one to dispatch him and Babyface. It's a small move, but it reaffirms he's ruthless and cunning like Dio and unlike Jonathan.

It was a little puzzling at first that Melone could be trapped so easily, but the-so-called "Hitman Team" isn't very intelligent.

They split their firepower up to waylay Team Bucciarati, which is ridiculous. They know Bruno has 5 Stand users under his command. Sending a single Stand user, or even two to combat them is ridiculous. They didn't even take into account the possibility Trish is a Stand user, which she obviously is right now.

Moreover, they are doing anything they possibly can to intercept Trish, which doesn't make any sense to me. The only way that would be logical is if Trish's Stand gives them the power to beat The Boss, but there's no way they could know what Trish's Stand is.

Ghiaccio - he's hilarious and fourth-wall breaking with his diatribe on Venicia/Venice. Which the subs were even guilty of, but the narration wasn't. It's a little sad that Prosciutto, Illuso, Risotto are the only ones without personality quirks.

Mista - going into this anime, I thought Narancia would be the "second" main character as the powerful comic relief guy, with a stupid powerful Stand and a dumb, offbeat personality. Following the footsteps of Polenareff, Okuyasu.

But no, it's Mista the MVP. He not only had his intro duel with Sale, he also fought Pesci/Prosciutto and now Ghiaccio. This is the third Stand user he's had a fight with, albeit in a pair-up with another Stand user. Sex Pistols doesn't see like that great of a Stand, but Mista's shown to be both capable with it and subject to comic relief.

The Boss - dude's frightening. Much more ominous than Dio ever was, given the power he already has at his disposal. What struck me is he's a lot younger looking than I expected - maybe 10 years older than Trish instead of a Marlon Brando-esque mafia boss.

Pericolo

This was an amazing scene that also made me realize some sudden plot points. But first, one of the themes of Golden Wind is loyalty. Polpo laid out as much in his lecture to Giorno. Here, we see both sides: the Hitman Team loyal to its own members but ultimately disloyal to Passione, and Pericolo basically taking his own life for The Boss.

Of course, this scene was a major plot hole. Had it taken place in a public area, OK. But it took place inside the Key, which the Hitman Team didn't know about. Who took out Pericolo's body from the room? Abacchio should have been able to see that. How did the Hitman Team reconstruct the photograph from ashes, even using a computer? It's nutty.

Now, the big spoilers. What I noticed.

#1 The Boss knows how Abacchio's Stand works.

Neither the Hitman Team nor Team Bucciarati know each other's Stand powers. They may know a few things, but never any important details. But The Boss knows exactly what it does, and planned around it. How?

#2 The Boss knows Giorno killed Polpo

There's two pieces of evidence for this.

If The Boss knows Abacchio's Stand and wasn't told about it, he should know who killed Polpo. After this arc, imagine if Bruno's next mission is to have Abacchio investigate who killed Polpo. At this point, everyone will see the banana turn into a pistol, and put the team into hot water. They either turn Giorno in, or they are forced to betray The Boss then and there. This puts Team Bucciarati on a collision course to fight The Boss, which otherwise I can't think of any other idea that would both be a good enough excuse and tie into the "loyalty" theme of the anime.

More telling - Polpo explained that he had a collection of rare guns. The pistol he had was specifically pointed out as rare and unusual, especially considering this anime takes place around 2001. This is the same pistol that Pericolo used to kill himself. The only way it would have been more telegraphed is if he put it in his mouth. I'm sure Giorno recognized the gun and realized that The Boss already knows he killed Polpo.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #307
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

While I had never read Golden Wind, I knew of a few spoilers beforehand that have put the pieces to the puzzle here today.

-the main villain is Diavolo
-his Stand is King Crimson
-it has the special ability to "skip time"

I didn't know that "The Boss" was in fact Diavolo, but since the Stands match up, that confirms it. The Boss is the final boss.

I'm not sure if Bruno is dead. I think he is. What he did was dangerous and risky, but then again no one else in the series who engaged Stand users on their own was quite as accomplished as him. Even if he's the strongest piece in the team, the information on King Crimson needs to get to the team so they can figure out how to beat him.

That said...I don't fully understand how this Stand works. Even knowing that it "skips time", what does that even mean?

I wonder if King Crimson will now hunt down Giorno as a collaborator, and this will lead to a partnership with Risotto.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #308
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Giorno's ability is to 'give life to the lifeless', so given that Bruno's zippers briefly disappeared, I think Giorno somehow reanimated his lifeless body as a zombie or vampire. We've seen the spirit vision with Joseph in the past, so this isn't out of the question.

If I'm correct, it's pretty interesting that Giorno would have a Stand with a similar power to vampire Dio.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #309
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

W-what?

Nero can use iron dust to make himself invisible? WHAT?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-26-2019, 11:19 PM   #310
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was not expecting this to happen at all. In fact, what the fudge did happen?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #311
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

THIS IS THE BEST JOJO!

It's even better than Steel Ball Run, JFC!

Fudge the haters, fudge you all!!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #312
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #313
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

On a whim I decided to watch the opening this week, and I'm glad I didn't skip it.

Diavolo did it for me.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #314
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mista-Trish is way sexier than regular Trish. That personality goes really well with those looks.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime