UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Mercutio
Banned

Sunflora Pokémon Movies - Which is your favourite?

So I was watching Power of One about a week ago. I have fond memories of it for a number of reasons including my affection for the Kanto birds, my memories of Charizard kicking butt and recollection of going to see the film with my parents and brother and then sitting at the back of some meeting my parents were attending later on and discussing it with my brother like crazed fan children. On rewatching it, sadly, I have decided that it is an incredibly bad film. I actually turned it off about 2/3 of the way through becuase it is just so mediocre, and not even in an entertaining kind of "this film is so bad it's good" kind of way. Like, This Means War was a pretty crappy film, but it's entertaining anyway (also Reese Witherspoon is fine). But this was just... crap.

Now, I like Mewtwo Strikes Back. That film is pretty good, and minus the whole magic pokémon tears thing makes a good amount of sense. I remember that my Dad took us to see it and fell asleep, but I still think it's great. So I was wondering if this is just because they're kids movies and I'm now 22, or if it's just thta pokémon movies are like Star Trek movies; some are great, some are not.

My real question is this: which pokémon movie is your favourite? If you pick anything subsequent to Movie... 3? Best to summarise why, as I have probably not seen it! Are pokémon films any good nowadays?

Specials and Shorts are included in the question!
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Movies I have watched all the way through: Mewtwo Strikes Back, Power of One, Spell of the Unown, Jirachi: Wish Maker, Destiny Deoxys, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, The Rise of Darkrai, Giratina and the Sky Warrior. Also Mewtwo Returns.

Fave is probably Mewtwo Strikes Back because of the reasons you said. It was just so awesome to go to a cinema and watch a Pokémon movie, especially since I was 11 at the time and my mum had no clue what was going on. The Advance Generation movies were... ok but not brilliant. DP ones were alright too, though I never saw the Arceus one which was the culmination of a three-movie plot arc. Made me like Darkrai and Giratina a lot more though.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Of the ones I can recall having seen, I guess I'd rank them ...

The one with Lucario and Sir Aaron > the one with Latias = the OAV where Mewtwo is shown for a second time > the one with Papa Entei > the one with Lugia > the one with Mewtwo and Mew

That stated, I feel today that all of the Pokémon films are pretty bad compared against a) other films in general and b) the anime's best moments. As a teen, it got to the point that after the third film came out, I no longer wanted to see the next film (still haven't seen #4 with Celebi! ) and began wanting to write the films off as non-canon fanfics. (Which is kind of funny considering that, to this day, I am even more bothered by the fact that the Pokémon Ash met in the early films, like Articuno, Lugia, and Entei, he then acted like he'd never seen before when they made their TV debuts.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>Canon status

Yeah the anime's really inconsistant with that. Ash and James recognised Lugia during Johto and Ash recognised Latios during the Sinnoh League but then he saw Dialga and Palkia over the course of three movies and didn't know them in the anime.

Upcoming movie spoilers:
Spoiler: show
Looks like the Genesect movie is going to take a few leaves out of Mewtwo's book, since the group of Genesect is appearing in the anime at the moment. I think.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just watched the Johto episode with Lugia two years or so ago and Ash certainly didn't remember it. So I felt, anyway. So I looked it up on Bulbapedia just now and ...

Quote:
A parent Lugia and its child (nicknamed Silver by Oliver) lived near Silver Rock Isle in the Whirl Islands. Dr. Namba attempted to capture both the parent Lugia and Silver for Giovanni in The Mystery is History, A Parent Trapped!. and A Promise is a Promise. Ash and Misty (Brock was not along with them) act as if this was their first time seeing a Lugia, as if the second movie never took place. Meowth, as well, said that he'd "never seen a Pokémon like that before!" On the contrary, the dub pays mention of the Lugia that was seen in the Orange Islands, with both James and Ash stating that it was "like" the one they'd seen in the Orange Islands. In both versions, Ash first refers to the baby Lugia as a "mysterious Pokémon."
Fucking 4Kids. It's a dub edit. (What I recently rewatched was the raw.) While I'd say raw trumps dub in terms of canon wars, I concede your observation is correct for the English-language version. Still: pretty sure that even in English that kid failed to recognize Articuno, who he saw in the very same film.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Yeah the only episode I've watched raw is the Porygon one, for obvious reasons. Fair point.

I wish they'd be more consistent though. Ash has had further experiences with Aura since the Lucario movie, and both the Mewtwo and Genesect movies have leadups in the anime.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Has he? I don't recall aura showing up again in the Sinnoh (mostly final season) or Unova (all) episodes I watched. Unless you're referring to his experience with Azelf in Sinnoh? (Was that the Lucario film's aura thing again? I must've missed that.)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

My favorite Pokemon movie is Power of One, followed by Mewtwo Strikes Back. I've seen either large chunks or bits and pieces of the other movies, and they all seemed pretty shitty.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
The problem is, all the Pokemon movies I've seen (Power of One, Mewtwo Strikes Back, the Entei one) I saw when I was like 7 - 10 years old and have not seen them since, so I think they are excellent.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Mercutio
Banned

I would advise you to stick to that policy, Tdos.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
The problem is, all the Pokemon movies I've seen (Power of One, Mewtwo Strikes Back, the Entei one) I saw when I was like 7 - 10 years old and have not seen them since, so I think they are excellent.
Oh lord, you should check any one of them out again.

Quote:
You ... are ... MAMA!
The Pokémon movies: blurring the line between creepy and hysterically awful since 1999.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Mercutio
Banned

Isn't the Celebii one the one where Professor Oak sees a load of Johto pokémon and then has a seizure and forgets them all?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
Sneaze
Mrow?

Great, now I have to rewatch all the movies and rank them. Watch this space as I'll probably do this over the course of the next ~week or so. If I don't I got distracted, happens all the time.

Edit: And now I begin my watching and rating, with my thoughts on each movie spoilered. Unfortunately I'm going to have to take off my nostalgia goggles as I do so.

Mewtwo Strikes Back - 6/10
For the most part the story makes sense but there are a few things that bug me, mostly that if Mewtwo was going to create super clones anyway why even bother challenging people to battle, as well as the super cheesy thing where apparently if enough Pokemon cry they can ressurect everyone who has been passed over a certain period of time, as per both the story the harbor master described as well as what actually ends up happening with Ash being turned to stone by the psychic blasts, which was beyond Pokemon's normal level of stupid plot bullshit.

There were also a few moments that were pretty absurd and/or just plain stupid. Those being:
-Constantly calling Pokemon species the wrong thing, which while it makes sense for Team Rocket to do this during the cloning process the big ones were when Team Rocket called a Scyther an Alakazam, and when a trainer called his own Pidgeot a Pigeotto.
-For whatever stupid reason Meowth's clone doesn't want to fight like every single other one.
-Team Rocket somehow making it to New Island by riding on Weezing underwater.

That said, the backstory for Mewtwo was very well done, and the part at the very beginning where Mewtwo was apparently dreaming and it ended up being how Mew would eventually rise from the see was quite excellent.

Also funny moment in Misty claiming Pokemon aren't meant to fight, fighting is bad, etc. and going against everything Pokemon has become in some horrible attempt at face saving.

The Power of One - 9/10
This one was very excellently done as far as the story goes, especially so since it is done almost effortlessly despite being just long battle between a bunch of legendaries. The main villain was bland, but was still entertaining. Comedic value was pretty much everywhere, what with the Krabby line, Slowking's line about pants, etc. The only real problem I have with this particular movie is how predictable it all is, due to the fact that all of the plot is presented in the first third of the movie.

A few excellent moments are Misty getting angry at the villain for acting as though Pokemon are just meant to be collected, as well as the fourth wall break at the end with Team Rocket and Slowking.

Spell of the Unown - 9/10
AMAZING storyline through and through. Not to mention all of the battle scenes are incredibly epic, even if Molly's crystal Pokemon are OP as all hell. The only thing that it really lacks is proper comedic effect, which while Team Rocket does supply every now and again, including a single fourth wall break, it's just an entirely serious movie, which could do with a break in the seriousness every now and again.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut

Last edited by Sneaze; 04-18-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I've watched Mewtwo Strikes Back, The Power of One, Spell of the Unown, Pokemon 4ever, Pokemon Heroes, Jirachi Wishmaker, Destiny Deoxys, Pokemon Ranger and the temple of the sea, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Rise of Darkrai, Giratina and the Sky Warrior, and Arceus and the Jewel of life. Also Mewtwo Returns which technically isn't a movie but should totally count. Maybe others that I've forgotten.

Um. My favorite? Ehhhhhh. Probably Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, though I might be biased because I absolutely love that specific crystalline blue and they slathered it EVERYWHERE in that movie. Pokemon 4ever and Heroes probably tie for a distant second place, and Power of One will always have a special place in my heart. Actually wait. Rise of Darkrai had its moments, too. Er.

Favorite: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
Silver: Heroes
Bronze: 4ever
Special mention for most-frequently-quoted-lines: Power of One
Special mention for ship-causing-fangirl-squee: Rise of Darkrai
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

When the movie first came out, I used to fucking love this song from the second movie. It's still pretty good, so give it a listen if you haven't heard it in years. (You know the one I'm talking about ... ;p) Nothing I'd go listening to over and over again like I did back then, but ... it's pretty good. I wonder if it'll show up in the second UPN game.

Oh God. >_< This takes me back in the worst possible way. What was with 4Kids' obsession with crappy hip hop and pop artists? Oh no ... OH NO! ... LOU BEGA. xfd; Okay, okay, back on topic. (OH GOD, THAT MISTY SONG >_< ... okay, seriously, back on topic. )

Oh man. This trailer isn't anything near the level of art we've come to expect of modern cinema trailers, but I can only imagine how excited every single kid in the theater got seeing this for the first time. Especially since, back then, this was likely the first they ever heard of a Pokémon film. The Japanese trailer sure is bizarre though. O_o It's themed around the one soft-spoken ending theme song (3 or 4, I forget which) with the ferris wheel of Pokémon. And who are all these humans? I don't remember any of these three girls! WHAT THE HECK IS THIS!? DID THEY GET THEIR OWN SHORT IN JAPAN!? O_o I have never seen this footage before. hahahahaha Some little girl gets a kiss from a wild Pikachu? "Pikachu's Summer Vacation", it says. But ... wasn't that the name of our short!? The one with Marill? What the hell!? Is this made-for-trailer footage that never got turned into an actual product?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

The girl on the left seems familiar, but...?

Yeah I'm actually just as confused.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
When the movie first came out, I used to fucking love this song from the second movie. It's still pretty good, so give it a listen if you haven't heard it in years. (You know the one I'm talking about ... ;p) Nothing I'd go listening to over and over again like I did back then, but ... it's pretty good. I wonder if it'll show up in the second UPN game.
I love this song. It's a huge part of why I watched Power of One so much as a kid. I can play it on Euphonium and Bass Clarinet =O
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I've only seen Mewtwo Strikes Back and Power of One. Of the two, Mewtwo Strikes Back is clearly the superior film. I mean come on. It has Mewtwo.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I've seen all the movies up to the Zekrom/Reshiram movie, and my favorites are the second one (because Lugia) and movies 4-7, which I have on one DVD.
That one scene where Rayquaza pointblank Hyper Beams Deoxys, in which you could see the size difference and think, "Whoa, Ray could've easily just eaten Deoxys if it wanted to..."
If I can find where a subbed version of the Zoroark movie is, I'll try and watch that so I get to watch the cool stuff that got cut in the dub, and maybe that'll end up being a favorite of mine.

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
I've seen all the movies up to the Zekrom/Reshiram movie, and my favorites are the second one (because Lugia) and movies 4-7, which I have on one DVD.
That one scene where Rayquaza pointblank Hyper Beams Deoxys, in which you could see the size difference and think, "Whoa, Ray could've easily just eaten Deoxys if it wanted to..."
If I can find where a subbed version of the Zoroark movie is, I'll try and watch that so I get to watch the cool stuff that got cut in the dub, and maybe that'll end up being a favorite of mine.
Heeeey, I have those same movies combo packed, too!

That is a pretty fantastic scene, especially with how the motion slows as Rayquaza closes in to showcase it in exquisite detail!
Conversely, it was pretty badass when Deoxys hit Rayquaza with that tiny-looking Psycho Boost and sent him hurtling into the ground~
Quote:
Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #21
Emp
Volcano Badge

So out of the ones I've seen it goes:
1. Mewtwo Strikes Back: Probably the most exciting back when I was a kid, but I wouldn't want to rewatch it
2. Lucario and the Mystery of Mew: I think this is objectively the best film. The animation is top-notch and so is the story.
3. Spell of Unown: I watched the hell out of this on VHS although in hindsight the story is kind of sucky.
4. Destiny Deoxys: I loved that Vancouver-based city it was set in, as well as the Antarctica scene. As Kaine mentioned, any scene with Rayquaza fighting Deoxys was epic.
5. Manaphy and the Temple of the Sea: I kind of felt the story was a bit dull but as a water-type lover all the ocean scenes saved this for me.
6. Jirachi: Wishmaker: The plot for this wasn't great, but Hoenn is probably my favourite region so it's got that.
7. Arceus Movie: With the god of Pokémon as the main star the plot should have been so much better. I did like the villian in this much better than any of the earlier ones.
8. The rise of Darkrai: The story felt repetative and watching two Pokémon fight for the best part of an hour while Ash and co stand on helplessly is not fun.
9. Power of One: See my last sentence above. Even as a kid I didn't really like this film. The Orange Islands was never that great for me cause I was a huge fan of the games over the anime.

I tried to watch Pokémon 4ever for the first time recently but without nostalgia goggles I couldn't really get over the bad plot and early 2000's animation. I also tried to watch the Zoroark movie but couldn't get into that either. Therefore I think the best era for Pokémon movies was advanced generation.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Last edited by Emp; 04-13-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>Belatedly realizes that he lives in the city Rayquaza terrorized

Where are my moving sidewalks??
Quote:
Old 04-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #23
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
I've seen them all, except for Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and Kyurem and the Sword of Justice (if it's even out). Am I missing out on anything?

I can't decide favorites, though.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #24
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yeah the Kyurem movie came out a few months ago. I did a reaction thread to it, and it really wasn't too bad. Certainly not as good as the ones from when I was a little kid, however. For me, my favorite is a tie between Mewtwo Strikes Back and Destiny Deoxys. Both were solid plots with awesome and memorable battles.

EDIT: I've seen all of them except for the Zoroark movie, and the double release Black and White movies.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #25
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Yeah the Kyurem movie came out a few months ago. I did a reaction thread to it, and it really wasn't too bad. Certainly not as good as the ones from when I was a little kid, however. For me, my favorite is a tie between Mewtwo Strikes Back and Destiny Deoxys. Both were solid plots with awesome and memorable battles.

EDIT: I've seen all of them except for the Zoroark movie, and the double release Black and White movies.
Boom.

I laughed pretty hard reading this again. Kyurem using Flamethrower was the best.

My favorite Pokemon movie has to be Destiny Deoxys, because of the pretty nice animation(for its time anyways.), the great Deoxys versus Rayquaza battles(QUINTUPLE FIRE HYPER BEAM!!!!!!!), and the kickass Metagross.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON