UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The Haunting (series)

My sister started watching this and my dad and I got roped in. While it's "terrifying" for her, I just find it a bit spooky. I'm curious how it could be a "season 1" when the main story seems like it's going to wrap up in the last three episodes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

There's a season deux!

WTF?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-23-2021, 01:50 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So Mike Flanagan (who did both seasons of The Haunting) also did a series this year called Midnight Mass which I think is more spooky and horrifying than his prior works (which are just terrifying). The twists in it have certainly surprised me, although I'm not through the series just yet as my dad and sister are too taxed by watching it to continue.

What I've noticed in Flanagan's works is, at the core of each story, is a soap opera of sorts that weakens the characters emotionally when facing the external supernatural threat. Like, the characters could conquer the external demons if they could first surmount the (greater) internal ones.

The original Haunting was just overwhelmingly scary. The ghost power of Hill House was far more concentrated than the others. Bly Manor was spooky but not as outright terrifying.

Midnight Mass, though. What's most upsetting about this one is the unpleasant feeling that God doesn't exist within the universe of the show. This means that characters are in more mortal and eternal danger than in any of the others. As terrifying as Hill House was, I always had the sense the characters could pull through. Even moreso with Bly Manor as the threat was more human.

But this, this is troubling.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I've heard really good things about Midnight Mass personally, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:27 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I finished it today and it was both hard to watch and made me cry. It's definitely the most religious and least terrifying of Flanagan's works, but it's the most horrifying by a country mile.

I can see why people don't want to talk about it. If you are religious, you need a lot of maturity to tackle this since it's one of the biggest tests of faith I've ever seen. If you are an atheist the religious drag and the overall pro-religious push can be a turnoff.

The story reminded me of the subplot in Return to Krondor with Haldon Head, which haunted me when I was younger. This is like that transposed to the modern day.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment