UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Speed Runs

If you have any speed run videos you'd like to share, post 'em here!

If a video is a TAS, I'll be sure to label it. Since I've been asked before what "TAS" means, I'll tell you! "TAS" means that it's a tool-assisted speedrun, which means that the player may have abused save states, slowed down the game to 1/16th normal speed, and so on in order to achieve optimal results. Not all speed runs are TASes! In fact, many of the ones I'll link below were played live in front of a camera during charity marathons.

Note: The following list is just stuff I've watched recently provided for your perusal in alphabetical order. If you want to know my personal top two picks, they're probably Go1den's Super Mario World run done at SGDQ and the Ninja Gaiden 1 race between Sinister1 and DuckFist.

Mario Tennis (N64):
0:16:15 by Go1den

Mega Man 10 (WiiWare):
0:35:48 by DuckFist

Mega Man X (SNES):
0:36:51 by Caleb Hart (errors but very fun to watch)
0:36:09 by Caleb Hart (a world record; sound quality's not the greatest though and the commentary's not as good either imo; would encourage the above video)

Ninja Gaiden (NES):
0:17:51 pacifist run by Sinister1 (first half of video)
Race to the finish between Sinister1 (left) and DuckFist (right) (winning time is 0:13:02)

Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES):
Race to the finish between DuckFist (left) and Sinister1 (right) (second half of video) (winning time is 0:10:58)

Pokémon Yellow (GB):
2:25:25 by SMK (lots of errors but lots of laughs)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis):
0:22:47 by Naegleria (lots of errors; I quit watching this one halfway through when he flat-out cheated by skipping a failed 5-1 directly for 5-2)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES):
0:08:32 by Chris K. "CAK" (a world record; makes use of glitches)

Super Mario World (SNES):
0:10:37 by dram55
1:45:51 "Lunar Dragon" run by Go1den for SGDC (96 exit and five dragon coins per stage in all eligible stages and all 3-Ups)
1:38:49 "Lunar Dragon" run by Go1den for reals

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade):
0:12:14.85 by DarkKobold (TAS)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES):
approx. 25 minutes by xISOmaniac

Last edited by Talon87; 10-16-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time:
22:38 by Cosmo

I think this is a fairly famous one, but I like it a lot because he explains the history of speedrunning the game while doing it.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

speedrunslive.com

>T-Dos

Cosmo has done it even faster on the iQue, which is the Chinese N64-thing. It's under 20 min now.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 10-15-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Was just about to post speedrunslive actually Jeri =3

I've been really into watching them lately.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So I may have migrated to checking out SDA's proper archive. ¬_¬; But crosslinking from YouTube since I vastly prefer it to their on-site Flash player ...

Battletoads:
0:16:31 by Stephen "Icthus" Smith (insane)

Portal (PC):
0:09:12 by Sourceruns Team (runners included z1mb0bw4y, Inexistence, Gocnak, and a special guest) (made prolific use of glitches )

Thinking about re-watching the blindfolded Punch Out run of sinister1's. That was just incredible.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Tehurn?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Polygon published an article today about Cosmo Wright and the speed running community in the modern era. Parts of it feel a bit ignorant -- for example, I grimaced when they attributed sequence breaking to a discovery made with Metroid Prime in 2003/2004 even though sequence breaking, by other names, is something which players have been doing with glitchy games since the dawn of video games -- but for the most part it's a solid article for those familiar and unfamiliar alike with speed running. I'd consider myself closer to the latter than to the former, but I think there's enough here for even the most veteran speed run enthusiasts to find enjoyable over a sandwich or while taking a break at work.

In other news, SDA released a video last week advertising Awesome Games Done Quick 2014, or AGDQ 2014 for short, is coming soon. So that'll be cool. Hoping to see Go1den and Bonesaw again as I quite liked both of these players' attitudes and performances. I also liked Toufool's run of Super Mario Sunshine (though I found his Diddy Kong Racing one a bit lacking ), so I'll be looking out for him too. And of course I'll be excited to see if Sinister1 and DuckFist show up as both young men did phenomenal jobs with Ninja Gaiden and Sinister's blindfolded challenge of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was simply incredible. Hopefully the more controversial members of the peanut gallery have been politely asked to restrain themselves this go-around: there were quite a few runs that I know I felt were ruined to the point of unwatchability by some of the more obnoxious members of the audience, so here's hoping that they don't ruin any runs this year.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
It has already started, Talon. It's going on right now and tomorrow is the last day.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
It has already started, Talon. It's going on right now and tomorrow is the last day.
Oh wow, I had no idea! Figured it'd be March or April!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think I'll wait for the videos to show up on YouTube (as I'm sure they will!), but I decided to tune in to the live stream on a whim just now. A, they're apparently playing Metroid Prime this year. Gotta watch this one in full later on! B, they got one of the Retro devs to hang out via conference call. I haven't heard him say much, but according to the Twitter feed apparently he weighed in a whole bunch earlier in the run. Crazy cool!

Spoiler: show
Actually, on second thought, I might *not* watch the speed run of MP1 just yet ... and that's because I've been thinking about re-playing the game from scratch myself. :o Been thinking it off and on over the past few years, and seeing this guy speed run portions of it is making me want to do it that much more rather than watch someone else do it and spoil a lot of the fun of (re)discovery. But anyway ...

It looks like they rented out a small conference-style theater that is easily twice the size of the room they rented last year. Attendance seems to be 1.5x to 2x what it was last year (hard to gauge since the room is just so big and the camera is also cattycornered this year rather than being right next to the television facing straight back).

Apparently they've already raised $600,000 for charity. Go team! Dunno if they'll be able to hit $1,000,000 before tomorrow but it'd be nice if they did.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #11
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

They've already beaten their goal of $500,000, which is excellent, and I'm expecting a massive surge in donations when Cosmo does his Wind Waker HD run on Sunday.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #12
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Jeri, did you just donate to Paper Mario?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I haven't been watching AGDQ, though I do love Paper Mario/pie/other runners.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 01-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Ah okay, somebody named "Jerichi" donated, so I thought it was you =o
Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Ah okay, somebody named "Jerichi" donated, so I thought it was you =o
Plot twist: the donor's name was Jirachi but the reader was a UPNer and he misread the name as Jerichi.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Hahahahaha that would actually be really cool, but the announcer was Spikevegeta, and I think he'd let us know if he was a UPNer.

Also, Cosmo is up next!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #17
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I really like Cosmo because he tells you about everything he does and why he does it as he does it.

But I'll watch it when it gets to Youtube.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 01-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I agree. This marathon has actually been really good for that in general, too - most speedrunners some to have taken that positive aspect to heart, for the purposes of AGDQ at least.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Spoilers for Cosmo's run of Wind Waker:

Circa the boss fight with Ganon's bird.

Aww, poor Cosmo! ^^; He seemed so deflated when he messed up the execution of that one boss-skipping glitch. I'm not sure if the current run was going to be World Record territory anyway: he'd made enough smaller errors earlier on that I figured it probably wouldn't be, but he seemed so crushed by missing the successful execution of that one tactic on the first try that I can't help but wonder.

I've only watched random bits here or there, but the two big chunks I've seen were the first thirty-odd minutes and then the most recent thirty or so minutes.

Segment 1 that I saw: start of the game thru to arrival at Dragon Roost Island. Had to shut down the computer and felt like taking a break anyway.

Segment 2 that I saw: turned it on while I ate my dinner and happened to catch 90% of his run of the temple with the moving statues and watched from there to ... well, to the present location, which is Tetra discovering that she's Princess Zelda the reincarnation of Princess Zelda the great-granddaughter of Princess Zelda god this part of the story sends such mixed messages! Anyway ... he just warped to the fairy island.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #20
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I was just excited to see a new glitch be performed at AGDQ, and he was so close. Cosmo's also really great because he doesn't have a really bad temper like some other speedrunners - he's always fun to watch.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Glad to see Cosmo agrees that Wind Waker Ganon is one of the best Ganons. He's so darn sympathizable.

This is probably a good time to re-link an oldie but a goodie: Peachy's The King of Hyrule is a Jerk comics. (Warning! Contains massive spoilers for various portions of Wind Waker including the ending.)

Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #22
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

That comic is awesome, Talon.

This Chrono Trigger run is making me really want to replay Chrono Trigger.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 AM   #23
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Holy shit they actually raised 1 million dollars.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hey, Blaze: they're toying around in Fire Emblem (GBA) right now. It's the afterparty, so they're not doing any serious speed runs or anything. More like casual exploration of glitches and various odd things you can pull off in certain games. Figured you might want to check this one out since it's the game you were just playing the other night. Link.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
phoopes
Double Dragon

AGDQ 2014: Werster's run of SoulSilver

Probably one of my favorite speed runs I've ever seen. All the shenanigans that happen on this run are hilarious, and he's neck and neck with the world record up until the very end. I'll leave it up to you to see if he gets it or not. Before you watch though, Werster addresses the nicknaming thing right after the run is over, because you'll probably question it while watching.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games