UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Final Fantasy General Discussion Thread

After diligently searching throughout the video games forum, I detected the lack of a thread where one could discuss their various Final Fantasy adventures with carefree abandon.

This is unacceptable! So, I am making the thread at risk of their being another one already(thought I don't see it, but I wouldn't be surprised myself to be honest).

So, this thread is basically anything goes. Want to talk about playing the first Final Fantasy? Sure. Want to discuss how awesome FFXIII was? You can! You can even hate on FFVII here if you so wish.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So do you actually have something you want to discuss? Or are you just firstwhoring?

We have stand-alone threads for other FFs and I'd encourage that to continue, but a catch-all thread is fine for people discussing the franchise overall.

Here's a discussion topic for you: whether Final Fantasy has outstayed its welcome and needs to go into hibernation for a good, long while or not. Some say yes, absolutely; others say no way. What do you think?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Emi

I am not firstwhoring! I think I know what that means. I just wanted to make a catch-all thread.

And while we do have stand-alone threads, the only game that was ever discussed was FFTA. Not a single other one really.

On your question, I don't think it has overstayed its welcome, I just think that the market at the moment really isn't good for it anymore. I loved Final Fantasy XIII. But I know that a lot of other people didn't, and that's understandable. But with other RPGs out like Bioshock Infinite and Mass Effect, its very difficult to try and make a JRPG that appeals to the Western audiences that don't already enjoy JRPGs. Not to mention most of the Western audiences honestly don't pay half as much attention to story as we think they do.

I would be willing to wait a couple more years for a really nice FFXV.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I haven't played FF13 myself (no PS3, no XBox 360), but my friend who has and dropped it complained about the usual things one hears:
  • the hallway/corridor design of the opening 20-25%
  • Vanille's terrible English voice
  • boring or annoying cast of characters (particularly Vanille and Snow)
  • "the game plays itself -.-;"
I'm not sure how close that final complaint is to FF12's gambit system, but man if I didn't love the gambit system! It's one reason I think I'd actually enjoy FF13 where others have not.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I haven't played FF13 myself (no PS3, no XBox 360), but my friend who has and dropped it complained about the usual things one hears:
  • the hallway/corridor design of the opening 20-25%
  • Vanille's terrible English voice
  • boring or annoying cast of characters (particularly Vanille and Snow)
  • "the game plays itself -.-;"
I'm not sure how close that final complaint is to FF12's gambit system, but man if I didn't love the gambit system! It's one reason I think I'd actually enjoy FF13 where others have not.
1. The first four chapters are pretty linear, but so is basically every Final Fantasy game I've ever played with the possible exception of FFVI. Generally that's how it is.

2. I find her voice to be hilarious, but they probably could have gotten something better.

3. I personally like Fang and Sazh more than the main character, and Hope to me is probably the worst out of the bunch. He is to me a very inconsistent character.

4. I've never played FFXII, but I can tell you about how the "Auto" system works. Basically, the game will set a stock of commands based on the situation: monster stats, certain cues (such as delivers devastating physical attacks in the info), and how the party is doing. You can set your own commands, but it takes more time and wasting time generally is a bad thing in this game.

But if you think you can stay in Relentless Assualt the entire game and breeze through I assure you you are going to get your ass kicked so many times its not even funny. This game requires a lot of split second thinking and planning ahead, especially if you don't know the monster's behavior before hand. Plus, the sheer amount of possibilities with the Crystarium and weapon upgrades make a huge difference onto how the game its played. My first Lightning set was an Axis Blade speedy set, because of the possbile 30%+ ATB through hidden abilities and the 50%+ from Haste. It essentially allows Lightning to get off attacks a hell of a lot faster than other characters, but the weapons that are used don't have a lot of power compared to the Blazefire Saber or other more powerful weapons. I used a magic nuke set with Hope, but it had no extra benefits and the hidden abilities one could get from the weapon(Magic Wall) are complete crap. So there is a lot more to the game than "stack commands, always win".

FFXIII-2 definitely capitalizes on that since you now have to consider you are running with five different teammates but only one is out at any time. In FFXIII, with enough effort, every character can reach every single class and create every single paradigm. In FFXIII-2, the monsters only have one class, and this limits the paradigms on can make. So if you use a Flanitor as a teammate(Medic), then you also have to consider how Serah and Noel are going to be able to act in the paradigm and who should perform what role. Plus, while some monsters have really good abilities, like the Pulsework Gladiator and CP Bonus, sometimes that stats are terrible or they require a huge amount of work to obtain those abilities. So, you also have that to consider as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I don't think the series has necessarily outstayed it's welcome. 13 was arguably the worst of the lot, but 12 is a strong contender for my favourite and I don't think it's fair to write it off after one bum game. 1-3, 7 and 11 are all pretty terrible too, but if they'd not kept going we'd never have had the excellent 6, 8, 9, 10 or 12 (although 10 has sadly not aged as well as my eleven year old self was convinced it would). JRPG's as a whole are suffering because for the most part they've made no effort to change in the last twenty years and are being overrun by more innovating western RPG's. The genre's gotten stale and all we've had since FF12 from JRPG's are recycled storylines, the same bishonen main character in every single one and genre conventions that exist only because of technical limitations from the early nineties. Western RPG's vs JRPG's has traditionally been player choice vs better production/gameplay, but western has caught up on the latter and JRPG's have made zero effort at the former so unless Squeenix and their compatriots shape up the genre should die off. FF12 is an excellent game, but it's barely an RPG - there's no role playing involved, you make zero input into character development or choices or anything. Ditto with almost all JRPG's.

Tl;dr: FF has produced some excellent games so the series could carry on, but Squeenix need to stop living twenty years in the past.

Also side note, Blaze; Bioshock Infinite is in no way shape or form an RPG.

Last edited by Concept; 08-01-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Emi

Concept pretty much has the problem down. JRPGs are stale in people's mind.

Though I disagree with FF 2 being terrible. It had a pretty great story, good characters(though it really was a Firion and friends show, but I digress), and its growth system is IMO one of the best I've ever seen. Falls pretty close to what you would expect from a game where choice should make a difference. The EXP system is consistent but it doesn't allow for any choices on how a character's growth should occur(a personal favorite thing I liked about the Crystarium in FFXIII).
Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I'm not a big fan of the mainstream games; they just don't click for me. I love FFTA and FFTA2, and I want to play the original Tactics at some point, too. And FF1 is okay, as well. Others... meh
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Swarley
Pokemon Trainer

13 wasn't THAT bad. *shot*

No but really, I found it to be interesting. I wasn't a fan of the linear story, but it was fairly interesting.

13-2 was even better in my opinion, and, yes, I will be picking up 13-3.

And for the record, I kinda liked Vanille's voice *shot*

EDIT: AND I ALMOST BOUGHT A PS4 JUST FOR FFXIV AND XV.
14 seems to have evolved from the shitty MMO it was originally into something great. I can't wait for rerelease, though I know my computer can't handle it. I will probably eventually get that PS4 for it.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
deoxys
Fog Badge

I've admittedly never beaten a single Final Fantasy game, mostly because growing up I didn't own a SNES or a PlayStaton, but I've played several.

I will say I didn't care at all for Final Fantasy XII or XIII. I'm probably not very qualified to make such statements, but from what I know of the franchise and have experienced first hand, Final Fantasy, much like Sonic the Hedgehog, is a franchise that was better off before the PS2 era.

That said... Final Fantasy XV might very well be the next FFVII. Then again, a lot of people were saying that about the overhyped FFXIII, too, which turned out to be a ridiculously long, boring effort with little to no freedom.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Emi

So, in obscure games in the Final Fantasy department, 4 Heroes of Light for the DS. Started playing that a week ago.

It doesn't look bad and is actually pretty nice to look at...but everything about it, from the characters to the display to the scenery SCREAM Kirby 64: Crystal Shards and it honestly looks like a N64 game more than a DS game.

Gameplay isn't bad, but the AP system is frustrating and its a shame seeing them still use the horrendously bad "bosses can attack more than once per turn" thing that makes these fights a pain in the ass.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

4 Heroes of Light was a horrible game. At first it didn't seem too bad, but eventually the gameplay began to drag, and it had a horrible concept for like the first half of the game where the party was split up again and again.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Never split the party!
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I'm looking forward to Bravely Default: Flying Fairy.

Weirdly enough I've played FF4, 6, 10, and 12, but haven't beaten any of them. I much prefer FFTA and FFTA2, which are two of my favorite games of all time. I need to give FFT another shot soon.

I feel like Atlus has quietly slipped past the Final Fantasy games, at least on handheld, with games like Radiant Historia, which is just fantastic.

Final Fantasy XV could be really good, but I struggle to call it a true-blue JRPG. It's an action-RPG, like Kingdom Hearts. What they really should do is announce a new turn-based mainline Final Fantasy game, so they can appeal both to their core and to new players.

Also NEVER buy a new console on the assumption that a Final Fantasy game will come out for out. People got royally fucked over with Versus 13 that way.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
>Comes here to talk about how 4 heroes is not horrible

>Realizes he has nothing to say

>Cries
Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
>Comes here to talk about how 4 heroes is not horrible

>Realizes he has nothing to say

>Cries
4 Heroes suffers from many of the same things that FF III and FF IV DS had that made them more subpar. Basically a battle system that was irritating(FF III Job system), and for some reason a large difficulty spike that isn't present in other games.

Plus they can't seem to do DS graphics well enough.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #17
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

For me, Final Fantasy is pretty much "baby's first RPG" for me. FF7 was atleast. I've played all of the numbered FF's besides the MMOs. I used to really like them, but after getting into other RPGs, most of them are really boring.

I still think the Tactics games are really fun atleast.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
Emi

Tactics is really fun. It just takes a while to do anything in.

An Allosaurus next to the second town!? Egad!

Don't yell at me for abusing the Peninsula of Power, I'm trying to raise the Gil needed to support three mages. ;; What I'm doing is a random run, where my classes are picked randomly. And the order I get them in is the order they have to stay, which explains why m Black Mage is front-lining.

Money = Power in FF1.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Yeah, Concept and bbb kind of nailed it on the head. JRPGs were fun when I was a kid, but now they're too cinematic and don't give enough choice. I played FF1, 2, 7, 10, and 12. 12 was the only one I really liked and even that game had big flaws for me.

As for Tactics, I liked it at first, but on replays I found it extremely easy, tedious, and boring. Once you start getting the really good classes (Fighter, Ninja, Assassin, Sniper, Summoner, etc.), the game became way too easy. Even without the insane power classes, the game is really stacked against the AI in almost every way. The way laws work, the lack the AI using the Racial Summons. The fact that they were all generally ill equipped compared to the player.

If they ever remake FFTA, I hope they actually add a hard mode or some kind of series of challenges for post game.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

On the other hand, the AI didn't incur any penalties from breaking the law.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
The original Tactics is pretty great. Man I should play that game again. I seem to recall enjoying FFTA although not as much (fun fact: my username comes from the name of my brothers clan when I borrowed his copy of FFTA).
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
On the other hand, the AI didn't incur any penalties from breaking the law.
Yeah, but like 99% of the time they still attempted to avoid breaking laws. Laws were generally abused for the beneficial points rather than the crippling effect. And it was extremely easy to manipulate laws either by walking a few extra days until a beneficial law came up or using law altering cards.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Friends don't let friends play FFTA. Play FFT instead.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I own all the FFT games but I could never get into the first one. The depth that I enjoyed from FFTA seemed really lost on me in FFT.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I never played the first one I played the PSP remake.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games