UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Random Encounters with Fans

Oddly specific thread gooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Last night I went to the grocery. When I went to check out, there were two male employees standing near the front of the self-checkout lanes. One looked about 16 to 19 years old, the other looked about 24 to 30 years old. I didn't notice anything at the time, approached a self-checkout station, and went about my business. As I was scanning the last of my purchases, I overheard the older one ask, "Why did you get that one?" and the younger one responding, "Well, I only needed it for Pokémon."

So of course I turned around. And I saw that the younger one was holding a blue 2DS.

Smiling to myself, I turned around and -- slowly -- finished my business at the checkout station while listening to what else they might say. The younger one clearly is trying to move the conversation forward, not wanting to dwell on Pokémon lest his older co-worker think him childish or nerdy for playing that. The older one initially gives him this out, diverting the conversation into how he plays a bunch of downloaded games on his own smartphone. And then he says: "Including Pokémon." So we're right back into Pokémon, and the older one just starts talking about GSC, about how he looks stuff up on Serebii (!!!), so on and so forth. And the younger one clearly must be feeling "ohthankgodhelikespokemontoo," because he circles back around to mentioning a few things about Pokémon XY.

This is all happening over the span of like twenty to thirty seconds. Obviously I can't dawdle too long. So I grab my receipt and my bags and off I go, leaving these two late night grocery employees to their Pokémon discussion.

It's times like these that remind me that those 4 million American sales aren't just for show. Literally 1% of the US population -- over 1%, actually! -- have not only played but have purchased (or been the recipient of a purchase of) either Pokémon X or Pokémon Y.

So there's my humble little story. What's yours? Share your stories of chance encounters with fellow Pokémon fans.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON