UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 01-24-2014, 12:53 AM   #176
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I finally fixed my PS3 problem, so back to Dark Souls! I've obtained some more stuff too.

Dark Souls
Oh how I've forgotten how damn addicting this game is when it's not pissing you off. I've always thought of Dark Souls as an abusive husband, while you're the abused wife. It keeps beating the shit out of you, and you decide you've had enough, and leave it. After a small while later, your stupid ass goes back to it because it makes a sexytime 10x better than those other "nice" games! Joking aside, I'm having an easier time this run than my first. It might be because of the knowledge from the previous run, or it might be because I'm a thief this time instead of the sorcerer. I just...don't like the online stuff that much. I have never cared for PvP, so a game that almost forces me into it kinda bothers me. I usually either stay hollow or just disable my PS3's internet.

Get:

Dragon's Crown
Why the hell not? I was highly doubtful on whether or not I would even like this, but I decided to just go for it. I like the art and atmosphere, so there's one plus at the very least. Oh, and it seems Atlus DOES know how to do dual audio afterall! Even if it's a small bit when selecting your character. Get with the times assholes!

Grand Theft Auto IV
Eeeeehhhhh.....I was told I would get a free game under $20, but after looking around for games, none of them were interesting, so I just picked this up. It might be fun, but I have never cared for GTA.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #177
Red Panda
head head bitch

As I mentioned in the PASBL TO, I got Pikmin 3 today. I've also played the first, but not the second, so I remember little. I'm not too far in, though I've sadly already lost a Pikmin. *Sigh* Though overall I'm liking this game a lot.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #178
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Get!

Bravely Default
This game is finally out in the US! I'm liking it quite a lot so far. It's pretty clear that Square is looking to return to their roots. This game is very FF1 meets FF3 (well, from what I can tell based off what little I've played of both games). I like the Job System a lot; it reminds me a lot of the FFTA system, which is probably my favorite across the handful of Job-related games I've played. I will say, though, there is a bit of a learning curve; I haven't really figured out how to optimize Brave vs. Default yet and I lost to what is supposed to be a fairly easy optional boss.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #179
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I figured Lindsay would want to do it. IIRC she was a little disappointed when Deo got the jump on her last year since it has kind of been her traditional thread to post each year. I could be wrong, but ... *shrug*
I was just caught off guard with timezones is all! Anyone could do an totally should've by now >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I think laziness is the top reason things are not done.
I'm not lazy I've just been playing to many games to post alot or make a new one!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #180
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Played and got fed up with:

Dragon's Crown
Oh god fucking damnit! When I first saw this game, I thought it would be a lame and uninteresting beat-em-up, and dismissed it. After seeing so much praise for it, I figured I might be wrong, and decided to check it out. NOPE! My first impression was right. I should have kept dismissing it. There's different classes and all that, but there's little to no skills for classes to learn, leaving you doing the exact same thing the entire damn game.

Grand Theft Auto IV
This game was fun for a while, but I started getting irritated with how they handled failed missions. Well maybe it's just how I don't have as much patience as I did with videogames when I used to. Anyway, I just got fed up with how I had to fetch another car, and drive from where I got the mission, to where the mission takes place when I failed one. It was especially frustrating on Packie's missions. I know the answer to it would be to simply stop sucking, but I'm not a lifeless teenager anymore! It's not a bad game or anything. I just got tired of doing the same thing over and over again. I loved the radio shows atleast?

Get:

Bravely Default
I decided to go ahead and get this. I have doubts as to whether it will be any good or not, but I'll see for myself whether or not it'll be a letdown. It looks like the remade FF3, which was okay. I love the class designs though.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #181
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Grand Theft Auto IV
I loved the radio shows atleast
I think that was what kept me playing the game as long as I did.

Also, I am worried about your comment about disliking repetition and yet you bought Bravely Default. Hope you enjoy anime cliches, menu battles, and GRINDING.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #182
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Get/Beat: Long Live The Queen

So that game was under my radar for a while, but although it's already inexpensive at its regular price (10$) I was waiting for a Steam sale to kick in (even if it's a small one) before I actually do buy it. It almost happened during the famous holiday sales, but it only showed up as an option at one community's choice and unfortunately didn't win the voting process. But lo and behold, a sale came around for Valentine's week-end, and LLTQ was right in it, at 50% off. Insta-buy!

