UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #26
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
I'd light the Gr signal but he already saw this thread. He loves board and tabletop games.

As for me? Uh... this is not for me at all.
Wood for Sheep, Kuno?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #27
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Games Workshop does make some other spinoffy type games that were actually a lot of fun (and much quicker to play than 40k). Gorkamorka, Necromunda and Warhammer Quest are all really decent- though I liked Necromunda best. You get a bit of the 40k experience but with a small gang instead of with an army. The price difference between a dozen miniatures and fifty+vehicles and such can really take your breath away.
Don't forget Blood Bowl.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #28
GrJackass
Night Man

so are those warhammer games like the tabletop game? i was thinking of grabbing it

edit: the warhammer games i see for the xbox*

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”

Last edited by GrJackass; 09-08-2011 at 04:22 PM.
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #29
GrJackass
Night Man

http://www.catan.com/electronic-games/playcatan.html - catan online
http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride-online/en/ - ticket online
http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Spiele/...lag/?nation=en - Powergrid online
http://dominion.isotropic.org/faq/ - Dominion Online

now i was certain there was an online version of Bang! since there's an ipad version floating about.

but yea, lemme know when you guys wanna play

edit: dont bother playing powergrid with random people online, they're super competative and worked out everything mathimatically >.>

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #30
deoxys
Fog Badge

When I get a chance, I'm going to check out those sites.. I'd very much be interested in a UPN online board game group for Dominion and Catan especially.

I looked up Bang! Online, but because there is a paid version now, the free one was shut down by the publisher =/
Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #31
GrJackass
Night Man

any one up for anything tonight?
ill check back in 40 min to see who's flagged up

Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #32
GrJackass
Night Man

i was saying boo-urns

Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #33
GrJackass
Night Man

its time /draws face paint on

Old 09-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #34
deoxys
Fog Badge

Man. I totally would have. Was out with friends after a long day at work. I'm free tomorrow, though. Er, today now. Same. My work schedule is rather all over the place... and it's almost always going to be from early evening until 1 AM EST, every night.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #35
GrJackass
Night Man

coolio, im game, if anyone wants to join in IM me ... its GrJackass

(im so creative i know)

Old 11-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #36
Roglef
Thunder Badge

MUNCHKIN is wonderful!!!! I also play too much MTG myself. Dominion is wonderful as well, if a bit expensive. I've been wanting to play Catan, so it is cool that they have an online version. If you guys want to play any Dominion of Catan online at some point, I'd be down.

Roglef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #37
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
I love board games, but never really get a chance to play them. When I was at AIT in the Army pulling 12 hour CQ shifts at night (think doorman, you just sit there in case someone comes in and answer phones, etc), and we'd usually order a pizza and play Risk or something to kill time. I also (fairly) recently got into D&D, and I've been in a Pathfinder campaign and a 4th ed. campaign that were both really fun.

I've been dying to try the Call of Cthulhu board games you can get from Barnes & Nobles, but haven't had the spare cash or time to pick them up yet.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #38
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
I've been dying to try the Call of Cthulhu board games you can get from Barnes & Nobles, but haven't had the spare cash or time to pick them up yet.
If you can play test the games before paying for them, I would recommend it. They're not for everyone, and I mean that in all the different possible permutations. For instance, I personally don't care for Arkham Horror. Played it once and that was one time too many. So when my friend bought Mansions of Madness I was skeptical. But I love Mansions of Madness. I've played it four times now and I've enjoyed it each time.

In Mansions of Madness, there are five different core stories (so at least your first five playthroughs will be relatively novel) and each of these has around three different possible endings (and thus three different possible substories). To give an example from a game we played recently (but I'll alter the details so as to not spoil people): imagine if one of the five core stories starts off with the premise that you get a letter from your old professor, Samuel Oak, and he's written asking you to come and save him from this mysterious Pokemon he was investigating. The different possible outcomes for that specific story include (a) Samuel Oak was the terrible Pokemon! , (b) Oak was fed to Groudon by a group of cultists who plan to feed you to Groudon too if you're not careful!, or (c) Oak was killed by an unknown force (which turns out to be Giratina) and you can feel it hunting you. So like, yeah. It's not too much of a stretch to say that there are as many as fifteen unique stories in the game, but at the bare minimum there are five.

The point I'm making here is, I loved the one Cthulhu Mythos boardgame (Mansions of Madness) but I disliked the other one (Arkham Horror). My friend who owns the games likes both and I think he actually prefers Arkham Horror. Another friend of ours agrees with me (likes MoM, dislikes AH). Another friend has the opposite sentiment (likes AH, dislikes MoM). And finally, I'm sure you might find someone who hates both games because there are some things that both games have in common. One is how easy it is for the players to lose. A second is just how many tokens, decks of cards, and turn phases there are in each game. It can get real confusing. Mansions of Madness will take inexperienced players at least one hour just to set up (not joking) and Arkham Horror will take even longer just to figure out the rules and how turns work. They're games that are best explored with an experienced hand at the helm. But if you have to buy them cold turkey and be the one in your group who takes that bold plunge, my recommendation would be to open the box at home, read the rules yourself, play a game of solitaire with yourself, and then organize a game night session with friends. I can promise you you'll risk losing their interest if you try and figure out the game with them together on game night.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #39
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
If you can play test the games before paying for them, I would recommend it. They're not for everyone, and I mean that in all the different possible permutations. For instance, I personally don't care for Arkham Horror. Played it once and that was one time too many. So when my friend bought Mansions of Madness I was skeptical. But I love Mansions of Madness. I've played it four times now and I've enjoyed it each time.
I'll definitely see if I can try 'em out before buying, thanks! But yeah, the ease of losing a CoC game doesn't bother me, really. I adore the Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth video game, despite it's relatively high difficulty. That was always the kicker for me, and the reason Lovecraft's always been my favorite author- I love experiencing the world and the mythos, I have very little realistic hope of surviving it, if you follow.

But still, thanks for the tip and I'll make sure to get a feel for both of them before I lay down $50+ on a game I might end up resenting.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #40
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

I don't play table tops since I have no one around me that play but I know something that would be of interest to you guys. Wil Wheaton hosts a youtube series called Table Top that has random geek world celebrities and personalities come on to play a new game every week. It's like watching a game get play tested and seeing if you will like it. I find it hit or miss. Wil can get a little full of himself sometimes and if you don't know the guests it can seem a little boring but for the most part, watching the game get played is pretty fun and makes me interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QtdiRJYro
Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #41
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kori Gotcha View Post
I don't play table tops since I have no one around me that play but I know something that would be of interest to you guys. Wil Wheaton hosts a youtube series called Table Top that has random geek world celebrities and personalities come on to play a new game every week.
Definitely check out the Castle Panic episode if you haven't seen it, it's probably my favorite.

Also worth looking at are his PAX celebrity D&D sessions, which are DMed by Chris Perkins.

(Also yeah, it's nice to know what Wil's been up to.)

((Edit: Oookay last post for a while, sorry guys x.x Got kinda carried away))

Last edited by tau; 08-27-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #42
Patches
Shake it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kori Gotcha View Post
Wil Wheaton hosts a youtube series called Table Top that has random geek world celebrities and personalities come on to play a new game every week.
This definitely.

Before I started watching his series I was playing a ton of Magic the Gathering (<3 my black and white deck) and on and off Dungeons and Dragons. He has a lot of interesting games, I ended up buying Small World (mainly because I love Day[9] and he was on that episode which was also the first episode) and Munchkins along with an expansion because of him and my friends love them. I even took a crappy cell phone picture of the first time playing.

He brings on a lot of games that I wouldn't want to play but if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have those and I still watch them weekly so I definitely like his show.

Last edited by Patches; 10-01-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #43
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
Anyone play 40,000? I actually want to get into it, but I do not know if there is any support for it here in Panama. I have a couple of friends who have played it when they lived abroad, and they tell me it was amazing.

// PASBL // Wild Future //
KratosAurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #44
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

How much money do you have to throw away? Is it a lot? If not, it's probably not for you.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #45
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I've been playing DnD for about 3 weeks now =O pretty fun, yo.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #46
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
How much money do you have to throw away? Is it a lot? If not, it's probably not for you.
I have a friend that plays and he told me that if I want to get into it, I'm going to have to have $500 of throwaway money to get a good set. Screw that!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #47
Sneaze
Mrow?

>$500 for a good set

...define "good"

For a set that'll get you capable of playing high level, it'll cost at least 1K. And of course you'll need to know the ins and outs of everything about whatever you plan to play prior to purchase.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #48
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Also keep in mind that that's to get started. There are always new units coming out which suddenly need countering, which means even if your army isn't being updated that you're going to need new figures to counter the new things that your buddies are getting. The painting is fun, the game itself can be fun and hanging out with your buddies is fun- but there are much cheaper ways to do all three.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #49
tau
Cascade Badge

I'm sure most of you know about this- it may have been brought up previously, but I haven't seen it, so apologies if this is basically a repost- but I'd like to share my favorite "Gaming story I heard about, you HAVE to read this" tale of all time.

The Tale of Old Man Henderson

Preview: Spoiler contains the very image of the hero of the tale.

Spoiler: show

Edit: The game is a modern-setting Call of Cthulhu campaign.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #50
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
>$500 for a good set

...define "good"

For a set that'll get you capable of playing high level, it'll cost at least 1K. And of course you'll need to know the ins and outs of everything about whatever you plan to play prior to purchase.

Oh! Ok! $1000. That's different!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment