UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Visionary Glade

Old 06-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat
Thunder Badge

Goomy Tales of the Sands - A Collection of Stories From Oasis Base

The desert is a strange place. The sands shift and change the landscape on their whims, as though the ground itself is some great beast, breathing and moving in its slumber. The sun and moon blaze brighter and seem to tear the place in two, a burning desert in the day and a frozen one at night. But most of all, the desert is strange for the winds. The desert winds live. They run and fly and sing like spirits, and their dancing sends sandstorms in every direction. The winds rule the desert, they know it better than anyone. They know everything that goes on, every grain of sand and every living thing. If you listen closely, you can hear them whisper about the things they've seen...
These are the stories of the desert, carried by the winds.

Last edited by sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat; 12-07-2021 at 10:23 AM.
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
Thunder Badge

The First Tale: Tale of Love

Across the sands, a whisper is heard. The dunes shift and a whorl of sand flies into the air... And on it rides a message. The winds have news of something strange, a new bloom in the desert. Something not often seen, but is welcomed when it blossoms. Not a plant, no, but a feeling. For today, a new love begins at the heart of the desert.

"Night Slash!"

"Superpower!"

BOOM.

The Cavern of Battles flickered with strange shadows as the great central lantern shook from the explosion. The two moves collided with the force of a small bomb, causing small stones to shake loose from the ceiling and both Trainers to lose their footing. The Fighting move won out, sending a second shockwave blasting across the arena and whipping Cy's hair and coat back. He stood up and threw out an arm, already a step ahead: "Now spin and use Leech Life!"

"NIIIIN-CADAAA!" came the reply, as a green spark flashed from within the smoke cloud. At the center of the explosion, Nincada grappled with Odo, Dracen's Trapinch. Nincada's right arm, the glow of the Dark energy already fading from it, was barely scratched by the resisted attack. She grinned as she knocked Odo up and away with a swipe, then landed and spun quickly to build momentum. Her other arm lit up with greenish Bug energy, the glow around her fighting with the cave's natural blue lighting to create a halo of aquamarine. Odo shook herself as Nincada jumped up to reach her, but didn't react fast enough. Nincada's powered-up claw slammed into her underbelly, sending her flying into the cave's ceiling, as Nincada's scrapes and bruises faded away.

"Axew ax axaxew! Axax, aaaaxewwww!" as Odo fell to the floor of the arena and was recalled, the call went out - Cy had won.

"Great battle, bro. You're getting a lot better at it!" Dracen said as they shook hands. "oof - and you did great too, Nincada!" He amended as the little Bug thwacked him in the back of the knee. He turned to the edge of the arena and knelt to pat his Axew as she waddled over. "Oh, and thanks for refereeing, Asta. Couldn't have done it without ya." He went to recall her as well, but she put her hands on her hips and glared at the Pokeball until he put it back on his belt. "Alright, alright. Dunno why you like hanging out down here with my bro's creepy Paras, but- "Dracen shrugged, "If it's your cup of tea... I'm gonna head up to the Forge and get started on dinner, so that should be ready when you want to come back up, alright?" He patted her once more as she gave him a thumbs-up, then he strolled over to join his brother at the top of the stairs. "Ya done recording the fight?" Cy nodded in reply, closing the book and replacing the quill in its inkpot.

Asta watched the two humans leave the Coliseum as she wandered over to her favorite cave pool and settled into it. Cold-blooded though she may be, she still found the chilly water refreshing. Despite Dracen's jokes, she'd never actually spoken to Paras, who made its home in the dark corners of the cave. She heard it scuttling behind the walls sometimes, chasing some unfortunate prey or carving out another tunnel, but it avoided her for the most part so she returned the favor and avoided it as well. Mostly she napped in her favorite pool, practiced battle tactics, or tried to climb up to the great central lantern. She glanced up at it now.

"One day... One day I'll reach you and figure out how you make blue fire." She promised it, shaking a fist at the iron lantern, which flickered smugly back at her. Growling, she stormed out of the pool, shook herself off, and entered her battle stance to start her training drills - but she stopped as she heard a soft squeak. Turning, she found that Mimsy, Dracen's Dreepy, had somehow gotten into the cave. She tilted her head at the Dreepy. Mimsy was an odd little thing - She would often follow Asta around, but rarely spoke to her, and occasionally even ran- er, floated away from her as though scared. She was rather adorable, though, so Asta didn't mind her antics. She was hovering near one corner of the cave, shaking a drop of water off her snout. Must've gotten splashed when I got out of the pool... explains the squeak I heard. Asta mused, then caught herself. Wait, how and why is she in my cave?! Resolving to get answers, Asta stomped over to the intruder and put her hands on her hips. "What are you doing here?" She said, not unkindly, but in such a way to command an answer.

"U-um... I was just... I-..." Mimsy stammered, her eyes darting sideways to the exit. Asta quickly realized this approach wasn't working - Mimsy wouldn't respond to pressure. She noticed that Mimsy still had water on her snout, so she reached out to clean it off in an attempt to try a less intimidating strategy. Mimsy's eyes went wide, and she suddenly shot up and over Asta's head, trying to escape. Asta spun quickly and caught the end of Mimsy's tail before she could get away, allowing herself a moment to be proud of her quick reaction and good coordination. She realized Mimsy had stopped moving.

"Hey! You can't run, you haven't answered my question!" Asta said. She walked over to stand face-to-face with the Dreepy again, who appeared to be completely frozen. She drifted slightly sideways in the air, seemingly unintentionally. Asta put out a hand, and Mimsy drifted into it like a leaf in a pool. She started with a small squeak, then spiraled down level with Asta again. Asta smiled at her as she took a deep breath.

"I- I'm sorry, I came here through one of P-Paras' tunnels to- Oh, but I c-can't do this, I- I really should just go..." Mimsy covered her face with her finlike arms and sank to the floor of the cave, shaking her head. "D-destiny be Arceus-c-cursed, I'm not b-brave enough..." Asta tilted her head at the little Dreepy, starting to worry. Something must really be wrong for her to be acting like this. Asta sat and gave Mimsy a concerned look. "Are... Are you alright? I didn't mean to scare you."

"Oh, I... yes, I'm alright. I just - I get o-overwhelmed easily, that's all... And you d-didn't scare me at all! I- you- no, don't worry about that..." Mimsy assured, waving one arm. Asta smiled and then noticed something she hadn't before: Mimsy was holding something, tucked under her other arm so it was barely visible. It sparkled in the blue light, so it must be some kind of metal, Asta guessed. She pointed at it with one claw. "Hey, what's that you've got?"

Mimsy paled and held it behind her back. "N-Nothing! I-I, uh, I should go..." She moved towards the exit again, but Asta stood and held out an arm. "Don't go! This is the most fun I've had in forever! I got to test my speed training, different questioning tactics... And talk to you! I never get to talk to you!" Mimsy half-smiled in return, finally wiping the water off her snout. "Y-you... like talking to me?"

"Of course! You're always so shy, it's nice to hear your voice!" Asta grinned. "And your voice is cute, so that's a plus too."

"I- O-oh, um, I... Arceus... Th-thank you... " Mimsy squeaked, covering her face again. There was a small clank, and Asta looked down to where it had come from. She saw a sparkling on the floor, and realized Mimsy must have dropped what she'd been holding. She bent to pick it up, and finally recognized it.

It was a gold necklace, with a large heart-shaped pendant. The Heart Necklace from that summer Fizzmas thing, Asta realized. But why... ? She looked up at Mimsy, who was staring at the necklace with terror. Mimsy looked up and met Asta's eyes, then turned bright red from horns to snout.

She's... blushing. Asta's brain kicked into overdrive, and she looked from Mimsy to the necklace, then back to Mimsy. Oh. She was unable to stop herself from turning red as well. Oh my Arceus I called her cute! Asta blushed harder. Mimsy surprised her then by laughing softly. "Hmhmhm... Y-yeah, welcome to my world..."

"I never realized you... I... " Asta cleared her throat. "Uhhh... " Why couldn't she think of anything to say? "Um. Your laugh is cute too." ARCEUS ABOVE WHY WAS THAT WHAT SHE CHOSE TO SAY?

Both of them stood there and blushed for a moment. Finally, Mimsy broke the silence. "I, um, came down here to give that to you," she motioned to the necklace, "and to tell you... well... I suppose you've figured that part out......" They stood quiet for another moment. Asta looked down at the necklace again, then raised it over her head and settled it around her neck. She half-smiled at Mimsy and held out a hand. Mimsy took a deep breath, took Asta's hand, and returned her smile.

As the new couple left the Coliseum, they were observed by a pale glow in the darkness. From a spyhole high on one wall, Paras watched with a cold, dead stare. It stood unnaturally still, blank eyes reflecting the distant blue fire of the lantern.

"Fools and weaklings. Shame. It almost enjoyed the company of the sharp one." It noted detachedly, then shot out a claw to impale a worm that it promptly ate. It turned its back on the light and love that filled the cave, returning to its tunnels. A chill breeze whistles through these tunnels, singing Asta and Mimsy's secret as it bursts to the surface and joins the desert winds...

Cy, Bug Trainer

FB Profile
Old 12-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
Thunder Badge

The Second Tale: Tale Of Evil

Desert sand whipped into a frenzy. A darkened horizon. the sparse clouds flung aside... and the desert winds harken to listen as a fellow flies past at blistering speed, spurred on by terror. As it goes, it sings a dark song, a song that turns the winds cold and the sky black. It sings of an ancient prophecy given truth and flesh, of the end times rising, of old evils reborn. It sings... of the PSE.

There was a small tapping on the stony floor of the laboratory, a signifier of tiny feet entering the room. Without looking up, Dracen tossed a greeting in the newcomer's direction, already knowing who it was.

"Hey, Wurmple. 'M workin' on somethin' real interestin'. This'll totally change things if it works!" Dracen promised, talking around the screws in his mouth.

You and I both know that's a big if, my friend. Wurmple replied as he strode across the cluttered room, communicating a bit louder to be heard over the laboratory's sounds. The constant clicking and whirring of broken machinery was nothing new here, but it was inconvenient for conversation.

"Oh, shush. I've got the wiring down this time, I swear." Dracen said, dismissively waving a handful of junk at Wurmple, who rolled his eyes. He scuttled up the side of Dracen's workbench, emitting a small squeak of effort as he pushed himself up onto the main table. Dracen gave him a sideways look.

"That was kinda adorable, y'know. Didn't know you made noise."

Yes, well, I don't often. I prefer to use my mental voice.

"Makes sense, you can say things other than 'Wurmple' with it. But-"

I don't just say 'Wurmple', you know. It's Bug Pokemon language, you just don't understand it. Wurmple replied hotly.

"Really? Neat!" Dracen said cheerfully, immune to the insults as always. "Anyway, why didn't you just float up like usual?"

My telekinesis is busy at the moment. I feared I'd overextend myself by manipulating too many objects. Wurmple explained, bobbing his head knowledgeably.

"Ooo, what'cha got?" Dracen asked. In response, the blueish glow of Wurmple's eyes flashed brighter, and a small stack of comics floated into Dracen's view, carried aloft by the same blue energy. Cy and I visited a rather quaint little shop that sold all sorts of trinkets. Cy said I'd enjoy these, though he sounded a bit amused by the prospect.

"Oh man, I love comics!" Dracen said, snatching one from the top of the stack. "Knowing my brother, it's just some sarcastic joke, but they're probably cool comics nonetheless. Shazam and Captain Marvel, huh? Cool superheroes, sure you'll like 'em." Dracen set the comic back on the floating pile, which settled itself in a corner of the workbench. His telekinesis open to him once more, Wurmple floated up to his silk hammock and curled into a comfortable position to read. He lifted the top comic to the edge of the hammock and opened it up, glowing eyes flicking to the top of the first page...

The last comic floated back down to the table, joining the rest of the haphazard pile. Wurmple stretched in his hammock, looking around. Dracen's experiment had blown up in his face (literally) hours ago, and he'd gone to bed just a bit after that. The lights of the laboratory had been flicked off, and Wurmple was alone in the pitch black.

Not for long, though. Soon, I will have an army of darkness!

Wurmple leaped out of his hammock, catching himself with psychic energy, and landed softly on the lab floor. Buzzing with excitement, he hurried off as fast as he could... which wasn't very fast, considering he had very tiny legs.

The Cavern of Battles echoed with footsteps, from the walls and entranceway alike. The door closed quietly, the blue energy fading from the handle. The tip-tap of tiny feet came down the stairs, which silenced the similar sound coming from the empty cave. The great lantern flickered, strange shadows dancing on the walls, and the icy pools rippled gently from some unseen movement. Slowly, a hiss built from seemingly everywhere at once, and a cold, hollow voice rang out from the walls themselves.

"Who enters its cave? It heard no humans, so intruder this one must be. Explain one's presence, or begone. Those are options. Should this one refuse... it will take this one as prey."

Hello, Paras. Came Wurmple's simple reply.

"Ssssss... The human's pet, mindlessly following orders. What does he want, it wonders?"

Of all the insults to use for me, I would not have chosen mindless. Wurmple chuckled. Paras, my bloodthirsty friend, I have come bearing a proposition for you. An offer.

"An offer?" Paras spat. "What could he offer it? He could not protect it. He is weak. It catches enough prey itself, nothing he could offer there..."

Wurmple shook his head. No, none of that. I offer an alliance, nothing more.

"Tch." Paras replied, the dreadful sound echoing throughout the cave. "What does it gain from such alliance? It is strong. It survives. That all it needs."

Wurmple raised an eyebrow, or would have if he had eyebrows. Strong? I believe that, it's why I came to you. But I would help you to become stronger. You will do far more than survive, Paras. You will rule.

"...Tch..." A quiet response, a prompt for Wurmple to continue.

This is your cave, yes? Your territory? Imagine, Paras. The whole world, your territory. Yours to hunt and rule as you wish. Imagine the power you would have.

"Sssss..." A flash from a dark corner of the cave. Dead eyes peering at Wurmple as Paras approached. "And he can promise to give it this power?"

I never said give. Wurmple corrected, a glint in his eyes. No, I propose we work together... and take that power.

At the bottom of the oasis pool, a god slumbered. The waving branches of the trees above reflected off his majestic carapace, casting shadows across the glorious orange.

"Hmmm..." He mused, the soft noise sending a stream of bubbles to the surface. "'Tis nothing, is it, when compared to the shadow in our soul?"
Saatus stretched his claws and legs, begrudgingly waking from his rest. He gazed up at the distant skies, distorted as they were by the rippling water. "Ahhh, the night. The time for ones like me to frolic, cloaked in darkness and crowned with silver moonlight." He raised a claw, adopting a poetic stance, as his neighbor sleepily opened one eye.

"Duuude, shut uuup.." Goomy said slowly, then gave a huge yawn. "'M tryin' to sleep, c'mon.."

"Ugh. Mortals." Saatus said haughtily, giving Goomy a withering look. Goomy ignored him, already asleep again. Disgusted, Saatus gave a mighty push, and rose to the surface of the pool in one giant leap. He broke the surface with one claw raised like a speartip aimed straight and true to plunge right through the moon that shone overhead, then the rest of him followed, a beautiful king rising from the water with the grace of a rapier and the fury of a greatsword-

Hello, Saatus.

Startled, the Krabby fumbled his landing, and wound up flat on his belly in front of Wurmple. Pushing himself to standing, he drew in a breath and prepared to give this lowly mortal a tongue-lashing for defiling the entrance of one such as he!

Save your words, Saatus. Wurmple said. I've read all your monologues through your thoughts anyhow.

Saatus's eyes bulged with rage, but he held his tongue, waiting for the foolish little worm to explain himself.

Besides, Wurmple said, his eyes twinkling (and not just because of the psychic energy), You harm me, and you'll have to deal with all of them.

Saatus narrowed his eyes at those words, then flicked his eyes away from Wurmple. With a start of realization, he suddenly saw the host of violent backup lined up behind Wurmple. Paras stood on Wurmple's left, twitching around and clicking its mandible. Honedge hovered on Wurmple's right, silent and still as ever. Directly behind Wurmple, Joltik floated on a crackling arc of electricity.

Dare you take that chance, Saatus? God though you may be, you inhabit a mortal body, do you not? Wurmple spoke evenly, but the threat was clear.
Besides, we're not here to fight.

"Then for what reason do you disturb my divine activities?" Saatus replied with a clack of his claws.

To recruit you. Wurmple said, eyes locked on Saatus's. Your strength is undeniable, your spirit for the cause even more so. Our team would be lucky to have you.

"Pah! That much is true." Saatus barked a laugh. "But what possible cause would you have that I'd be so apparently enthusiastic for?"

What else? Wurmple replied, cocking his head. World domination.

"You, out to rule the world?!" Saatus said incredulously. "Your comedic skill is unmatched, little worm. By what dark miracle is a goody-ten-shoes like you doing out here, assembling a villainous team?"

Let us simply say I was... inspired. Wurmple said cryptically. The cause is unimportant, Saatus. Will you join us or not?

Saatus assessed Wurmple thoughtfully. Very well, I will be a part of your little team. Bear in mind, however, that despite our allyship, you are still mortal beings far beneath one such as I! And that should our goals ever deviate, or you ever attempt to halt my path to glory, I will not hesitate to crush you all!

Wurmple gave the Krabby an amused look, but nodded nonetheless. Then take your place beside me, Tyrant. Our conquest begins now, under cover of darkness.

As his army lined up behind him, Wurmple looked out into the cold desert night with a determined shine in his eyes. I will do what you could not, my fictional friend, He promised. I will become greater than Mister Mind. I will be... Master-Mind! Yes... What a wonderful experiment this will be.

Their leader Wurmple, aka... Master-Mind!
The second-in-command Saatus, aka... Tyrant!
The mindless muscle Paras, aka... The Living Death!
The silent killer Honedge, aka... Double Edge!
The ferrous fiend Joltik, aka... The Magnetic Menace!
Together, they are.....

The Pokemon Society of Evil!

Cy, Bug Trainer

FB Profile

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Visionary Glade