UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

TUGs

what

Last edited by swampert28; 12-05-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampert28 View Post
?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

No one knows you idiot.

Be more specific.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

O I REMMEBER MY FIRST BEER
Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I thought we banned this kid.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I thought that was ObviousUser2011 or something.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Why, TUGs stands for Tough Underground Gynecologists. They're only the most influential post-doom-pop band of the late 1990s, gawd. Saw 'em on their Monkey Fingers Tour last year when they reunited, and I think I lost the feeling in my ears for two days afterwards, those guitars were so noisy.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #8
Silver Wind
breezy metallics~

Galvantula

I lost my virginity to TUGs hit single, "Itchy Bitchy Spider"

Spoiler: show

Fizzy Bubbles
° ° ° °
° ° ° °
Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Good choice of song there... the greatest thing about TUGs, if you ask me, is how they managed to get their weirdly beautiful pop songs to shine through all those layers of homicidal riffage. That they managed to make something as creepily sexy and yet totally accessible as "Itchy Bitchy Spider" while keeping their usual sound says a lot about their talents. Pity the label had to screw them over and "Medicine Dog" probably won't ever see the light of day. All the insiders say that it would have been an instant classic.

...crap, I'm rambling. Can't help it, I never get an excuse to talk about this amazing band. So great to see another fan on here. ;A;
Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatori View Post
the greatest thing about TUGs
This wording made me think,

"The wonderful thing about TUGgers ...!"
Old 12-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
Silver Wind
breezy metallics~

This topic NEEDS discussion, we should thank swampert for bringing this to UPN's attention. Anyway, If only the children of today could understand the instrumental genius behind their heavy usage of Cow Bell and Jazz Flute, instead of listening to the corporately produced bands like Blue Eyed Banana's or Ru$ha. "Medicine Dog" could have brought us back to a when music wasn't only music, but to a time when it was considered yiddish.

Fizzy Bubbles
° ° ° °
° ° ° °
Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

...aye, Ru$ha. I have a confession to make: When I was stuck in the long haul of school project funtimes last spring, I'd put on the local Top 40 station in the background when at home, because I wanted some background music that wouldn't be too distracting. And that freaking "Slow" song was eeeeeverywhere. I got sick of it in record time! "This place going too slow..." pshaw. Luckily, we live in a world where it's easier to avoid the Ru$has and Justin Meemers of the world if you avoid a certain set of channels. (And don't use Twitter, in the latter case. =3=)

All the sources say "Medicine Dog" would have been an amaaaaazing album, but I have to wonder why they hype it as the album that'd make TUGs a household name once and for all. I know they had that hit in "Itchy Bitchy Spider," but everyone I talk to who remembers that song sees it as one of those mid-late 90s one-hit wonders--kinda like "Reproduction and Confectionary." And I think the name was a real turnoff for some people. At least the people on the radio could call them "The TUGs," but people give me funny looks when I say the actual name. Maybe "Medicine Dog" wouldn't have had extraordinary mainstream success, but could have influenced some wet-behind-the-ears newcomers who'd blow the doors open a few years later. Well, it's fun to dream, anyway.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

For someone completely unversed in the ways of TUGs, would the lovely Hannah Tory be able to make me a list of introductory albums and/or songs with which to start my enlightenment?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Sure! They released a new album called "Quetzalcoatl" just a few months ago; it's more or less their "reunion" album so it's a bit controversial among fans. It's pretty much fifty minutes of pure TUGs sound. "Castle of Agamids" is the one with "Itchy Bitchy Spider," which is kinda their black sheep hit, to use the TV Tropes term. It was more of a novelty song than anything else. But it's a pretty solid album. Be careful of their self-titled first album, which is decent on its own but spends way too little time playing to their strengths and way too much time being overly derivative of early 90s grunge stuff. Their second, "Ghost Chilli," is pretty much considered the genre launcher for post-doom-pop in general. It's where they really found their confidence and sound. It's a lot less accessible than "Quetzalcoatl" and "Castle of Agamids" though, which is why I recommend those first.

For individual songs, they also released a rather tongue-in-cheek compilation album called "We Did Itchy Bitchy Spider, Remember?" that's a good overview of their career up until the reunion. Hard to go wrong with the material on there, particularly stuff like "In My Defense" and "Build a Castle." Even includes some recordings from their live shows, and let me tell you, they are tremendous live. You haven't truly experienced TUGs till you've seen them live. Just be sure to bring some earplugs if you need your hearing the next day.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Hana, where should I go to find TUGs? I was in the mall the other day and I saw an album by TUGs, I think it was "Flushing Down Something I Ate Six Weeks Ago", but then one of the street performers outside began doing some chemistry.

So I went back a few days later to where the mall used to be, but I couldn't find the album again. Could you help me?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #16
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

"Flushing Down Something I Ate Six Weeks Ago"? You probably spotted the single, which they released a little while after "Itchy Bitchy Spider" made it big. They didn't like having mainstream success and started attempting sabotage. Copies go for a decent bit on eBay, roughly ~$25 from what I've seen. But I wouldn't worry too much unless you've become a hardcore TUGs fan and decided to get everything for completionist's sake. The same song's on the WDIBSR comp (and the Japanese release of Castle of Agamids--lucky them and their bonus tracks!), which, as I mentioned to Jeri, are fine starting points if you're new.

As for where to find them, their current label, Poison Dart Records, carries pretty much all of their catalog and has a neat online store. Otherwise, you might be able to find plenty of copies of Castle of Agamids and the album after that, Flagging Peregrine, in used CD bins everywhere. If you know a good independent record store, there's a high chance they might have the recent stuff and some back catalog. Might even still have Quetzalcoatl on vinyl. =3=
Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

So Hana I took your advice, and I went to Poison Dart's online store. They had a sale, and for $10 I'm listening to their brand-new album, "WHEEEEEEE". I must say that, compared to my other purchase, the $25 Itchy Bitchy Spider, it doesn't contain that same intensity, music-wise, that was seen earlier in the TUGs' career.

You can really tell they're kind of getting a little bit old, because the lyrics of this song, "Inflections of an Old Porch Swing", don't make much sense.

"I listen to the birds as they sweetly bark,
And it's all okay with me
So I said to the bear, let's go to the park,
And then he became a clown,
Why didn't the snake do it yesterday?
I really wanted it to happen..."

Something tells me this song was translated or mathematically generated, or perhaps the TUGs are going senile. This would be a terrible thing, as the TUGs are the premium talent in the post-doom-pop world; if they disappear, the whole genre could crash.

This is my favorite line from Itchy Bitchy Spider:
And the Itchy Bitchy Spider,
Couldn't just let this slide!
So, she climbed back up that spout and then,
The Air Force bombed the hell out of that spout again!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Hey, I didn't respond to this cause I didn't get to listen to the album till yesterday - my brother got it for me because he knew I was a huge TUGs fan. I definitely agree with you on "Inflections of an Old Porch Swing" - I feel like there's a line between having silly lyrics and having lyrics that are utter nonsense, and that one crosses the line for certain. Indeed, I was rather disappointed overall with "WHEEEEEE." That said...

A couple of deep cuts excited me more than anything else on this or on "Quetzalcoatl" - I noticed them adding a touch of bluesy garage rock to their usual riffage on "Yellow Plush Ball" and "Sally Mander," the latter of which is a great little laid back six-minute jam. I can't help but wonder if they noticed their lack of energy compared to the material on "Ghost Chilli" and "Mad God Chomper" and tried to adjust accordingly.

I see it as a glimmer of hope for better things, albeit one completely out of left field. They're supposed to be touring with the son of Wet Biscuit McGlee starting in mid-January, which should be an interesting show. Son of a Scottish bluesman and the post-doom-pop band, reunited? An interesting double bill to say the least. tungsten
Old 12-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I heard the ghost of Abraham Lincoln showed up at their last live concert and jammed with them. Hana, please confirm/deny.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #20
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
I read it was Benjamin Franklin.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Yes and no. For their Quetzalcoatl tour, they employed a couple extra members who would dress up as Abraham Lincoln and Benjamin Franklin and play extra guitars on songs like "Carmen Miranda's Ghost" (a fantastic tune from Mad God Chomper) and "Glass Shell" (my personal favorite from Quetzalcoatl.)

It was funny as hell! Particularly because both of them liked doing silly rock star moves, too. You should have seen Ben Franklin waggling his tongue suggestively at Annie, the TUGs' lead singer.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Hana, Hana! Have you heard about the TUGs' newest album? It's called "TUGS on a BOAT" and features real boat noises!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
'Steamboat' is classic TUGs. Very nice indeed.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
deoxys
Fog Badge

ITT, we circlejerk talk about a fictional great band after OP got blazed at their concert and made a thread

My favorite TUGs song is 'People Who Live In Rocks Shouldn't Throw Glass Houses', but it was an EP and exclusive to vinyl with only 50 prints, so you've probably never heard of it.

Last edited by deoxys; 01-07-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Fuck man. Let me tell you a8out TUGs. Holy shit. They are awesome.

That is all.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc