UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #1726
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm not particularly sure if I am qualified to give an answer like that since I'm not a PASBLer myself, but if you head over to the PASBL timeout and ask I'm sure they can help you out. Anyone can post in there and it's a pretty active thread.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #1727
Sneaze
Mrow?

>Debonair

Just pop in the Time Out and ask. I'd give you the links here but I'd care not to derail the thread and I'm on my phone so.

>Spike as a dog

I've heard this rumor and it just continues to sound as absurd as Equestria Girls did, so... given that logic, I wouldn't be surprised. As long as they manage to do it well, I won't complain.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #1728
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't really care about Spike as a dog (talking or otherwise, and I assume he'd be a talking dog, so ...). TBH, I see Spike as an incredibly sentient pet. Sort of like if you kept something halfway in between a chimpanzee and a human being as a pet, or more specifically as something halfway in between a pet and a servant.

I mean, when she got him as an egg during her test, it was kind of sort of like getting a kitten from the animal shelter or getting your first Pokémon from Professor Oak. That's how it felt to me. Not like making new friends with someone who is your social equal. Very much so like the acquisition of organic property.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #1729
Debonair
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'm not particularly sure if I am qualified to give an answer like that since I'm not a PASBLer myself, but if you head over to the PASBL timeout and ask I'm sure they can help you out. Anyone can post in there and it's a pretty active thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
>Debonair

Just pop in the Time Out and ask. I'd give you the links here but I'd care not to derail the thread and I'm on my phone so.
Oh, I thought only members could post there given what a friend told me. ^_^; Thanks, I'll check it out. Sorry to derail the thread.
affection... The clear water's surface reflects growth...
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #1730
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Spike as a dog wont bother me as long as he warms up to Rarity most of the time
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #1731
deoxys
Fog Badge

Meh, it bothers me because I've always seen Twilight as kind if a mom to Spike. It's incredibly evident in the season two episode in which he begins growing.

Spike should come out as a little kid on the other side at worst, not a damn dog. Just depreciating his character even more.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #1732
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

On the other hand, this may be just the method needed to give him fewer episodes!

I can definitely see an upside.

>Debonair

Spoiler: show
Cadance is an outlier as we don't know how old she actually is/when she became an Alicorn. What we do know is that the two Alicorns we have some backstory on have been pretty much unchanged throughout decades and have lived at minimum over a thousand years, while other ponies have not (hence why nopony remembered Luna/Nightmare Moon). It's possible other Alicorns age normally, but it's just as likely once they reach maturity they stop.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #1733
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Quote:
Meh, it bothers me because I've always seen Twilight as kind if a mom to Spike. It's incredibly evident in the season two episode in which he begins growing.

Spike should come out as a little kid on the other side at worst, not a damn dog. Just depreciating his character even more.
I agree. Spike is not, and never has been, a pet.

I think it's even more evident in "Owls Well That Ends Well", for one thing, he's sitting on Twilight's back during the meteor shower in the same scene Applebloom and Sweetie Belle are standing on Applejack and Raritys backs. Plus Scootaloo standing next to Rainbow Dash instead of on her back, coinciding with what Lauren herself said about Rainbow not being the best big sister in the world

Even more tellingly, the way Spike bursts into tears when he (mistakingly) thinks Twilight has stopped loving him. Like a kid fearing they've lost their parents love, and very similar to the way Twilight fears losing Celestia's approval

Then we have all the times we've seen Twilight tuck Spike into bed, like a little kid, and the fact that she refuses to make him stay up late.

She's his big sister, of the "promoted to parent" variety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
On the other hand, this may be just the method needed to give him fewer episodes!

I can definitely see an upside.
Do you take issue with Spike? Or just Spike getting focus episodes? Personally, I like the fact that the writers haven't forgotten about him. In a lot of other shows, a character like Spike would have faded out long before now, and the relationship he and Twi have is one of the more powerful aspects of the show
Razor Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #1734
Sneaze
Mrow?

Spike getting focus eps every now and again is a good thing for character development. Spike getting two in a single season where all of the main six get one (save Rarity who got none) is not so much.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #1735
deoxys
Fog Badge

I actually didn't mind Spike getting two episodes because he really doesn't have that many overall and I think he deserves that recognition, I'm kind of tired of seeing him as the Robin to Twilight's Batman. That said, I don't think it was wise to put two of them in a half-season. That's dumb.

Also I didn't mind because, in my opinion, Rarity episodes tend to be in the bottom half of good episodes.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #1736
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I don't mind Spike, but two episodes for him in a 13 episode season is absolutely ridiculous, especially when they screwed Rarity out of one. At least he took up one of the Merriwether spots so she didn't ruin a more important character's ep.

And Deo is wrong, Rarity is great.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #1737
deoxys
Fog Badge

Rarity is worst pone.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #1738
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Quote:
Also I didn't mind because, in my opinion, Rarity episodes tend to be in the bottom half of good episodes.
Hmm, I dunno, "Sisterhooves Special" and "Sweet and Elite" are two of my favorites, despite the former's disturbing lack of Twilight and Spike apparently not existing during the latter

Quote:
At least he took up one of the Merriwether spots so she didn't ruin a more important character's ep.

And Deo is wrong, Rarity is great.
As tired as I am of the constant Merriweather bashing, especially from the fandom of "love and tolerance" "Spike at you Service" is one of the few episodes I actually hate

Rarity IS pretty great ^_^

Umm, deoxys? I doubt Fluttershy would approve of you calling ANYONE "Worst Pony" ....especially her best friend ^_^;
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #1739
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I thought Fluttershy's best friend was Dashie?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #1740
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Raven View Post
As tired as I am of the constant Merriweather bashing, especially from the fandom of "love and tolerance" "Spike at you Service" is one of the few episodes I actually hate
It's not like I bash her because I hate her personally, or have a great desire to hate her. I bash her because she's bad at her job. I bash her because she makes Saturday mornings something to dread rather than celebrate. I bash her because makes me hate my favorite characters in my favorite show. I may not have any "love and tolerance" for Merriwether, but the main reason for that is because there's no love or tolerance in the episodes she writes, just characters acting like assholes.

And according to "Green isn't your Color" Rarity and Fluttershy are definitely besties.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #1741
deoxys
Fog Badge

Indeed, Merriwether's problem is s/he exaggerates personalities when the other writers don't, and forgetting key points in character traits. Fluttershy snapping was okay for me to be honest because I think it's been established by now that Fluttershy DOES get angry or flustered, but making her a bully was too far. Way too far.

In Hearth's Warming Eve, it can be argued she made Applejack practically loathe Pinkie for her random obnoxiousness.

In Spike at your Service, s/he made Spike drop all loyalty to Twilight like it was nothing. And don't get me started on Mare do-Well, s/he basically made every character a complete bitch in that episode and made Dash even way more unlikable at the time.

So it really isn't a matter of hating, it's a matter of this person doesn't belong writing pony episodes. S/he did a FINE job writing Adventure Time and should go back to that.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #1742
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm not so sure he did a good job with Adventure Time either. Several of the episodes he was credited with writing had Finn or Jake do annoyingly out of character things; then he quit being listed as a writer in Season 2 but was listed as an executive; and then his name just vanished from the credits completely. Not coincidentally, fans are always telling me that Adventure Time gets really good around Season 3 or 4 -- after the specter of Merriweather Williams is long gone. Coincidence?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #1743
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Merriwether Williams is a woman, just fyi.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #1744
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not my fault his parents named him after the famous male explorer of the Louisiana Purchase.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #1745
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Not my fault his parents named him after the famous male explorer of the Louisiana Purchase.
She's a woman, Talon. Merriwether is a unisex name.

>Spike and Rarity

Agreeing with Muyo on this. I like Spike, but I like every member of the mane six (especially Rarity) more.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #1746
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

I give a big review on about 9 episodes in one post, everyone ignores me. I object to the harsh treatment of one of the shows writers, THAT'S how I get people's attention D=

Quote:
It's not like I bash her because I hate her personally, or have a great desire to hate her. I bash her because she's bad at her job. I bash her because she makes Saturday mornings something to dread rather than celebrate. I bash her because makes me hate my favorite characters in my favorite show. I may not have any "love and tolerance" for Merriwether, but the main reason for that is because there's no love or tolerance in the episodes she writes, just characters acting like assholes.

And according to "Green isn't your Color" Rarity and Fluttershy are definitely besties.
Your dislike for her wouldn't bother me if it didn't seem like you bring her up out of the blue JUST to bash her, even in conversations that didn't involve her. It just seems needlessly mean-spirited, especially as I know you too well to consider you mean spirited

Quote:
Indeed, Merriwether's problem is s/he exaggerates personalities when the other writers don't, and forgetting key points in character traits. Fluttershy snapping was okay for me to be honest because I think it's been established by now that Fluttershy DOES get angry or flustered, but making her a bully was too far. Way too far.
Not arguing here, I didn't like that episode either. I think Nick can vouch for me on that

That being said, these characters have such complex personalities, they can't always display their key qaulities in every episode anyway, even by episodes not written by Merriweather

Quote:
In Hearth's Warming Eve, it can be argued she made Applejack practically loathe Pinkie for her random obnoxiousness.
It can also be argued Applejack and Pinkie Pie were ACTING, seeing as they were in a play. Daniel Radcliff and Tom Felton are good friends in real life, for example

Besides, I believe this episode is actually a Fan Favorite

Quote:
In Spike at your Service, s/he made Spike drop all loyalty to Twilight like it was nothing.
Much as I disliked that episode myself, I have to disagree on this specific point. If memory serves, Spike was conflicted. His Dragon Code (WTF?) demands he repay Applejack. He was reluctant to leave Twilight, and was visibly sad when she seemed okay with it (Unaware she's too distracted to realize what he's saying). He was reluctant to leave Twilight, only did so due to an unbreakable code of honor, and was thrilled to return to Twilight

Quote:
And don't get me started on Mare do-Well, s/he basically made every character a complete bitch in that episode and made Dash even way more unlikable at the time.
While I agree the path the Mane Six took is questionable, I don't recall anyone actually being an asshole onscreen sans Rainbow Dash, and she started out the episode fine, let the fame go to her head, went from Jerkass to Jerkass Woobie when the town starts ignoring her, and ended the episode on a positive note. First, actually pausing to listen to her friends when she realized THEY were Mare-Do-Well, then ADMITTING she was wrong and wanting to write the letter herself to express what she learned rather then letting Spike do it for her

As for the rest of the Mane Six, I've heard arguements in their favor over this

So while there IS truth to what you say, it is not the WHOLE truth. If she had been an ass from the very start and never learned her lesson, I'd agree with you

Quote:
So it really isn't a matter of hating, it's a matter of this person doesn't belong writing pony episodes. S/he did a FINE job writing Adventure Time and should go back to that.
Again, people not liking her episodes wouldn't bother me if people could be civil about it. I just have this issue with people's feelings being hurt so I try my best not to be overly harsh if I must criticize. I don't always succeed, but I TRY

To be honest, I haven't been impressed with an episode since "Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000", so most of Merriweather's episodes are surrounded by episodes I wasn't thrilled with anyway, so I have a hard time seeing people's point on this

Maybe it's because of all the character focus episodes that leave out half the main characters

It's not like she's the only one who has ever written a bad episode, hell, most of the episodes I really dislike weren't written by her. In fact, most of them were written by Amy Keating Rogers, including my LEAST favorite episode

I know I once said I loved "Canterlot Wedding", but I have since changed my mind
Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #1747
deoxys
Fog Badge

MUSIC M-M-M-MEGAPOST!

So you've heard about this thing called fan music, and you hear it's pretty great, but you don't know where to start looking? What's that? You say there is just way too much damn music from the fandom now that it's just not worth looking for? HAVE NO FEAR! Today I will introduce you to the best pieces of music by some of the most known musicians, as well as a few from not so well known.

But what genre is it? Well, most of it is electronic, however, there are a few exceptions; metal, rock, even hip hop and country has emerged. Instead of talking about it, perhaps it would be best to just dive right in.

Key:

T: - Twilight-centric
F: - Fluttershy-centric
RD: - Rainbow Dash-centric
AJ: - Applejack-centric
PP: - Pinkie Pie-centric
R: - Rarity-centric
CMC: - CMC-centric
P: - Celestia, Luna, Cadance
BG: - Background Pony (Derpy, Doctor Whooves, Lyra, Bonbon, etc.)

Anything else is miscellaneous or features a group.

THE SHOW

Obviously the show is where most of the music stems from, and a good handful of that from the show's music itself, created by Daniel Ingram. While I'm not going to list all of the music from the show, due to a lot of it being short bits, I will list the long and key songs here in chronological order:

THE FANS

Here's a *COUGH* simple *COUGH* introduction to the fan music. Most of the songs here are the most popular and well known, but a few of these are a few of the more lesser known ones that are still good. Most have a download link attached.

Spoiler: show
Alex S. - EDM

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Theme (Glitch Remix) - Glitch

BG: Trixie the Pony Troll - Variation in Production Version - EDM

PP: Party with Pinkie - Variation in Production Version* - EDM / Electro

CMC: Ultimate Sweetie Belle* - Glitch / Dubstep

The Living Tombstone - Electro Rock

September (feat. Mic the Mic and PinkieSkye) - Story / Techno

BG: Stuck in Time (feat. Bronyfied) - Punk (?), Rock

Tons of remixes next to their appropriate root songs elsewhere in this post

WoodenToaster - House / Electro

PP: Pinkie's Lie - (often considered one of the first 'big' fan songs) - EDM

PP: General Mumble - She's A Pony [WoodenToaster Remix] (Remix of 'Grand Galloping Gala' and 'He's a Pirate [Pirates of the Caribbean] - Techno

P: Nightmare Night (feat. Mic the Mic) - Rap / Electro

BG: Love Me, Cheerilee (feat. The Living Tombstone) - Light Techstep

BG: Fruits of Her Labour (feat. StormWolf)* - Electro / Eurobeat

P: Lost on the Moon (feat. Tombstone and Rina-chan)* - Drum & Bass

Rainbow Factory* - Orchstep / Grimdark

BG: Beyond Her Garden - Techno - Remix feat. Mic the Mic, Tombstone, iBringDaLULZ - Rap / Electro

MandoPony - Rock, Acoustic, Country (note: Mando played a small bit of background music in the S3 finale. He is also dating one of the show's animators.)

AJ: With a Sister - Country

T: So Much Left to Know - Broadway / Musical

AJ: Sweet Apple Acres* - Country rock

BG: The Adventures of Daring Do - Orchestral / Soundtrack

RD: Loyalty (feat. Acoustic Brony) - Alternative Rock

h8_Seed - Electronic

Neverending Strife* - Hardstyle / Electrostep

Daring Mare - Techno

Petrified (feat. Mic the Mic)* - Rap / Techstep

Manticore - Drum & Bass

Spiteful Sprites - Drum & Bass / Techno

Too Many Heads - Drum & Bass / Electro

R: The Pickup* - House

Awoken (feat. WoodenToaster)* - Upbeat Techno / Electronic

PinkiePieSwear - Trance

AJ: PinkiePieSwear - Sunshine and Celery Stalks - Trance

F: PinkiePieSwear - Flutterwonder - Trance

BG: PinkiePieSwear - Trixie's Good Side - Trance

F: PinkiePieSwear - Hush Now Quiet Now (Lucid Dream Mix) - Trance

R: Art of the Dress (Always Stressed Mix) - Trance

T: B.B.B.F.F. (Regret is Forever Mix) - Trance

Sim Gretina - Misc. genres

AJ: Raise This Barn (Remix) - Square Dance / Electronic

R: Art of the Dress (Remix) - Hard Trance / Dance

P: This Day Aria (Remix) - Electro

P: Celestia's Ballad (Remix) - Trance / Lounge

A True True Friend (Remix) - House

T: Wings (feat. Living Tombstone & Eile Monty) - Rock

BG: Allons-y - Techno / Club - Cubex Remix [Sim Gretina Remix]

Trixie's Trix

SoGreatAndPowerful - Intelligent Dance (IDM) / Electric Lounge / Piano

F: PinkiePieSwear - Flutterwonder (Remix)

T: Your Faithful Student

R: A Beautiful Heart*

PP: Pinkie Pie Swear

RD: In History, Maybe

AJ: On My Own*

The Standard Model

Miscellaneous

PP: Assertive Fluttershy - Boooring!* - Hard Trance / Dubstep

T: Michael A. & Whitetail - Prominence* - House / Club EDM

RD: Omnipony - Dragon's Greed - Clubstep

T: Omnipony - Time is Running Out - Electro

Jackle App & Mic the Mic - One Trick Pony - Hip Hop - Living Tombstone Remix* - Rap / Electroswing

BG: Jackle App - Summer (Lyra & Bon-Bon)* - Mellow / Electronic / Lounge

PP: Jackle App - You Gotta Glitch* - Glitch

BG: Jackle App - Autumn (Derpy Hooves)

Makkon - Dregs - Orchestral / Drum & Bass

T: Tei the Pony - Twilight's New Stockings - Glitch / House

BG: Aviators (feat. Yelling at Cats & d.notive) - Never Back Down - Electronic - ThatSonOfAMitch Remix

P: Eurobeat Brony - Luna - Eurobeat - Alex S. Remix

Eurobeat Brony - Discord* - Eurobeat - The Living Tombstone Remix* - For Orchestra Remix

PP: Sherclop Pones - Pinkie's Brew - Showtune - Russian Jazz cover by Mic the Mic - Saxaphone Cover

PP: Sherclop Pones - Gypsy Bard - Showtune

Swagberg ft. Maros - Pony Swag - Rap / Hip Hop (Explicit)

Balloon Party

Balloon Party, After Party, and Apple 2012 - Three albums by the most popular musicians, but all three are primarily heavy dubstep with the odd exception of a few metal and rock songs.

Balloon Party 2: Rainbow and Rooted - Four's Fall Down is due out June 4th

Other musicians to look into not mentioned here / mentioned much include Silva Hound, ArtAttack, Bronyfied, Acoustic Brony, Aviators, iBringDaLULZ, StormWolf, Icky, ThatSonOfAMitch, Tarby, General Mumble, Jeff Burgess, AllLevelsAtOnce and many more.

Songs with a * next to them are my personal favorites

Gonna stick this in the OP too. Hopefully I piqued someone's curiosity with this, so enjoy!

Last edited by deoxys; 03-12-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #1748
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

HUZZAH I WON

http://enter-play.com/MLP/

the words:

CONGRATULATIONS
The code you entered matches the winning code for an authentic:
AUTOGRAPH CARD BY A MY LITTLE PONY VOICE ACTOR!
See official rules to redeem your prize!

dont know what I get till they send it to me after I mail in the card. Ill post a pic later
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #1749
deoxys
Fog Badge

BORKED
Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #1750
deoxys
Fog Badge

You may have heard MLP: FiM is being dubbed in Japanese and it is being REALLY pushed over there right now.

I kid you not, this is the ending theme:

BORKED

http://www.tokyohive.com/2013/03/hkt...ship-is-magic/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment