UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team

Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
quilava plush
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to quilava plush Send a message via MSN to quilava plush
Mono Flying-type Team Help

I joined a Wifi Gym League on LiveJournal, specifically the flying-type gym. When I started writing down ideas for my team I realized how clueless I am despite having read so much on competitive battling for the past few years. 8U This is where I ask for some help. I particularly need EV spreads and hold item recommendations, and if there's any alternative movesets that would work better, please suggest those as well. Chances are I may rotate a few guys over time if I ever want to try other birds/bugs/dragons, so I may be back for more suggestions.

Also, for the record, item clause applies and legendaries in general are banned. For more information, the link to the league is [here].

Gyarados @ ???
Adamant
Intimidate
-Ice Fang
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

Mundane sweeper set.

Staraptor @ ???
Adamant
Intimidate
-Brave Bird
-U-turn
-Close Combat
-Return

Staraptor is one of my favorite Pokemon since I like starting route birds and it has awesome physical sweeping stats. This is another mundane set that speaks for itself.

Skarmory @ ???
Impish
Sturdy
-Whirlwind
-Drill Peck
-Spikes
-Roost/Curse

This is my only mandatory Pokemon since I chose it as a starter. I'm guessing this is the standard moveset? I'd like to use Stealth Rock, but I don't want to waste a TM I might need later, unless I can accurately clone. Ditto that for Roost.

Aerodactyl @ ???
Jolly
Pressure
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Iron Head/Ice Fang/Fire Fang

Since Aero doesn't learn Brave Bird or Double-Edge in D/P, Rock Head isn't being used. Rock Slide and EQ seem to be staples, Crunch is for Psychics and Ghosts, and I don't quite know what to include in the last slot so I just threw in a few possibilities.

Togekiss @ ???
Modest
Serene Grace
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Nasty Plot
-Softboiled/Wish

I would like to fit in Grass Knot somewhere, but it's the same deal as Stealth Rock above. If there's a fun annoyer set aside from this, I'd like to hear of it. :D

Yanmega @ ???
Modest
Color Glasses/Speed Boost
-Air Slash
-Bug Buzz
-Shadow Ball/Giga Drain
-Psychic

Air Slash and Bug Buzz for STAB. A much-needed Psychic helps cover more areas and Shadow Ball can be used for ghosts or Giga Drain for rock, ground, and water types. I'm leaning towards Color Glasses as a trait since Yanmega's defenses seem fragile and Bug/Flying tends to be weak to everything under the sun- ergo, it might not get too many speed boosts in. Regardless, this guy looks like he's a fun special sweeper to use for a gym league which should be, well, fun. :P

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Re: Mono Flying-type Team Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilava plush
Gyarados @ ???
Adamant
Intimidate
-Ice Fang
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

Mundane sweeper set.
Hold either Leftovers or Life Orb. Life Orb actually gives a lot of extra umph in damage and can help out a lot. Have enough Speed EVs for 256 and after 1 Dragon Dance, you will outrace Weavile. Sadly, without Jolly, that is the best it can beat within reasonable EV allocation. Max ATK and pour the rest into HP.

Quote:
Staraptor @ ???
Adamant
Intimidate
-Brave Bird
-U-turn
-Close Combat
-Return

Staraptor is one of my favorite Pokemon since I like starting route birds and it has awesome physical sweeping stats. This is another mundane set that speaks for itself.
Hold a Choice Band. That's my personal favorite. It actually makes for a strong starter thanks to Intimidate and can do quite a bit of damage to a lot of guys. Also, as a tip: Unless you know Close Combat is a KO or at least SE, don't use it. It's easily suicide on lots of tankish Pokemon who strike back afterwards and pretty much got a OHKO simply because of the reduced defenses.

Quote:
Skarmory @ ???
Impish
Sturdy
-Whirlwind
-Drill Peck
-Spikes
-Roost/Curse

This is my only mandatory Pokemon since I chose it as a starter. I'm guessing this is the standard moveset? I'd like to use Stealth Rock, but I don't want to waste a TM I might need later, unless I can accurately clone. Ditto that for Roost.
You can breed on Roost from Chatot IIRC. You will need to chain it for Drill Peck and Whirlwind though. Holding either Leftovers or Shed Shell is good. Many have switched to Leftovers over Shed Shell simply because Magnezone isn't very common.

Quote:
Aerodactyl @ ???
Jolly
Pressure
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Iron Head/Ice Fang/Fire Fang

Since Aero doesn't learn Brave Bird or Double-Edge in D/P, Rock Head isn't being used. Rock Slide and EQ seem to be staples, Crunch is for Psychics and Ghosts, and I don't quite know what to include in the last slot so I just threw in a few possibilities.
Fire Fang is pretty common for SE hits on Skarmory and Bronzong. Sadly, Aerodactyl's ATK isn't as high as most would like it to be and generally requires either Life Orb or Choice Band for good damage. I don't know if you're playing with Item Clause or not, so it could be a problem.

Quote:
Togekiss @ ???
Modest
Serene Grace
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Nasty Plot
-Softboiled/Wish

I would like to fit in Grass Knot somewhere, but it's the same deal as Stealth Rock above. If there's a fun annoyer set aside from this, I'd like to hear of it.
Thunderwave is quite popular on Togekiss. The paraflinch combo is massively annoying. Also, Togekiss lacks speed, which is a turn off for a lot of people.

Quote:
Yanmega @ ???
Modest
Color Glasses/Speed Boost
-Air Slash
-Bug Buzz
-Shadow Ball/Giga Drain
-Psychic

Air Slash and Bug Buzz for STAB. A much-needed Psychic helps cover more areas and Shadow Ball can be used for ghosts or Giga Drain for rock, ground, and water types. I'm leaning towards Color Glasses as a trait since Yanmega's defenses seem fragile and Bug/Flying tends to be weak to everything under the sun- ergo, it might not get too many speed boosts in. Regardless, this guy looks like he's a fun special sweeper to use for a gym league which should be, well, fun. :P
Since the entire set seems to be Special Attacks, I would probably suggest Choice Specs for max damage. Giga Drain is pretty nice for Swampert or Rhyperior, but there's a lot that resists Grass, so I don't know if you want it.

Overall your team has massive weaknesses, but this is expected in an all-Flying team. Dragons resistant/neutral to quite a bit, but all flying ones also have double-ice weakness, which is just another weakness added. Charizard is an option with neutral to ice, but again, double-rock weakness. Zapdos is usable, but in WiFi, it's hard to get something useful on it (read: a good Hidden Power). Gliscor (sp?) can cover some weaknesses, namely electric, but again, double-ice. It's hard to cover weaknesses, so the only real solution is strategy and proper usage of Pokemon. Have some practice battles with people to see what you need to fix/need help on. GL though.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I'll comment on it more in a bit, but you need to exploit the ability to have up to three non-flying Pokes to neuter your ice/electric weaks. Scizor comes to mind as one possibility, since it gets a BP 90 Aerial Ace. Hell, Ttar and Metagross learn it, of all things.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I have to agree with Blast here. You have to take advantage of the rules or you will get stomped on by stealth rock. Seeing as how the only flying 'spinner is ice/flying, starting off to get rid of spikes with 50% hp is no use (Delibird).

As for who to remove for them... That's upto you really. A ground type would be nice, as Gyra and Skarm are already neutral to ice. I like Gliscor alot but then thats not really different much from the theme and goes against my point. >.>

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team