UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Anime Status, not Accomplishments

This announcement concerns the patrons of the Anime forum only. It will self-destruct in 3 days, so please do not be concerned that it is cluttering the top of your screen.

We used to have a thread where members were encouraged to post a comprehensive list of all the animes, J-dramas, and anime feature films they'd seen. Apparently that thread was created before Spring 2007 and as such it's now missing.

The purpose behind the Anime Status thread was never "hey guys, brag about how many shows you've seen." The point was to let people know what you're watching now.

I'm not angry at anybody and nobody's in trouble or anything; it's just that I've noticed this happened:

1- the first members to reply followed the rules, putting a heavy focus on what they were watching now and then spicing up their post with extra features
2- then somebody who also followed the rules decided he wanted to color his post up with his list of accomplishments. And that was fine! Except ...
3- then the replies that came after him seemed to copycat him
4- and the newest reply is nothing but accomplishments with zero info on actual status

I'll go ahead and create the "Anime You've Seen" thread right now. I encourage members to post their most up-to-date lists there.

You are 100% free to double-post it that list in your Status thread post, too; as I said from the beginning, your Status post is yours! Go wild! I just get ticked off to see that people are mistaking "Status" for "I'll list what I've seen" and not mentioning their status at all. To use a Fizzy Bubbles comparison, that would be like having a Member Post that doesn't list your Pokémon but lists out all your adventures.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

A, I updated my post.
B, we've gotten some new members and they're posting their lists of anime they've seen in the Anime Status Updates thread. >_<;

Time for a bump, for both selfish and slightly less selfish reasons.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

lol, was that me?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It was never any one person. The telephone game effect seemed to take place: the first few posts were Status Only, then somebody did Status + Accomplishments, then a few others did that, and then somebody else copying off of them managed to just do Accomplishments only. That was when I realized, "Wuh-oh, they've lost sight of the original purpose of this thread."
Old 12-13-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Loki

Well, I never really thought of them as accomplishments. I always thought of it as a way to keep track of what I own, what I have seen, and through that, know what I haven't seen. I know I've had lots of conversations where someone says something along the lines of, "Have you seen [this show] or [that show]?" and I usually can't answer them unless the show was a favorite of mine. Have I seen it? Possibly. Did I remember it? Possibly not.

And when I listed manga, it was purely to help me keep track of what volumes I own so when I go shopping, I knew to not buy the same volume. It is not uncommon for me to buy the same issue multiple times, especially at conventions. Which brings up: Does anyone want a copy of Hellsing Volume 9 or some volume of Battle Royale?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I thinky sticky-ing the accomplishment one would help, and maybe changing the title of one of the topics to clearly draw the line between what is what.

I think the status topic became a de facto "anime you've seen" topic because it was the only one with easy access from the main page, whereas Talon's original topic is floating somewhere around page 3 or 4. I have it in my subscriptions, but it's tougher to get to.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Does it really matter? Not like we're getting a ton of activity that this needs to be stopped. >.>;

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Does it really matter? Not like we're getting a ton of activity that this needs to be stopped. >.>;
Not really: which is why I never made the accomplishments thread a sticky while I had the power to do so nor have asked you to make it a sticky since giving up that power. It annoys me that I make a thread with a declared goal in mind and people ignore that goal, but that reflects badly on them, not the rest of us, and so it's more their problem than mine.

I made this thread years ago because I saw people making posts which just contained lists of the anime they'd seen and I wanted to put a stop to that. That doesn't belong in the status thread. Status equals "what are you doing now or in the near future." Status does not equal "post a tremendously long list of all the shows you've ever seen." If you want to post your list of accomplishments in addition to your status, be my guest.

One of my stated goals with the Status thread was and remains:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
By grouping all of our statuses together into one thread, where each of us is only allowed one post, it makes it very easy for outsiders to find out information about us. What animes are we watching right now? What animes are our favorites of all time? What anime-related franchises (manga, J-drama, visual novels) are we following? etc. By making it easy for outsiders to learn all about each of us, it makes it easy for them to join in our conversations, make friends with us, etc.
A list of the shows you've seen or books you've read can certainly help in this goal, and if that's how you want to go about addressing this goal, then do it. For me personally, I find that it helps more to list just a few shows (10 or less) that I think are gold medalists, and maybe also a few shows that are silver medalists, than it helps to list the ~150 different series I've seen. But I'm not everybody, and I realize that, and I made it pretty clear in the rules of the Status thread that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
Procedure: None. Have at it, guys. This is your status post, make the most of it. Well, okay, I lied a little. There are three thread-specific rules I would like to ask all members to follow! The first rule is a limit of one post per member in this thread. The second rule is no sigs in your status post. The point of the status post is to be linked to in your sig, so we don't need to clutter the thread up with sigs. The third rule is no attachments. Like sigs, they tend to clutter things up unnecessarily. Got it?
In other words, I made it pretty clear that so long as you're posting your status and you're not breaking these three rules, then you're doing it right.

It was only because people were still getting it wrong that I had to post this thread two years ago, as well as resurrect the Anime Accomplishments thread since the old (pre-2007) one was gone.

Anyway, if Doppel thinks that the Accomplishments thread needs to be stickied so that people see it, that's one possibility. (I don't like stickies cluttering up the tops of pages and like to keep stickies to a bare minimum, but I'm just one vote!) And if he recommends changing the name of one, the other, or both threads, I'm amenable to that too. Perhaps there's confusion because of what we each perceive the words "status" and "accomplishment" to mean. The latter is a loaded term and the former is an ambiguous one that could just as easily be interpreted to mean your overall status (i.e. your list o' accomplishments) as it could mean your current status.

Suggestions? I have some ...
  • change the name of the status thread from "Anime Member Statuses" to ...
    • "What Are You Watching?" <-- concise, clear
    • "What're You Watching?" <-- perhaps even more clear, loses the first one's possibility to be misinterpreted as a mean "What are you looking at? " question
    • "What Are You Watching Right Now?"
    • "What's UPN Watching?"
    • "What's UPN Watching Right Now?"
    • "What're You Up To?"
    • "Whatcha Up To?"
    • "Whatcha Doing?"
  • change the name of the seen-anime thread from "Anime You've Seen" to ...
    • no change needed

Last edited by Talon87; 12-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

So I'll make accomplishments stickied then. We can use more posting around here so it'll all work out.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Loki

Anime I Have Seen: A bunch.
Manga I Have Read: A lot.
Things I Have Accomplished in Seeing/Reading Them: Nothing.

lol.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Lol indeed.

But, uh ... you do realize this is still not the right thread for that, right? ^^; Here's the thread where people list all the stuff they've seen.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Loki

No it was purely a joke. I'm not gonna bother to copypasta my stuff cuz I'm not watching any anime anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime