UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #51
Talon87
時の彼方へ

With $6,333,295 pledged, Shenmue III goes down in history as the 6th highest funded Kickstarter project of all time (as of this writing). Small fandom, big dreams. We rallied together and helped to make possible the continuation to one of our favorite games of all time.

Waiting until the Kickstarter was over, Yu Suzuki has now confirmed that, yes, he will be setting up a PayPal option for fans to provide additional funding. Many international fans clamored for PayPal as they were not able to use Kickstarter for one reason or another. Many fans both international and domestic also indicated a desire to see a PayPal avenue opened up as it would allow them to donate smaller sums of money monthly rather than one large sum of cash upfront.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #52
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kid Nocon hired on as part of the Shenmue III development team.

Kid Nocon is a Shenmue fan from South Korea who who remade portions of Shenmue 1 in the Unreal Engine 3 and 4 graphics engines. Two and a half months ago, amidst the fervor of the Shenmue III kickstarter, Kid uploaded his video of the re-rendered Hazuki Dojo in UE4 to YouTube. It caught the attention of many fans and led many to openly wonder if he might not be able to get a job working on either 1) a Shenmue 1&2 HD port or else 2) Shenmue 3 itself.

Well, wonder no more: the Shenmue III team's seen fit to publicly announce that Kid Nocon has been hired. And according to the tweet, he'll be working on Shenmue 3.

I like his work. And I'm very happy for him. I think some of his textures look a little too plasticky -- for example, the wood looks like it's been caked in gallons of lacquer -- but that's what working on a team is all about -- smoothing out one another's deficiencies and bringing the full force of your individual strengths to the table. For the most part, I've been hugely impressed by what I've seen of Kid's work and I think it was a smart decision to hire such a passionate and capable fan onto the project.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:42 AM   #53
deoxys
Fog Badge

Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Anniversary Update
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #54
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sega-...ention/0171907

"Shenmue 1 and 2 Remakes have our full attention"
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #55
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

It's nice that SEGA actually cares about their past and their franchises unlike Konami. I wish they'd stop trying to reinvent Sonic though. Hopefully if a remake does some out, it doesn't have weird shit in it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #56
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Shenmue III has been quietly delayed to 2019. I don't know what others think in and outside the fandom, but personally I'm pleased with the decision. Take your time and make a great game.

Last month it was confirmed that Shenmue I and II ports are coming out on PS4, XBox One, and PC in 2018. This I think is also good. It's disappointing to see that they won't be HD remakes, but rather they're pretty much just straight optimized ports from DreamCast to target platform. But hey. It's better than nothing, and it should mean that more players get to experience the games ahead of Shenmue III's release.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #57
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I was thinking about finding a way to play these games but if we're seeing a Steam release I suppose I can just wait for that!

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 PM   #58
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Went ahead and upgraded my donation. It was already considerable, but it's been three years since Summer 2015 and I figured I could afford to spare some extra change if it meant a) more memorabilia and b) more money to finance the production of the best possible finished product. The deadline for doing so is in ... about five hours, I think. ^^; So I cut it pretty close.

They finally asked me to confirm which version of the game I wanted between four eligible choices: digital PS4, digital Steam, physical PS4, or physical Steam. I opted for physical Steam; while I'm disappointed it'll be a Steam-based download like most modern PC games instead of being fully loaded on the DVD like older PC games were, I both understand and would still prefer to have the physical bookcase. I don't know much about how Shenmue III has been coded, but I'm optimistic that Steam or no Steam we'll still be able to customize and homebrew things on PC that wouldn't be possible or permitted on PS4. Example 1: changing characters' faces. Example 2: changing characters' costumes. We'll see. Even if it isn't possible, I'd still rather have it for PC and Steam. Steam's not going anywhere any time soon, whereas the PS4 is already on its last legs. It will be 5ľ years old by the time Shenmue III releases!

Speaking of which, we got a release date: August 27th, 2019! That's only one year away from the writing of this post. I'm pretty satisfied with that, too. One year means at least a couple of months(?) to put the last-minute finances to good use for coding a few Kickstarter stretch goals we hadn't originally managed to reach but now can, and then six to nine months or so of post-production where they're printing the boxes and Kickstarter bling, working with advertisers to promote the game, and generally getting ready for launch. It also means that it will have been a little over 4 years between when the game was first announced at E3 2015 and when the street date hits. That sounds about right for a major studio project, even if this is an amateur project and in various respects might not live up to the exacting expectations of modern-day gamers. I don't know that an extra year or two in development would have much helped Shenmue III at this point -- either it's going to be good or it's going to be bad. Let's go ahead and get it out, and if it's good then let's go ahead and turn our sights to Shenmue IV and the next 4-to-5-year development cycle.

The newest trailer is right here. I think it looks pretty darn great. Some faces like Shenhua's I don't think look right. Other faces like Ryo's look fine. And other faces like Lan Di's look very good, even if still different from the DreamCast version. Backgrounds look really impressive; the lighting doesn't quite look natural (looks really really glisteny and shiny), but at the same time it also does look pretty darn natural and regardless looks very pretty. Japanese voice acting (at least Shenhua's!) is top notch. Some of the human body motions look a little unnatural or jerky. But as is typical of a Shenmue game, the attention to minor visual details is astounding in rooms and buildings. Just look at the interior of that room at 0m25s, for example! The wall scrolls, the folding screens, the carpet, the lanterns. The soundtrack in this trailer is the thing that has me most excited -- a Shenmue song I've never heard before, and it's every bit as majestic as all that's come before. Very excited to listen to the entire soundtrack!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #59
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Speaking of which, we got a release date: August 27th, 2019! That's only one year away from the writing of this post. I'm pretty satisfied with that, too.
That's as abymsal a date as the botched Shenmue Collection is -_-
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #60
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7x0Urgvz4

Turns out the Shenmue Collection was being worked on for roughly 3 years but over 2 of those years were spent actually remastering the graphics. That version was canned late last year, and the rushed barebones bugged out ports we got were actually rushed as they were worked on for 9 months at best? wtf Sega. This genuinely updated version surely wouldn't have made it out this year but hey, who said it had to? Did they really want/need to have these release before 3? Next years the 20th anniversary for Shenmue and if they coulda got this out sometime before or after 3, that woulda been super great!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7x0Urgvz4

Turns out the Shenmue Collection was being worked on for roughly 3 years but over 2 of those years were spent actually remastering the graphics. That version was canned late last year, and the rushed barebones bugged out ports we got were actually rushed as they were worked on for 9 months at best? wtf Sega. This genuinely updated version surely wouldn't have made it out this year but hey, who said it had to? Did they really want/need to have these release before 3? Next years the 20th anniversary for Shenmue and if they coulda got this out sometime before or after 3, that woulda been super great!
I feel sorry for the developers who worked on the scrapped project. All that hard work for nothing, and it would have come with so much praise and gratitude, too. (The only problem I kept seeing with the unreleased footage was that it was too bright, indeed altering the mood of certain scenes just as the video narrator presumed it might.)

In brighter news, the crappy port of I and II has had its new players -- and with them, new fans! Courtesy of Shenmue Dojo, I just discovered RetroSensei's review of the games. Never heard of RetroSensei before, but he tells us right from the get-go that he's heard of Shenmue before but had never had the chance to play it until the re-release came out. He's played both games now, and ...
"The tale told in #Shenmue is out of this world. Each game feels like an episode in a serial, and the storyline rivals any classic RPG you might come across."

"If you’re a fan of Asian culture, or games with great storytelling, this collection is a must-have."
Nice! And of course accurate.

A different, older fan has this to say, though:
"When Shenmue came out I was much younger then Ryo. By the time Shenmue 3 comes out I will be older then Lan Di. I dont know why but that is really messing with me lol."
hahahahaha , wow. Lan Di was born on August 13, 1955, and was 31 years old when Shenmue takes place in the late winter / early spring of 1987. Ryo was born on November 29, 1968 (!!!) and would have been 18 years old in early '87. So yeah, if you were 17 in 1999, you would be 36 today. You could have been as young as 13 in 1999 and still be 32 today. Younger than Ryo when Shenmue came out, yet older than Lan Di now. Man, that's crazy. Crazier still is that I fit this bill myself. Older than 31 today, younger than 18 in 1999. Never really noticed this before. I still relate 100% to Ryo. Crazy to think I'm now older than Lan Di is.

But yeah, no, we gotta circle back around to that "!!!"-marked bit. Is Ryo really a '60s baby!? I guess I never really thought about it before ... I mean, sure, every Shenmue fan knows the game takes place in 1987, and of course he's not a baby in those games ... But still! I never really thought about how this would have meant he was born not in the '80s, not even in the '70s, but in the '60s. Man. If Ryo were real and alive today, he'd be 49 years old and turning 50 next month. Geez louise.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #62
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
In bad news: Shenmue III will not be coming to Steam, despite earlier promises, and will be an Epic Store exclusive for the time being, even if you've purchased a physical copy for the PC.

So if you were planning on playing it on PC through Steam, guess you're out of luck for now.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #63
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Ya what an abject disaster. Its Shenmue 2 (north america) all over again!

Last weeks backer update: steam required
This weeks backer update: our publisher just got a truckload of money (possibly only hours before the announcement)

They're only now gonna be "looking into" refunding people who want refunds which is crap coming off their initial "lol no refunds" statement. The game needed to be in as many stores (and consoles which as an aside it was disappointing hearing Xbone version deconfirmed last weekend) as possible.

Shenmue 3 only bring the story to about the 40% complete mark. Good luck going back to crowdfunding for 4/5/6 guys! I backed for the PS4 version but I'm still pissed at this move.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #64
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Like a week later
E3s over
Silence

Are they putting more thought into a response to the backers than they did into signing this deal? Or are they keeping quiet hoping for it to blow over (sadly worked for THQN of which Deep Silver is a subsidiary of hmmmmmm). Course ya got shills on twitter an forums going LOVE EPIC JUST ANOTHER LAUNCHER GAME COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MADE WITHOUT THIS DEAL ALSO DEEP SILVER NEEDS THIS CASH OR THERE WON'T BE A SHENMUE 4 !!!!!!!!!! all the while games media is awol.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #65
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Spoiler: show
BORKED

Link

SuperEyePatchWolf talks about his love for Shenmue series and also how times have changed. I found it interesting as an outsider on his views of the series at the time of release. It's hard to realize how different the world was during the time of the Dreamcast and how Shenmue's advanced graphics wouldn't really be surpassed until like Half Life 2.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games