UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Genesect Mighty No. 9

Why is there no discussion on this? This needs to be remedied.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o9/mighty-no-9

Edit: Apparently people brought it up in the Megaman Legends thread. Oh well, here is it's own thread for it.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Did you invest in the kickstarter Kuno?
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Lady Kuno

It's entirely possible.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
Lady Kuno

The time on this ran out, hitting literally every stretch goal last minute.

I love Megaman games, but this looks like it will have a metric shit ton of co-op and re-playability features. I am excite.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Electric Blue Eye
Nearly gone

I'm so glad Megaman isn't fully dead, and having recent found this little gem, I can't wait until this game comes out!
Electric Blue Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Did you invest in the kickstarter Kuno?
It's entirely possible.

BORKED
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That trailer was pretty painful, as were the '90s commercials it was doubtless mirroring. Some people say it was deliberate over-the-top satire, but I dunno ... the video feels pretty sincere. Which just makes it plain bad, as bad as the crap we video game fans used to have to put up with in the '90s.

It was several days ago when I first saw that trailer. Heard about it because of a story someone was reporting on, that a bunch of anime fans were insulted by the commercial (because of the joke about prom night) and that IntiCreates was like "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!? " at the American distributor.

While the fire looks bad, it doesn't make me think of pizza. Even looking for it, I feel like the comparison is forced.

My major complaint is the characters' faces. Holy hell do their facial animations look bad. Looks like an early PS2 game from an upstart company, not a PS4 game from one of the most beloved men in all of video gaming.

At the end of the day, though, Mega Man isn't about the plot or even the graphics. No.1 is the gameplay, No.2 is the music. So long as the game is fun and adequately challenging, and so long as the music can live up to Mega Man's library of songs, Mighty No.9 should do fine.

But even the gameplay looks like it might be in danger. What the trailer showed ... looked really bland and boring. Like it was an early screen from the tutorial level of Mega Man X copy-pasted a bajillion times. Might be hard for them to showcase the best gameplay without feeling like they're showing their entire hand to the public, but yeesh ... I adore Mega Man, but this trailer did not fill me with confidence.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
deoxys
Fog Badge

The art style looks phenomenally bad, especially when you compare it to this, which everyone thought they were getting when they kickstarted it.

Looking back at the concept screenshots they had, it makes me pretty sad, because that looks gorgeous and the kind of style I thought they were going for - not this 2.5D bland crap. There were four million dollars invested into this project.

This makes me concerned for Bloodstained, even though that looks like it's coming along okay.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I forgot about that concept screen. Yeah, that looks pretty damn nice. And a natural evolution of the franchise's art and feel, too.

While the graphics in the finished product do look worse than the concept art, they don't honestly look too much worse. I think what really kills Mighty No.9's finished look vs. the concept screen you posted is:
  1. the fire. It is just so abysmally bad, and it keeps showing up in both movie files and gameplay.
  2. how zoomed out we are in the finished product
That's the really jarring thing. We're super, super zoomed out compared with any other Mega Man game in franchise history. If it were for gameplay reasons, fine, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It looks like it's just to minimize Mighty, for whatever reasons, and to maximize the amount of stuff happening on the screen at once. There are a few moments in that trailer which I feel like, if we were to zoom in, we could have had something approximating what you see in the concept screen.

But yeah, there's no denying that the enemies and stages look super well-drawn in the concept art ... they remind me of the sort of thing that, were this a screencap of actual footage, I'd expect to see coming out of Arc System Works. "Anime brought to life," that sort of thing. What we see in Mighty's trailer isn't as polished, isn't as anime-ey ... hard to explain exactly what I mean.

That concept art is really pretty though, geez ... really too bad the finished game didn't look like that.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Comparing something to the concept art is never a good thing: Concept art will always look better than the end result.

Although, after watching that trailer, it doesn't look all too great. It's almost like they're trying for the self-aware 'This game sucks and we know it' point with the trailer, but the game's actually bad in itself.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
deoxys
Fog Badge

The problem is that I think a lot of people like myself thought we were getting a game with a style similar to Ori and the Blind Forest or Rayman Legends or even Child of Light

Instead, again, we got this... 2.5-D style that looks nothing like what the early art and concepts implied.

Aside from many of the other glaring issues with the game, this is a huge gripe for me personally.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #12
Lady Kuno

Sad we're getting a product no one really wanted.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
dirkac
uhhhhh

Oh man I am suprr dissapoont.

Watched the trialer and yeah, compared yo thr concept att it's franklu faurly atroviousm
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

Reviews are out, and it's not looking good.

I think the one that stands out to sum it up the most is "Mighty No. 9, more like Shitey No. 9"

How disappointing...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games