UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 11-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #126
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

In more fun news Mark Hamill's returning to voice Joker in The Killing Joke next year, which could be rated R.
My body is ready.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #127
Talon87
時の彼方へ

On the one hand, Mark Hamill Joker. On the other hand, subject matter too twisted for Mark Hamill Joker? I always felt like Mark's Joker was a happy medium between the dopey Joker of the 1960s comics and the edgy-dark Joker of the 1980s comics. Part of being a happy medium is, you're not quite there for either pole's performance. And that's the thing: if you're gonna be doing The Killing Joke, then wouldn't you need a more Nicholson (at worst/dopiest) or Ledger Joker?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #128
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
On the one hand, Mark Hamill Joker. On the other hand, subject matter too twisted for Mark Hamill Joker? I always felt like Mark's Joker was a happy medium between the dopey Joker of the 1960s comics and the edgy-dark Joker of the 1980s comics. Part of being a happy medium is, you're not quite there for either pole's performance. And that's the thing: if you're gonna be doing The Killing Joke, then wouldn't you need a more Nicholson (at worst/dopiest) or Ledger Joker?
Mark Hamill voiced Joker in the Batman: Arkham games, which were pretty dark. I know he did say he was uncomfortable voicing Joker after RotJ, but then in Arkham Knight Joker keeps Jason captive and tortures him for over 6 months so idk. (Maybe it helps that he got his own musical number. *shot*) Plus he has also stated that he would gladly come out of retirement if The Killing Joke was ever animated.

Frankly the more I fall for Hamill's Joker the less I am a fan of Ledger's. The terrifying thing about Joker to me is that he takes nothing seriously, and Heath Ledger's Joker is just a little bit too serious for my taste.

lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 AM   #129
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
In more fun news Mark Hamill's returning to voice Joker in The Killing Joke next year, which could be rated R.
what the-

yes please

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #130
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Joker has a hidden capacity for monstrosity, as demonstrated in Return of the Joker. I don't think anything is too dark for him since he can put a smile on any situation.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #131
Mercutio
Banned

Oh Hamill can definitely do it.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #132
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

>Batman Beyond 2.0 #16

>focuses entirely on DickBabs

>flashback sequence to Dick showing up at Barbara's wedding to give her the Batarang

>present day old Dick and Babs meeting at a diner and giving each other the fake-smile routine (bonus Melanie cameo)

>another flashback to Nightwing explaining his proposal plan to Flash

>says it's an "important" Batarang

>flashback to Robin giving Batgirl the Batarang for the first time???

>goes hunting for Batgirl's first appearance in the animated series to check

>bingo

"Miss me?"

*wishes she could find a gif/YT clip here because the way Batgirl's face freakin' lights up when she sees Robin is okay after he and Batman got swept away by water*

Oh, and incidentally in The Lost Years it's revealed Tim found his Batarang after watching the fight between Batman and Robin with Joker before Dick quit (he's seriously a total stalker fanboy).

God the Batarang is like this series' red scarf I just can't

P.S. Dick's dead eyes in the top panel kill me

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 11-22-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #133
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

*finally rewatches "The Big Leagues" Static Shock crossover with Batman and Robin to refresh memory before writing another fic*

>Joker comes to Dakota to recruit Bang Babies for his new gang and again treats them like his kids

Quote:
"Call me 'Uncle J'! Everyone does."
stop

>captures Batman and Robin and sets up camera to record their demise

stoooooooop

>Robin casually makes a lame "batting average" joke as they're about to be pulverized

...i can't even

and then at the end he randomly has a hand on Static and they fistbump omg should i ship do i ship hrghgjrhgkj

God these crossover eps get me even more than the original series. Static being just as awed to meet the Boy Wonder, who totally schools him in detective work but lets him tag along and acts nice and cheerful in Batman's stead, just... Ugh.

"Knight Time" with Superman still remains one of my favorite episodes tbh. The fact Tim is usually the one saving Bruce's ass (especially from mind-control) despite his age just makes the failure to return the favor all the more poignant. (There's also a disturbing irony I noticed where Tim is grossed out at the thought of being controlled by microscopic machinery and his own voice being imitated...)

As an aside, while I haven't bothered to fully read the comic adaptation of RotJ (since the formatting honestly looks pretty bad/rushed - they hardly even show the fact the straightjacket looks like Robin *shot*), a sad change I saw from scans is that rather being mute, JJ is constantly mumbling "no, no" between giggles... Also there's a close-up of him being tortured and you can clearly see tears in his eyes. T_T *hugs the poor baby bird*

Oh, I also finally saw the Sewer King ep (eyy more child abuse and Peter Pan references *shot*) and Two-Face's origin story. Poor Harvey... And Bruce beating himself up over being unable to help his friend... "Why couldn't you save me?" ;;

On another random (non-DCAU) note: Batman: Turning Points has everything I wanted in a Batman-Gordon relationship retrospective hnnng. I love finding these little gems that reinforce my headcanons. <3

Also sompletely unrelated to Batman: I kinda wonder what Hotstreak's deal is. There have been hints at backstory such as him having a bad experience with hospitals in the past, and the above ep has him mention loud noises get on his nerves, even going so far as to blatantly state "I have issues" when Kangor calls him out on everything getting on his nerves. Wish he could've had more development, but then the finale had him fuse with Ebon so... *shrug*

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 12-30-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #134
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

In case anyone wants to hear the full version of "Am I Blue?".

(Batman singing "All Of Me" weirds me out man. Even though it doesn't really sound like his animated voice.)

Man there are a lot of films coming out this year... Trailer for Justice League vs. Teen Titans was released a couple days ago. Idk about Damian being a Titan (and such a smug OP bitch he can apparently take on Superman) but if Tim can have his turn then eh why not.

*still wants to know what happened with the DCAU version of the Titans*

Edit- And apparently Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy are returning to voice Joker and Batman in a new JLA series. Go figure.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 02-11-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #135
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Got Paul Dini's signature at SDCC!

His panel was... different than what I expected. He talked about his new autobiographical comic, and it was a heavy sobering experience to hear about. I almost teared up a little during it.

Spoiler: show
He basically talked about how he was traumatized by a mugging, and the fictional heroes/characters he once looked up/worked with then became almost imaginary monsters to him. He even became depressed to the point of cutting himself. I kinda almost wonder if it factored into his writing of RotJ in that regard... He admitted that being in an abusive relationship influenced his creation of Harley Quinn. In the end it was meeting his wife Misty who supported him and convinced him to come out with the full story. Aw.

Still sad I'm missing TKJ tonight. Went to a panel discussing the Joker yesterday as well and it just made me want to see it more. *rolls*
Old 07-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #136
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

So while I didn't get to see TKJ at CC, apparently it was leaked online and I heard a big spoiler. ...It's, uh, definitely rated R for a reason, but not the one you would think:

There is a graphic sex scene between Bruce and Barbara.

...Yup. They went there. (Again.)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #137
Mercutio
Banned

It's not graphic.

It makes sense within the narrative, both in the microcosm of the film and the macrocosm of that canon. I think you can argue it's gratuitous and plays into the idea that Batgirl is a pining teenager but I thought it worked.

EDIT: It would appear that every revieweron the planet disagrees.

I saw this at the cinema just now (so many nerds!) and it is fab. Very good. Well adapted, good to have those voices, very faithful. Being quite faithful, the pacing doesn't quite work all the time, but it's worth watching.

Last edited by Mercutio; 07-25-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #138
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Yeah I caved and watched a clip of the scene in question and it's certainly not as squick as I was led to believe, but still seemed out of place. I'll wait until my friend and I can watch it together before I judge the whole thing.

On another note I tried a virtual reality game of BTAS that's coming out in fall. I'd heard about it but didn't realize it was being developed into an actual playable feature with story content. It was pretty cool, especially seeing the opening theme sequence in 3D and hearing Conroy's voice talk to you like his partner. Apparently Robin and Batgirl will be in it too. Got to explore the Batcave and fly the Batplane, although since there aren't really controls it's more of a cinematic experience.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 07-25-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #139
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm just going to let this speak for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmodo
"In that opening, we meet Barbara Gordon as a young librarian who has started donning the Batgirl costume in order to attract the attention of Batman—not just in crime-fighting prowess, but sexually, telling co-workers that she has “a man in her life” (throughout, Batman is apparently portrayed as emotionally distant from Barbara)."

It was during the Q&A that things got dicey. A Joker cosplayer asked the writers why they would downplay Barbara Gordon, such a strong female character, and make her story more about the men in her life. According to Bleeding Cool reporter Jeremy Konrad, the writers insisted she was still a strong female character. Konrad, who’d already seen the film and didn’t agree, himself sarcastically shouted, “Yeah, by using sex and then pining for Bruce.”

That’s when co-screenwriter Brian Azzarello seemed to put it all out there. “Wanna say that again? Pussy?” he asked.
Source (yes it's fucking Gawker but they are actually right for a change)
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:25 AM   #140
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think if Azzarello had sad nothing, and the panel went diplomatic, the obnoxious reporter would have been the one grilled from this incident.

Nerds hate the idea that sexual empowerment is also the characteristic of a strong female lead. I think Bruce Timm gets, but his audience is too stunted to admit. Fanboys would prefer one of the Disney Princess tomboys to a Sex in the City archetype 11/10 times.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #141
deoxys
Fog Badge

:/

Minor spoilers ahead, not going to spoiler box because at this point, we all know about that topic at hand, mostly, also I think it's counterproductive to this particular discussion....

Sexual empowerment doesn't work for 100% of female characters, especially when they have an established personality that it doesn't make sense to be apart of or work with.

Example of strong female characters who use sexual empowerment as a strong character trait: Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Catwoman (non-Batman characters: Widowmaker from Overwatch, Miss Fortune from LoL, Black Cat from Spider-Man, etc.)

The reasons Barbara Gordon became Batgirl, according to The Killing Joke Movie, are just totally conflicting with an already established character history. Bruce Wayne's handling of the situation also goes against that grain as well.

It's out of place and awkward, it doesn't fit the characters or the story. It looks like you're forcing sex into a situation that it doesn't need to be in. It's far more likely it was used solely to be sexy and controversial and get people talking, though Barbara's character in this situation just doesn't make much sense when you consider her rationale for becoming Batgirl.

It's bad writing, I'm sorry. That's all. It wasn't even part of the original Killing Joke story, it was hamfisted in.

The only counterargument I've seen so far is what Barbara told Terry in Batman Beyond about her relationship with Bruce.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:14 AM   #142
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

VGM, that's the same fanboy argument I've been hearing a lot. People are just upset that their morals were offended by Timm, because they're ignoring that the only real continuity involving Batgirl is that Barbara Gordon is Batgirl.

Why is it Batman and Joker can have multiple origins stories, largely different, but if you deviate from Batgirl in any way that isn't seen through the modern lens of social progress, it's bad.

Nevermind that Bruce Timm has set a precedent in this, with Barbara hooking up with Bruce in TAS.

You could make a credible argument that the twist was poorly written, and forced on the viewer, but going for arguments like

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys
Sexual empowerment doesn't work for 100% of female characters, especially when they have an established personality that it doesn't make sense to be apart of or work with.
has already betrayed your motives.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #143
deoxys
Fog Badge

My motives? What on earth is that supposed to mean?

Quote:
Why is it Batman and Joker can have multiple origins stories, largely different, but if you deviate from Batgirl in any way that isn't seen through the modern lens of social progress, it's bad.
Because that's not what happened in The Killing Joke, a story that already had precedent? And also you're comparing origin stories to romantic relationships that have little to no storytelling reason - or at least no good storytelling reason - for being a thing. What I mean is: You want to make a relationship happen between to characters? Then build it up, utilize good character development to get them to that point, make it feel natural; If you fail to immerse your consumer into the narrative/story, if they detect unnatural/out of character elements, things that are seemingly random or feel two dimensional or fake/forced - then I am absolutely going to call them out on it, whether it is an origin story or a relationship. Hell, if this had happened with Barbara and Bruce, as freakin' odd as it may be, if it was well executed then perhaps it is something that could have been far more accepting among the consumers.

I'm not a fanboy, if my lack of posting in this thread overall didn't make that obvious enough. But I call bullshit like I see it - and this is bullshit. It feels like, if anything, Bruce Timm ships Barbara and Bruce Wayne and likes to make it a thing he can push when he has reigns of the story. I mean, maybe not, but you know, that's kind of the takeaway, especially when modifying an already canonized story that forces Batgirl to lean all of her independence as a person... on the men in her life.

I'm not trying to sit here and push "SJW bullshit", which is what I'm assuming you think I am probably doing, I'm just telling it like it is. If you want to do something, then do it right.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #144
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Finally saw TKJ with my friend over the weekend.

...Can I just say the best thing to come out of the film is Babs' fabulous gay guy friend. =3=

(Seriously can we just have a movie about him. He was the most interesting character in the whole thing. *shot*)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #145
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Double-post but just came across this:

BORKED
Old 10-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #146
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I didn't laugh, but I was impressed that the lyrics actually took little to nothing away from the scene! That opening was powerful enough that you couldn't downplay it even when trying.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #147
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

BORKED

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment