Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Bite the hand that feeds you (News).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesOnline
The ailing crocodile had been off its food for a week before Kaohsiung zoo sent in its vet to take a look.

Chang Poiyu could hardly have guessed then that the 600lb (270kg) reptile would choose that very moment to get peckish. As he leant through the bars of the animal’s enclosure to remove a tranquilliser dart from its thick hide, the crocodile suddenly came to and turned on Mr Chang, biting off his left arm just below the elbow. Yesterday the unfortunate vet was recovering in hospital after a seven-hour operation to reattach the severed limb, which had been retrieved from the enclosure by colleagues. Doctors hailed the surgery as successful but said that it could take up to two weeks to tell whether all the arm’s functions would be restored.

It seemed like a shocking act of ingratitude on the part of the croc because the vet is famed for his devotion to his charges. Mr Chang once jumped into a lion’s cage to lead it to safety after the zoo was deluged by floodwaters.

Another time, Taiwanese television cameras caught him weeping at the unexpected death of a beloved elephant. On Wednesday the zoo had called him to the reptile enclosure after growing concern that the Nile crocodile, the male of a mating pair, had gone off its food.

Mr Chang fired a tranquilliser dart through the bars of the enclosure to examine the crocodile more closely but when he leant through to remove it from the scaly hide, the reptile opened its eyes suddenly and snapped.

Zoo workers watched in horror as the crocodile wrenched off Mr Chang’s forearm two inches below the elbow. “The crocodile was in a fast move, it bit off the arm and swung twice,” one witness said.

A colleague wrapped a tourniquet around the stump and whisked Mr Chang to hospital, thinking that his arm was lost. But at that moment the crocodile’s appetite seemed to wane again. He stood in the enclosure, holding the arm in his jaw, as TV crews and photographers descended on the zoo to record the grisly spectacle.

Another guard, Chang Fuyi, summoned an armed police officer who was on duty at the zoo. “A thought crossed my mind before I shot, ‘If I cannot kill the crocodile, at least I want to scare it to spit out the arm’,” he said. The officer fired two shots at the crocodile’s neck and it spat out the arm.

Another guard then managed to retrieve the arm, which was rushed in a refrigerator to the Chungho Memorial Hospital, arriving 80 minutes after the unconscious Mr Chang.

Yesterday, after eight hours of surgery, Mr Chang was filmed for television, smiling and waving from his hospital bed with his healthy arm.

Mr Chang’s assailant, meanwhile, escaped unhurt. “The crocodile was unharmed as we didn’t find any bullet holes on its hide,” Chen Potsun, a zoo official, said. “It probably was shocked and opened its mouth to let go of the limb.”

It has already become something of a celebrity at the zoo, with hundreds of visitors flocking to see it, even daring to cross a police line for a closer glimpse. The crocodile came to the zoo ten years ago, after it was bought from a local resident who had kept it as a pet — perhaps unwisely, given the Nile crocodile’s reputation as a man-eater.

Friends of Mr Chang said that he was almost certain to return to work at the zoo, but expressed concerns over whether he would still be able to pursue his second love — playing the piano.
Source

Thinking of science being able to re-attatch torn limbs is pretty impressive. Nice job, Sir Crocodile.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Bite the hand that feeds you (News).

Maybe this is me underestimating Chinese medicine ... and maybe this is me overestimating American medicine ... but I don't think this guy's chances are good for his arm being successfully 75% (or 90% or 100%) functional. Even if the arm doesn't die from lack of blood flow, I'm not sure how good the Chinese team will have been at getting the nerves lined up; and it's more than just lining them, as the nerves have to re-ennervate on their own and that can take years. Just ask any victim of spinal paralysis.

This is a pretty sad story, and it just reconfirms my belief that sometimes good people get burned when doing good things and it's just a shitty part of life. (A human example would be the scene in the movie Crash where the black kid is taking the statue of the patron saint for travelers out of his coat pocket.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Heard about this while sitting in the clinic for half of Spanish Class gushing blood out my nose.

This is a strange happening. In general. Poor guy though. It would suck to get your arm bitten off by an animal you thought you trusted.

How do they go about reattaching totally severed limbs?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Heard about this on another forum.

Dear god really.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

I find it eerie that in the croc's mouth, the guy's hand looks fake. It's like my brain refuses to register it being real.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc