Get!:
Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City
Eternal Sonata
Fate/Extra
Hexyz Force
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Play!:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope:
So I'm up to the second planet and have been enjoying this game so far. The one boss battle I have had to fight actually required strategy and wasn't just a spam attack fest. Unfortunately, the second planet brings with it one gigantic little problem. Lymle, fucking Lymle.
Spoiler: show
This is Lymle. She looks about six, but is actually 15 years old! She underwent a traumatic experience, and as a result now acts much younger than she really is, and closes herself off from everyone. Which could have been alright, and would have been an interesting storyline... except for the small fact that for literally no reason at all she hasn't physically aged either. And she has the most horrible VA I have ever had the displeasure of hearing. Needless to say, I have her battle voice turned off. And it's really sad that she was a character in this game, because so far with the exception of Lymle, all the characters have been interesting and actually have good VAs.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
Spikkle
Cascade Badge

Send a message via MSN to Spikkle
Beat: Elite Beat Agents
I made the foolish mistake of trading away my old copy of Elite Beat Agents to a friend before I finished it, in exchange for a copy of Jump! Super Stars which he had imported. Super Stars did had a fun twist in its 'Koma' system of fighter selection (you organise your fighters, assists and special abilities by arranging a series of comic panels on the DS' bottom screen, with space restrictions similar to the inventory systems in some older WRPGs).

But I've been wanting to play Elite Beat Agents again for years. So, I finally ordered a new copy off ebay for, like, 5 quid.

As most of you likely know, EBA is an incredibly hammed up rhythm game which centers itself around the adventures of an elite government(?) squad of secret agents who assist people in need. However, rather than directly intervening, the Agents assist their targets by boosting their morale and driving them to achieve the impossible...through the power of music!

If you haven't played EBA before, you should. You could emulate it on the PC, but it's not really the same experience as tapping along to the beat on your DS. Get yourself a physical copy. Do it now. WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING IT RIGHT NOW.

Get: The Cave
I'm a sucker for anything made by Ron Gilbert. I count Psychonauts as my favourite game ever and this looks like it's going to be pretty similar in terms of the great characterisation and dark humour.

Spikkle ------ Hollo ------ Tyke ------ Kooky Monster ------ Blake ------ Rockon

PASBL Squad | Fizzy Bubbles | Winner of deo's Award for Least Intelligent Comment of All Time

Need refs for: vs. Copy (new match)

Bonus:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Pikachu is like me when I play tennis. If I play someone that sucks, I start to suck and lose. But if I play someone good, I play somewhat decently and still lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
"One cross referee; one wayward pinch of banned narcotic substance, one RNG... AND KABLOOIE!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
And the round starts off with both Pokemon pulling out a Monopoly Board and.. it seems to work! Relicanth starts things off by picking the Tophat. Vulpix seems to be upset, as he coveted that piece. Luckily for him he does just that! Vulpix uses Covet and gets to play with the Tophat piece. Relicanth looks quite upset by these turn of events, and decides to use the Car instead!

The round continues with Relicanth landing on Central Avenue! He decides to purchase the property.. it's super effective! Vulpix instead decides to use Imprison! Suddenly Relicanth finds himself in jail! What an exciting twist! The round ends with Relicanth unable to do anything else at the moment.

Last edited by Spikkle; 01-21-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Spikkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re-Beat: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
My original cartridge save file backed up on my computer, a year or two ago I reset the game and played anew. Me = Mudkip, Partner = Chikorita again. (The one and only! ) I got through the third of the game's five boss icons and then put it down. Two nights ago on a whim I picked it back up and blazed through the dungeons. (I am normally mega meticulous about scouring every last square inch of the map before moving on, but this time I'd go straight into stairwells the moment I spotted them, even if they were right next to me when I spawned into that floor!) Last night I beat the fourth icon boss, and today I polished off the main story by beating the fifth of the icon bosses.

If evolution didn't mean people quit recognizing you as the protagonist, I'd probably evolve and keep playing for a little while longer. As it is, though, I might just put it down here. The game is less fun when it starts treating your special partner as just some run-of-the-mill Pokémon. I forget if they changed that it in PMD2 or not, but regardless here's hoping it's fixed in PMD3 and beyond.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #29
deoxys
Fog Badge

Beat: DmC: Devil May Cry

I decided to make a blog for game reviews, as it's something I'm interested in doing on the side, at least to help keep me writing if for nothing else.

I'd appreciate your comments or criticisms. I wrote my first review just now on Devil May Cry, so I hope you'll give it a look, and maybe follow if you have a tumblr!

http://hieroreviews.tumblr.com/post/...-devil-may-cry

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #30
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Get: PSP Go

$60 for a portable ROM machine? Me likey.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #31
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Beat: FTL Baby easy mode (5 hours)

BRB on my way to dick planet
Old 01-31-2013, 02:31 AM   #32
deoxys
Fog Badge

Borrowed and Beat: Journey

A very short game clocking in at just two hours play time, I beat It in one sitting. Although the experience is apparently much more emotional when playing online co-op, I found the game to be emotional by myself.

Never once is a word uttered from anyone and the story Is loosely told from murals, but the music made the game. It was thought provoking and very moving. I highly recommend playing it, or at least watching a silent let's play somewhere on Youtube if you dont have access to a PS3.

Not exactly GOTY material, but something I think everyone should check out.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #33
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Get/Played:

Etrian Odyssey
I tried getting into this, but the amount of grinding required to progress is ridiculous. Like during the first section, I easily beat the boss (Fenrir) and could easily wipe out all of the field monsters, but then on the next floor, my power counted for shit. I had to grind several more hours before I could stand a chance against the next floor. Sorry, but this is too repetitive for me. It's a shame, because this is really fun otherwise. I'm a sucker for things that stick you somewhere with little to no explanation, and you have to arrange everything yourself.

Agarest War ZERO
Found this for $15, and it's a tactics style RPG, so I decided to pick it up and play. Sadly this game is complete rubbish. It's nothing more than attack spam with really bad dialogue. The fact that you can make your main guy whatever you want is neat, but I'm sure in the long run, it counts for shit.

Ni no Kuni
Haah, despite what I said, I still pick up JRPGs and have expectations from them. It's hard to want to play anything else when I'm already used to the atmosphere. Ahem, onto the game itself. I heard great things about this, so I decided to buy it. I'm at the point where I just beat the first boss. So far, it's a little dull, but I do see potential. The boss fight actually excited me a little bit. I liked the constant switching between my guy and a summon. Though I hate how this game treats you like a fucking moron. They feel the need to give a tutorial for EVERYTHING.

Get:

Thief Bundle
$13 and I had some money to spare. Why not? Honestly I have low expectations for this. Sure the reviews say great things about this, but that was many years ago.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #34
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Beat: DmC: Devil May Cry

This game had a fairly shitty storyline. Its characters were shallow as a puddle.

But you know what? This was the most fun I've had with video gaming for a loooooong time.
Lots of things beat lots of things. VERY few things can beat paralysing some random mook with an Aquila blade, charging up for a full uppercut to take out another with the Eryx, then rushing halfway across the stage with the Stinger and mashing some guy to death via Trillion Stabs. This is without the ridiculous things you can do with Demon Pull(shielded flying enemies? Pfft, hah), Angel Pull, Angel Dash, blah blah blah. It's just...it's the best gameplay I've had for a loong time. And the music...well, I'm no dubstep fan, but holy fuck was that awesome.

All in all? Man, that was fun. Some games are deep like Bastion, some games make you go what the fuck like MGS2, but this...damn, this is just pure popcorn entertainment. And I love it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I played it with a controller, if that changes anything.

Last edited by Rangeet; 02-08-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Rangeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII-
- 13 hours, 56 minutes, 30 seconds
Sooo this was it. My first ever 3rd Person Shooter. I didn't know it was one until the gameplay began and it all finally dawned on me! The music was pretty good, the story not bad, art style not the best, graphics were good, gameplay... not my thing at all. My poor brain suffered from having to use the right stick for something other than camera control, an something which required some precision at that. On top of that I dun really find shooting stuff all that compelling. Plus I was really bad at it in general as my end of level rankings would show! In the end I overcame the challenges an handicaps on myself ta complete it so thats something. An maaaaan. That ending. Where's my continuation Square?!

Drill Dozer
- 3 hours, 11 minutes, 47 seconds
Yearly playthrough complete!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #36
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Got: Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings: Enhanced Edition.

Wow that's a long title. Played a little bit. Combat is pretty complex.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #37
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

XCOM Enemy Unknown

I'm not a reviewer, I don't play enough games to add much to any discussion, but goddamn it I'm loving this game. The pacing, above all; it holds your hand just long enough for you to stop being horrible and drops you off when you're just bad so you're forced to get good. And it's the kind of turn-based strategy game I thought had been abandoned by now, I love the mechanics and the complexity. And above all, I love Ironman.

I don't wanna talk about shortcomings, even if it does have some (impossible shots and pretty silly hit percentages occasionally), I'll just enjoy it for what it is; it really exceeded my expectations, maybe because I never played the original.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #38
Spikkle
Cascade Badge

Send a message via MSN to Spikkle
Wow so I should have posted this here a while back.

Beat: The Cave
It's great, cool, amazing etc. The way that the characters' backstories are slowly teased out over the course of a playthrough is lovely, although there is a very jarring contrast between that and the fact that each playthrough, there are a few puzzle sections that are literally exactly the same every time. And to see all the endings (two endings for each character, there are seven characters, you use three in each play), you need to play through each one of these sections at least four times. It's hell.

On your first playthrough and each time you go through a new section though, oh my sainted trousers it is good. Your narrator is a sentient cave and his VA is excellent. The characters each have subtle twists about them; the way that they are initially presented makes most of them, particularly the Scientist and the Time Traveller, seem to be pargons of goodwill, or at least okay people. The extent of their depravity is only revealed in full as you reach the bowels of the Cave, but of course this only serves to make these characters more relatable, and works well* to make the player question just how 'good' or 'evil' they would be in the same situation.

*but not perfectly

Get: Scribblenauts: Unlimited
This finally became available in the EU today after sitting, fully downloaded but locked, on my Steam list for a couple of months.

The ability to type as input rather than making seventeen separate prods at the screen of a DS only to find that your word was HURRR INCOMPATIBLE is a godsend.

I have created a Tentaquil and I am wearing it as a hat. Life is good.

Spikkle ------ Hollo ------ Tyke ------ Kooky Monster ------ Blake ------ Rockon

PASBL Squad | Fizzy Bubbles | Winner of deo's Award for Least Intelligent Comment of All Time

Need refs for: vs. Copy (new match)

Bonus:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Pikachu is like me when I play tennis. If I play someone that sucks, I start to suck and lose. But if I play someone good, I play somewhat decently and still lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
"One cross referee; one wayward pinch of banned narcotic substance, one RNG... AND KABLOOIE!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
And the round starts off with both Pokemon pulling out a Monopoly Board and.. it seems to work! Relicanth starts things off by picking the Tophat. Vulpix seems to be upset, as he coveted that piece. Luckily for him he does just that! Vulpix uses Covet and gets to play with the Tophat piece. Relicanth looks quite upset by these turn of events, and decides to use the Car instead!

The round continues with Relicanth landing on Central Avenue! He decides to purchase the property.. it's super effective! Vulpix instead decides to use Imprison! Suddenly Relicanth finds himself in jail! What an exciting twist! The round ends with Relicanth unable to do anything else at the moment.

Spikkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #39
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

So I was kind of in a "work sucks, I would like to buy a video game to dissipate some of the hate I feel in my heart for everything" mood, only to be brought low in my quest:

(tried to) and did not get: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Due to "manufacturing delays". Of course I could always buy it on the eShop!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I MADE A FUNNY

So I played more Borderlands 2.

EDIT: well hey look what I just found

Last edited by Blastoise; 02-17-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #40
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
Been wanting this one! Harvest Moon & Nintendo handhelds have gone together for me since the GBA! Managing not just a farm but a whole village sounds crazy enough to be great!

Demo'd!
- Brain Age: Concentration Training
I have the brain of a 60-70 year old?! Noooo! Not for long I tell ya! The demo only has 1 game but its a fun one. Some research has shown me theres lots more content in this one than prior BA's and it brings back some of my old faves. Soooo want.

- Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
I dunno why I bothered trying! I barely know anything about FF's outside of VII and I'm super awful at rhythm games! E ranks on the easiest difficulties for me x.x
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #41
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Beat: The Witcher (a lot of hours)

This is a good game. Probably one of my favorites ever. Yeah the gameplay sucks a little, but the story more than makes up for it.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #42
Loki

Witcher is actually based on a book series in Poland.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #43
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Witcher is actually based on a book series in Poland.
Indeed, I believe there are fan translations available online. I'm definitely going to try and read them (eventually).

I own The Witcher 2 on Steam, but my computer is too shitty to play, so I'll have to anxiously wait. At least I can cut through some of my backlog in the mean time.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #44
deoxys
Fog Badge

Get: Naruto Shipudden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3

The Naruto Storm games have always been excellent in quality and provided a lot of fun. So far the adventure mode, which sets the story between the Five Kage Summit arc and the near-end of the Fourth Ninja War, is alright but suffers several problems, especially the "free roam" aspect, which feels horribly unnecessary and tacked on.

Get & Beat: To the Moon

A short 4 hour 'game', To the Moon is a mere $10 on Steam. I'm going to write a small-ish review for it on my blog and will link it later, but for now I will leave you with this: it is a fantastic and incredibly emotional story worth hearing. But for now, I'm tired, so bed for me.

Last edited by deoxys; 03-17-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #45
deoxys
Fog Badge

Here's the review, if anyone was curious about the game.

http://hieroreviews.blogspot.com/201...w-to-moon.html

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #46
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
To The Moon: Beat

Was a great game, but they could've handled the ending much better.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #47
deoxys
Fog Badge

Heads up everyone interested... To the Moon is on sale for only $3.99 on Steam right now, not sure how long though, possibly a week.

Just putting that out there.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #48
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Beat: BioShock (15 hours)
This week on Tyranidos Plays 2007, I shittily played through BioShock. The game is amazing, but the ending kind of broke my heart because

I harvested one little sister. Just one. And it gave me the bad ending

Anyway, this gets me pumped for BioShock Infinite, which I will play and report back to you guys six years from now.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #49
Loki

Yeah... In Bioshock:

It's all or nothing. If you harvest one girl, HARVEST THEM ALL. If you don't harvest them, don't harvest any of them. The endings were kind of silly anyway though. The game is all Saint or Satan and not really something in between.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #50
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Don't feel bad. I still haven't played BioShock or Mass Effect. I didn't get around to playing Shadow of the Colossus (Fall 2005) until Summer 2009. I just picked up Fire Emblem (GBA) after putting it down back in like 2005, 2006 because I hated it. Started over from scratch, am currently somewhere on like Chapter 14 or 15. No shame in getting around to popular games many years later. There are simply too many good games in this world for us to be able to play them all, let alone when they all come out.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games