UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #876
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My full thoughts on Jurassic World are too complicated to explain briefly and I am too tired/unenthusiastic to commit to such a lengthy post. Suffice to say:

1. I don't like the look of it.

2. I feel that the original was a masterpiece of cinema built upon wonderful source material.

3. It says a lot about a project when its fictional creatures look fake, when it is a sequel to a movie made twenty years ago, and when the same fictional creatures in the original not only passed for real back then but still pass for real today.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #877
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I've seen a lot about the 'how are the graphics worse than 20 years ago' argument being thrown around. No-one seems to get that there's 6 months until the film comes out, which is a fair amount of time for them to bring the graphics up to spec.

Unless it goes Aliens: Colonial Marines on us, that is.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #878
Heather
Naga's Voice

So I saw Big Hero 6. I loved it. It was awesome. I can't say too much more without spoiling things, but trust me, it was a great watch and I laughed and cried with the characters every step of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #879
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I've seen a lot about the 'how are the graphics worse than 20 years ago' argument being thrown around. No-one seems to get that there's 6 months until the film comes out, which is a fair amount of time for them to bring the graphics up to spec.
I feel like this argument is to film, television, and video games what the "Do you have any in the back?" question is to retail stores. Yes, they could have some in "the Back™". Yes, they could go "Back™ there" to check for you. No, they probably do not, and no, they probably won't. Same idea with the idea that video game developers, filmmakers, and television series creators are going to magically "touch things up" in the three to six months before release. Even a year is pushing it in some cases, but six months just seems completely unrealistic to me. Not in terms of whether it is technically feasible or not. Not even in terms of whether it's officially on the docket to be done during that time or not. (We all know that post-production takes place in the months before the film's release.) But no: I'm talking specifically in terms of whether or not they will touch these things up, this notion that what we saw in the trailer is not what we should expect to be getting in six months' time. What logic is this? The entire point of a trailer is to show us something in advance and to say, "See this? See this here? This is what we'll be giving you in six months' time."

EDIT: case in point? The green grass in ORAS. I complained it looked cartoonishly green, Jeri said to have faith Game Freak would touch it up between then and now, now has come and gone, and we're stuck with an ORAS with cartoonishly green grass.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #880
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Honestly while I'm a huge fossil nerd myself I actually liked the Jurassic World trailer. Yes the science doesn't hold up but they knew that when the first film was made and it didn't hurt.
I provided three reasons why it didn't hurt audiences in 1992, but (hopefully) will not fly by the critics this time around unless the next generation of critics are nimrods. It says something when you hate movie tropes, then TV kicks out something like this which is imaginative, informative, scientifically sound and ultimately is more interesting than movie monsters + movie tropes.

During my college years, after the decline of Cartoon Network and similar cartoon channels, all I watched on TV were documentaries. I didn't understand at the time that the strength of documentaries was due to innovations in filming and CGI, which allowed them the open the imagination in ways documentaries prior to 2000 could not. Now, it seems like documentaries are going extinct in favour of reality TV which purveys everything. It's terrible.

Quote:

Admittedly the 'genetic hybrid dinosaur' part of the trailer made me think it was going downhill, I'm going to wait until a) longer trailer comes out and b) see what the reviews are like, and even then I'll probably go and see it anyway because dinosaurs. That and I go to see movies because I want some escapism. If everything was hard science then there'd hardly be any fun films aside fomr Interstellar (upon which note I agree with Jeri go watch that).
Post-Muv-Luv Alternative I can't enjoy something that's soft but serious. You know The Core? I wouldn't last five seconds into a movie like The Core. I am so informed now JW would come across as Core-esque.

Quote:

Also pretty sure that wasn't a Liopleurodon but a Tylosaurus, which could reach around three times the length of an average adult Great White. From the shots I saw in the trailer I thought the shark looked a little small and was probably a juvenile rather than a fully-grown adult, making the Mosasaur even larger by comparison. Though I thought the scene of it acting like an Orca was a bit dumb, again, the movie's for fun.
Thanks for the correction!

Quote:

Unless it goes Aliens: Colonial Marines on us, that is.
I thought Godzilla and Smaug looked very fake, and it took dark lightning to disguise the fact that in the light both reptiles stood out in a bad way.

While it's true this is a trailer, more realistic skin tones or lighting won't change the uncanny valley effect with the animal motion. I've rewatched Jurassic Park fairly recently myself and I feel like the animation is inconsistently convincing: some scenes, like with the T-Rex, are convincing even without the aid of dark lightning (except when T-Rex chases the car). The Brachiosaurus in the beginning rearing on hind legs is less convincing even if the local muscle movement agrees, because an animal that size can't be supported by legs upright like that.

Stuff like that also makes me wonder why movies are so expensive. Even adjusted for inflation and actor/actress salaries, CGI is more expensive than ever, but it was meant to cheapen production costs while also opening more doors for versatility. And it never ceases to amuse me of all the jock types who bash cartoons but like movies such as 300, which is nothing more than an hour and a half of cartoonish animation.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #881
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Stuff like that also makes me wonder why movies are so expensive. Even adjusted for inflation and actor/actress salaries, CGI is more expensive than ever, but it was meant to cheapen production costs while also opening more doors for versatility. And it never ceases to amuse me of all the jock types who bash cartoons but like movies such as 300, which is nothing more than an hour and a half of cartoonish animation.
Mostly because it's essentially art, and not only is it art, it's art that has to match real life perfectly. In essence, you're doing hyper-realism and then making it move.

The levels of work to make a CGI scene are already pretty high - see Frozen's infamous tower scene - and it just...takes more effort to integrate CGI into reality. I understand that you don't think too much of it, and obviously neither do most bosses, but VFX is an incredibly high-skill department and cannot be taken lightly.

I mean, unless you're watching Birdemic: Shock and Terror, you want your CGI to be unnoticeable. Like Forrest Gump. Many people think there's no CGI in Forrest Gump at all, which is laughably false. Unfortunately, due to the fact that dinosaurs aren't very good actors, you have 2 options, CGI and animatronic models. Jurassic Park went with a blend of the first two (which is partly why it still holds up...not because the CGI was top quality but because there were physical dinosaur pieces being used for some of the more important scenes, with tricky lighting and angles to keep the CGI drawbacks from being too significant. Jurassic World might do the same, or it might be more ambitious and go with full CGI - we don't know yet.

Honestly, there's no way to make the dinosaurs not look fake. Spoiler alert! THEY'RE FAKE. Deal.

it's 3 am sorry if this makes no sense and/or is needlessly aggressive. i promise i'm not mad.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:01 AM   #882
Mercutio
Banned

I also liked it. Looks wicked.

As does Star Wars 7 although we all know that that will make us really sad when it inevitably cpmes out and is utterly shite.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #883
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Aww come on Kush, you can't know that for su-

Oh, J.J. Abrams is directing, never mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #884
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Movies that you've watched like a month ago or two do count as recently seen, yes?

Pokemon The Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction: Felt like forever since they dubbed the trailer for the movie. But that waiting was worth it since the movie was better than I expected overall. Animation looks nice, story actually doesn't feel WTF or boring, etc. Probably in my Top 10 Favorite Pokemon movies.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Managed to actually watch this movie at a theater thay somehow still had it. Really fun movie to watch, performances were top notch from everyone, soundtrack was nice too. Would watch again.

>Star Wars

The lens flare will likely be irritating but I have some faith they'll make the movie good. It's not like the prequels where they had terrible characters almost everywhere.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #885
Kryptos
Pokemon Trainer

I recently watched The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #886
Mercutio
Banned

Oh I forgot about that.

Five Armies sucked major donkey balls. Incredibly poorly edited.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #887
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I recently watched a kickstarter film called "Blue Ruin" which came out in 2013. Essentially it's a revenge thriller, but at a normal human non-actiony pace. The main character is essentially a hobo with no skills necessary for his revenge plot.

I highly recommend it. It's well done overall. The acting is great. The music was well thought out for their scenes. Pacing a bit slow, but still well done.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #888
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Oh I forgot about that.

Five Armies sucked major donkey balls. Incredibly poorly edited.
Second. Plus it was just... stupid. Like really, really stupid. The fighting choreography in particular was just fucking silly.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 12-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #889
Loki

Silly as in unfeasible or not very deadly or Three Stooges har har?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #890
Mercutio
Banned

The former. There was very little slapstick and a whole lot of using a mace on a frozen lake.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #891
Red Panda
head head bitch

Yeah I just saw it.

For the most part I'm happy with movie and liked it.

The fight scenes were fairly difficult to follow and that last one that Kush just mentioned was... bad.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #892
Mercutio
Banned

If you feel like pissing off the Koreans, The Interview is quite good. Franco is annoying at times and it's a bit racist but I enjoyed it until the last 20 minutes when my suspension of disbelief broke
Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #893
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Interstellar may have just changed my life.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #894
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Watched Into The Woodsthe other day and lurved it. While it definitely had its flaws, which I felt were more evident in the second act, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Meryl Steep for life btws.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #895
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

PG you dick I was literally just coming in here to say that. I was very impressed by the general quality of the singing, especially from James Corden and Chris Pine (who looks waaaaaaaaay too much like Liam Hemsworth in this movie), the setpieces were gorgeous and of course, Meryl Streep. Bae.

I think the princes' duet was my favourite part, but I'm a sucker for ham to ham combat like that, and they clearly revelled in the OTTness of the whole thing. Though I was VERY disappointed that No More was cut (apart from some of the melody), since it's my favourite song.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 01-22-2015, 02:10 AM   #896
Torkoal Stu
This

I saw Wild with Reese Witherspoon the other day, and I thought it was really good.

Reese definitely pulled it out of the bag.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #897
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
If you feel like pissing off the Koreans, The Interview is quite good. Franco is annoying at times and it's a bit racist but I enjoyed it until the last 20 minutes when my suspension of disbelief broke
I pretty much have the same feelings.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #898
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
Watched Into The Woodsthe other day and lurved it. While it definitely had its flaws, which I felt were more evident in the second act, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Meryl Steep for life btws.
Yeah basically this. I'm not a huge fan of the source material, I don't think it's as clever as it thinks it is, but it's a good adaptation.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #899
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I watched Wreck-it-Ralph.

I think my rep of never finishing titles or stopping half-way is so pervasive, I don't have to say anything more to attest the show's quality beyond that I finished it in one go.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #900
Loki

Anyone who was a fan or at least has seen the 1989 Batman or Batman Returns, they should really check out Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance). A very good movie about a washed up actor who tried to reinvigorate his career by doing a Broadway play.

Michael Keaton, Emma Stone, Ed Norton, Zach Galifanakis star in the film with good acting, and with the role of the washed up actor being played by Keaton, it kind of feels almost realistic. The film itself is done almost like a play with only a few 'cut aways', most of the film being scenes that freely flow into other scenes similar to a play to mirror the work in the film itself.

TLDR Good film. Watch it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment