UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

27 dead in Newtown, CT Elementary School Shooting, 20 of them children.

I don't even know what to say to this. I cannot imagine the grief that the parents of these children are going through right now... or how the children who survived will cope with what occurred. 8 adults, presumably staff, were also killed (I believe that number may be up to 9).

ABC News is providing live updates regarding the shooting.

Last edited by Marion Ette; 12-15-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

My friend just showed me this (on his birthday no less!), and I was dumbstruck.

I just don't understand what would possess anyone to shoot up a school, ESPECIALLY one full of innocent children.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Senseless.

How many times does this have to happen for some sort of gun control to be put forth?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Unfortunately, I think it'll take a politician getting shot in one of these tragedies before anything will actually happen.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine: et lux perpetua luceat ei.

Please don't make this political.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Unfortunately, I think it'll take a politician getting shot in one of these tragedies before anything will actually happen.
Happened already (Giffords). Maybe one might have to die in the process.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
This is in the state I live in, pretty close to my town, so I was shocked.

Truthfully, they would not want me to be their executioner. I would kill them in the most sadistic way possible.

The problem is, a friend of mine had said that CT had abolished the death penalty, so wtf? Are we supposed to let them live cushy lives in a federal prison?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>The problem is, a friend of mine had said that CT had abolished the death penalty, so wtf? Are we supposed to let them live cushy lives in a federal prison?

The gunman is dead so the point is moot.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Show some respect. Take your debates about gun control and the death penalty elsewhere.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think this quote says all we need to say about the matter until there's been some time to recover from today's events.

Quote:
This is the last thing I’m going to say on the topic but I know this is turning into a massive debate about gun control and no matter where you stand on it I’d like to think you’re smart enough to realize it’s imperative that we find some sort of middle ground between nobody being allowed to have guns and children getting murdered
MG is right; if you feel compelled to discuss gun control, the death penalty or anything else equally controversial, feel free to start a thread in Debate. This thread is about the news story, not the issues it raises.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Show some respect. Take your debates about gun control and the death penalty elsewhere.
I wasn't having a debate on either of them Amras.

Truthfully, I do feel for these families who had their children killed today. The kids did nothing to deserve this at all. I am just appalled at this. Seriously, how twisted do you have to be to walk into an elementary school and shoot children.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
This is horrible. I feel really sorry for those children, their family, and the survivors. No surprises that the shooter was found dead. Was he killed or did he suicide? Either way, if there is a hell, I just hope he rots in it.
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmund View Post
This is horrible. I feel really sorry for those children, their family, and the survivors. No surprises that the shooter was found dead. Was he killed or did he suicide? Either way, if there is a hell, I just hope he rots in it.
From what I understand, he was shot and killed by police. The shooter has been identified as Ryan Lanza, 24, of New Jersey. Apparently, a dead body has been found at his home, as well.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
From what I understand, he was shot and killed by police. The shooter has been identified as Ryan Lanza, 24, of New Jersey. Apparently, a dead body has been found at his home, as well.
Yeah, it was one of his parents.

Wasn't there a second gunman as well?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Is there any speculation on the reason for the shooting yet?

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I have one last thing to say concerning this.

Quote:
In anticipation of the wash of posts that are sure to crop up soon concerning the events in CT today: I have the deepest sympathies for the many innocent children and adults who lost their lives at the hands of a deranged and evil man. This is the kind of tragedy that no one should ever have to experience and it is horrendous that something so earth-shatteringly horrible has transpired.

But, that being said, I am not going to let these events dominate my emotions or my life. There is nothing wrong with being disgusted, upset, angered or outraged: in fact, I hope that everyone is and everyone should be. However, it is not worth it to submit your life to these emotions. Letting this fear and anger dominate your life is letting those who commit these atrocities win. It is far better and wiser to channel your anger into something that does someone good. Even if you cannot directly assist those affected by the tragedy, use that energy and drive to do something good for someone else. In times like these, we need as much good as we can get and it’s not worth it to let your energy go to waste by brooding and squabbling over things you can do nothing about.

Who knows, maybe you will find a way to help those who have lost their friends and family members by doing something you think may not? If you don’t at least try to do good, you never will.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
Yeah, it was one of his parents.

Wasn't there a second gunman as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
Is there any speculation on the reason for the shooting yet?
Okay, I was watching NBC, and it seems new info has come out, so I'll address it. There was only one gunman, Ryan Lanza, 24. The dead body of his mother was not found at home, but at the scene of the shooting. She worked at the school and was killed in the shooting. So, that's the connection to the school, still haven't heard of a reason why.

Thoughts and prayers with friends and family of the children, parents, and anyone else affected by the tragedy.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
On the one hand, this sucks and is really sad.

On the other...I don't get the "emotional devastation" some people are expressing. I've read comments about people saying they're so shocked they're going to skip work. Despite living across the country.

Huh? If you're in the local neighbourhood I could understand...but for people as unrelated to the victims or shooter as being thousands of miles away, that seems pretty melodramatic.

Also, Ryan Lanza might not be the killer, apparently he's updating his Facebook (from his Mobile) claiming he isn't. If he isn't the killer...way to break the news to a kid that his parents are dead.

That happened within my family's friends. The guy who set up my mother and father died, and someone on Facebook updated a status about hearing he died. The daughter, who lives in Japan where it was day, read it, and only later got a call from her mother and brother. :/
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I have to agree with Dopple here; sure, it's a tragedy, but putting your life on hold for something you can do nothing about is silly.

At the risk of derailing the thread, I feel like it might be a symptom of liberal guilt. As liberal as I am, I really can't subscribe to the feeling of guilt so many liberals seem to carry with them.

Like I said, you should feel outraged, but letting these events take over your life is letting the villains win.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
phoopes
Double Dragon

Just saw somewhere that a second gunman was arrested? I heard it secondhand but apparently it was on CNN earlier today...

Also, I saw the thing that Dopple mentioned about a Ryan Lanza updating his Facebook statuses. From my understanding, that was a different Ryan Lanza. According to http://howmanyofme.com/ (site uses stuff from the US Census apparently, not sure how accurate it is) there are 10 people named Ryan Lanza in the US, so it's certainly possible that some confusion could arise.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Another year, another school massacre.

Why did apes evolve to the point where their brains find it necessary to end very young lives for no reason whatsoever?

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

I don't see any reports of a second gunman. Just that the shooter walked into his mother's classroom and open fired.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
On the one hand, this sucks and is really sad.

On the other...I don't get the "emotional devastation" some people are expressing. I've read comments about people saying they're so shocked they're going to skip work. Despite living across the country.

Huh? If you're in the local neighbourhood I could understand...but for people as unrelated to the victims or shooter as being thousands of miles away, that seems pretty melodramatic.
Agreed. The cynical bastard in me expects the people skipping work are just lazy shits anyway. If that's legit then I might start claiming it for some subset of the other 150,000+ people that die every day.

Most of the people expressing "emotional devastation" in other parts of the country won't even be able to name the victims. It's insulting to the family and friends of those who've died. Sympathy for victims and their loved ones? Sure. "Oh woah is me some people I had no idea existed and can't name or picture died in an unrelated part of the country, how can I go on with my life"? No.

Last edited by Concept; 12-14-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
deoxys
Fog Badge

This is beyond fucked. I don't understand why the fuck these things have been happening so much. And now children? A bunch of innocent little kids?

I hope the fucker who did this burns in Hell.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
Trepie
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Trepie Send a message via MSN to Trepie
At some point there are no words to make sense of tragedies. Cause and blame can wait. Mourn the dead, and mourn for those whose lives will never be the same.
Trepie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc