UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #101
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Code Geass

. . .

I feel incredibly dim-witted for not having realized sooner that the chess metaphor carried over to the main cast. I think you've mentioned it before in your writings, too, and it's just never sunk in until now. Wow. :x
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #102
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

The first part of episode six was like oh god what, another Sunrise twist.

Then I was all, FUDGE YEAH!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #103
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Still haven't seen 5. Your mood seems to be changing towards the show from angrily pessimistic (4) to quite pleased (6), so I might pick it up again once Ep10 airs instead of Ep15. We'll see.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #104
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I feel I was a bit pre-emptive with that post, as a few minutes later at 7:19 into Geass 6, reared the biggest twist in the entire series. I think it just spoiled 10% of the entire series mystery.

WARNING! POTENTIALLY SERIES-RUINING SPOILER HERE
Charles di Britannia calls V.V. his older brother. This implies he is Lelouch's uncle and is probably THE Britannian royal who interfered with the American Revolution, thus leading to Britannia become the super-power it is today.

On skipping - I think you were in the right to delay things until episode 10 or so, this current stretch would be murder week-by-week.

EDIT:

Except for the moronic same-old-same-old Lelouch moments from season I (gosh), this episode was AMAZING! Even with the ridiculous flaws, 10/10! In one episode I watched the Guren-Nishiki digivolve into GURREN-LAGANN! Watching the show without sound, I didn't hear Sunrise's theme but when GN "rose from the ashes" as it were GL's fanfare started playing in my head.

GOD IT WAS GLORIOUS! Dramatically perfect! Do I detect the faint touch of tears in my eyes? ;_;

EDIT II:

Re-watched the episode with sound and better colour; it's not as great as I originally said without sound (the music was ill-placed, less focus on the action with sound/music) but still a good episode, 8/10 considering the flaws and liberalities.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #105
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've mentioned this before, but Geass II seems to follow parallels with Geass I, right down to the plot scenarios with a twist. Comparison chart (spoiled in case it just might be a small spoiler):

[center:2mq1jdan]Geass II | Geass I
Episode 1 / Episode 1
Episode 2 / Episode 4, 2
Episode 3 / Episode 3, 15
Episode 4 / Episode 4, 17
Episode 5 / Episode 21
Episode 6 / Episode 8, 11, 21[/center:2mq1jdan]

Episode 7 appears to be the equivalent of Episode 9 in Geass I. From the two spoilers dropped, it won't advance the overall plot much but it's like detonating a nuclear weapon as far as character-character development is going to go.

I'm very eager for Episode 7, despite initial skepticism of it going to suck. As long as we don't get another Episode 3 I think I'll walk away content.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #106
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wow, something actually happened.

Is this a dream? o_O
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #107
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Still holding out! XD Still quit watching at Episode 4! Still waiting to see 5, 6, and now 7!

Given your excitement, I'll probably tune in at 10. But if I can hold out till 15, all the better.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #108
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Given your excitement, I'll probably tune in at 10. But if I can hold out till 15, all the better.
Well, I'm seeing people all over the internet simply tear into this episode, but I really liked it because it clearly defined all of the Lelouch conflicts spread out over the first season into a single episode, and made some progression in the actual story. If everything goes Just as Planned, Geass II might finally stop being a rehash of Geass I.

Kallen had a comic relief moment, here. I actually smiled at it.

Kallen: "I'll do anything you tell me! Pilot a Knightmare, be bait...anything!"
Lelouch: "Then...comfort me. In a way that only a woman can".
Kallen: "...stop!"
*slap*

I'm a bit confused on Lelouch's mentality, though, given the previews. I don't understand what conclusion he's arrived at that suddenly brought back his morale.

I was also a bit disappointed because It seems nobody remembers Nunally vi Britannia was the daughter of the assassinated empress Marianne vi Britannia. There was no reaction anywhere from anyone; not Todou, not Kallen, nor Lelouch. Nothing of the vi Britannia royal heritage was actually brought up, which makes me wonder.

Unfortunately, I feel Lelouch's battles aren't as interesting to me before as they once were. When I frst saw the battle in this episode, it was still exciting but on the second watch, it was 80% less appealing, because all of Lelouch's battles can be summarized as:

1. Britannians have offensive.
2. Japanese are getting owned.
3. Zero appears, gives paradoxical orders.
4. Japanese follow through, Britannians get over-confident.
5. Zero takes advantage of the terrain somehow and wipes out the entire Britannian force.
6. People go, "impossible!"
7. Enter the hax machines.

#5 was true for three out of six battles in Geass I (Battle of Shinjuku, Battle of Narita, Black Rebellion) and for three out of four in Geass II (Battle of Babel Tower, Battle of Tokyo Embassy, Battle of Tokyo Dock).

Why don't I find these battles interesting? Aside from the same formula, the whole "stormtrooper effect" is really taking its toll; there are tons of Britannian military units destroyed, their numbers never end, yet Lelouch never makes a serious dent in their war machine. Gurren-Lagann was far worse in that billions of enemies could be destroyed on screen and yet no one would care, but Geass has started to stumble in this regard as well.

As of right now, I still think you've got the right idea to wait, because Geass is currently in an "arc" and it probably won't end until the end of ten or so.

My rankings for Geass II's episodes:

Episode 1 - 7/10
Episode 2 - 9/10
Episode 3 - 6/10
Episode 4 - 4/10
Episode 5 - 7/10
Episode 6 - 10/10 (8/10)
Episode 7 - 7/10

Each equivalent episode in Geass I was on average 10-20% higher than these values, and I'm not factoring in originality since these episodes have the same scenario only jumbled up a bit.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-19-2008, 02:46 AM   #109
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I just watched Eclipse's subs, after watching Chihiro first and then gg. Honestly, all the subbers messed up where the other subbers stayed strong - if all the groups pooled their efforts we'd have had a perfect sub here.

That said, now I understand Lelouch's motivation and his morale booster (Eclipse was the only one clear on this) but how Lelouch got there is still a mystery. There's still a huge leap from Zero isn't needed anymore. to Zero exists for more than just Nunally.. This is to say, I don't know how the glass metaphor was supposed to tie into Lelouch experiencing some kind of revelation.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #110
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Well, now we all know the Geass on Suzaku was a very bad idea, it seems to have given Suzaku a limited form of immortality. As if his plot-shielding wasn't bad enough!

That said.

This episode was...weird. Convoluted would be an understatement, it was very strange logic and I'm not sure where the story is heading. Rather, it looks like progress is indeed going to happen - the setting is finally "changing".

Rating...6/10. Too much of this episode was filler, there's a two week wait until the next episode, but big things have been promised.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #111
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I feel bad both for me and for you that by my not watching it you've got nobody to talk to, so I'll probably be tuning back in with 10, Doppel, instead of 15. That'll be 3 weeks from today, by which time I'll probably be ready for the six-episode splurge anyway.

Nothing's been spoilered for me except I saw fanart of the Chinese leader (I presume; the white-haired loli?), so I guess that means she's at least been shown if not downright incorporated into the plot. Which is cool, because you know I'm excited about China's role in the Geass storyline.

I've seen a higher-than-normal amount of fanart of the pink-haired KnightMare pilot, so I'm guessing she was in the spotlight for a moment or two herself. But nothing spoilerish about those images -- I already knew she existed, and the images are just fanart of her standing half-dressed looking out at the viewer. Not much different from the official art.

I'm actually sort of disappointed by the low level of postings on iichan about Code Geass. It belies the sad truth that either:

1) the show is just not that good, or
2) iichan's culture has seriously moved away from being neutral and has polarized towards shoujo and harem series. Since all they seem to be talking about is Itazura na Kiss, Shugo Chara, and Kamen no Maid Guy. Could be worse, I suppose: they could be posting about Kanokon. :x
Old 05-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #112
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

No, don't come back yet. Wait until at least 13, because a new arc is about to start in two weeks (Geass 09 was delayed because of the earthquake in China...hint hint) because this new arc is definitely "new", as in, not a parallel of the first season, not a repeat, not copypasta - fresh territory.

After thinking a bit about things, I realize what Lelouch did in Geass 08 was actually very smart, though it's LOL LOGIC all the way - compared to the Black Rebellion, it's a stroke of genius, since the Black Rebellion was a spur-of-the-moment short-sighted defiance against the odds and even without Lelouch scampering off, it probably would have failed anyway.

The next four or five episodes are going to be as good as the first eleven, I reckon. Suzaku's not going to get in the way, Lelouch's love for his siblings won't either - it'll be made of win and God.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #113
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hmm ... okay then. I'll hold off until 15.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #114
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Some interesting bits of information from a recent magazine interview:

1. There will be a new girl added to Ashford Academy circa Episode 12. She's a purple headed girl who looks something like Milly's body with Rollo's face. Name's Sophie.
2. The "Geass Runaway" effect where Lelouch's Geass won't turn off wasn't triggered from over-use, but the activation of the ruins on Kaminejima. Over-use only aggravated the problem.
3. Lelouch remembers the face of every person he ever Geass'd.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #115
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Some interesting bits of information from a recent magazine interview:

1. There will be a new girl added to Ashford Academy circa Episode 12. She's a purple headed girl who looks something like Milly's body with Rollo's face. Name's Sophie.
2. The "Geass Runaway" effect where Lelouch's Geass won't turn off wasn't triggered from over-use, but the activation of the ruins on Kaminejima. Over-use only aggravated the problem.
3. Lelouch remembers the face of every person he ever Geass'd.
Regarding 1 ... considering Millay has one of the best bodies in the series, yes. But Rollo's face? Hmm ... ... I'll have to see it in action first.

Regarding 2 ... um ... ... sounds like Sunrise wants to have its cake and eat it too. "It wasn't caused by overuse ............. but it was partly caused by overuse." Playing with words like "caused" vs. "aggravated" is dumb. For all intents and purposes relative to this discussion, they're the same damn thing. Either Lulu's overuse didn't matter or it did. And they're saying it did. Which is what we've always said. So why do they come along and feel the need to say, "It did ... but it didn't. :3" Oh fuck off, Sunrise, and please don't ruin the story any more. -_-

Regarding 3 ... do they mean some sort of special memory? or do they just mean that in the off-hand sense of "Yeah, Lelouch never forgets the people he's Geass'd just like a surgeon may never forget the people's he's operated on or a teacher may never forget the students she's taught." ?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 AM   #116
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Regarding 2 ... um ... ... sounds like Sunrise wants to have its cake and eat it too. "It wasn't caused by overuse ............. but it was partly caused by overuse." Playing with words like "caused" vs. "aggravated" is dumb. For all intents and purposes relative to this discussion, they're the same damn thing. Either Lulu's overuse didn't matter or it did. And they're saying it did. Which is what we've always said. So why do they come along and feel the need to say, "It did ... but it didn't. :3" Oh fuck off, Sunrise, and please don't ruin the story any more. -_-
That's partly my interpretation. Sunrise just said Lelouch's presence on the island, which was orchestrated by V.V., activated the ruins which in turn caused his Geass Runaway. However, it's obvious to anyone that Lelouch's Geass wasn't shown to be permanently "on" in the episodes following the journey on Kaminejima, though to my knowledge Lelouch didn't actually use his Geass at any time after he cursed Suzaku with it before it went out of control. IMV if the ruins caused the damage to his Geass, it would have been immediate and not something to happen days later.

Quote:
Regarding 3 ... do they mean some sort of special memory? or do they just mean that in the off-hand sense of "Yeah, Lelouch never forgets the people he's Geass'd just like a surgeon may never forget the people's he's operated on or a teacher may never forget the students she's taught." ?
My impression is it's a byproduct of his Geass, since there have been times Lelouch has Geass'd crowds or random nobodies and yet according to Sunrise he remembers who they were. Though, a likely Sunrise explanation would probably attribute this to Lelouch's superior memory.

Some other misc. notes.

Warning: Avoid exploring the Geass.tv website, there are a number of spoilers lurking around there through Episode 16.

1. There are going to be three new additions to the Black Knights as well. Give their voice actresses (Orikasa, Ohara, Gotou) they're probably going to be Black Knight equivalents in personality to Shirley, Millay, and Anya.
2. Rollo is classified on Sunrise's website as a Black Knight, but Viletta is still on the Britannian side.*
3. In the ending, Rollo has two different colour (black/white) wings sprouting out of his back. Those loyal to Britannia have white wings, those to Lelouch with black ones. Nunally has none.

*Minor Episode 5 spoiler. I didn't even think about it at first because it was pretty minor, but caught it at the last moment.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #117
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

gg has dropped Geass.

The whole turn of events has been pretty humourous, really. Sad and pathetic at the same time, but none-the-less humourous.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #118
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So, the new Geass came out. My impression is - it was OK, not too many new developments but we're finally getting to see Schneizel v. Lelouch. Actually, cut that. There WAS a big revelation, which I found rather interesting -

Jeremiah Gottwald says, "Not even C.C. or Lelouch can stop me". V.V. called him Zero, so I don't know if this means Jeremiah knows Zero = Lelouch or not. Whatever the case, Jeremiah does seem aligned with Britannia on this one - in the side materials of long ago, Jeremiah was revealed to be one of Marianne vi Britannia's guards, so I would expect him to be more loyal to the vi Britannias more than anyone else. Not the case I see.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #119
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The first fifteen minutes of Turn 10 were terrible. Suddely, there was a shocking development (a tease rather) at 15:15 that fizzled into nothing...then an even bigger surprise at 15:31. NOW THAT WAS A TWIST HAHAHA...!

There was an even BIGGER twist at the end, but...I think someone figured out what was going on so it was pretty funny to see.

5/10
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #120
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 11...it's pretty bad. I was expecting some miraculous turn-around victory, but suddenly, the school life takes over again! The "upset" was pretty lame IMV, strategy trumps action my arse. I'm rather disappointed waiting after last week's episode just to see this. Of course, i don't know how everyone else feels about it yet either...

More Anya moments, very good this is.

OH SNAP WHAT THE CRACKERS. @_@

4/10...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #121
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Lelouch's reputation is trashed! Haha, oh what.

...meh, 2/10. =/
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #122
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I watched Geass live.

I'm sort of glad I did, but man...8/10 episode. ;_;
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-13-2008, 03:55 AM   #123
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Talon sure picked a far out episode to return on. Turn 14 gets a 9/10 from me...some good parts, a lot of meh parts, and a few RAGE moments.

After watching the subs, I've decided to do something I rarely do - change my initial opinion. This episode ROCKED!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-20-2008, 03:35 AM   #124
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Turn 15 -

0/10, SHERBET SUCKS! It was bad enough Sunrise turned Guren Nishiki into Gurren-Lagann, but now they go and emulate Evangelion too?! BUGGER OFF MAGGOTS, THAT EPISODE WAS TERRRRIBLE!

Ok, I over-reacted. In light of Lelouch's GAR and what happened to him I promote this episode to 1/10 status. It was still baaad though. -_-
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-03-2008, 03:42 AM   #125
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Turn 17 -

7/10

Turn 16 was a 6/10 as well.
あきらめない 心かさね