UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-16-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Pokemon Q/A

Trainers, Breeders & collectors of all ages, welcome to this threads Q/A for Pokemon games (Spin offs and older generations included)!

Here you can ask anything from the meaning of certain terminology to where you can find that elusive pokemon you’ve been searching for. Some example questions bellow:

“What are EVs & IVs and how to they work?”

Where can I find [POKEMON]?”

“What does STAB mean?”

“Where do I change the form of Rotom?”

and more!

Last edited by Zelphon; 11-17-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Remember to use the search feature on the forums first before asking! We've probably answered it before!

Also will anchor posts in this post here if you're too lazy to search.

How to Eeveelution

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Honestly, this is a misguided attempt to head off satosere from making more unnecessary threads. The community tends not to like catch-all threads -- I know I sure don't -- and a thread like this one, "all Pokémon video game-related questions go here," stupidly oversteps the bounds of a thread by superceding 50% of the Pokémon forum's purpose.

This isn't the first time you've tried to make a catch-all thread either, Zelphon. You also did it here with MMOs, and what Sneezey told you then goes double for this thread.

I appreciate that there is frustration with satosere "spamming" the forums right now with the threads he/she keeps posting. And for the record, I agree that most of the threads thus far have been unnecessary. But not all. And that's the thing: I think that while it's fair to say that UPN is a more sedate community than most and that newcomers need to respect our "way of life" rather than trying to make us become Serebii, there's also something to be said for the catch-22 of, "We say we welcome contributions to forum activity but then when people try they get shot down." See satosere. See, ironically, Zelphon with this very reply. You guys need to be mindful of whether you're just being curmudgeony or whether you're really right to shoot someone down for posting a new thread.

In this case, there's nothing curmudgeony about my reply. Like I stated previously, a thread intended to be a repository for any and all Pokémon video game-related questions is far too broad for a Pokémon message board. We have a Pokémon forum for a reason. It's meant to collect Pokémon threads. People asking for trades ... people asking about evolution ... people asking what your favorite type or generation is ... people asking where they can buy Pokémon merchandise .... Trying to cram all of that into one giant Q&A thread isn't the best approach. If you were to include a clause about questions with no thread to call home and which don't warrant the creation of a brand-new thread, then maybe. Even so, you can't stifle thread generation. That's the road to a dead forum.

If you have an issue with satosere's threads, I would suggest a direct approach and one suitable to a person his/her age. Don't chain the rest of the community just because you're tired of one person's thread making.

satosere, if you're reading this: we tend to be a community that operates on the principle of "everything has its proper place." If there's not a thread that covers the thing you want to post about, well then you're obviously encouraged to consider making a thread to house it. But if a pre-existing thread could serve as a home just as appropriately, then your post should probably go there. For example, asking about how to evolve Sylveon would have been fine for the XY General Playthrough thread, and asking how to evolve all of the Eeveelutions would be the sort of question best directed at a Bulbapedia search. You don't really need a stand-alone thread for what amounts to a copy-and-paste of a wiki article's guts and then the thread is over after just three posts.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Postscript: Sometimes general or catch-all threads have their purpose. I have been known to create some myself! Make no mistake. But I'm just saying, this thread was clearly created in response to satosere's thread-making and seems intended to head him/her off at the pass before he/she can spam with any more one-and-done threads. I appreciate the concern about thread spam, but there are better ways of dealing with it than this. That's all. Feel free to make general, all-purpose threads in the future if you think they're warranted. Threads like these obviously serve a purpose or they wouldn't be so common on sites with larger traffic than ours.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

It is one thing to passive-aggressively complain about a satosere. It is quite another to do so publicly and nastily. And it is still a third thing to do the exact same thing within that thread to Talon. None of your actions here are justified.

I am incredibly disappointed with you, Zelphon. I did not realize you were so petty.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Not everything is done passive aggressively. Aimed at everyone in this thread.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
It might be a good idea to clarify this thread's purpose as I don't think its a catch-all for every single question that might come about in the Pokeverse. Granted, it really doesn't matter either way to me so take this with a grain of salt.

Shuckle, Zelphon, check your attitudes at the door. There isn't a reason to aggravate or escalate this into a bad situation.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
It might be a good idea to clarify this thread's purpose as I don't think its a catch-all for every single question that might come about in the Pokeverse.
And neither do I. (Check my post! ) I'm aware he made a thread that was only meant to cover the PVG scene. But that's just the thing: per the stated scope of his thread, he wants every single PVG-related question asked here! Quote:
Quote:
Got any questions related to a Pokémon game, ask it here!
What if I'd rather ask my XY question in the XY thread?
What if I'd rather ask my Z news question in the Z news thread?
What if I'd rather ask my Winter Regionals 2016 question in the Winter Regionals 2016 thread?

The thread's just too broad in scope right now. To say nothing of the fact that it's not even in the right forum. I shouldn't have to defend myself nor prove that Zelphon created this thread in direct response to satosere's Eevee evolutions thread, but if you want proof you need look no further than the fact that satosere, being new to the forum, accidentally posted here in Video Games instead of in Pokémon ... and then Zelphon followed his/her lead and posted this thread also in Video Games instead of in Pokémon! C'mon, guys. Are we really going to pretend we don't see what happened here and that I'm just imagining the worst in people?

Speaking of which ... someone was mentioning the other day how they love learning about UPN history, so I guess this is good timing for a fun little UPN history detour. The Pokémon forum you see today was until "relatively recently" (2008? 2009? 2010?) titled the Pokémon Video Games forum! Going way way back, 2002, 2003 era, we used to have separate Pokémon forums for the anime, video games, and TCG. But after several forum resets we quit bringing back the (dead) Pokémon Anime forum and the (also dead) Pokémon TCG forum. So all that was left eventually was the (still popular) Pokémon Video Games forum. Then some years later, when we realized we didn't exactly have a good place to house non-PVG discussion, Kuno rebranded the PVG forum into the general purpose Pokémon forum we know and love today. But it's always been home to UPN's PVG discussion. You can find some fossil evidence of the forum's past role here by looking at what threads are at the very back end of it. Notice how they're all video game related? It's not a coincidence. You're looking at the forum community equivalent of some dinosaur bones. Pretty neat, huh?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
Emi

Oh no that wasn't meant to you, I was just trying to be constructive lol
Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #10
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Clearly his needlessly large post is right, we should stop trying to improve the efficiency of the forum
Back in the day I helped build an efficiently structured UPN site but forums? Not really so much. A bunch of us are well versed in procastination after all!

Efficient for a poster is making a new thread an getting a quick easy to find reply.
Efficient for a board is not having a million new threads all the time all drowning each other out.

Kinda hard ta have it both ways. It seems like sticky threads largely go ignored so sticking this one may not have a positive effect for instance! Either way somethings gonna slip through the cracks an game questions'll be asked outside this thread anyhow. Assuming any get asked here in the first place x.x seems like things got way off topic way fast so some retooling might be needed?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:21 AM   #11
satosere
Cascade Badge

Are you guys seriously talking about me behind my back?
Old 11-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #12
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

No. Aside from mild annoyance over threads popping up, nothing I'm aware of is deliberately targetting you in a way to hurt you.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 11-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Aye. Despite some presumptions I simply made this thread because I thought it'd be helpful, not because I was trying to send a message or annoyed with you.

At any rate, I'll be fixing up the OP sometime today. If we could all delete our off topic posts that'd be grand.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #14
Mercutio
Banned

Talon is wrong and this is a good idea. I have actually wondered on multiple occasions why we don't have a catch all games thread, a catch all animé/manga thread, a catch all "all hail the great and glorious Kush" thread.

But Talon's right that it probably won't work unless we make it work. Suggest it's made super prominent by the admins. C'est la vie. Its true that a general Pokémon thread on a Pokémon forum is not super useful lol.

They're making your life much easier Satosere, this way you have one place to go instead of having to keep track of lots of different threads Also grumpy people like me will not wonder why there are three new unread threads every time we log in!

Thanks for creating guys.

Last edited by Mercutio; 11-17-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Better?

Old 11-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #16
Mercutio
Banned

Sure. Get Jeri to change the title.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #17
satosere
Cascade Badge

I'll happily delete the off-topic posts. I won't make multiple threads for one-topic things anymore and I'm sorry if that annoyed you guys.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #18
Emi

So do we have a general thread for playthroughs of a not X/Y/ORASs related nature? I'm still a poor bloke without a 2DS so I'm still chugging away with Black 2.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
So do we have a general thread for playthroughs of a not X/Y/ORASs related nature? I'm still a poor bloke without a 2DS so I'm still chugging away with Black 2.
BW2 General Playthrough thread is in the News forum still. For whatever reason we posted the BW1 and BW2 threads there but didn't do the same thing for XY or ORAS.

BW2 thread (over 800 replies; this is undeniably the official BW2 discussion thread)

Can't find the BW1 thread. A clue is in the BW2 thread's OP post. You can find a locked thread in the Pokémon forum but it seems to cut off right before the game comes out. The actual playthrough discussion thread appears to be missing. Possibly deleted by Kuno?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #20
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
BW2 General Playthrough thread is in the News forum still. For whatever reason we posted the BW1 and BW2 threads there but didn't do the same thing for XY or ORAS.

BW2 thread (over 800 replies; this is undeniably the official BW2 discussion thread)

Can't find the BW1 thread. A clue is in the BW2 thread's OP post. You can find a locked thread in the Pokémon forum but it seems to cut off right before the game comes out. The actual playthrough discussion thread appears to be missing. Possibly deleted by Kuno?
If you want me to, I could move the thread to the Pokemon subforum to make things easier to find. Although it is necroposting it after 3 years of basically being dead.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 02-03-2016, 12:40 AM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm all for a universal thread that people necro whenever they need to. We do it all the time in Anime. No one will talk in the Hikaru no Go thread for years and then whammo, someone new wants to watch the show and they bump the thread. Perfectly fine. The way I prefer it, really. Would rather have all of the relevant conversation under the same roof. No one likes spam, let alone spam that knocks threads off the front page senselessly. Necroing older threads and keeping thread creation restricted to a needs-only situation is one of the best approaches to minimizing these problems.

On the flipside, I know Loki's argued the con in the past, saying he hates it when people necro threads and that you should make a new thread when you want to discuss a topic that hasn't been discussed in years.

So like ... veterans or newbies, staff or non-staff, I think UPN's got people on both sides of the argument for this one. You're gonna piss people off either way.

Personally, I like the sound of moving the thread out of News (it is no longer news), into the Pokémon forum, and people who want to discuss BW2 posting in there. We all were already using it as our "HEY, MA! LOOK AT ME! NO HANDS!" playthrough discussion thread, so it's perfectly suited to Emi's purposes if that's what she wants to discuss.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:54 AM   #22
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

And done.

Relatively painless I guess but we'll see.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 02-15-2016, 05:40 AM   #23
satosere
Cascade Badge

So I've got a question! Does anyone know what Clemont and Aria shipping is called? Because I'm a huge fan of it.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #24
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by satosere View Post
So I've got a question! Does anyone know what Clemont and Aria shipping is called? Because I'm a huge fan of it.
At this point, I don't see it having a name. Maybe you could be one of those folks who name ships.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 02-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #25
satosere
Cascade Badge

That would be awesome!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON