UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #126
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
The resemblance is uncanny.

That's the Raffles Hotel in Singapore. Just thought I'd share...

Reaching a bit more here... but...

I propose we may actually be headed to Singapore next, ladies and gentlemen.
Super fucking disappointing. D:

Like ... you've just taken my excitement down from a 9 or a 10 to an 8.

I really don't want Singapore to be Kalos's wartime rival. I want the Pokémon world to, at least geographically and culturally, match our world. I loved that about the games. I dislike the other staff members' attempts to obscure the parallels. I'll be really disappointed if they end up locking in that countries half the world apart were at war 3,000 years ago. Only way it works is if you assume AZ's France, given the death ray tower, was Atlantean in terms of tech prowess. Maybe that's okay but ...

So say Singapore isn't about to be made Kalos's rival. Say Sun and Moon have absolutely nothing to do with France or Kalos at all. Gen 7 may as well be Gen 4 as far as relation to Gen 6 goes. Okay. Fine. But then I'm sad that Gen 7 won't be exploring Kalos's lore further. I really love Kalos. I really hate to be left hanging like this for 3+ more years.

It's possible that Sun and Moon have to do with Great Britain and that the reason the hotel resembles one in Singapore is because Singapore was under British occupation, but ...

There's another reason you're probably correct about it being Simgapore. A meta reason that's hinted at by the Nintendo Direct. And that's ... the fact that one of the very first things being advertised about these new games is their support for Simplified and Traditional Chinese. That speaks hugely to Nintendo trying to court all of the Taiwanese and other Chinese-speaking players I've seen online. So why Singapore instead of Taiwan? I dunno. Could be a lot of things. But regardless, most people in Singapore are ethnically Chinese and some may even speak it.

Also there's this:

Quote:
Since independence, extensive land reclamation has increased its total size by 23% (130 km2), and its greening policy has covered the densely populated island with tropical flora, parks and gardens.
That fits with your flower hint.

Also, Singapore is tropical, and the backpacker in XY -- while looking distinctly Latin American >_> -- looks like he's from a tropical nation.

Also, Singapore would be a likelier fit with the tiki idol than any European or North African country.

... Okay, after reading about Singapore, I'm warming up to the idea a little more. :') *sniffle* But I'm still heartbroken. Would've really loved this to be Kalos's GSC.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #127
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

I actually saw something somewhere about it being set in the Mediterranean area due to the prominence of Horsea and a seahorse being on the Mediterranean flag, and then someone else said something about Spain, and Carthage was near Spain, so like, Pokemon Punic Wars confirmed?

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #128
Talon87
時の彼方へ

We already discussed Carthage in this very thread not but 15 hours ago. Here.

I really hope Deo is wrong. >.< I really love the Algeria theory, and of course I've no objections to Britain, England, Germany, Italy, or Spain either.

But none of those fits the tiki idol. None of those really fits flowers. (Holland would, with tulips, but Holland isn't remotely tropical or subtropical ...) None of those tie in with the introduction of Chinese language support.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #129
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
>Sun/Moon being in a tropical area

You thought Hoenn had too much water, but little did you know....

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:42 AM   #130
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMrGame10 View Post
I actually saw something somewhere about it being set in the Mediterranean area due to the prominence of Horsea and a seahorse being on the Mediterranean flag, and then someone else said something about Spain, and Carthage was near Spain, so like, Pokemon Punic Wars confirmed?
Hate to be the party pooper here but...

Unfortunately that post, like a lot of tumblr posts, is complete BS. The person who came up with that theory and claimed flag is similar to the Mediterranean flag failed to fact check their sources before posting their theory to tumblr, because if they had, they'd have seen that the "Mediterranean flag" was more or less real world fan art created by a blogger who submitted it to a European council to be recognized as official, but was rejected.

But that's tumblr for you, posting things and having reblogs spread like wildfire without fact checking their sources first.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #131
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No matter what the new region ends up being, there's about to be a lot of broken hearts. ^^; I was looking for fanart and fan reactions on Reddit and Tumblr last night (will hit Pixiv up later today), and I saw all manner of countries nominated for the new region, each with tens if not hundreds of supporters that I saw:
  • Spain
    • people pointing to Kalos lore
    • people feeling like Spain is the most eligible candidate given the Mediterranean stuff
    • people pointing out Masuda went on vacation to Spain, and the last two times he's gone on vacation we've gotten Unova (vacation to NYC) and Kalos (vacation to France)
  • England or Germany
  • Italy
    • people pointing to Kalos lore (I don't feel like this one works nearly so well though ... unless you want to make AZ into Vercingetorix? Guess that could work ...)
    • people feeling like Italy's a great fit for the Mediterranean stuff
    • people pointing to "Sun" and "Moon" tying in with GrecoRoman religion
  • Hawaii
    • people pointing to the tropical clues (Tiki idol, palm trees, etc.)
    • people pointing out that Hawaii's a super popular vacation spot for Japanese folks
    • people pointing out that Unova only represented NYC, not all of America, and perhaps America is going to receive multiple regions the same way Japan did
  • Singapore
    • people pointing to the tropical clues
    • people pointing to the hotel
    • people pointing to the Chinese language support
    • people (okay, only Deo and one other dude) pointing to the flower clue from Worlds 2015
  • SouthEast Asia
    • same idea as with Singapore, but larger in scope: these people believe the new region will be based on Malaysia, Singapore, and a few other neighboring countries. Some include northwest Indonesia, some include all of Indonesia, and some don't mention Indonesia at all. But the thing uniting this group is all of the clues I listed for Singapore but then they go on step further and say Singapore is too small to be an entire region but is a good fit for a large metropolitan city in the new region.
  • Mexico
    • people pointing to the Sun and Moon's roles in Aztec and Mayan culture, respectively
    • people pointing to the backpacker's Latin appearance
Each of these countries I listed, I've seen no fewer than ten people going "YEAH! " and expressing how much they are totally on board for it and how much they believe it's going to happen. Some of them have had many tens, even hundreds of people I saw responding on Reddit and Tumblr. So yeah ... lots and lots of broken hearts on the way, no matter which country Gen 7's region ends up being based on. ^^;

So far phoopes is the only person I've seen (re-)discussing the Algeria theory, but I super, super love it and I want him to be right so bad hrnnnngh. He's not going to be right, is he ... :')
Old 02-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #132
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'll just leave this here

(Just when you thought it couldn't get more insane than Mega Evolutions...)
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #133
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:

Please no.

I'm still not happy about Mega Evolutions, though I've long since come to accept them. But I really don't like the anime's side-stepping of giving Ash a mega by instead giving him a freaky Pokémon fusion. Not to mention, Ash doesn't have a Burst Stone. The implication is that Greninja becomes Ash-Greninja through the same spiritual power which powers Mega Evolution -- and that Ash's and Greninja's bond is so on point that it transcends the need for a stone.

If Mega Evolution was the moment Pokémon jumped the shark, Pokémon-human fusions would be even moreso.

Not to mention -- it would be a laughable next entry in the list of Game Freak copying off of Digimon that we've been making fun of since Gen 3.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #134
precita
Boulder Badge

I've already seen some people on the internet speculate Misty is making a cameo in the games because of that Horsea fountain in front of that hotel.
precita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #135
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
One thing that I thought of is the predominance of various vehicles shown in that one section. Cars and trucks were never very prevalent in Pokemon, they were always scenery or background. Them being shown may indicate a couple of things in my opinion:

1: This region is huge, large enough to warrant travelling by car to fast-travel to places without flying. Maybe you don't get Fly until late game or something. Either way, I'm sure they will be used as transport one way or another.

2: The route are rather open to allow these vehicles to travel, but would potentially allow for exploration off the beaten path. One thing I liked about Unova was that you could simply bike from Striaton to Opelucid without going through much grass, or any dungeons or mazes. Sinnoh's routes on the other hand usually had some obstructions in the way of easy travel.

3: The protagonist may be old enough to drive these themselves. Would be nice to see a trainer whose over 16 and has skills outside of pokemon training and fashion.

4: I'm expecting a boost in animation simply to allow these vehicles to move. Even in X and Y when you took the taxi in Lumiose it would fade to blank and you'd be at your destination. It would be good to take in the sights while you're travelling. Maybe that's how they'll show off this game graphics?

Maybe what I'm getting at is maybe vehicles are to Sun and Moon what fashion was to X and Y or bridges were to Black and White. *shrug* My two cents.
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #136
Snorby
Snackin'

>Talon's list of settings

While I like a lot of these, some part of the Middle East might potentially be worth considering too. It probably sounds strange, but hear me out on this: I propose that the war 3000 years ago was the Third Crusade (or King's Crusade) which involved King Philip of France, Richard the Lionheart of England, and Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa (The HRE, for those who don't know, is sorta kinda like a way back when Germany, to put a very long story short.) Furthermore, the hotel looks, while not as good a fit as the building in Singapore, a bit like Byzantine Architecture. Which also works well with both GrecoRoman religion (The building I linked is a Greek Orthodox Basilica) and the Mediterranean stuff, or perhaps it could be Ancient Persian Architecture, which also looks somewhat similar and fits slightly better in with the whole King's Crusade thing. (The Persian Emperor Saladin was the main opponent, but he was assisted by the Emperor of Byzantium who's name escapes me at the moment). Persia also works with the Mediterranean iirc- haven't looked at a map of Ancient Persia in awhile XD

It's by no means perfect, but the idea popped into my head and I thought it interesting enough to share.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:35 AM   #137
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
Quote:

That's quite a keen observation!

If this wasn't canon, it would have been quite awesome! Something that would take place in a Pokémon Conquest like world where there already are warriors who can link to Pokémon and if the link is strong enough, it could be extended to include the ability to fuse.

However it just seems too farfetched to include it in the canon, though it would be interesting to see how they do it while also maintaining a decent level of balance in the game.

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #138
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Alright! So ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
No matter what the new region ends up being, there's about to be a lot of broken hearts. ^^; I was looking for fanart and fan reactions on Reddit and Tumblr last night (will hit Pixiv up later today), and I saw all manner of countries nominated for the new region, each with tens if not hundreds of supporters that I saw:
  • Spain
    • people feeling like Spain is the most eligible candidate given the Mediterranean stuff
    • people pointing out Masuda went on vacation to Spain, and the last two times he's gone on vacation we've gotten Unova (vacation to NYC) and Kalos (vacation to France)
  • England or Germany
  • Italy
    • people pointing to Kalos lore (I don't feel like this one works nearly so well though ... unless you want to make AZ into Vercingetorix? Guess that could work ...)
    • people feeling like Italy's a great fit for the Mediterranean stuff
    • people pointing to "Sun" and "Moon" tying in with GrecoRoman religion
  • Hawaii
    • people pointing to the tropical clues (Tiki idol, palm trees, etc.)
    • people pointing out that Hawaii's a super popular vacation spot for Japanese folks
    • people pointing out that Unova only represented NYC, not all of America, and perhaps America is going to receive multiple regions the same way Japan did
  • Singapore
    • people pointing to the hotel
    • people pointing to the Chinese language support
    • people (okay, only Deo and one other dude) pointing to the flower clue from Worlds 2015
  • SouthEast Asia
    • same idea as with Singapore, but larger in scope: these people believe the new region will be based on Malaysia, Singapore, and a few other neighboring countries. Some include northwest Indonesia, some include all of Indonesia, and some don't mention Indonesia at all. But the thing uniting this group is all of the clues I listed for Singapore but then they go on step further and say Singapore is too small to be an entire region but is a good fit for a large metropolitan city in the new region.
  • Mexico
    • people pointing to the Sun and Moon's roles in Aztec and Mayan culture, respectively
    • people pointing to the backpacker's Latin appearance
Each of these countries I listed, I've seen no fewer than ten people going "YEAH! " and expressing how much they are totally on board for it and how much they believe it's going to happen. Some of them have had many tens, even hundreds of people I saw responding on Reddit and Tumblr. So yeah ... lots and lots of broken hearts on the way, no matter which country Gen 7's region ends up being based on. ^^;

So far phoopes is the only person I've seen (re-)discussing the Algeria theory, but I super, super love it and I want him to be right so bad hrnnnngh. He's not going to be right, is he ... :')
... we're less than nine hours away from what will likely be the analog to 2013's first full trailer for Pokémon XY. From that trailer, we learned three things about Kalos:
  • that it was based on France (confirmed later, but pretty obvious from the architecture, dress, and Pikachu greeting us from the Eiffel Tower)
  • its two box cover legendaries, Xerneas and Yveltal
  • its three starters, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie
I'm willing to bet that the May 10 news is going to be a trailer much like XY's January 2013 one, and that at the very least we are going to learn who the two new box cover legendaries are. We might learn the new region's name and real-world country it's based upon, we might not. Either could happen. But in case we're going to learn it, that means ...

It's time to place your final bets!

Which country do you think we're going to? Choose only one. This is for all the marbles! ;P

As much as I would prefer Germany, the UK, Italy, or Spain -- and don't even get me started on Algeria *hrnnnngh* -- I'm going to have to go with Deo's months-old observation about Singapore. Given the "flower" clue, given the hotel, given the sudden Chinese language support, and given the XY backpacker's Tiki idol, I'm going to have to guess Singapore. Tryin' to be optimistic about it but it's hard 'cause it's thousands of miles away from Kalos and makes it seem really unlikely we'll be revisiting Kalos in the post-game and ... *sigh* :') BUT WE'LL SEE! We'll see.

Alright. My final guess is locked in. Now it's your turn!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #139
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I've heard a lot of theories, though one idea in particular that makes sense, to me at least. I recall someone whose theory was the region would be based on Hawaii point out something about the Anistar sundial that's always confused me- the background behind the sundial. Considering the position, shouldn't it show us a snowy background from the previous route, maybe with a Mamoswine silhouette or something? It should... and yet it shows us wide open ocean dotted with a series of islands. Where exactly are you supposed to be able to see that near Anistar? The idea was, the view behind the sundial is actually some sort of portal to the Sun/Moon region, and that it would contain the heavily-speculated moondial, and something about the sundial and moondial, and/or Hoopa (gotta try and dig up the video where I heard this again- this was a while back, I really only remember the basics), created some sort of portal between Kalos and the new region, which could end up being how Kalos would be accessible in the postgame if the region is indeed based off of Hawaii. I mean, it makes sense to me- they're not usually that sloppy with details like that, at least in newer games, so why show us open ocean and an archipelago where we should logically see a snowy route off in the distance, unless there was a reason for it?

But anyway, back to my point- between the above paragraph and the other evidence that's pointed there thus far, locking in Hawaii as my guess, though I won't be bitter if proven wrong.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #140
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
I have a gut feeling it'll be be a region of the world influenced by the Spanish or Portuguese in some way. I heavily want to say Yucatan Peninsula (as I get an incredibly strong Aztec vibe from the Strange Souvenir, and this might be the region it's from), but it could very well be like, Indonesia for all I know. I just can't wait to see what is is at this point, along with everything else!~

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #141
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I'm just going to guess Germany due to the lore surrounding the war between Kalos and a country yet to be named.

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:39 AM   #142
Rakurai
Boulder Badge

I'm leaning towards Hawaii between the tropical appearance and the concept art that had vehicles with some traits typical of those in Hawaii (Yellow firetrucks and rainbows on the license plates).

There's also the whole matter of the Strange Souvenir, which bears a strong resemblance to a Hawaiian tiki.

Last edited by Rakurai; 05-10-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Rakurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #143
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Hey FYI we are now on spoiler quarantine so please confine spoilers to the news thread. We'll make an announcement soon but for now please contain discussion to that thread.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON