UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Mirror
Team Magma Grunt

What do you think about Hoenn?

This is only my second post, so I'm not really experienced. Tell me if I'm breaking any rules.

Hoenn is definitely my favorite region. It's so diverse... From the houses in Fortree to the ones in Mossdeep, from the waist-high grass to the grass showing only the bow on your head, above water and below water... It's beautiful. I hope to see Johto and Sinnoh sometime, but Hoenn is my idea of perfect. I'm still trying to memorize the names of countless Pokémon, from torkoal to azurill. The only problem I have with it is no ditto in Sapphire!

Please tell me what you think!

Oh, I think this is in the wrong section. Sorry about that.
Also I did make sense of it. And lasered up your eyes so not only can you see w/o them, you can also shoot eye lasers at will. Poor, poor Will.
Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Re: What do you think about Hoenn?

No problems I moved it to the right place!

Lotsa people complained Hoenn had to much water but surfing through that endless sea with no pkmn center in sight was all part of the adventure! Plus the underwater area stuff was cool to. I loved Fortree City as well that was just a really next town! Hoenn is for sures my fave region!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Mirror
Team Magma Grunt

It gets easier once you can use fly.

I always get lost in Hoenn. I have no problem like that in Kanto. Still, I love the idea of secret bases, even if you can have only one. I have a scale of note mats and like to run down them. Flash also has more of a purpose in Hoenn than it does in Kanto. The Pokémon seem more interesting, too.

I want to trade with my LeafGreen so I can have a ditto on Sapphire. LeafGreen would be happy to have a female Absol. I managed to catch one after a while.

Also, thank you for moving this.

The elite four was too easy for me. Tashiro took out all the dark Pokémon with sky uppercut, all the ghosts with blaze kick, and some of the ice, I think... Or maybe that was Senryaku, my absol.

Kyo the Kyogre (pronounced Kee-yoh) defeated the 10 level higher dragons with ice beam. Yes, I gave up my habit of not nicknaming legendaries, except "perturbation" wouldn't fit for my Latias' name. i wanted Latios more...
Also I did make sense of it. And lasered up your eyes so not only can you see w/o them, you can also shoot eye lasers at will. Poor, poor Will.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

To be honest I didn't like Hoenn all that much. I agree with the "too much water part" and most of the land areas were too bland for me. :/ I don't know I just wasn't a big fan of it. My favorite is definatly Johto/Kanto but that may be in part with the fact I liked the older games more as well.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
Mirror
Team Magma Grunt

I want to see Johto sometime. I think I will end up with at least five games... i already have three. Leafgreen, that was awesome! I just caught Mewtwo...

Ack! Off topic! Must avoid tangents...

Yes, there is an excess of water. I miss that man with Peeko. I can't find him anywhere!
Old 05-31-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

The next Pokemon series should not only have the newest region, but allow you to go visit Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. That would be awesome.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Mirror
Team Magma Grunt

Quote:
There should be a white and black, and then you know how there's usually that third one? That would be grey. Lol! And it should have it so you can go to ALL of the regions, every single one, and gather up like, what, 20 some badges? Probably more, though. that would be a game I'd buy.
That was from Japan Forum. I can't make a link to it, for some reason.

There is someone in agreement with you. I had trouble counting all the legendaries that would be in those.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>The next Pokemon series should not only have the newest region, but allow you to go visit Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. That would be awesome.

That'd be really cool if it were technically possible without having to make multiple cartages that can't transfer data between each other.

Though I suppose you could release a DS/GBA thing utilizing the DS's GBA slot. I've seen it done with homebrew programs to up their memory, and it could probably be applied to games.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Betagold
Pokemon Trainer

It'd be awesome if you could, though I'm not too enthusiastic with the prospect of having a Guitar Hero-esque memory unit sticking out of the bottom of my DS.
Betagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You guys are overreacting about the size that would take up. I think. O.o I hope. :P

Besides, let's say you're right and they can only fit a world the size of DP's onto one DS pak. In that case, they could always package the game like this: it comes with 2 paks in the box, one is a DS pak and the other a GBA rewritable pak. The GBA pak is what stores the Pokemon data from your adventure while the DS pak is what stores the maps and ROM data. This is how they then get you to buy multiple DS paks for this generation:

Pokemon East (Kanto)
Pokemon West (Johto)
Pokemon South (Hoenn)
Pokemon North (Sinnoh)

Literally, considering it's Kantou, Kansai, Shikoku, and Hokkaidou.

Sell them each for $30, and easily make $120 from the Pokenuts.

Bad idea cost-wise, but I sort of like it pak-wise because it'd be fun to go to this special save point in your game, the Shinkansen, and turn off your DS, rip out the East pak, and shove in the North pak, and then you start it back up the game shows a bullet train pulling into a station and it says, "NOW ARRIVING FROM KANTO ... NOW ARRIVING FROM KANTO ... THE KANTO-SINNOH EXPRESS." Or something. :P
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think the DS cart could support enough maps for 2 regions. There's a surprising amount of space on those tiny things, and Pokemon and item data takes up a small fraction of the total data, actually. Most of it is art, map, and event, to my understanding. Don't quote me on that though; I'm no expert.

More on topic:

I'm so much of a nerd, I could navigate virtually every Pokemon region (with the exception of the odd rarely-visited sea route and cave) in my sleep. Except Sinnoh. I've only had one playthrough of Pearl, and a rushed one at that.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
Betagold
Pokemon Trainer

Pokemon probably has enough influence with Nintendo that if they needed a bigger cart, they'd get it.
Betagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betagold
Pokemon probably has enough influence with Nintendo that if they needed a bigger cart, they'd get it.
Cue transfer pack from way back when. It was pretty much made for Pokemon Stadium and I don't think any other games really used it.

One of the things I'd love to see most is a Pokemon game with every region. Or maybe a Pokemon MMO but I know that would never happen.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Jeri, I not only agree, but ... lol, I disagree ;) in that I am of the opinion the cart could easily hold all four regions, not just two. I agree that Pokemon takes up no space at all. The maps ... the items ... none of it. RPGs with no movie files are some of the smallest games out there. A simple fighter that you can fully beat in 4 hours could take up more space than a 60-hour RPG easy. Physics engine and major 3D graphics > 2D graphics and ridiculously simplistic nearly pure-text gameplay.

I only wrote what I wrote to suggest there are ways to make the dream come true EVEN IF one single cart couldn't handle the space issues demanded.

But you've reminded me ... I'd actually rather NOT have a game that had all four maps IF I was given the following choice:
a) Pokemon game ~identical to Pearl in terms of graphics, gameplay, etc. but now it's got 4x the story and 4x the map with the chance to adventure in Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn

b) Pokemon game ~identical to Pearl in terms of gameplay, story, etc. but rendered in the best 3D ever (forget that Battle Revolution bullshit, I'm talking something like Twilight Princess but better!) and for the Wii instead of the DS. (You throw the Pokeball by "throwing" your arm with the Wiimote in it; you fetch your Pokedex by dropping your nunchuck down to your side and clicking on the C button; you turn around, rummage in your backpack, and pull out a different Pokeball by clicking the 1 button and aiming at the backpack's contents with your Wiimote; etc.)

I'll take B over A any day. But yes, A is good too. Very, very good.

EDIT: Almost forgot. B would be in first person, so you really are the trainer. You would never see "him"/"her" onscreen. You'd see your hands, and maybe your reflection in water and mirrors.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Hm, it seems that that dream isn't an impractical reality. Nintendo now has bigger cards that could potentially hold a whole lot of maps.

From Nintendo DS, from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Nintendo DS games use a proprietary solid state ROM "game card" format resembling the memory cards used in other portable electronic devices such as digital cameras. It currently supports cards up to 2 gigabit (2048 Mb or 256 MB) in size (with ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat being the first DS game to use a 2 gigabit card),[21][22] which is four times the amount of memory that the largest Nintendo 64 cartridge was able to store (512 Mb or 64 MB). The cards always have a small amount of flash memory or an EEPROM to save user data such as game progress or high scores. The game cards are 33.0 mm Ă— 35.0 mm Ă— 3.8 mm (approximately half the width and half as thick as Game Boy Advance cartridges) and weigh around 3.5 g (1/8 ounce).
Now, I have no idea what specifics'd be like, but that's a hell of a lot of space, considering games like LoZ: OoT made it onto the N64.

Also, I would totally go for B. That's like my Pokemon dream. Colosseum and XD revived hope for that, but the way they played out with a real lack of wild Pokemon and that true Pokemon feel we've all come to know and love, I was never completely satisfied.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
Lady Kuno

I wouldn't care for something like B. The system it's on and graphics isn't a large concern for me, but I would like to see something like a Pokemon MMO. Seriously, so many people would buy and play it, they would make a fortune.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I would fear for my future career if they made a Pokémon MMO. I'd be all over beta and *gulp* would be willing to pay $20/mo for that for the first few months of the final build to see if a community gathers around it or not.

Some problems I can foresee with a Pokemon MMO, though, that would have to be resolved for it to be any good in the long run:
  1. they would have to give all 400+ of the creatures at least two good damage-dealing moves from Levels 0-20. This is especially important for "shitty monsters" because the currently so-called "shitty monsters" would probably be the ones dominating the early scene, and it'd be a horrible grinding Hell to level monsters like Beedrill and Sentret up if they didn't have more oomph to 'em.[/*15gxnbug]
  2. they would also have to make it so that ĂĽbers are either very rare in the wild or (fuck) are only rarely given out at special in-game events to random trainers. It wouldn't be fair if the ĂĽbers were given out to the top 200 on the server (or something) because then the rich'd just keep getting richer while the poor get poorer. It would also be fucking ridiculous if everyone could have easy access to Metagross, Blissey, etc. Pokémon that are said to be rare would need to be kept rare. To keep the illusion going.[/*15gxnbug]
  3. To that effect, they may even have to institute a "rareness rule" (sort of like what we almost saw in Mystery Dungeon) where you're more than free to have infinitely many rares in your collection but you're limited to how many rares you can have on your active team at once. For example[list:15gxnbug]
  4. nobody could own any legendaries, though they may have a badge or other proof of having seen/battled/defeated a legendary.[/*15gxnbug]
  5. you could only have two DP ĂĽbers on your team, including your starter. For example, you could have Blissey and Tyranitar and then that would be it. From there you'd need to have Pokémon like Arcanine, Marowak, or other half-decents who fight well but aren't the best of the best. No "Blissey Electivire Rhyperior Glaceon Starmie Infernape" bullshit. Which is what makes the real games fun but would get VERY VERY STALE very very quickly in an MMO. It would be fucking boring if every time you fought a new trainer they had those creatures, or if a raid consisted of like-minded teams like that. (Reminder: you can have infinite rares in your PC. Just not on your ACTIVE TEAM.)[/*15gxnbug]
[/*15gxnbug][*]perhaps the MMO could give a power-up incentive to people who have all six Pokémon on their team share a type. In other words, "a gym leader boost" to compensate for the fact that battling with 6 Grass Types is a horribly horribly retarded idea normally. They could make it something like "you get to attack 3 times for every 2 times they get to attack you" or they could make it "all of your Pokémon gain 33% additional HP" or they could even make it "the odds of a rare drop are increased by 10% for having one party member who has all the same type and an additional 5% for each additional party member who does it too" (ex. we're going on a Level 60 dungeon raid and I've got all six Grass and Kuno has all six Psychic and Loki has all six Dark, it means that the chances of the final boss dropping a rare item are increased by 20%). Anything which would promote what we see in the anime (and would be, imo, healthy for building a sense of culture in the Pokemon MMO) where trainers "specialize" in a certain type. Something that's simply not permitted by the current video games.[/*15gxnbug][/list15gxnbug]
Old 06-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

One more major detail I forgot about which is pretty crucial to the MMO succeeding in my heart and I'm sure in your heart, Kuno, and in the hearts of millions of potential fans:

The games would need to allow for UU Pokémon to be usable and usable in versatile ways.

THE WAY THE GAME EXISTS TODAY:
- you can't use Bulbasaur to win a WiFi fight. Period.
- you can use Jumpluff in a WiFi fight, but you have to use him in a certain way that is really boring and not quite what you had hoped for.

THE WAY THE GAME NEEDS TO EXIST IN AN MMO:
- if somebody wants to use Bulbasaur, somewhere towards "the first end game" (for example, towards Level 30 or Level 40), that person can go on a quest and if they succeed it will give them a badge which will make the stats of their unevolved guy equal to what his stats would have been if he were fully evolved. In other words, if he has shitty base stats, he'll still have shitty base stats, but he'll have the stats of a Venusaur and not a baby Bulbasaur. Despite still looking like a Bulbasaur.

- if somebody wants to use, say, "Nidoking because he looks really awesome and can learn Earthquake and Ice Beam and Flamethrower" ... I have no idea how they can make this happen without pissing all over the hardcore fans, but I'd like to see it happen somehow. Maybe in one of two ways:
a) make segregated servers and have one server be the "EVERYONE'S A WINNAR" server where you can play an aggro Jumpluff or a support-role Tyranitar and have another server be "the regular server"
b) keep stats and moves the same for now, but maybe at least introduce the idea of "classes" for Pokemon. (Sort of like letting us choose our own Natures, only even more powerful.) So for example, you can choose to have an Aggro Jumpluff or a Support Jumpluff. Jumpluff is built for support, but if you insist on having an Aggro Jumpluff then the game will give you a Jumpluff whose speed stat is sort of nerfed but who at least now has a little more bite to him.

I dunno. That last one is hard to pull off. But the first one? About having a Bulbasaur by looks but a Venusaur by stats? That is incredibly easy to pull off and imo should be allowed for a Pokemon MMO to be successful. If I wanted to play with Raichu, Venusaur, and Exploud, I'd be playing the real game. I came to the MMO to play with Pikachu, Bulbasaur, and Whismur. That's sort of my view on this. And like I said, they don't have to enable it immediately. They can make you work and sweat for it. And make you prove, "Yes, I really want this, and yes, I really deserve this. I played the game for 40 fucking levels with unevolveds. Give me the goddamn badge that gives them their evolved stats."
Old 06-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Mirror
Team Magma Grunt

Quote:
nobody could own any legendaries, though they may have a badge or other proof of having seen/battled/defeated a legendary.
Hm.. I don't think I would purchase that game. Kyogre was awesome against the elite four and my Rayquaza, despite being one of the strongest on my current team, is hardly weaker than my blaziken at the same level (71). My kyogre was at level 45 and defeated Pokémon at higher levels easily. My blaziken is, I think, as strong as any legendary, so why allow starters and not legendaries? It doesn't make sense to me. Part of the game's appeal is capturing these creatures, so why remove them?

Maybe I have not read your posts correctly, but I love the excitement, irritation, and waste of ultra balls that legendaries provide. Why take them out?

Also, why do I have to keep subscribing to this topic? I don't want email notification, but I want my account to remember this thread.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #20
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror
Quote:
nobody could own any legendaries, though they may have a badge or other proof of having seen/battled/defeated a legendary.
Hm.. I don't think I would purchase that game. Kyogre was awesome against the elite four and my Rayquaza, despite being one of the strongest on my current team, is hardly weaker than my blaziken at the same level (71). My kyogre was at level 45 and defeated Pokémon at higher levels easily. My blaziken is, I think, as strong as any legendary, so why allow starters and not legendaries? It doesn't make sense to me. Part of the game's appeal is capturing these creatures, so why remove them?

Maybe I have not read your posts correctly, but I love the excitement, irritation, and waste of ultra balls that legendaries provide. Why take them out?
Legendaries should still be in the game. They would just be (obviously) alot rarer and highly sought after. It would be the type of thing you can get but you would need to be really strong and get really lucky to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror
Also, why do I have to keep subscribing to this topic? I don't want email notification, but I want my account to remember this thread.
I never use that feature so I have no idea. I think there's an option somewhere. >.>

Old 09-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
deoxys
Fog Badge

A Pokemon MMO is pretty much what I've always dreamed of. I've searched far and wide for such a thing. I've come across:

Still in development, but looking to be the most promising of them all: http://pkmnonline.org

http://pokemonworldonline.net
Still in beta version.... actually really cool. Too bad there are a ton of losers who ru around yelling "BUY MY POKEMON!" all of the time. GM's moderate this and a few hundred people were on when I was.

http://pokeglobal.net
Very interesting. Still in beta v4. It's a bit laggy, and it's full of errors. However, it does cover New Bark town, Cherrygrove City, Violet City, the park, and all of the routes inbetween. However, caves and buildings can't be accessed. There were 16 people on when I played... it was really neat.

http://pokemonindigo.com/
Pretty much like Pokemon Crater. You don't have to download it, it plays on the site. I don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor
Legendaries should still be in the game. They would just be (obviously) alot rarer and highly sought after. It would be the type of thing you can get but you would need to be really strong and get really lucky to find.
Exactly. Basically, keep legendaries, but make it FFXI style. For example: You can't go on a quest for certain legendaries until you have certain experience, and when you do go on the quest, it has to be extremely difficult. Not the normal "character enters cave, turns left, uses strength, find the legendary, the end" bull crap. Basically, in order to keep it fair, the pokemon must be incredibly hard to find, battle, and capture. For some incredibly powerful Pokemon, such as Lugia or Mewtwo, or something like that, maybe it would be even better for trainers to go in groups and battle it, by doing a 2 on 1 battle. Each trainer would capture a copy of it.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #22
Spikkle
Cascade Badge

Send a message via MSN to Spikkle
Pokemon reached perfection at Johto. They should have added Mudkip onto that, and left it there.

Spikkle ------ Hollo ------ Tyke ------ Kooky Monster ------ Blake ------ Rockon

PASBL Squad | Fizzy Bubbles | Winner of deo's Award for Least Intelligent Comment of All Time

Need refs for: vs. Copy (new match)

Bonus:
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Pikachu is like me when I play tennis. If I play someone that sucks, I start to suck and lose. But if I play someone good, I play somewhat decently and still lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
"One cross referee; one wayward pinch of banned narcotic substance, one RNG... AND KABLOOIE!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
And the round starts off with both Pokemon pulling out a Monopoly Board and.. it seems to work! Relicanth starts things off by picking the Tophat. Vulpix seems to be upset, as he coveted that piece. Luckily for him he does just that! Vulpix uses Covet and gets to play with the Tophat piece. Relicanth looks quite upset by these turn of events, and decides to use the Car instead!

The round continues with Relicanth landing on Central Avenue! He decides to purchase the property.. it's super effective! Vulpix instead decides to use Imprison! Suddenly Relicanth finds himself in jail! What an exciting twist! The round ends with Relicanth unable to do anything else at the moment.

Spikkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #23
iAmDewgong
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to iAmDewgong
I think Johto was coolest game. Probably becuase that's the gen I played the most, but well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosuser
MetagroĂź: Male Beldum
MetagroĂź is a totally metal dude. One day, Kuno's voice boomed out, "YOUR STRUGGLE TOTALLY MAKES YOU METAL." This benediction fueled MetagroĂź' determination to keep struggling to the very end. In his neverending struggle to fulfill his destiny, MetagroĂź sought out Morg for enlightenment. Morg looked with respect upon MetagroĂź' tireless struggle and permitted him to train alongside his Magikarp. Now, MetagroĂź has learned not to be mastered by its struggle, but to be the master of its Struggle.
iAmDewgong is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON