UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Aliens Colonial Marines: In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream...

But on the internet, everyone will.

The game has been out for 10 days now. Every review has been relentless in their absolute disgust for this game. This game has been thrown around in development hell for almost half a decade before it was finally being developed by Gearbox Software and people praised them for finally putting it into reality.

Now that might almost sound Duke Nukem-ish. A game which everyone wanted to be perfect but never came out and then finally got their miracle worker to come in and save it.

No. The game had a demo to show off it's amazing work in 2011 as opposed to the absolute nothing about Duke Nukem Forever for over who knows how long, going into hiding, and then appearing out of nowhere.

BORKED
Link here.

That demo looks gorgeous. What the fuck happened?

On top of the terrible graphics, the game is horrifically bad in so many other ways. The AI is bad. The multiplayer, which is a rip-off of Left4Dead is highly unbalanced (the spitter xenomorphs will always win the game at any bottleneck). Glitches that wipe your save file.

You know what's also sickening? The game was a top seller PURELY because of A) Review Embargos stopped people from knowing how terrible the game was until the it came out and B) Pre-Order sales were through the roof!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Aww. I was thinking of getting this but if it's really that bad then I'll probably give it a miss.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Internet scuttlebutt is that Gearbox might have Silicon Knighted Sega on this one, since they apparently had no issues finishing Borderlands 2 and Duke Nukem Forever. On the other hand the project took 6 years to get to market so maybe the entire thing was just a clusterfuck to begin with.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

Relevant:

Anyway, I'm tempted to rent the game and play it simply because of the horrid reviews.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I was under the impression that Gearbox had contracted the game out to another studio to finish it, while they finished up Borderlands 2?
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

Randy's in trooooooooooooouuuuuuubbbbbbbbbbbbbllllllllleeeeee
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

A movie license game is crap?

SHOCKING NEWS!

ALART THE PRESSES!

I reaaaaally don't get all the fuss over this. Replace "Aliens" in the title with any other tv/movie name an no one would bat an eye. In fact most gamers would be like "lol another shit cash-in" O.o
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Loki

That's not entirely true, but when it's a random movie just putting out a game, yeah. Iron Man the movie the game was bad. But the fact that a demo was shown in 2011 which was looking extremely good gave us all hope. A game made by a well known development company that has been known to make quality games adds to it. Not some random shit company.

Look at this demo from 2011:
BORKED

Add the video from my opening post and you should see the game doesn't look the same. Also, this whole scene isn't even in the game. Yet it was used to show off how good this game is and why everyone should be excited for it.

The problem isn't that the shit game turned out to be shit. It was a gorgeous game that somehow turned into absolute shit on release. And no one could know about it until after they bought and played it. It's is basically false advertising. It's terrible practices like review embargoes, pre-order bonuses, and companies willingly releasing games they know are shit just to bank out on people.

It would be as if SquareEnix showed off a remake of Final Fantasy 7 with FF13 graphics only to come out with FF7 with graphics from 1990.

Last edited by Loki; 02-26-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just watched both YouTube videos, and from what I saw, I think I would divide the fans' criticisms up into two categories: those that are personal opinions about aesthetics, and then those that are objective facts.

For aesthetic opinions, we have things like which game's color palette looks better, which game "feels" more like an Alien-franchise setting, and so on. That one hexagonal crosswalk in space that becomes separated as you're crossing it is one good example of this. The part where they look out at the planet is another. In both cases, I do agree with the critics, don't get me wrong, but I'm just saying: I don't see these as objective pieces of evidence that the final product is worse than the original.

For the objective facts, however, the case becomes much more damning for the game developers. First and foremost in my mind among these criticisms was the presence of dynamic lighting in the demo and its complete absence from the final product. Say what you want about dynamic lighting also being an aesthetic preference, but not only does the demo's lighting look more like an Aliens movie to me, it features a technology that is mysteriously absent from the final game. And it's not like it only showed up once or twice in the demo. There were just so many examples of light sources being unique light sources in the demo that, if you were to swing them around, they honest-to-god projected lights and shadows in the room differently now, and they matched up 1:1 with real life. Whereas in the final game, all of those light sources have suddenly vanished and we have a generic "invisible light above and behind your head" light source typical of so many science-fiction FPSes. Another startling problem is the creature textures. Note: not their aesthetics, but their polygon count. Aesthetic concerns, yes, but steeped in provable and objective facts. You look at the aliens' faces up close in the final game and they do, admittedly, look kind of N64-ish at times, which is quite shocking. You look at them in the demo and, while I wouldn't say they're 1:1 realistic or anything, they certainly look like fairly typical XBox 360-generation graphics.

I dunno. It's very strange. If the finished game lined up with the demo's visuals and physics engine but it was still crap because of other factors the demo didn't reveal, factors like game-breaking glitches in later stages or really shitty gameplay or really bad level design or whatever, then I'd say it's business as usual in the game world. ^_^; But the fact that the finished product really does look like a step down -- several steps down, actually -- from the demo game is just ... very strange. Like the guys in Loki's first video said, it's pretty much proof of one of either two things, either of which is hugely unethical and perhaps even liable to get this studio into legal trouble. They either:

1) advertised a mock demo as exhibiting real gameplay when it was in fact nothing more than a pre-rendered bit of gameplay which had been touched up by the team's graphics department to make it look spiffier than actual gameplay footage would've appeared; or

2) advertised a sincere demo of a real game, but then when they regressed the game's features (because, iirc, this project was canceled and then later resurrected, presumably with a new team at the helm), they didn't tell any of the fans about it, and instead allowed them to mistakenly believe that Team #2's game would look just as good as if not better than Team #1's game.

In the case of it being the first scenario, that's an egregiously unethical business practice and I'm pretty sure it's bonafide fraud that could land them in hot legal water. In the case of it being the second scenario, I dunno that any laws were broken, but it's certainly just as unethical, a huge breech of consumers' trust and confidence, and the consequences for it are going to be a whole lot of gamers who will never, ever again buy a single game by this development team. Neither is good, so you have to wonder just what the hell was going through the head honchos' heads when they okayed this. "Let's regress the game's graphical features but not tell anybody about it!" Yeah, because it's better to lose initial sales than to lose customers for life and face possible litigation for fraud.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #10
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

What's the old disclaimer demo's use?

"Demo may not be indicative of final product"

Something like that I think? Well there ya go. No one forced people to preorder much less buy the game instead of waiting until reviews came in. Thrusting that fancy demo at the press til the bitter end may be shady but c'mon. Its gaming press. Previews are almost always gonna be positive regardless. Its only when they're allowed to release reviews will they get their shots in if warranted (oops! this games not as good as we were paid to hype it up to be!). People that bought into it oughta at least be alil mad at themselves instead of just the companies involved.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Loki

Imagine if you will, Shenmue 3 is coming out. SEGA announces it. You wait years with little news after that single announcement. Four years later, a demo is released. It shows you playing at Ryo. It takes place in China. Combat looks great. Graphics look good. Ryo is still working to find the two mirrors and stop Lan Di. SEGA shows it off at E3.

Just as suddenly as it reappeared, it disappears. More years pass. No word on it. three years later, it shows up. SEGA announces a new multiplayer mode. It looks nice. Everything they show is pretty short, but it all looks about right.

Release day. The day you've been waiting for. Shenmue 3 is finally within sight. If you pre-order from a retailer, you get a bonus outfit for Ryo and Shenhua that gives them some kind of bonus. There are no early reviews. SEGA has put up a review embargo until the game comes out, but all the pre-release advertising is very promising.

The game comes out. You play it right away. Turns out, Shenmue 3 is a shooter. If you play in 2 player mode, player 1 is Ryo and 2 is Shenhua. The graphics look archaic, nothing like what is shown at E3 all those years ago. The lighting is poor. When you look down, you see yourself floating over Ryo's shadow. Shenhua has no shadow for no reason. The gameplay is weak. It's all about shooting knees and then some random kung fu moves. The characters have been dumbed down. Shenhua talks about how much she loves the mall and how she will marry a rich guy once all this is over.

The plot is nonsensical. Lan Di used the Dragon Mirror to turn Hong Kong into a city of zombies. He travels across China terrorizing the people with undead hordes and demonic beasts. Ryo follows his warpath and eventually finds and battles Lan Di. Before he's defeated, Lan Di reveals that he's actually part alien. Apparently, aliens came to China in ancient times and crossbred. Humans with alien heritage can use magic, like raising the dead and summoning demons. Lan Di reveals that Ryo is also an alien crossbreed. Their battle is epic with CINEMATIC QUICK TIME ACTIONS and in the end, Ryo uses the Seven Star Sword to kill Lan Di. Unfortunately, it was Lan Di's plan from the start. The Sword is activated by the blood of aliens and ends up opening a portal. The aliens pour through and begin their invasion. The end.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm sure someone out there thinks your nightmare Shenmue 3 sounds amazing , but yeah, that makes it really easy to appreciate why the project's biggest fans feel so betrayed, not just let down but downright lied to.

That stated, last night I watched a guy play the game on YouTube. Not all of it, but the first 45 minutes or so. Here's what I noticed/felt:

1 - the graphics were 40% XBox 360 era, 45% XBox era, and 5% N64 era. Those 5% bits are completely unacceptable, but they are "only" 5% of the game. They're not, like, 30% of the game or something. The XBox-level graphics are a different issue. IMO, they're acceptable (if quite subpar for 2013) and, quite frankly, are what I would expect out of Gearbox, never mind a tiny no-name team working under Gearbox, and their work on a movie cash-in title. I mean ... compare these graphics to Telltale Games' Back to the Future series. Or compare them to the Ackroyd-Ramis-backed Ghostbusters game. Those games were also XBox 360 gen and their graphics were about the same (Ghostbusters) or far worse (BttF) than this game's.

2 - The gameplay is very uninspired. Take away the Aliens skin and this is just a very generic shooter. Incredibly linear -- we're talking Halo 1 Level 5 degree of linearity -- with visuals and gameplay that just can't be told apart from any run-of-the-mill shooter set on a military spaceship or planetside base.

3 - The story is almost IMPOSSIBLE to follow while playing. All I got out of it was:
  • A spaceship from one of the movies vanished but then reappeared years later and no one knows why.
  • The marines were ordered to go fetch the ship's recorder logs.
  • When it becomes clear that the ship is infested with aliens, the upper brass aborts the mission and orders all able-bodied marines back to their own ship.
  • But our hero and a few NPCs ignore their orders, determined to get those logs and "find out the truth" (whaaaaa?).
  • Too bad the guy with the logs dies and his body goes tumbling out into space. >_>
  • Marines are ordered to return to main hall of ship or some such.
  • NPC O'Neal says "Something ain't right" and you follow his lead into the ship's crawlspace.
  • NPC Bella (O'Neal's old flame he still hasn't gotten over) radios in to them. She woke up with a facehugger over her face. "But I'm fine." Oh sure you are.
  • "We have to go find Bella!"
  • SUDDENLY HUMANS IN RED START FIRING AT US.
  • Something about Wey-Ru (???????? I have no idea). Not sure if they're mercenaries or an army for another space nation or "men in black" or what. No fucking clue. Only certain things are that they're human and they're exterminating any marines they encounter.
  • We find Bella.
  • We find some research lab on the ship? Its logs are dated ... from the past yet somehow indicate that their creator must've come from the future? I got very lost here. Maybe they're making references to the movies.
  • And we find X-ray films that ... make O'Neal and Bella freak out? They looked pretty human to me so my only guess is that they were maybe supposed to indicate human-alien hybrids or something?
And that's about it. If this is all correct, then massive kudos to me for following all of it because FUCK if its delivery isn't confusing and frenetic. So much of the talking happens when you're in the middle of trying to do something and can't pay attention to NPCs talking. If any of what I wrote above is wrong, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

4 - the sound the machine gun makes really bothered the guy who was playing. I thought it sounded different than normal but not necessarily bad, just unusual. A few commenters claim that it's movie-faithful. *shrug* The thing is, the machine gun is what you'll be using 90% of the time, so if you don't like the sound it makes, that's probably going to lessen your experience with the game as a whole.

All of this stated, the guy I watched play the game seemed to really enjoy himself. He predicted IGN would rate the game a 6.5/10 (he was playing a few days before the game went on sale, or so he kept repeating), and while to me a 6.5 sounds like the sort of score you wouldn't come up with for a game you enjoyed playing, I think he was just giving a very honest verdict of the game's strengths and weaknesses. To him, it was a very average experience in terms of graphics and gameplay and level design (hence why he thought IGN would give it a 6.5), but because of the superficial Aliens theme to the enemies, storyline, and scenery, he was having a blast. For him, it being an Aliens game is what really sold it. And I think that's interesting to note since so much of the criticism online has been steeped in this rhetoric that the game betrayed the franchise's biggest fans. That stated ... he was something of an outsider. ^^; Had seen 1 and 3 but not 2. Described himself as "more of a Predator fan than an Aliens fan." So yeah, there's that. Still. He seemed to quite enjoy it while at the same time freely admitting it wasn't a 9/10 or 10/10 experience. I'd liken it to a guy who was hungry for McDonald's: he knows it ain't steak, but by golly if he ain't enjoyin' it all the same.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Loki

Oh yeah. If that actually happens to Shenmue 3, you guys can totally bitch at me.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Ahahahaha.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

His final comment is one that I agree with, though again, I'm a fellow outsider and not a big Aliens franchise fan, so like, maybe the hardcore fans see it differently than we do. The way I see it ...
  • Alien: amazing science fiction horror film. Everyone should see this. It's just too bad it's such a pop culture icon that ~everyone's been spoiled on so much of the film's twists and surprises already.
  • Aliens: forced sequel cashing in on the popularity of the first film; never seen more than a few random bits on FOX when I had schoolwork to be doing instead ... which I then went and did because the film didn't look all that good. ^^; (Maybe it is? I dunno.)
  • Alien 3: terribly forced sequel cashing in on the popularity of the preceding two films; all I remember of this film, which I have seen in full or near-full, is the very end where:
    Spoiler: show
    Ripley goes diving into molten lava or something along with an alien fetus? A fetus that, iirc, she mothered?

Yeah, see, I'm not even sure I remember that. Oh, but there is at least one another thing I remember about the film: bad.
  • Alien Resurrection: never saw it, or anything from here on forward.
So like a lot of people, I quite liked the first one, felt the Sellout Ship set sail as early as Aliens (Alien 2), and definitely believe it was bon voyage with Alien 3.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Loki

Actually, Aliens is seen as the most popular film despite Alien being a horror film and Aliens being an action film. Aliens expanded the whole universe and expanded on the whole space marine sci-fi concept since Starship Troopers (the book, not that terrible movie) and is referenced to by new films and games ever since.

Hell, HALO is practically a rip off of Aliens. The big African cigar smoking commander. The dropships. Rifle with a digital counter on it. Main characters being put into cryo-sleep at the end of the title. Endless lines taken straight from the movie.

Honestly though, I don't care that it's an Aliens game. Even if it was Spongebob or Starcraft, the overall business practices and lack of ethics which had the companies involved to push out such a terrible game and bank out on the lack of reviews prior to purchase, the incentives to pre-order with stupid bonuses, and a game which is absolute horseshit by every standard from graphics, enemy AI, gameplay, and storytelling is what bothers me the most. The fact that it was advertised as a triple A product and came out as something which barely runs and sold in the millions bothers me. And what's worse is that is can happen again just as easily.

No one knows what the new Tomb Raider will be like, but currently on STEAM they have a tiered Pre-Order bonus system. If X number of people pre-order the game, you get more stuff. Pay now on a game you know nothing about aside from possible false advertised pre-release demos at E3! Buy it now, months before release and you can get this $3 game! Pre-order 100,000 copies and get extra free Day 1 DLC Tomb pack something (which is also bullshit). Pre-order 1,000,000 copies and get the Shanty Town maps! (again, Day 1 DLC bs) NOTE: All my numbers were made up, they took off the numbers once the tier was reached so I don't know what they were, but they were pretty big.

So basically, nothing is stopping the industry from doing this again. The entire bait-and-switch can happen again with any title. With review embargoes being done on every game prior to release and stupid pre-order bonuses that basically tricks gamers into buying a possibly terrible product for a tiny bonus. We can't even trust companies who have had good reputations in the past with excellent titles being made or demos shown at trade shows.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
His final comment is one that I agree with, though again, I'm a fellow outsider and not a big Aliens franchise fan, so like, maybe the hardcore fans see it differently than we do. The way I see it ...
[list][*]Alien: amazing science fiction horror film. Everyone should see this. It's just too bad it's such a pop culture icon that ~everyone's been spoiled on so much of the film's twists and surprises already.
Ha, I somehow have never seen Alien and have no idea what happens in it. Other than

Spoiler: show
aliens busting out of people's stomachs? Is that even a spoiler?

maybe I should check it out? The only problem is, I'm a scaredy cat and don't do well with horror! I played the Resident Evil remake for Gamecube and was scared shitless throughout the whole thing, I had to play with the volume turned down super low (Jill's ass was slightly comforting). You know what someone once told me? He said you should watch horror movies with girls, because they'll get scared and cling onto you. But that's not true at all! Girls just think horror movies are funny. If I did that, I'd be the one clinging on to them, how embarrassing would that be! Any manliness I had built up to that point would go straight out the window.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

Girls will only cling onto you if they want to cling on to you. If your just friends with no prior flirty history, just met or have average to less than average looks/charm, no clinging is going to happen. Either way, I feel that watching horror movies with other people is generally more enjoyable and less scary than without. I saw some horror movies with my friends that I never otherwise would have alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Actually, Aliens is seen as the most popular film despite Alien being a horror film and Aliens being an action film. Aliens expanded the whole universe and expanded on the whole space marine sci-fi concept since Starship Troopers (the book, not that terrible movie) and is referenced to by new films and games ever since.

Hell, HALO is practically a rip off of Aliens. The big African cigar smoking commander. The dropships. Rifle with a digital counter on it. Main characters being put into cryo-sleep at the end of the title. Endless lines taken straight from the movie.

Honestly though, I don't care that it's an Aliens game. Even if it was Spongebob or Starcraft, the overall business practices and lack of ethics which had the companies involved to push out such a terrible game and bank out on the lack of reviews prior to purchase, the incentives to pre-order with stupid bonuses, and a game which is absolute horseshit by every standard from graphics, enemy AI, gameplay, and storytelling is what bothers me the most. The fact that it was advertised as a triple A product and came out as something which barely runs and sold in the millions bothers me. And what's worse is that is can happen again just as easily.

No one knows what the new Tomb Raider will be like, but currently on STEAM they have a tiered Pre-Order bonus system. If X number of people pre-order the game, you get more stuff. Pay now on a game you know nothing about aside from possible false advertised pre-release demos at E3! Buy it now, months before release and you can get this $3 game! Pre-order 100,000 copies and get extra free Day 1 DLC Tomb pack something (which is also bullshit). Pre-order 1,000,000 copies and get the Shanty Town maps! (again, Day 1 DLC bs) NOTE: All my numbers were made up, they took off the numbers once the tier was reached so I don't know what they were, but they were pretty big.

So basically, nothing is stopping the industry from doing this again. The entire bait-and-switch can happen again with any title. With review embargoes being done on every game prior to release and stupid pre-order bonuses that basically tricks gamers into buying a possibly terrible product for a tiny bonus. We can't even trust companies who have had good reputations in the past with excellent titles being made or demos shown at trade shows.

You watched Total Biscuits video on preorders too eh? I agree with it entirely. Current day business practices encourage impulsiveness so no forethought goes into a lot of game buying. Once people wake up (insert snarky I'm the only awaken person in a land of sleeping sheep and will only ever be comment down below) and learn some patience to see if the game they want will be worth their time and money, the industry will become a better place since they can't just push worthless skins, pay 2 win bonuses or bait and switch.

Last edited by Kori Gotcha; 02-28-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Kori Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games