As for playing/beating it, well it can be pretty frustrating to have Elodie die and die again before your eyes for either the same reasons/situation as before even though you did work on the correct stats to survive beforehand, or got to survive one life-or-death situation only to end up in another where she doesn't just because you concentrated Elodie's stats just to survive the first event. Buuuuuuuuut it's kinda part of the fun, since after she dies, you start over (either from last save or completely over, your choice) so you can find the right balance of everything, and you get a strong sense of relief and success when getting over an event you died from before. And speaking of death, her "dying art" can be funny the first time you encounter a new way for the princess to die (especially a few but I won't name for the sake of spoilers) and some situations, even skill failures, can be hilarious. Without getting into much details (because spoilers everywhere, again!) it's only when I died close to the ending that I figured a way for her to survive until her birthday/crowning. However, I find that (although I'm not sure) I just took the easy way out of it, and since there's multiple endings to get, different epilogues, storylines that shows up only if you took a different path... Well I'm sure I'm going to play it again so I get to see everything! ^^;

So all and all it's a cool game for its price, but if you're very impatient and you hate going through walls of text (even with the option of skipping) this game is not for you.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #183
phoopes
Double Dragon

Get/Beat: Fire Emblem Awakening

I had never played a Fire Emblem game before, but I had heard great things. Well hoooooly shit this game did not disappoint. I played on Normal Casual (easiest difficulty, no perma-death) because I'm a loser, but there were some points of the game that did give me a serious challenge. However, the more I played, the better I got, and I actually managed to beat the final boss in two turns without losing a single unit. Admittedly I did it in a kind of cheap way but hey it still counts.

Anyway, the one aspect of the game that I didn't really expect going in was the support system (AKA Dating Sim 2013). It was... actually done really well in a highly enjoyable way. It made me feel a lot more connected to the characters than I normally would. Also the bonuses for pairing up a spouse in combat really made me like playing matchmaker, hehe. For those of you wondering, I ended up marrying Lissa, however... (Midgame plot spoilers)
Spoiler: show
Sully was my favorite female for sure, but Chrom ended up stealing her from me before I got the S rank support following the battle with Gangrel. At least I bedded his sister as payback HEYO ;)
There were some touching moments in the game, both involving romance and not, which made very emotional me tear up at a few points.

The gameplay was pretty darn fantastic I must say. It really was fun living up to the tactician's namesake, as the strategies and risks you have to take are really good puzzles to work out in the tougher fights. I don't think I could handle Classic Mode though (perma death) because untimely enemy critical hits get to me. Hard. The only real thing I can complain about is that sometimes it thrusts you into a battle with more spots for units than you've ever had before, meaning that if you haven't rotated units you could be fighting with some under leveled guys. I didn't really like babysitting so most times they were just easy pickings for the enemy (fine by me, no perma death, hehe).

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed by the game. Story writing is fantastic, gameplay is super solid, and it's the most fun I've had beating a game in a while. Took me about 30 hours to complete this time around, but you better believe I'll be replaying it, trying out different branches of possibilities. 5 stars.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #184
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Glad you enjoyed it phoopes, I also thought it was phenomenal.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #185
Red Panda
head head bitch

Pick Up (kind of): Elder Scrolls Online Beta Testing

My friend managed to secure himself a spot on the beta roster, and for this recent one they were allowed to invite a friend. So, I found myself spending the greater part of the late afternoon and night (around 5 hours of playtime) on a skype call with him while playing the game. I don't intend to spoil anything, but I will say that the game is pretty great so far. The beta lasts until Sunday, so I intend to play it as much as I can until then. After that I'll just have to wait until April 4th!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:50 PM   #186
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Get: Bravely Default.

Haven't played yet, maybe on bus tomorrow?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #187
Red Panda
head head bitch

Put Down (Temporarily): Elder Scrolls Online Beta

Played roughly 20 hours of the game from Friday Night to Sunday afternoon. Would've liked to have played more, but of all the weekends for me to have a busy schedule, it had to be this one. Oh well, it isn't that long until the game actually comes out. As for thoughts:

Nothing plot relevant. Simple talk about character creation and overall impressions.
I really liked what I saw from the beta. If my signature and avatar are anything to judge by, my favorite of the groups was Aldmeri (High Elves, Wood Elves, Khajiit). The character personalization is fantastic, and I made sure to try out each race, both genders, and see what they looked like with different features. Very pleased. The naming system is a bit... interesting, as you really have to come up with weird names since EVERY single generic name is taken. I ended up with Searer for a Dark Elf Wizard, Ragentem for a Khajiit assassin, and Erabrus for a Redguard Tank. Would've loved to have themed a character after the lovely elf in The Arrival trailer, but I got caught up in the ones I made.

Overall I'm quite excited for the games to come out, though the price is a bit... high. 60 dollars to start up, then 15 dollars per month? It's a lot.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #188
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Put Down (For now): Battlefield 4.

I played it for several hours until I got stuck on a mission so I have put it down and will give it a shot again soon.

The mission had a tank at the very start and I have no idea how to beat it. :/
Old 03-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #189
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Get:

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
A few months back, I went around looking for a copy of this game for Gamecube, because I remember really liking it, but only found them for like $100. Then while searching I found out they were going to do a rerelease on PS3, and even better in dual audio, so I pre-ordered it. Hopefully it's a genuinely good game, and not my inexperience at the time saying it was great.

Thief
I couldn't get into the original games because they were too dated, but I did like the concept of the game, so a new (and probably horribly watered down) Thief game sounded like it could be fun. I have played a few hours into this, and I enjoy it. I don't super enjoy it, but I have more fun with it than I did with Metal Gear Solid. If there's anything I don't like, it's how the main guy always throws in cheesy lines into everything. "Looks like I'm going to have to....steal your heart away!" Also he traded his sword for a blunt object, which is just lame. "I don't kill people!"

About to get:

Atelier Escha & Logy
New Atelier game means I'm probably going to buy it. This one has two protagonists to choose from, one route focused on character interaction (female character), and one focused on story (male character). This is supposed to be a sequel to Ayesha, so it'll likely be more story based, so male route it is!

Dark Souls 2
Of course I'm going to buy this! Let's hope they don't water this down.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:24 AM   #190
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Doublepost, because that's what I do!

Put down:

Thief
At first, this game was kinda fun. Cause distractions to slip by, or lure guards to you and kill them one at a time. Sadly that wore out fast, considering how tedious sneaking around can be, when it's required to get anywhere in town. The chapters are fun and fairly well thought out, but after a while, sneaking around just gets stale.

Beat:

Dark Souls
I finally managed to finish this. I put it down in my second run, because other games kept piling up. I wasn't far from the end, so I decided to go ahead and finish it before starting II. Of course that's not without some blood vessels in my head busted open. The enemies that are considered the easiest give me the most trouble, while the badasses aren't so bad. Damn Bed of Chaos and my jumping woes. Also I enjoyed sifting through weapon lists trying to come up with ways to pimp out my character. It just sucks that some items I really wanted involved killing a character I couldn't bring myself to fight.

Get/Started:

Dark Souls II
Some of this reminds me of the US series of Whose Line is it Anyway. In the UK version, points never mattered, but it was never brought up and it was something to laugh to yourself about, but when the US series hit, they shoved it down your throats and made it a catchphrase. That's what happened to the "You're gonna die!" thing in Dark Souls. Well that's not really a big annoyance. The game itself is fun. As generic and unfun as it sounds, I made a warrior this go around. They have so many god damn weapon and armor choices it's annoying when you're another class (or atleast they did in the first one). Gameplay spoilers
Right now, I'm trying to figure out my way through the game. The knights in a higher leveled area are great for early souls. They take some getting used to though. Also this game gives you more weapon slots, more ring slots, and more item slots. Actually you can wear 4 rings, which seems kinda broken unless rings aren't as powerful in this game.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #191
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Get: Dark Souls II

My body is not ready. Also I promised some friends I wouldn't play it until we can all get together next weekend because our first experience of Dark Souls was the three of us sitting around amusing ourselves with me dying repeatedly (I took a loooooooong time to stop going after the Skeletons and Ghosts near Firelink Shrine and notice the path to Undead Burg).

I'm pretty stoked though.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #192
Mogar
Pokemon Trainer

Get: South Park: Stick of Truth

Most people I talk to about this game complain about it, or at least just mark it down as stupid humor. Personally, I'm really enjoying it so far. It's an honestly fun RPG and the South Park elements make it so much better. I especially like the fact that it plays out like an episode of South Park, which really adds to the awesome element of it.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 AM   #193
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Beat:

Dark Souls 2
This game has been beaten! Like the first one, this was fun on a bun. When I wasn't playing this game, I was thinking about what I was going to do when I would get back to playing it. I was also thinking about what I should do my next playthrough! So many playstyles seem really fun. For difficulty, I can't say. I had an easier time with this than the first one, but that just might be because I'm an easier to use class, along with the fact that I'm experienced with Dark Souls. Gameplay spoilers for those of you who want to find our for yourselves:
I think the game might actually be easier though. You can warp between any bonfire at the very beginning, which means you aren't locked in certain areas like you were in 1. There's more shortcuts, meaning if you die at a boss, you likely won't have to go very far to try again. Also rings are repairable, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but the "nullify death" ring is in this game, meaning that if you die, if you wear your ring, you don't have to go and fetch lost souls. Though you're also put in alot more gangbang situations than in the first one, and there's more bosses (though easier). For me, it's not really a negative that they made the game a bit less tedious.

I'm not sure what I want to do next. I might try helping other players with bosses, or practice PVP so I won't get my ass kicked as much.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #194
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Do not get Yoshi's New Island.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #195
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Empress View Post
Do not get Yoshi's New Island.
...that bad, huh?
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #196
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

It has yoshi, mario and eggs. Pretty much everything else was gutted.

No "bandit" minigames. No regular minigames (roulette, memory, scratch-off, etc). No items anymore (ie full eggs, +20 stars, watermelons, pow, magnifying glass, etcs).

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #197
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Looks like we're sticking with this thread another year so here I go!

Last year I got a game a month for all but 1 month which was a big up over 2012! Number beaten was down slightly. So far this year I haven't got a single game but there's about 5 I'm looking forward to so hopefully I can get unpoor in order ta get 'em at some point! In the meantime I've been revisiting/beating many games I already got which is always fun... almost always!

Beat!
Donkey Kong Jr.
- 00:03:00
Going through each level once constitutes beating it right o.o? It may not have taken long but it was fun all the same!

Super Street Fighter IV
- 00:11:00
Blew through the arcade mode on the easiest difficulty cause I am a cheater lol. Plus it was such a long while since I'd last played it I had basically forgotten how ta do anything other then basic punches & kicks. This time I went with Makoto to see what her storyline was all about. It turned out pretty silly!

Final Fantasy VII
- 16:05:15
I play through this every year ya know. Got through it pretty fast again huh? I wasn't going for a super speedy run but it kinda happened anyhow. Especially since for the first time ever I used a glitch that lets ya skip right to the Hojo fight instead of doing the whole assault on Midgar thing!

Twisted Metal 2
- 00:18:00
Still the catchiest music in the series! Sure the game looks dated but its artstyles still really strong. Antarctica is still like the coolest level ever an yes, I used god mode cheats~!

Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012
- 00:30:00
More god moding! More car combat! Lotsa neat levels, many of which are way bigger then TM2's biggest ones. But a buncha weapons fall flat an there's no character stories. Still was a good successor in any case!

Twisted Metal: Black
- 00:18:00
PS2 era cheating & vehicular battling! Dollface >>>>>> *

Brain Age: Concentration Training
- 46:45:00
It took 40 days ta get to this games end credits! Them combined with the final brain news segment kinda made me sad. My memories nowhere near being better after playing but as the professor states its a longterm thing so after many months maybe I'll be... nah I'll still be hyper and forgetful an all that stuff. Super fun game in any case! Its got more exercises & content in general the BA/BA2 combined. Most of which I really enjoy going back to!

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
- 06:28:00
I tried playing through on the normal difficulty at first but Monsoon kept wrecking me so badly I gave in to my cheater ways an restarted on easy mode >.> which was indeed pretty easy! Pretty cool game even if it does continue ta ruin Raiden's character. Liked that there were a good number of parts you could stealth even though I failed them all, but thats par for the course with me and Metal Gear games!

Devil May Cry 4
- 05:33:27
BACKTRACKING. BOSS REHASHING. DICE ROLLING. Now I remember why I never replayed this game before! I like Nero and Dante is OP and it still looks and plays very nicely but its exhausting after a point even through I was playing on the easiest difficulty. The final boss is still pretty retarded an I'm still mad we'll never see real Dante or Nero again -_-

Bayonetta
- 10:14:00
I finally gave this game a second chance (not its characters or story though, skipped every cutscene there is!) an still came out not liking it. This time around I *gasp* went through it all on normal mode. No cheating here! Was not easy nor fun at all. I got the gist of the combat an how each of the whole 5/6 regular enemy types work but its all very much bleh to me. Got 1-shotted by many a failed outta the blue QTE thingies which is crap, an the game also cheats by having the closest baddie already in an attack animation the second an "enemies appeared scene" ends. Its like wow you have a split second to realize you can move your character again an ya darn well better or you're taking a hit. This games been given more then a fair shake by me an I'm never gonna play it again. Even deleted the patch & game install data from my PS3 to make it official!

Drill Dozer
- 02:32:00
I play through this every year ya know. This was like the first time I used the games cheat codes. Level 3 drill at the start of each level? Hell yeah! Having that lets ya skip chunks of many levels an really lay into baddies/obstacles more quickly then when ya have the Level 1/2 drills in early parts of levels!

Yakuza
- 23:00:00
Been a few years since I last played this an it surely has aged since then. Abit clunky here, slow transitions there, an after 3 other Yakuza games with JP voice acting~ going back to the sole one with a dub is jarring. I like the dub but consistency would be nice for when replaying the series. The sillyness of the sidequests an funness of the battle system still makes it worth playing!

.hack//Infection
- 12:12:50
I always played through the original .hack series with the dub so this time around I did something different an went with the japanese voice setting! Other then that I didn't go for 100% completion which the only other time I did that was on my very first playthough where I didn't know nothing about anything! Which got me through it pretty quickly, well that an me employing strategy in battles moreso then I did in the past!

Phantasy Star Universe
- 18:20:01
Now I crapped on Bayonetta but never said it was a bad game. This one however? It is bad! Specifically its Story Mode which is what I played. Loved online mode and even the Extra Mode was decent fun in its day but sheesh, story modes so bad. Voice acting is mostly terrible, subtitles are often outta sync with whats being said, and the missions are overly long. Plus there are a set of "trials" each mission which are basically impossible to S rank your first time through unless ya know exactly what to do and are equipped for the task. And the only way to retry them is to reload your save... like heck I'm gonna do that no matter what the S rank prize is!

Metal Gear Solid
- 08:13:24
Easy mode x NG+! Stealth & Unlimited Ammo make things pretty easy! Except for that tank battle. I still died on it like 5 times! Tis the reason I never play MGS on normal mode cause I'd prolly never get past that thing! I still like how ya get more health and inventory space after beating a boss an dunno why no other MGS game did this. Second half of the game kinda falls apart with tons of stair climibing and backtracking but overall still a real good game.

Total Playtime: 150:43:57
Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #198
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Demoes
Rented this on a whim last night. Spending $2 on it as opposed to $30 should've been worth it... right?

Beat!
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Demoes
- 2 hours, 50 minutes, 38 seconds
I sat down an played through the story mode in one sitting. Welllll there really wasn't any story. No boss fights either. And the gameplay was very boring. Far far to much downtime sitting around scouting for baddies and waiting for them to like do their thing and make way for you. Its the opposite problem I had with Peace Walker strangely enough x.x That games rooms/screens were far to small to be interesting but this games single room/screen is far to large! Also the game was way to dark. I could hardly see shit x.x Didn't bother jumping back in to try any of the side stuff cause the gameplay was such a huge turnoff so blah. btw Big Bosses new voice was lame. He just sounded like a normal guy. Not an ageing soldier who'd fought singing robots and dudes who can command bees to form a gun >.>

Total Playtime: 153:34:35
Total Spent (2014): $2.00

Last edited by Lindz; 04-18-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #199
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Beat: Bravely Default.

Stay away if you're a busy person, this game does not respect your time. First half is great though.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #200
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
Yakuza 2
- 35 hours, 35 minutes
We JP voice acting now! Right from the start this game looks & feels alots better then the first. Less clunkyness, better story/characters, more ways ta beat the tar outta peeps~ sooo good. Just don't use the pliers heat action x_x; Theres still some annoying quirks like some missions being tied to sports mini-games and missables but what're ya gonna do. This time around there's a new game+ unlocked after beating it once which carries over a ton of stuff so trying to go for 100% on your next run is made somewhat easier... not that I've ever done or will do it x.x

Total Playtime: 189:09:35

Last edited by Lindz; 04-14-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games