UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

There's an alleged leaked script online and the movie sounds horrible.

"Worse than the prequels" LOL, that might be worth the ticket price alone.

I'm not going to see it, though. Of course not.

Discuss!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

It's very hard to judge this on it's own because of how horrible a setup The Last Jedi left with the franchise. It's like the Germans trying to win WW2 after losing on the Russian Front. You're working with such a deficit that it makes everything exponentially more difficult.

I know J.J. Abrams originally didn't want to do episode 9, but he was convinced by his wife to try and fix it. It's a uphill battle and I feel like we can only really blame Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy for the current state of Star Wars.

I also feel like Star Wars has been well past it's peak. If we can put some of the major franchises to bed, hopefully we can get some new ideas in Hollywood.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:01 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I also feel like Star Wars has been well past it's peak. If we can put some of the major franchises to bed, hopefully we can get some new ideas in Hollywood.
Expanded Universe still has stories that feel like Star Wars, far more than the new films The corporate and political influences are way too prevalent. Imagine if Tie Fighter or Jedi Knight were adapted instead. Tonally, they're 100% authentic SW.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Critics aren't just throwing tomatoes, they're throwing the cans, and the canneries, at Disney!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Of course they will, it's easier to blame Disney for sending it to shit than to admit there shouldn't've been more than one film total.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Well... Empire Strike Back is easily the best film, but it has to close the trilogy so we needed Return of the Jedi. RotJ and after were all kind of cashgrabs. Also, whether or not it should have had more films or not is irrelevant now, they've made more films and nothing we as fans could say can stop that. We blamed George Lucas for the pisspoor prequels as much as we now blame Disney (especially Kathleen Kennedy) for the garbage sequels.

I've also heard the bad reviews and I was watching Midnight's Edge's full spoiler review and it sounds like all kind of horse shit. CGI Leia will be a part of the film and it's kind of horrifying. Especially with the announcement of a new James Dean film. That man has been dead since 1955! Unless they're showing his dead bones on screen, he shouldn't be credited in any more new films!

I was discussing with a friend about how ridiculously inconsistent Star Wars has been overall as a franchise. We went from amazing stuff with the original trilogy that pushed special effects in the industry forward and fairly decent story to a trilogy that had a horrible dialogue and confusing plot that was an excuse for great CGI to now a cinematically well made trilogy, but horrible writing and terrible characters. And the Disney trilogy itself is inconsistent thanks to the wild shift in showrunners.

I also feel like this film really shows that J.J. Abrams is kind of a hackfraud bad creative writer. Most of his films feel like copies of other more famous works and when he's given the two biggest sci-fi franchises (Star Trek and Star Wars), he really drops the ball. I still think he can make good looking films, but I don't have any more confidence in his ability to write a good narrative.

I felt like JJtrek's first film was decent even if it overly exaggerated the characters, but Into Darkness was a clear indication he didn't know what he was doing with the franchise and threw random crap in purely for nostalgia while not knowing the background of those names and characters. Sadly, Beyond was a great film but the franchise was already dead at this point from the previous film's blunder.

The Force Awakens was a lazy copy of Star Wars (I don't call it A New Hope) but at least it was fun and was a good opening for a new trilogy. It opened up the Star Wars universe with the mystery of Rey's origins and gave us something to look forward to. Sadly The Last Jedi threw everything into the trash. And now we have The Rise of Skywalker, a film made from picking through the scraps of the garbage dump and hoping to salvage the franchise.

Meanwhile we have The Mandalorian. So maybe Star Wars as a franchise isn't dead, but it certainly has it's problems and hopefully new leadership can put it back on track.

Or it can die as a franchise and we made something completely new and amazing to fill the void.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Mandalorian is good, but as the recent episodes have shown, it's not perfect, especially when it doesn't have a strong narrative to drive it (the first three episodes were essentially Acts I-III). It doesn't help that Disney hired Jurassic Park's CEO to direct one of the episodes.

What always pushed my buttons about Disney wiping the Legends canon is you had legit good sci-fi writers contribute to the Expanded Universe. Star Trek TOS had the best science fiction writers of the day do episodes for Roddenberry - similarly, while I think Timothy Zahn is better now than he was when he wrote the Thrawn trilogy, the reality is he is a legit science fiction writer and J.J. Abrams is not.

Look at what happend to GOT when lesser writers had to invent an ending.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-19-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes
When there already exists some very good kid-targeted Star Wars toons (Rebels, Clone War, etc.), one cannot escape the fact that Rise of Skywalker has turned this entire new Star Wars trilogy from a kids’ franchise into one aimed at nostalgic adults yearning for a time when they believed they were the most important generation [in history].
Vicious.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment