UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Torkoal Stu
This

Orange Is The New Black

Orange Is The New Black is a TV series commissioned by and distributed via Netflix. I had never ever heard of it before the other day, but then my boyfriend sat me down and was like 'you have to watch this' and then I ended up watching like 4 or 5 in a row. I just finished the first series this morning, and man it is awesome. Like when I read about the plot I really wasn't too fussed, but it has a way of really quickly winning you over.

Its set in an all-women prison, and is loosely based off the memoir (of the same name) by Piper Kerman. This article goes into more depth about Piper Kerman's involvement in the show and her real life experiences versus what happens in the TV series. From what I've heard via reviews is that the book is totally self-righteous and vapid, but I guess that's neither here nor there.

The series has really powerful characters and an extremely varied cast, it can be a little tricky to get a handle for all the characters right at the beginning (because there are so many) but as the episodes go on you quickly get to grips with most of the ladies and their various character traits. It also has very well crafted plots and well charted character arcs and development, as well as some amazing acting talent. It also has the right amounts of humour, emotion and hard hitting seriousness in all the right places. And it's been renewed for a second series! Yay~

And I just finished the first series and really want to talk about it. So any other fans out there by any chance?

If not I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, it's so good~
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What is meant by the title? That orange is sexy and chic? That orange is versatile and goes with just about anything? That orange is commonplace? Something else?

Kate Mulgrew is in this. Ha. That must've been interesting. Is her character interesting?

Oh, and Wikipedia has this to add:

Quote:
Orange Is the New Black generated more viewers and hours viewed in its first week than either of the other high profile Netflix original series, House of Cards and Arrested Development.
So there's that.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
What is meant by the title? That orange is sexy and chic? That orange is versatile and goes with just about anything? That orange is commonplace? Something else?
Well an important part of the show/book is that the main character is white, blonde, pretty and middle class in a prison with people she is 'different' from. Mainly because they're from rougher backgrounds, different ethnic groups and such, and she's really shallow (or at least is in flashbacks of her life before prison). So she's the kind of woman who would be likely to use the expression 'so and so is the new black' to describe the new and current fashion, so I assumed the title was to highlight how out of place this woman is in prison with all these women. And I guess because now she's going from her high style life to having to wear an orange jumpsuit, so for her orange really is the new black.

But I might be wrong, and there might be some clever deeper meaning behind it. I have quite limited understanding of her life/experiences outside of what I've read around the series.

Quote:
Kate Mulgrew is in this. Ha. That must've been interesting. Is her character interesting?
Her character is one of the most important ones actually and probably one of my favourites, she gets a lot of focus.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

If I liked Community, will I like this?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Torkoal Stu
This

I don't know I never watched Community D:
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Mercutio
Banned

When I get a TV or a desire to watch things online I may pick this up.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
When I get a TV or a desire to watch things online I may pick this up.
You should!

It has lesbians!*

*I wasn't even just saying that as a lie to entice Kush, it actually does have lesbians...
Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The show is pretty good, not super amazing, but good.

Kate Mulgrew is pretty good in this show. She definitely seems to be much better written than her role on Voyager.

But yeah, one of the things which is said in the interview with Kerman is that the show seems to exaggerate prison characters. Like how JJ Abrams exaggerated traits of the Star Trek characters for his movies. It's not extremely off putting, but it can at times feel fake.

So far out of all the Netflix series, I rate is as such: House of Cards > Orange is the new Black > Arrested Development (Not that it's bad, but the season was pretty weak compared to its run on Fox and the other Netflix series). No opinion on Hemlock Grove since I didn't see it, nor am I interested.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
If I liked Community, will I like this?
This show is nothing like Community and I'm not sure where you got the comparison xd

I think it's pretty great, personally; it's very character driven and gives you a really interesting impression of what it is actually like to be in jail and the complications it creates. Most people probably don't really realize that the world doesn't just stop when you're in jail and pick back up when you get out. Orange is the New Black puts that into perspective.

It also speaks pretty well to the sad lives of petty criminals and the circle of poverty that the correctional system only helps to enforce.

I think it's worth watching, personally, even if it were only to see Kate Mulgrew acting again.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
This show is nothing like Community and I'm not sure where you got the comparison xd
I don't watch much TV, but if something is recommended enthusiastically enough I'll pick up box sets at Best Buy. So far I have (and liked) Supernatural, Sherlock, and Community. Obviously this is nothing like Supernatural or Sherlock so Community is my closest reference point.

Under the Dome is just about the only thing I'll watch live because I know when it's on and it fits comfortably into my personal schedule. But even then, Amazon Prime carries it so I don't care about missing it - speaks for most TV, really, which would explain why I barely bother.

I love character-oriented stories and may go to pick this up. Is it British or is it an American show? /neverheardofkatemulgrew
Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
American. I like the show quite a bit, but I'm not really fond of the main. I'm only six episode in, though, so that could change.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
You should!

It has lesbians!*

*I wasn't even just saying that as a lie to entice Kush, it actually does have lesbians...
It's set in a women's prison, I automatically assumed it would have lesbians.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
Torkoal Stu
This

Oops I totally forgot I started this thread~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The show is pretty good, not super amazing, but good.

Kate Mulgrew is pretty good in this show. She definitely seems to be much better written than her role on Voyager.

But yeah, one of the things which is said in the interview with Kerman is that the show seems to exaggerate prison characters. Like how JJ Abrams exaggerated traits of the Star Trek characters for his movies. It's not extremely off putting, but it can at times feel fake.

So far out of all the Netflix series, I rate is as such: House of Cards > Orange is the new Black > Arrested Development (Not that it's bad, but the season was pretty weak compared to its run on Fox and the other Netflix series). No opinion on Hemlock Grove since I didn't see it, nor am I interested.
This is a fair point, a few of the characters do almost feel like caricatures of people. But then there are enough well crafted characters I'd say to balance that. But maybe that's just me? Totally justified criticism though.

I keep meaning to watch House Of Cards, but I've only heard very mixed things so I was a bit apprehensive but maybe I just need to take the plunge.

Quote:

I think it's pretty great, personally; it's very character driven and gives you a really interesting impression of what it is actually like to be in jail and the complications it creates. Most people probably don't really realize that the world doesn't just stop when you're in jail and pick back up when you get out. Orange is the New Black puts that into perspective.

It also speaks pretty well to the sad lives of petty criminals and the circle of poverty that the correctional system only helps to enforce.

I think it's worth watching, personally, even if it were only to see Kate Mulgrew acting again.
I had a feeling you'd like this show Jeri!

And very true. One of the things I like a lot about the show is that it shows the contrast of the outside lives of the jailmates and the new lives they've created for them in the prison, particularly shown with Red if you compare her flashbacks of her old life to the position she holds in the prison. Furthermore I enjoyed how it touched upon (very briefly though) that even when you some of the jailmates get out of the prison they have nowhere to go, no jobs/money/houses. Like you said it really puts something in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
American. I like the show quite a bit, but I'm not really fond of the main. I'm only six episode in, though, so that could change.
I think the main character is quite unlikeable, but I also think in a way that is a rather important point in the show's plot. Especially towards the end of the season.

Quote:
It's set in a women's prison, I automatically assumed it would have lesbians.
Then when your MA is finished I expect you to check it out!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Okay, I totally need to get down to watching this eventually. I've seen it show up on Netflix a lot, but I'm usually watching a lot of Buffyverse so. Still, Definitely need to look into this.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
I keep meaning to watch House Of Cards, but I've only heard very mixed things so I was a bit apprehensive but maybe I just need to take the plunge.
I'm watching this right now, the acting is top notch and the show's plot is brilliant. It's not exactly realistic of course (at least I don't think it is), but watching the main character as this shadowy, power hungry man hellbent on getting vengeance as he plays a political game of chess is seriously enthralling. It's odd because he's very much an anti-hero, but also the amin protagonist, and, while someone you would normally feel repulsed by as a politician, you can't help but root for him in the show, despite how dark he is, just because of how well he plays the game. And no, that doesn't spoil anything, trust me, that all unveils within the first fifteen minutes.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #16
Torkoal Stu
This

So Season 2 is out there if anyone watches this/has picked it up since I posted this thread last year. The only downside of Netflix releasing an entire season in one go is that everyone watches it at different speeds so it's hard to find anyone to talk to about it without them being ahead/behind you xd;

Some really vague semi-spoilerly thoughts (I've only watched the first four episodes):

Spoiler: show

As I've only watched the first four episodes I haven't formed an entire opinion yet but episode four was definitely my favourite so far. I was genuinely shocked at the flashback sequence.

And the end of episode one was pretty intense, I really enjoyed the way they set up episode one because it just felt really out of the blue.

I'm glad Taystee and Poussey are getting more spotlight, they're fantastic together The only character I'm missing so far is Miss Claudette, and I feel Sophia hasn't had much to do yet, but I'm sure that'll change.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I finished Season 2 two days ago lol.

I'll give my impressions a little later but overall I thought it was pretty solid!

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
Mercutio
Banned

It seems to me that what Netflix is actually doing is killing the television series. Everyone is just binge watching this show around here.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #19
Loki

Well, Netflix runs on the whole concept of "During your own time, at your own pace," mentality since their DVD days. Unfortunately with their own shows, they've been giving it to us all in one shot and they've been so popular, everyone ends up binging on them.

I still need to finish House of Cards before I think about this though.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #20
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
I finished Season 2 two days ago lol.

I'll give my impressions a little later but overall I thought it was pretty solid!
I'm excited for your views then!

But I'll read them when I finish the series I avoid spoilers!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #21
sweetbbydoll
Kawaii ~

Quote:
It seems to me that what Netflix is actually doing is killing the television series. Everyone is just binge watching this show around here.
Its horrible but true, especially if you are anywhere on social media, binge watching is usually the thing to do so you dont get spoiled else where.. I finished the 2nd season in five days? And I loved it but now I have to wait to watch the 3rd...
sweetbbydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #22
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
This show is flippin fantastic and I love it. I actually think binge watching it is the only way to do it. Probably going to watch it again some time this summer.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
Loki

I finished the new season just recently. I somewhat limited myself to about 2 episodes a day, but DVRs have been killing television long before Netflix started it.

Season 2 has been overall better at everything than season 1.

LEGIT SPOILERS, DON'T READ UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN THE NEW SEASON!
Overall the shift away from Piper and more into all the characters like Red's crew, Vee's crew, Gloria's crew was a bit better. I know Piper is main character, but at times you get sick of Piper and find everyone else more interesting.

Brook was a nice mirror for Piper. The fresh face chatterbox was a great way to show Piper's growth.

Vee was an excellent addition to the series. While Red and Gloria was the rivalry at the end of last season, it felt small. It was simply the fact that Red lost her kitchen and not so much anything big. Vee added a bigger criminal element to scene with her smuggling of tobacco and then drugs. This kind of upped the stakes and put a bit more drama into the series. Gloria still pushed her weight around with the Hispanics and Red clearly had to rebuild from scratch, but Vee was legitimately shown as criminal in every way and deserved to be in prison. This was all much more dramatic and powerful than Pentucky's crazy homo-phobia from last season.

The ending of the new season was over the top hilarious and amazing. I both laughed and cheered at that ending. It was a nice uplifting end to what was a rather dark time.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #24
Torkoal Stu
This

I finally finished too but I'm glad I watched it slowly so I could really soak it all in~

Spoiler warning and such!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Season 2 has been overall better at everything than season 1.
I agree!

I think the decreased role of Alex helped shift the show from "Piper's life in prison" to "here's some people in prison", which worked rather well.

Quote:
Overall the shift away from Piper and more into all the characters like Red's crew, Vee's crew, Gloria's crew was a bit better. I know Piper is main character, but at times you get sick of Piper and find everyone else more interesting.

Brook was a nice mirror for Piper. The fresh face chatterbox was a great way to show Piper's growth.

Vee was an excellent addition to the series. While Red and Gloria was the rivalry at the end of last season, it felt small. It was simply the fact that Red lost her kitchen and not so much anything big. Vee added a bigger criminal element to scene with her smuggling of tobacco and then drugs. This kind of upped the stakes and put a bit more drama into the series. Gloria still pushed her weight around with the Hispanics and Red clearly had to rebuild from scratch, but Vee was legitimately shown as criminal in every way and deserved to be in prison. This was all much more dramatic and powerful than Pentucky's crazy homo-phobia from last season.

The ending of the new season was over the top hilarious and amazing. I both laughed and cheered at that ending. It was a nice uplifting end to what was a rather dark time.
The final scene took me by surprise considering how fleshed out and focused Vee's characfter was this season. But it was really fitting to be honest.

Morello was the surprise highlight for this season for me, and I'm glad they held back her backstory for so long because it was worth it. It definitely took me by surprise, like we all knew there was something not right there about and her and Christopher but everything about it was so perfect. Plus that scene when Christopher comes to the prison was heartbreaking.

I only have two real disappointments with the season. Firstly the underuse of Sophia (like what did she even do this entire season?!). And secondly I feel like Larry needs to go, like he made sense when there was a massive focus on Piper, but now we're moving onto a more balanced view I feel like he doesn't fit in. At times I felt his scenes just slowed the episode down, or felt unnecessary. He just seems like dead weight to me now. Except the episode where Piper had furlough, because he served a decent dramatic purpose there.

Now a year's wait until Season 3 xd;
Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
Loki

Frozen is the new black.
BORKED
Link

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment