UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team

Old 06-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Weekly Moves

This was an odd idea.

Anyway, as some might be aware, me and Swampy have started cycling through all 493 pre-DP 'mon ginkas. Well. The cute anime girl ones, that is. One per a week. Yes, this is gonna take years.

So, one might ask "Okay, sure, why are you posting a new thread about this? Just for attention? :/"

Simple. We decided to do actual... Um... Thingies. Every week, I'll post one moveset for each of our avatars, maybe more (I'll try to not do any excessively overused sets- this might not be the best place to come for sets that will single handedly overwhelm an opponent's team; Fun sets that just might work? Okay, sure.), and Swampy will post various peices of trivia about the two.

I'll start with last week's duo.

Bulbasaur
Spoiler: show
Bulbasaur w/ Evolite
Chlorophyll, 252 Def, 252 SpDef, 6 HP
-Sleep Powder
-Toxic
-Synthesis
-Energy Ball/Power Whip/Charm

Okay, a pretty basic set. It's just a rather simple wall. Sleep Powder lets you take a dangerous player out of the game, Toxic helps you slowly break things down, Synthesis is recovery to make sure you can outlast your opponent. The last slot will typically be your anti-taunt move; Energy Ball is the classic reliable move with a small chance of a helpful secondary effect. However, there seems to be a new trend going around of giving walls powerful moves- I guess the logic is that when a wall is attacking, it needs to hit hard. On the other hand, if you don't think a wall should be attacking at all (Lets be honest here- how often do you leave in a wall after it's taunted, even when you have an offensive attack?), you can run Charm in the last slot- makes physical attackers a total non-threat. No self-respecting player is gonna leave an attacker in to just get eaten, and keeping some sort of entry hazards down is gonna make sure they're punished for this. However, this set has two especially redeaming qualities- the first is Chlorophyl. There are amazing things a wall can do with high speed, especially this set. Sleep Powder becomes much more potent under sunlight, allowing you to outrace and remove a threat that would usually OHKO you. Synthesis shouldn't need to be explained- a speedy heal of 75% of your health? Yes please~! I guess the attacking moves would allow you to finish off an opponent which has been brought to it's knees by Toxic, but Charm would probably benifit more, allowing you to cripple an attacker before it can strike. The EVs are a little weird, since you normally want to max the HP of a wall before defenses- but this way maximizes the benifit from Evolite. I guess you could run Sunny Day in the last slot to help yourself, but I think that's more effective on an offensive set. Choose a nature that lowers the unused offensive stat and raises a defensive stat- if you don't run any offensive attacks, lower attack to reduce self-damage from confusion.

Arceus
(Aka Fabulous Almighty)
Arceus w/ Choice Scarf
Multitype, 252 Speed, 252 SpAtk, 6 HP, Modest/Timid Nature
-Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Trick
-Shadow Ball/Earth Power

Okay, I can see why no one has done this before- not doning a plate means Arceus has to miss out on the opportunity to have a usable STAB-type. However, the opportunity afforded to a 120 base speed pokemon with a Scarf in Ubers for revenging threats is... amazing. The moves are chosen for maximum Super Effective coverage, since you're missing out on STAB for all your moves. Ice Beam covers the multitude of dragons you find roaming in ubers, since dragons tend to be, well, legendary *shot for bad joke*. Dragon Pulse is also an option, giving up the chance to hit Ground-types such as Groudon and Flying-types such as Shaymin-S for the chance to catch dragons such as Palkia and SS Kingdra, who take neutral damage from Ice moves. Flamethrower and Fire Blast devastate the infamous steels which dominate, well, every teir with dragons. Trick is useful for rendering opposing walls useless- You're bound to see a lot of Blissey and Chansey once your opponent realizes that 1) You're not an Extremekiller and 2) Your a non-STABed special Arceus. Trick renders either threat of little to no conseqense, especially the latter, who loses their Evolite. The last choice is typicaly going to go to Shadow Ball, which removes the Psychics which are just as common as the dragons, perhaps moreso. Earth Power, however, lets you deal wtih steels that don't fear fire, such as Dialgia and Heatran. And. Yeah. EVs and Nature are obvious, yadayada. I guess you could run Expert Belt and run another coverage move over Trick. But, that kinda defeats the point of not running a elemental Arceus- the speed to outspeed and revenge the majority of the teir.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 06-11-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Thingies.

Yeah... real professional. The name suggest spam and doesn't at all fit the topic. Also, sorta wrong forum. Changing them, if you want it different, lemme know. I may or may not do as you ask.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Muchos Gracias, Loki! I've been feeling a little confused today, with my allergy attack, so I really wasn't sure what to do. ^_^
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

Who let Kin choose who does what? I thought I was the mastermind behind all of this, anyway here is your Trivia

Bulbasaur Facts
Bulbasaur, the seed Pokemon
Pokexex # 001
Height:2'04''
Weight: 15.2 lbs
Originally From: Red & Blue

Bubasaur is one of the three Starter Pokemon available at the start of Pokemon Red & Blue. As all Starter Pokemon, you have a 12.5% of getting it as a female in the beginning, and 87.5% as a male. At level 16 this Grass/Poison type Pokemon evolves into Ivysaur, and then into Venusaur at level 32. One of Bulbasuar most famous feature is the big Bulb in his back, this bulb comes from a seed planted into his back at birth by his Mother. As this Bulb grows, it makes it extremely hard for the Pokemon to stand on it's hind legs. Bulbasaur's Bulb is not a nuisance to it, but the bulb actually benefits the Pokemon. Bulbasaur's best stat(when you evolve him) is in HP, so if you want to EV train him, it would be best to do so in that stat. When Bulbasaur has just hatched, and won't stop crying, it's mother may resort to a sort of lulla by, where it rocks the baby back and forth in it's vines, and sings to it. Bulbasaur has been seen in many other games, but the most notable ones have to be in the Super Smash Bros. Series (as a item, and as a trophy), and the PokePark Wii: Pikatchu's Adventure (as an attraction chief in "Bulbasaur's Daring Dash".

Arceus Facts
I will Finish this later.

Last edited by swampert28; 06-11-2012 at 06:59 PM.
swampert28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
phoopes
Double Dragon

Swampy, make your image think less broken and screen-stretching.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
swampert28

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Swampy, make your image think less broken and screen-stretching.
you mean my Avatar, or the Bubalsaur sprite?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Bulbasaur @ Eviolite
Chlorophyll, 252 Def, 252 SpDef, 6 HP
-Sleep Powder
-Toxic
-Synthesis
-Energy Ball/Power Whip/Charm

Okay, a pretty basic set. It's just a rather simple wall. Sleep Powder lets you take a dangerous player out of the game, Toxic helps you slowly break things down, Synthesis is recovery to make sure you can outlast your opponent. The last slot will typically be your anti-taunt move; Energy Ball is the classic reliable move with a small chance of a helpful secondary effect. However, there seems to be a new trend going around of giving walls powerful moves- I guess the logic is that when a wall is attacking, it needs to hit hard. On the other hand, if you don't think a wall should be attacking at all (Lets be honest here- how often do you leave in a wall after it's taunted, even when you have an offensive attack?), you can run Charm in the last slot- makes physical attackers a total non-threat. No self-respecting player is gonna leave an attacker in to just get eaten, and keeping some sort of entry hazards down is gonna make sure they're punished for this. However, this set has two especially redeaming qualities- the first is Chlorophyl. There are amazing things a wall can do with high speed, especially this set. Sleep Powder becomes much more potent under sunlight, allowing you to outrace and remove a threat that would usually OHKO you. Synthesis shouldn't need to be explained- a speedy heal of 75% of your health? Yes please~! I guess the attacking moves would allow you to finish off an opponent which has been brought to it's knees by Toxic, but Charm would probably benifit more, allowing you to cripple an attacker before it can strike. The EVs are a little weird, since you normally want to max the HP of a wall before defenses- but this way maximizes the benifit from Evolite. I guess you could run Sunny Day in the last slot to help yourself, but I think that's more effective on an offensive set. Choose a nature that lowers the unused offensive stat and raises a defensive stat- if you don't run any offensive attacks, lower attack to reduce self-damage from confusion.
The idea here seems to be an all-purpose "mess the other guy's team up" Pokemon. You have two different status inflicting moves (Sleep Powder and Toxic), you have a stalling move (Synthesis), and you have either a chump attack move (STAB and high base power in Power Whip, less so in Energy Ball) or else yet another fuck-with-'em move in Charm. To that end, the EVs definitely seem to be invested in the right places and the hold item makes sense as well.

However, this isn't how I'd opt to use Bulbasaur myself. If I may?
Bulbasaur @ Heat Rock or Sitrus Berry
Chlorophyll, 124 Def, 252 SpAtt, 132 SpDef
-Sunny Day
-Sleep Powder
-Sludge Bomb
-SolarBeam
This is the Bulbasaur I submitted for the UPN CC League, inspired by my fearsome Venusaur that I used in the November 2011 tournament to great effect. As you already probably know, the effects of Chlorophyll in the sun are so great that you really don't need to invest any effort into Speed for Venusaur to be able to outrace the competition. Bulbasaur may be a little different if it's straight Level 100s we're talking about but in the level adjusted UPN CC League, the same general idea holds true: few things will be outracing Bulbasaur in the sun.

Sunny Day was there on the original Venusaur because I needed a way to get the sun up and didn't want to push Venusaur's problems onto anybody else. (I also didn't want Charizard to be the one sacrificially setting up sunlight for Venusaur rather than vice-versa.) But it turned out to be a really great move, having Sunny Day on Venusaur, and I'll tell you why: weather wars. When somebody switches in a Drought Politoed expecting you to run away now that you lack sunlight and then you bring it right back up with Sunny Day, all the while surviving their attack, their smile turns to a frown pretty damn quickly, let me tell you. The Venusaur I used in the tournament carried Sitrus Berry. That isn't a bad suggestion for Bulbasaur either but I liked having Heat Rock more since it lends you those nice extra three turns of sunlight.

Sleep Powder we agree on. Strictly speaking, I think it's the superior status inducing move to Toxic, but I can see why you were torn and wanted to include both. However, I feel like it's a waste of his potential to saddle him with two conflicting status moves. Yes, it opens up more options for him ... but I feel like it takes away options from him even more. If you want to talk broadening of options, which is better: two competing status moves + one damaging move? or one status move + two complimentary damaging moves?

And that's why in the last two slots we go for Bulbasaur's dual STABs. I prefer SpAtt Venusaur to Att Venusaur myself which is why you'll see SolarBeam and Sludge Bomb here instead of Power Whip and a physical poison move. It's pretty much up to you and what your team needs. In the sun, I prefer SolarBeam to Power Whip. But I usually wouldn't lead with it for the obvious drawback reason of "Well what if they bring out auto-sand or auto-rain (again)?" However, Sludge Bomb is so powerful that, barring immunity, you'll be doing some pretty nice damage. Again, this may not hold true for a Bulbasaur if you're strictly thinking all Level 100s, but if you're thinking of BST level adjusteds then it applies to Bulbasaur just as well as it does to his parent.

I don't think yours is bad by any means. I've just been really wowed by the potency of mine and would encourage anyone who hasn't tried it out before to do so. I've noticed a few people on P-O using similar concepts to my own invention in the OU bracket so I know it's OU viable.

Last edited by Talon87; 06-11-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
swampert28

I really don't see why this was moved, sure it had stuff to do with battling, but It has nothing to do with an ACTUAL team. It is just suggesting what you could do to improve a Team, or What you Should do to a Team. This thread also is to post information on Fun Facts about Pokemon, and to Show Kin and Myself's progress through our seemingly endless journey.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Thingies. Real specific.

Still haven't changed my mind on where this goes.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
swampert28

You should move it to either Misc. or just the Pokemon section (It makes sense, I don't see why you moved it)
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Why doesn't someone just rename this subforum "Competitive Battling," and then move the UPN Challenge Comp thread, UPN Tourney threads, and Competitive Battling general thread into this forum? This thread could be renamed "Moemon/Touhoumon of the Week," and then all the competitive stuff, which encompasses "Rate My Team," could be in one place.

The general Competitive Battling thread could become the chat thread for the subforum, similar to the ASB TO or bbb's suggestion box, since that's pretty much what it is anyways.

Just a suggestion.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
swampert28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Why doesn't someone just rename this subforum "Competitive Battling," and then move the UPN Challenge Comp thread, UPN Tourney threads, and Competitive Battling general thread into this forum? This thread could be renamed "Moemon/Touhoumon of the Week," and then all the competitive stuff, which encompasses "Rate My Team," could be in one place.

The general Competitive Battling thread could become the chat thread for the subforum, similar to the ASB TO or bbb's suggestion box, since that's pretty much what it is anyways.

Just a suggestion.
I like the idea, but then wouldn't the PASBl, and Fizzy Bubbles be considered "Competitive Battling"? And I would Like it if this thread will go back to where it was.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampert28 View Post
I like the idea, but then wouldn't the PASBl, and Fizzy Bubbles be considered "Competitive Battling"? And I would Like it if this thread will go back to where it was.
Except that it is not comp Swampy.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

*Walks in*
*Genii everywhere*

I'm not so good with debates, so I'll leave talk of where this should be and the like to others (Though I like Amras's idea).

@Talon: I was saving that for Venasuar. D:
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team