Digimon 8 26.67%
Pokemon 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Pokemon or Digimon?

Final showdown here.

Well shit, this was supposed to be a poll with the third option of Monster Rancher.

Oh well.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Want me to add a Poll option?

Season 1 and 2 of Digimon pretty much trump the Pokemon anime. Aside from that, Pokemon wins in every other conceivable regard.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
phoopes
Double Dragon

inb4 Pokemon wins by a long shot

By the way, voting Pokemon.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Digimon has gotten pretty unique. I...I don't think it's a cheap Pokemon ripoff anymore like it used to be.

The diversity is really nice and it has interesting mechanics. Pokemon is still better but Digimon is just different enough that I can enjoy it without thinking it's just an inferior version of Pokemon.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokemon > Digimon > Monster Rancher

In before Doppel voices the dead opposite opinion. ^^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Pokemon.

You know what the fourth option should be?

Robopon
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
DIGIMON

DIGITAL MONSTERS

DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS
Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Seeing as this is a pokemon forum, I'd imagine there would be quite a bit of bias. Personally, I liked Digimon more than pokemon back in the day, but digimon's obviously died off for the most part, so Pokemon's got my vote

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Tuner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
DIGIMON

DIGITAL MONSTERS

DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS
I've got to admit, digimon had the best theme song ever. Also I enjoyed digimon anime much more than Pokemon. However, in overall awesomeness Pokemon takes the cake.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymez View Post
I've got to admit, digimon had the best theme song ever.
What.

WHAT.

WHAT.

I realize there are differences of opinion and in exposure, but the first one alone should suffice to prove this point. (And in case you can't tell, those are each hyperlinks. )
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
phoopes
Double Dragon

Personally, I prefer the English version, but I 100% agree with Talon. Also, FREAKIN' ORANGE ISLANDS THEME SONG, MAN.

WE ALL LIVE IN A POKEMON WORLD
I WANT TO BE THE GREATEST MASTER OF THEM ALL
Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
I will admit that the Pokemon themes are great. I don't know, maybe it's a nostalgia thing, but I love the digimon theme.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I like both digimon and pokemon equally as much. I do prefer the digimon anime as opposed to the the pokemon anime, with the exception of the Kanto series. I think that the digimon anime, excusing the second half of Frontier and 02, tends to be better for the sheer fact that they use new characters, excusing 02 once again, and there is a definite beginning and end. And I believe that the Frontier theme song is one of the best theme songs ever, with the exception of the original Pokemon theme song.

Gameswise, pokemon is definitely superior, though the digimon games aren't exactly the worst games out, well with the exception of Digimon World Digimon Data Squad.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymez View Post
I will admit that the Pokemon themes are great. I don't know, maybe it's a nostalgia thing, but I love the digimon theme.
I'll admit it's catchy, but then again, so is the themesong to Robocop Alpha Commando. In fact, I'd say the two songs have a lot in common, wouldn't you?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Cha-nge
in-to Digital Champions
TO
Save The
Digital
WORLD!~

Digimon 1 was good, 2 was ok, and 3 I never got enough exposure to judge.

I like both equally, Pokemon and Digimon. Pokemon 1 and 2 obviously the best out of them all. Maybe Pokemon wins out overall since they have a lot more merchandise I enjoy (the games)

Theme song wise,
Pokemon 1 and 2 openings were great, but Digimon brings up some nice nostalgia too.
In my wiser years, I prefer the Japanese Pokemon themes, but the english ones will always stir up sweet, unshakeable nostalgia.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

Let me just say... the first 3 Digimon series' (Zero, Zero-Two, and Tamers) will forever be better than anything Pokemon has ever done and can ever do with the anime. Everything afterwards can be safely ignored... I didn't really care for Frontier.

And the themes were the best thing ever. I also enjoyed how dark Digimon was for the age group it was aimed at. I mean, Malomyotismon was the fucking Anti-Christ. Literally! You can't beat that.

As for Tamers, I loved the zodiac saga. Very cool.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
I disagree Digimon was better then pokemon, but;
Quote:
And the themes were the best thing ever. I also enjoyed how dark Digimon was for the age group it was aimed at. I mean, Malomyotismon was the fucking Anti-Christ. Literally! You can't beat that.
I totally agree with you here.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I agree with deo, for the most part. Digimon anime was superior to Pokemon anime, until about a decent way into the Tamers series, anyway. Pokemon games, including the TCG, tend to be better, however.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Can we get an actual poll going? Make it so, Kuno. [/picard]
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Firewater
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Firewater
Not going to lie, agree that seasons 1 and 2 of Digimon were good. At the same time, Pokemon, while it's gotten a bit shitty, is still the far superior anime, or at least it didn't get destroyed to hell like Digimon, and Yugioh (to some extent had the same issue as Digimon) where later seasons added additional, shitty crap.

but Pokemon's best, ect.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #21
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewater View Post
Not going to lie, agree that seasons 1 and 2 of Digimon were good. At the same time, Pokemon, while it's gotten a bit shitty, is still the far superior anime, or at least it didn't get destroyed to hell like Digimon, and Yugioh (to some extent had the same issue as Digimon) where later seasons added additional, shitty crap.

but Pokemon's best, ect.
I'm going to have to disagree. Pokemon still uses the same formula it's used since episode one.

Protagonist meets fellow trainer/civilian/etc and a new Pokemon, protagonist battles new pokemon, Team Rocket comes, blasts off again. Sometimes, there's a new badge.

It's stale and terrible. Digimon, however, has not been afraid to know their limits for a story and knows when it's over. Then they take a break and start a new series. I would compare YGO to this, but Yu-Gi-Oh sticks with the core dueling and such, and in the same universe (though I hear ZeXal is in a new universe, but I don't know), sometimes on motorcycles. As for Digimon, the only consistent thing is that there is a digital world and digimon. The universes and stories change each time.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Monster Rancher is godly. It was universes above its contemporaries in children's adventure stories, and perhaps most of all was consistent. The first season of Pokemon was better strictly on an episode-by-episode count, but taken as a whole Monster Rancher fits in as one of the best shounen monster anime of all time. This isn't an exaggeration as adventure anime like that hasn't been in vogue for years, so the list is pretty short, but for its time it was peerless.

Digimon's great advantage over Pokemon was that it wasn't bound to any formulas or conventions, except maybe a "goggle-kid" main lead with a lizard Digimon partner. Digimon could die, and the characters could have more complicated backgrounds than was appropriate for the Pokemon audience. Toei didn't take full advantage of this, since every season could be reduced to saving the Digital World from some threat. That's hardly a franchise-defining characteristic, but their reluctance to experiment with the formulas has limited the show's reach. In contrast, the first season for Pokemon had all the originality but set the formulas the other seasons imitated. Can't not have Ash. Can't not have Pikachu. Must have a girl in the cast, Ash needs to get all the starters, etc.

Adventure wasn't the most substantive show, but it had loads of interesting tactical battles and cool moments and appealed to the era it aired in. It captured the imagination of kids growing up at the dawn of the internet where we had a sense a new world was opening up to us. Not only that, it was a coming of age story where the kids had to grow up fast to survive and fulfill their roles in the world.

Subsequent Digimon seasons save Tamers (I haven't seen Frontier) had less story, or worse story, than the bare-bones Adventure. Real wasted potential.

I wouldn't give the opposite ranking of Talon, but Monster Rancher >> Pokemon > Digimon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #23
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

If we're comparing first seasons and stuff, I would say Pokemon has the edge over Digimon's first two seasons. However, this is my memory from like, 10 years ago speaking.

I don't think anything in the Pokemon anime could match up to Digimon Tamers though.

Everything else is a giant oozing ball of meh. I quit watching Pokemon because it was repetitive, and I quit watching Digimon because it became retarded, and I got tired of looking at dinosaurs in tacky armor. In the later seasons, I think Digimon has an edge, simply because the new seasons actually bring something a little different.

If the Raikou movie is any indication, I think Pokemon would be fantastic if it followed Digimon's example laid way for a new team. Obviously not gonna happen.

Err...I guess what I'm trying to say is that Digimon has an edge over Pokemon. I should rewatch both sometime and see what my current self says though.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #24
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
It's stale and terrible. Digimon, however, has not been afraid to know their limits for a story and knows when it's over. Then they take a break and start a new series. I would compare YGO to this, but Yu-Gi-Oh sticks with the core dueling and such, and in the same universe (though I hear ZeXal is in a new universe, but I don't know), sometimes on motorcycles. As for Digimon, the only consistent thing is that there is a digital world and digimon. The universes and stories change each time.
Actually, I'm surprised you didn't bring YGO into this discussion in your OP. If one strips away the card game gimmick, each YGO series is refreshingly different, and in the original Duel Monsters series different seasons were markedly different.

Like, there were at least two incidents where Yugi & Co. went to a virtual world consisting of Duel Monsters, an apt comparison for Digimon. In GX, from what I've read, the high-school hijinks came to an end when the Duel Academy was taken to parallel universes, most notoriously the Dark World. And 5D's was basically Akira for its first two seasons before spinning off into entirely new territory.

I'd still place it below Monster Ranchers and the first season of Pokemon, but YGO as a franchise is better than 99% of Pokemon and the whole of Digimon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #25
Char
Banned

Pokemon season 1...then Digimon 1-3...then I dunno. Digimon is probably superior but for some strange reason Pokemon has a bigger place in my heart overall.

Although THIS made me go OMGGGG
Char is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate