UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #801
The O
Boulder Badge

Oh yeah. =o Not gonna lie. I've fought a lot better than them. But~ That was before I knew how to save replays. Sorry for wasting your time I guess. :b

I'm fairly certain that it just matches me with my rating. I'm not sure how to go about fighting better trainers. :o

Oh and my Durant doesn't have Bug moves. ;o

My Squad and Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
wat skool
Quote:
Originally Posted by The O View Post
wat skool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
wat skool
The O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #802
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Oh yeah. =o Not gonna lie. I've fought a lot better than them. But~ That was before I knew how to save replays. Sorry for wasting your time I guess. :b

I'm fairly certain that it just matches me with my rating. I'm not sure how to go about fighting better trainers. :o

Oh and my Durant doesn't have Bug moves. ;o
Oh wow, I didn't even notice that it was OU. I figured it was a Random Battle. I don't think it changes much of what I said though. ^^;

PS will still allow you to randomly fight trainers of various skill levels no matter how much time you log, but I think most people do find that you're initially matched up with people in the lower ranks (< 1500) and only after you've fought enough people will you reliably be fighting people ranked between 1500 and 2000.

I signed on to offer to play in Random Battle but you weren't on. I could offer to play you in OU but it sounds like what you'd rather do is fight more strangers for points so that you start getting better opponents. So good luck! But I am on right now if you want. Message user Suisho. (I'm not in the lobby so you'll have to type "/msg Suisho, Hello" or something to message me.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #803
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Wow O. Your skills are the terror of every five year old on the internet.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #804
The O
Boulder Badge

Aah. Well I'm about to get ready for work actually. But I'll battle you tomorrow cause I have to ref PASBL matches when I get home tonight.

Wow Loki. That was a smart-ass remark. :o

I never claimed to have all of the 1337 hAx skills or anything though~ *shrug*

Is everyone done being condescending just because my first opponents sucked?

My Squad and Stats

Quote:
wat skool
Quote:
wat skool
Quote:
wat skool
Old 10-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #805
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Jeez. Remind me not to post any Pokemon Showdown replays anymore. Apparently a lot of hate comes from it.
Quote:
I never claimed to have all of the 1337 hAx skills or anything though~ *shrug*

Is everyone done being condescending just because my first opponents sucked?
Sorry, it's just that we tend to share battles here which are remarkable for one thing or another. Sometimes we'll post replays where the opponent gets creamed, sure, but usually not because they're clearly a newb who doesn't know how to play. If most of us created replays out of every single game we played and posted those replays here, this thread would be thousands of posts long already and no one would bother watching anyone else's videos. It's one of those ... how to put it ... you don't want your message to get drowned out in a sea of noise of your own making, y'know? If you post nine unremarkable battles for every one remarkable battle, your remarkable one's likely to get passed over. Kinda like a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation. People had good intentions when they recommended not posting videos against amateur players, even if those intentions didn't come across well. Sorry if I upset you. I would definitely like you to keep posting videos here. Just ... always ask yourself this question! "If it weren't my battle ... if it were somebody else's, and they uploaded it ... would I still want to watch it? Or would I be like, 'So? What's so special about this? '" That's a pretty good question to always ask before creating a video replay. It's one I tend to ask almost every time. Maybe people won't always agree with my conclusions about the videos I think are noteworthy, but at least I do try and prune out any of the ones that I find unremarkable, even if they were personally satisfying.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #806
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Learn to take a compliment

But yeah... Attract on genderless Pokemon really is not replay worth saving or showing to anyone. Unless those saves were for the LULZ. But then the other saves kind of disproved that.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #807
The O
Boulder Badge

I wasn't upset with you. Loki just came across as a major smart-ass. These were simply my first competitive battles, ever. So I guess they were more remarkable for me. But I'll post better ones next time.

Edit: Yeah Loki, but there was a better way of initially saying that.

My Squad and Stats

Quote:
wat skool
Quote:
wat skool
Quote:
wat skool
Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #808
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Loki's just playing with ya- He does that.

...A lot. >_>
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #809
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I just realized that until I get the newest games myself, I can no longer play on Pokémon Showdown. At least, I can't play in any of the general tiers and especially not my favorite tier, Random Battle.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #810
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Talon, as far as I know Gen 6 Beta that showdown has is only usable when normally challenging someone. It's not yet incorporated into the normal ladders, so you should be safe. And there are also no mini sprites in teambuilding should you have to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarel
We have a beta version of Gen 6 Ubers (and a gen 6 custom game format) for anyone who wants to try out gen 6. It's available in the challenge screen only.

All known mechanics and learnsets are in, and we'll be updating probably once a day or so as we get more information.
Also: if anyone is interested in some Gen 6, I'm online XD
Old 10-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #811
Princess Ana
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Ana
I'd doubt any Rand Bats appearances would occur within the next two months. They have to double-checks BSs, learnsets, do their own analysis etc.

And I'm to assume that we aren't allowed to have any Gen VI comp discussion in this thread? I'd be terribly disappointed, but I would understand.

Also, on if anyone wants to get into the GEN VI BATTOLS.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #812
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
I'd doubt any Rand Bats appearances would occur within the next two months. They have to double-checks BSs, learnsets, do their own analysis etc.
Maybe, but I've erred on the side of caution these past few days. Last thing I want to do is get into a battle and then someone bitches at me saying "IF ONLY I HAD STONE STORM I COULD'VE OHKO'D YOU!" and it's like "Gee. Great. Now I know there's a move called Stone Storm that is probably Rock-type Thunder given the timing of your comment. -_-;"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
And I'm to assume that we aren't allowed to have any Gen VI comp discussion in this thread? I'd be terribly disappointed, but I would understand.
Not at all. If you guys want to discuss Gen 6 competitive stuff, be my guest. I think at this point I'm one of very few veteran members here who a) cares about spoilers and b) hasn't gotten the games. Most everyone else seems to be not A, not B, or neither A nor B. I'm not going to hold this thread hostage. If you guys want to start discussing things in spoiler tags, cool. If you'd rather not, then politely give a head's up and I'll sit this thread out for the next n months.

That stated, I think in the interests of politeness to any of the younger members here who will be getting Pokémon X and Y for Christmas (I know that's what I did in 1998) you should probably still spoiler tag anything that wasn't revealed by CoroCoro. (And if you really want to be nice then spoiler tag the CoroCoro torrent of spoilers too.) It's one thing for me to volunteer to sit out the thread, but it's quite another for you guys to force anyone out. That stated, if no one currently on UPN fits that bill (i.e. if even the youngest members have either already gotten the games or else are a-okay with spoilers), then rock on.

I dunno, ask Kuno and in general follow good common sense and etiquette towards your fellow members. But yeah, dude, this thread's by no means to be held hostage just because some minor proportion of the board (or possibly only one member) is still trying to avoid competitive spoilers.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #813
Princess Ana

If anyone talks about Gen VI stuff outside of a spoiler, I'll find you and kill you.

I'm thinking of asking Kuno for a Gen VI competitive thread, but I don't think its needed. We are all youngadults, or at least mature enough to know not to fuck it up for anybody else.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #814
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If people by and large don't want to use spoiler tags in this thread to discuss competitive aspects of the Gen 6 metagame, I can honestly appreciate why that would be. Narrative spoilers are spoilers forever: people can generally agree even forty years out that it's not a nice thing to spoil somebody on The Empire Strikes Back or Planet of the Apes. But mechanics spoilers? Mechanics fundamental to the evolution of competitive play? When should a ban on discussing those openly be lifted? Should there even be a ban on those in the first place? These are fair questions. Certainly, I don't think we muzzled people three years ago when it came to openly discussing Hurricane or Reuniclus or Terrakion or Quiver Dance or Conkledurr or .... You get the picture.

But like I wrote above, even if it does seem grossly arbitrary to decide that some particular date is the date after which time it's okay to be open about Gen 6 spoilers, I do think (based on my own youth) that a lot of younger fans tend to ask Mom and Dad to get them the games for Christmas since:
  • it's so close (a little over two months away)
  • it's Mom and Dad's money, not the child's allowance () OR the child doesn't have any personal money with which to buy the game even if they wanted to
  • the child may not own a 3DS yet either, and that may be one of the gifts they've asked for for Christmas
But like, do we even have any of these hypothetical children here? Or is everyone here either well above the age of 18 (yes ) or else below the age of 18 but already got a copy of the games? Like ... I know that I did that too, at the age of 15, when Gold and Silver came out. Got them immediately in September 2000. Didn't want to be left out of the loop. Pokémania, man.

Kinda feel like I'm repeating myself, but what the hell, I'll say it again: if I'm the only person this thread would be having to use spoiler tags for, then you really shouldn't have to use them if any of you don't want to. That stated, if you're all unanimously willing to do so until I got the games, then gorsh. [/goofy] If not, no hard feelings, just give me a good head's up before you plonk the first of the non-tagged spoilers down so I know to avoid this thread I've posted in so, so much over the past few years.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #815
Escalion

Well, I'm all for using spoiler tags if it helps. It really isn't that much of a problem to type an extra tag.

That said, can't really say there is much Gen 6 competitive to discuss as PS hasn't fully incorporated it yet. And what they have so far is incomplete and in some cases even wrong (like moves having lower/higher power in the game than they currently have in PS)

And also: my nick on PS is Escalion
I'm on now :P
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #816
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
And also: my nick on PS is Escalion
I'm on now :P
You may be "on" but you're certainly not responsive. Messaged you ten minutes ago, challenged you five minutes ago. Posting here. Will give it ten additional minutes. Then heading back to do what I was doing before I saw your post. :p
Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #817
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Alright then I'm on PS as Murasa if anyone wants to test Gen 6. Anyways, I'll be putting down my thoughts on certain mons in gen 6 comp so Talon don't read on ahead if you don't wish to be spoiled.
Spoiler: show
This will be covering old and new Pokemon, mainly the Fairies.

Gardevoir- Gardevoir in my opinion, will quickly rise up from NU into OU or UU with her new typing and moves. The good news? She can tank Dragon and Fighting type moves like their nothing. Bad news? She can't do jack squat against steel types and Gengar can easily become a problem. Though, I can see her fill a few roles. A Set-Up Synchronize Sweeper, a Focus Sash Trace all out attacker, abd a Choice Scarf/Specs Tracer. With Calm Mind + 3 Attacks (Psyshock, Moonblast, and Hidden Power Fire will most likely be the most common), Gardevoir can easily set up on Mons such as choice locked Keldeo, Most special attackers, choice locked dragons, and so much more. Moonblast is going to be the primary STAB, sporting a really nice base power of 95 and at +1, can rip teams to shreds. Psyshock is there for Mons like Blissey and Tentacruel, targeting their weaker defense stat and hitting them hard. It's also useful for taking care of Gengar as well. Hidden Power Fire easily allows her to take care of our lovelyt Bug/Steel types with out too much hassle, but Heatran still would be an annoying threat to deal with.

For Focus Sash Tracer, This set easily aims to copy the opponents ability and destroy with the appropriate move. While it won't work for situational abilities, the addition of Shadow Ball or Focus Blast really helps Gardevoir. Besides, getting Technician for HP or Adaptability would be really nice bonuses. While it's situational, it can really work. Same thoughts on choice varients.

Togekiss- Did someone saw new hax master? With Fairy type in tow, Togekiss can finally fly once again the skies of OU. With access to fairy type moves and air slash, she can quickly render most Pokemon helpless. And Togekiss also becomes the best Garchomp counter in the game, easily able to eat both of its STABS and force it out. It seems like it's going to be a good mon.

Clefairy- It seems Clefairy will rise for being pure fairy, and thus can wall a lot more things this time. I wonder how this will effect the meta.

Azumarill- Priority. Bulk. Huge Power. Play Rough. Choice Band. Pretty much sums up Azumarill in 8 words. I can see rise to OU or BL, even with Rain's nerf.

Carbink- Now this thing screams wall. Able to set up hazards, Boost defenses, and boasting great defenses with a marginally good defensive typing, Carbink is going to be a really hard mon to take down and can easily wall to it's heart content. Is it OU material? I don't really think so... but it'll be a monster wall in the lower tiers, that's for certain.

Klefki- With a good defensive typing, decent defense stats, and a pretty good move pool (Did I forget to mention PRIORITY SPIKES?); this little guy might actually be one of the best Prankster abusers out there. While he certain competes with Sableye, an overall superior typing (in my eyes) and priority hazards certain give him a reason to be used over Sableye. BUT, I actually can really see a Prankster Core between the two, as they seem to compliment each other. Would love to try that out one day too.

Slurpuff- It's prevo gets Unburden. If this gets Unburden, that 30 Base speed won't be horrible. I really see him as an NU mon, and a great addition to TR teams. Base 90 Attk and Base 30 Spe makes him desirable in Trick Room, especially with his physical tankish stats. Besides, Play Rough would be an excellent STAB move.

Aromataisse- Specially Defensive Cleric. Pretty much all I got to say on the matter.

Sylveon- Special Tank. Boasting really good Special Attack and Defense stats, Sylveon seems to be an excellent Special Tank for UU or OU, maybe even RU. With Moon Blast as a saving grace, it might actually be one of the most useful eeveelutions yet. Especially with Pixilate.

Florges- See Sylveon with better special stats. Also seems to be a good Pokemon for doubles, especially Grass-types.

I know I skipped a few fairies, but honestly I think Fairy type is a really good addition to the meta game, and gave us a lot of (Specially biased) variety. I can see Fairies in all tiers, and I'm curious to see how it develops when Gen 6 is solidified into Comp.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #818
Escalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
You may be "on" but you're certainly not responsive. Messaged you ten minutes ago, challenged you five minutes ago. Posting here. Will give it ten additional minutes. Then heading back to do what I was doing before I saw your post. :p
Sorry for having breakfast
But was nice to have a few games against you, especially the first one XD
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #819
Princess Ana

Lost, I think you got a lot of hype going on.

I honestly only see two Fairies going up into OU. Azumarill, cause it loves those free switch-ins, and Mega-Mawile, cause its seriously good.

Fairies are going to be overhyped. Gardevoir seems really cool, but its typing is a massive eyesore. Not to mention it isn't fast and doesn't have good physical bulk. The problem with your all out attacker sets is that Scizor checks them all the time. Bullet Punch is a OHKO. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Pokemon that are OHKO'd by Scizor's Bullet Punch don't last long in the tier unless they have something else to offer. And Gardevoir doesn't. She is still outclassed by Alakazam as an all out attacker, because he gets Magic Guard. Not to mention, also, that if Gardevoir isn't running Life Orb(understandable given that lack of physical bulk) then both only 2HKO with Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam. BOTH. Alakazam is simply better.

Togekiss - She still has the same problems that kept her from being OU the last generation. A weakness to Stealth Rock. An inability to deal with the major threats of OU. While becoming Fairy/Flying has improved her STAB situation, she is still going to have major problems in the tier. A middling speed(also Gardevoir's problem). She will be a terror to face in UU, but I seriously think you are overhyping the Fairy typing.

Azumarill - One of the only good Fairies. Has good bulk, an amazing ability, powerful moves in Waterfall, Play Rough, and Superpower. Her Fairy typing gives her unresisted coverage with all of her moves, meaning switching in is always going to be a gamble. OU material.

Carbink - Dude, you do realize that Bronzong and Ferroseed exist right? Carbink is NU. If he wasn't a wall, he would be good. But the fact that he is worse than Ferroseed says something.

Klefki - Has a nice combo of ability and movepool, but with middling stats. It definetely has some nice toys to play around with, but lack of reliable recovery means she is never seeing UU.

Slurpuff - No Slurpuff is terrible. Stop kidding yourself. Even Torkoal can't get out of his terrible base Speed. 90 base attack. Are you serious? The premier Scarfer in NU has 105. It should come back once it gets an Mega Evo.

Aromatisse - Outclassed at life. NU, and no one is going to use her.

Sylveon - Very solid UU. Her lack of Physical bulk plus poor speed hamper her in that aspect, but she is going to give Umbreon a run for his money on the Special wall side. Might make a good Choice Spec too.

Florges - Gives Sylveon a run for her money. Lower HP but much better Sp.Def. And a hell of a lot faster too.

So yeah. Fairy type is not god type. People aren't going to run Outrage. So don't even bring it up.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #820
The O
Boulder Badge

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-57039511 Some mistakes were made but I think this is better than my first videos.

I'm disappointed because for some reason I couldn't pull the links of a best of 3 battle I had against another Mono-ghost user. He won 2-1 but I did fairly well in the first battle. :X

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-57056034 1% is all it takes.

My Squad and Stats

Quote:
wat skool
Quote:
wat skool
Quote:
wat skool

Last edited by The O; 10-17-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #821
Princess Ana

Druddigon pulls his weight and secures the MVP of the match.

EDIT: The second battle was really cool and it was interesting to see the Raikou lose all of its HP. Raikou has deceptively high Sp.Def so I never try to take chances like that.

The first battle would be cooler if it wasn't obvious that the guy playing was a complete novice.

Last edited by Princess Ana; 10-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Princess Ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #822
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just played a random battle right now on PS and I noticed what appears to be a Gen 6 change to a classic attack. As a result, I think this is my signal to sit out PS for the time being. I can only imagine that the full incorporation of Gen 6 is days away if they're already tweaking Gen 1 thru 5 attacks to match.

Apparently Fire Blast got demoted from 120 base power to 110 base power in Gen 6? Why? That seems so strange to me, especially since Fire Blast has generally been less popular than Flamethrower and is only really found on sets where it's necessary for that added power. Boosting its power would've been a poor move too (since even at 130 base power most competitive players would probably start to prefer it to Flamethrower's 95 base power @ 100% accuracy) but decreasing its power seems an even poorer decision. Now they've pretty much sealed Fire Blast's fate as an unorthodox alternative to the vastly superior Flamethrower. Who really gives a shit about +15 base power when you're also getting saddled with -15% accuracy?

Even stranger to me is the fact that apparently they didn't do this to all of the base 120 power attacks. I don't want to know any more than what I've seen with these two, but I also saw Solarbeam, and I saw that it's still at 120 base power. I'm not surprised that they spared it -- Solarbeam is such a shitty move, saved only by sun -- but I am surprised that they felt it was okay to go through with this unequal treatment. It demonstrates that GameFreak felt it necessary to drag some of the other 120 base power attacks down so that Solarbeam and its ilk wouldn't feel so alone.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #823
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Not going to spoiler you, but let's just say you've but stumbled upon the tip of the iceberg. Staying off PS now is a really good idea, though.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #824
Princess Ana

WARNING: THIS IS A GEN VI REPLAY. WARNING: THIS IS A GEN VI REPLAY.

Okay, now that we have that out of the way: Landorus-T, best defensive pivot in the game.

So I've been running this team for a while now. I've only lost a couple of times, each time to SubPunch Breloom(who for some reason is huge now). This team has an answer to every single threat in the tier(except fucking Breloom) at the moment. I can deal with Genesect, Mega Gengar, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Garchomp, Slyveon, Florges, practically everything. Mega Gengar is an easy match-up. Tyranitar, Lando-T, Greninja, Kyurem-B(with Outrage *gasp*) and Hippo can all beat Gengar one on one. No need for a fucking scarfer. My team is based on pure staying power, and it pretty much flounces all teams in the game. Kyurem stand-a-lone beats Rain and Greninja, Hippowdon stops Tyranitar, Tyranitar stops the lati twins as well as Ferrothorn, and Mega Lucario is the end-game. He is fucking boss. Who cares if he has no item? He's got fucking Adaptibility. That makes up for it. He nearly OHKOs every major physical wall.

That's right. This team is really pretty baller.

Also Azumarill is a bitch. I don't have a safe-switch in for her, but I can revenge kill her easily.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #825
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>TIL [Redacted] gets Bulk Up

Why would anyone even run that.
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON