UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

First Pokémon Episode

While most of us are on a trip down video game Memory Lane, why don't we also take a look back at the show that swept the nation? What was the very first episode of the Pokémon animé that you saw? What were your impressions of it? Were you introduced to the cartoon or the games first, and did one influence your interest in the other?

For me, the very first episode I watched was "Showdown in Pewter City," where Ash battles Brock for the Boulder Badge. I'd heard all the hype from my classmates in elementary school, and so finally decided to settle down and see what the fuss was about. Needless to say I was confused but also entranced. I remember feeling immensely proud at being able to correctly guess "Onix" to "Who's That Pokémon?" on my very first try.

My older brother had a stranger experience: The first episode he watched was "Ditto's Mysterious Mansion". Seeing doubles of all the characters was even more bewildering to him, as he wasn't even sure who were the main ones in the first place. XD
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I knew about Pokemon before it started airing, but where I lived they didn't start showing it until Viridian forest where he fought Team Rocket one of his first few times.

I got Pokemon in NY in August. Apparently it sold in NY and Cali during the summer of '98 before anywhere else in the nation. Which explained a lot because when I moved to NC that summer nobody had any idea what the fuck Pokemon was and I was super obsessed lol.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

My first episode was A Chansey Operation! - it wasn't my first exposure to Pokemon but one of my earliest and one of the cementing factors in my getting into it. I remember it pretty fondly though never saw the whole thing until much, much later.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I think it was the first episode for me, but I'm not entirely sure, I was only like six or seven so my memory is really shitty. Certainly I don't remember ever watching any out of order and getting confused, and I remember seeing the first episode (think it aired in order here unlike the States, you guys got Battle Aboard St Anne first right?) Whenever it first started airing in the UK, anyway. I remember me and this one other guy in my school being really into it and no-one else having a clue about it at the start.

Last edited by Concept; 03-02-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The first episode I saw was the one where Ash & Co. went to the Pokemon prep school which has practice simulators, which was actually just the Pokemon video game. Anyway, Cubone threw a his bone at Pikachu's face and then Ash made Pikachu do weird stuff to win. BTW, the prep school girl was super hawt.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The first episode I ever saw was the first US airing of Battle Aboard the S.S. Anne back in September of '98. I used to watch re-runs of DuckTales on UPN 23 after coming home from school. Starting in August, UPN 23 began to air Pokémon right before DuckTales. So I'd seen commercials for the show multiple times -- I remember in particular James and Jessie riding down the slope of Mt. Moon with the meteorite in their clutches (hey look, I found it! ) -- but I hadn't seen the show itself until September when I just happened to catch it from the very beginning and, intrigued, decided to watch it.

I don't remember specifically what I felt or thought about the episode at the time other than general things like "Hey, it's Japanimation," or "Wow, this animation reminds me of SuperBook's."

But I do know that I liked it: because when they talk about Pokemania, they're not kidding! The very next day was my orthodontist appointment, y'see, and I remember pleading with my mom to let me finish the episode Pokémon Shipwreck and then we could go -- or else to reschedule, even! Suffice to say, she was not amused by my juvenile tantrum and told me to get in the car or else.

Next day? I made sure to come home lickity-split quick. And what do I get to see? Island of the Giant Pokémon. Prime television.

And so, only four days into the fandom, starting with Tentacool and Tentacruel I began what would become a four-year period of recording every Pokemon episode to EP (6 hour) VHS cassette tapes.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The first episode I saw was "The Battling Eevee Brothers" on Channel 8, which ran Buena Vista and Nelvana logos after each episode. I saw it on my old, small analog TV that had awful reception, most likely immediately after school (~3:21 PM). The Snorlax episode and the Exeggutor one came immediately after that, and then Pokemon looped back to episode one, so in a sense I wasn't spoiled very much, since I was fortunate enough to not jump into the show half-way. This was sometime in 1999.

I don't remember the day, but I remember September 30, 2000 (which aired an episode of Ash after returning to Pallet Town (I distinctly remember Professor Oak in it) because it was the day my fish died. It was a tragic day because whenever my fish would look languid, I'd stomp the ground around his tank and he'd resume swimming. Well, I can testify that I stomped, and I stomped, and I stomped until tears ran down my face, and he didn't move again.

T_T
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

My first ep was Primeape goes bananas, and it was awesome. Still probably my favorite ep- it had evolution, humor, the hat and Ash captured a pokemon. Hard to ask for more, really.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It also had the pinnacle of bad 4Kids dubbing: Brock's beloved "jelly donuts." I suppose that falls under humor?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Assuming you mean they changed rice balls to be jelly donuts, so what? So they changed something to match a cultural difference, big deal - it's not like it had any impact whatsoever.

If you want to get pissed off over dub edits, go for everything they ever changed that made AshxMisty shippers convinced they're right. Lord I hate rabid shippers.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Reeeeeeowr!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Assuming you mean they changed rice balls to be jelly donuts, so what? So they changed something to match a cultural difference, big deal - it's not like it had any impact whatsoever.

If you want to get pissed off over dub edits, go for everything they ever changed that made AshxMisty shippers convinced they're right. Lord I hate rabid shippers.
I think the problem was that they didn't change rice balls into jelly donuts- they called rice balls jelly donuts. I think.

Also, lol at rabid shippers. *whips foam off mouth*

Quote:
The first episode I saw was the one where Ash & Co. went to the Pokemon prep school which has practice simulators, which was actually just the Pokemon video game. Anyway, Cubone threw a his bone at Pikachu's face and then Ash made Pikachu do weird stuff to win. BTW, the prep school girl was super hawt.
Dude, I have that episode on VHS!
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I think that the first ep I saw was 'Here comes the Squirtle squad!', back in like '98 or something. I actually watched quite a bit of the show from then on (vs Lt. Surge, SS Anne, Charizard evolving) before actually getting the game, then forgot about it. Then remembered it slowly while playing Blue about a year later.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari
Spoiler: show

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Holidat Hi-Jynx.
All I remember is Jessie thinking Santa is a Jynx that stole her doll. >>

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON