UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 10-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #201
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I don't agree at all. This promo campaign is the biggest blunder since the Endless Eight arc of Haruhi.

The lack of promotion and clarification has allowed negativity to balloon whether it's justified or not. GameFreak is already slow moving and austere, so a controversy that demands immediate explanation like dexit isn't something they're equipped to handle.

For example, when details emerged that the new Pokemon anime wasn't going to be primarily set in Galar, OLM immediately addressed the issue by clarifying it would feature Galar. GameFreak wouldn't address the issue at all, or issue a press statement after two weeks of uncontested controversy.

We see this kind of thing in sports where perception narratives emerge that effective media teams can diffuse before they get worse. Negative press is a real problem and the inability to address it early is making every late reveal just add fuel to an already raging fire.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:45 AM   #202
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

I mean negative mindset seems to be the main issue here, not negative press. Press wise this is the most creative we have seen in a very long time and I, along with countless others, enjoy it. A lot of people seem to have made a decision about the game months ago and aren’t even waiting until it’s release to drive it into the ground. The game doesn’t appeal to you as much as when you were a kid? Maybe it’s because you’re too focused on getting what you think we should be getting, instead of being excited about the new and unknown. I don’t know whether I like gen 8 or dislike gen 8 yet, no one can know that yet. How about giving the game a chance before you make it out to be terrible?

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #203
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

People decided to hate on the game months ago, because what official news did we have to discuss? The removal of features like Megas, Z-Moves and the national dex, along with pushing the new watered-down Dynamax mechanic. Of course people were not going to be happy about that.

You don't try to sell a car by advertising its lack of wheels as a feature. "Without wheels, no popped tires!" and all that rot.

If anything, the Affleck leak saved GameFreak from total evisceration, since it gave people positive things to talk about (what the leaker liked) once details of it were confirmed. The only explicitly negative thing in the leak was the lack of walking Pokemon, which isn't something I read a lot of people complain about.

We live in an era where perception shapes reality. The goal of a promotional campaign should be to shape perception, and the complete inability of TPC to control the narrative toward Sword and Shield is nothing short of a catastrophe.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #204
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Honestly there's been some shit about it. Nobody denies that. The cut features aee features that have accrued nothing but hatred and rage, ans yet now people are bitching that they're gone. Megas are back by a different name, and this time there's a mechanic designed to make it so that everything can sort of hold its own in that environment. The dexit shit is bad, but honestly it's not the end of the world. People need to get a fucking grip.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #205
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Man I wish I could be as optimistic about life and stuff as TKF is about Sw/Sh. If we're talking strictly the hype season for Sw/Sh it's pretty damn weak this time around, as someone who's been here since the beginning. Ignoring my views and even the controversies... there's nothing. In the past I've always furiously avoided spoilers, this time I'm not due to all the drama and even with me trying to find more info to see if I should buy the game, and we really don't know anything about the game. And the game comes out next month.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #206
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
Man I wish I could be as optimistic about life and stuff as TKF is about Sw/Sh. If we're talking strictly the hype season for Sw/Sh it's pretty damn weak this time around, as someone who's been here since the beginning. Ignoring my views and even the controversies... there's nothing. In the past I've always furiously avoided spoilers, this time I'm not due to all the drama and even with me trying to find more info to see if I should buy the game, and we really don't know anything about the game. And the game comes out next month.
I mean, is not knowing much about the game a problem? Like, with the Sun/Moon cycle, they revealed virtually every new Pokemon before the game even released, leaving very little to be discovered if you were paying attention to the news. Now, backing away from too frequent/bulky announcements to this extent might not be the answer either, but like...it's still Pokemon. You should know exactly what to expect when you're purchasing it for the most part, and you'll have all the information you need by a day or two after release at the latest as people like Serebii power through the game. So unless you're a religious pre-orderer, I'm unsure why not knowing more about the game at this stage is an issue? Hell, even in the Sun/Moon cycle, we didn't get the first set of starter evolutions until about this time despite their reveal heavy cycle, so it's not like SwSh is exactly behind in schedule by any means, mostly just volume of reveals.

Now I'm definitely not defending some of the shittier decisions that Gamefreak is making with the cuts and such, but I don't see what previous reveal cycles have/had to add over what we're getting here.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #207
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miror View Post

but like...it's still Pokemon. You should know exactly what to expect when you're purchasing it for the most part, and you'll have all the information you need by a day or two after release at the latest as people like Serebii power through the game. So unless you're a religious pre-orderer, I'm unsure why not knowing more about the game at this stage is an issue? Hell, even in the Sun/Moon cycle, we didn't get the first set of starter evolutions until about this time despite their reveal heavy cycle, so it's not like SwSh is exactly behind in schedule by any means, mostly just volume of reveals.
SS is supposed to be a revolutionary game that re-energizes enthusiasm for the franchise. This is coming off a number of negative things during-after the promo campaign of SM, such as:

-the increasing importance of Pokemon Go, Ga-Ole and Masters
-the disappointing release of USUM and LGPE
-competition from Mario, Zelda, and Smash
-the collapse of the XYZ anime where Ash lost the Kalos League

A run-of-the-mill Pokemon game that goes through cuts, like ORAS, would be the the opposite of what people want to see out of SS. And the promo material has done little to change that perception of the game.

The irony is that this is a huge contrast with all other Pokemon media, including the anime.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #208
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

A revolutionary game that re-energizes enthusiasm for the franchise? They tried that with SMUSUM and it went flat on its arse. The issue is that SwSh is shaping up to be SM again: A reinvention of the franchise that actually changes nothing.

Also, masters? That thing's been dead since a couple of weeks after launch. It's a shitshow. It's not relevant at all. And I've never even heard of this Ga-Ole shit.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #209
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

SS is nothing like SM. SM changed a lot from ORAS. SS isn't going to change anything from SM, or if it does it'll just roll back the changes to ORAS. Depending on your interpretation, that might be a step back, let alone a step forward.

In any matter, the GameInformer interview, which revealed the late development of SS into a UK-themed region, should settle once and for all that SM was intended to be the revolutionary Switch-debut Pokemon game. I've been saying that for like 3 years now.

The number of changes, the throwbacks to Generation I, and the build up of a unique culture for the region all speak of a more ambitious project than what we ultimately got. And SM got a half-arsed release due to GameFreak just being a genuinely garbage game developer.

Remember that GameFreak essentially abandoned Pokemon Z to rush out SM, and then released USUM (essentially a patch or DLC-update content) a year later, marketed as new games. The interview with Tetsuo Yajima (the director for Pokemon XY) which admitted GF said they were moving on to a new region in October 2015, so they had to finish the XY anime in a year.

This was before Pokemon Go, so there was no external pressure for them to answer another developer's success.

I mean, Zygarde Cells are the postgame for SM. Come on, if that doesn't speak to a troubled developer, I don't know what is.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #210
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat
Thunder Badge

I know my camp's been abandoned and left for dead, and it's just me sitting alone waving colorful little flags with Sobble on them, but even with everything we know I'm still on Team Recklessly Positive Enthusiasm. Hate me, call me a child, I'm freakin' excited.
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #211
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat View Post
I know my camp's been abandoned and left for dead, and it's just me sitting alone waving colorful little flags with Sobble on them, but even with everything we know I'm still on Team Recklessly Positive Enthusiasm. Hate me, call me a child, I'm freakin' excited.
I'm pretty optimistic, too. I'm really looking forward to SwSh, I've been slowly planning out my team (only definites thus far are Scorbunny, Rolycoly, and the Gulp Missile fish, with Weezing and Vanilluxe looking extremely likely as well), I even took a few days off work so I can play as soon as it comes out.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #212
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm expecting an average game that 4chan is going to force into being the worst game ever, but it doesn't work because the game is as inoffensive as possible. But the regressed sales from LGPE is going to have enormous ripple effects anyway, leading to departures at GameFreak (say, Takao Unno to DeNA) which sends the fanbase into panic mode.

You caaaaaan put that on the board.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #213
Thunder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
I'm pretty optimistic, too. I'm really looking forward to SwSh, I've been slowly planning out my team (only definites thus far are Scorbunny, Rolycoly, and the Gulp Missile fish, with Weezing and Vanilluxe looking extremely likely as well), I even took a few days off work so I can play as soon as it comes out.
My team is shaping up to be Sobble, Arcanine, Mimikyu, Chandelure, and either Noivern or Vikavolt, for sh*ts and giggles.

EDIT: Oh, and Drednaw.

Cy, Bug Trainer

FB Profile
Old 10-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #214
lapisora
Pokemon Trainer

I have quite a few qualms about Game Freak's development process, but my impression of the game has leveled out to neutral now that the Dexit uproar has mostly blown over. There's a few good things we've seen from the trailers already - they're bringing back regional forms and giving evolutions to old Pokemon. That being said, it's depressing that Pokemon, despite its potential, is mostly staying the same when other Nintendo franchises have produced Game of the Year contenders. Reintroducing things like the Battle Frontier alongside newer trends such as post-game story episodes would be make a great game for me.

...Just put more content into your games, Game Freak!
lapisora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #215
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miror View Post

I mean, is not knowing much about the game a problem? Like, with the Sun/Moon cycle, they revealed virtually every new Pokemon before the game even released, leaving very little to be discovered if you were paying attention to the news. Now, backing away from too frequent/bulky announcements to this extent might not be the answer either, but like...it's still Pokemon. You should know exactly what to expect when you're purchasing it for the most part, and you'll have all the information you need by a day or two after release at the latest as people like Serebii power through the game. So unless you're a religious pre-orderer, I'm unsure why not knowing more about the game at this stage is an issue? Hell, even in the Sun/Moon cycle, we didn't get the first set of starter evolutions until about this time despite their reveal heavy cycle, so it's not like SwSh is exactly behind in schedule by any means, mostly just volume of reveals.

Now I'm definitely not defending some of the shittier decisions that Gamefreak is making with the cuts and such, but I don't see what previous reveal cycles have/had to add over what we're getting here.
I've always gone into the new games blind. This time, due to all the controversy and drama I'm looking into stuff released early to see if I should get the game or not. But... there's not much shown at all. Kinda what going off dopple said, back during the Lets go Pika/Eevee days, Gamefreak made statements like "Dont worry, this game is for Go fans! The hardcore fans will enjoy the new switch title!" and then pull this shit. There's no hype because people have had their spirits broken and there's nothing good to show for it.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #216
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
So Galarian ponyta's been confirmed...

...as a fucking psychic type. And it's Shield exclusive.

They couldn't even do the most obvious thing correctly. What a goddamn mess.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #217
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post

I changed my mind. This promo campaign, this generation, and this region is epic. Hahahaha.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #218
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Anyone else notice that Galarian Ponyta is the Unique Horn Pokémon?

Unique Horn.

Unicorn.

That pun is beautiful.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #219
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post

Oh shush
Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #220
Thunder Badge

Ponyta is ok, I'm just hoping for starter evolutions sometime.

Cy, Bug Trainer

FB Profile
Old 10-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #221
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Anyone else notice that Galarian Ponyta is the Unique Horn Pokémon?

Unique Horn.

Unicorn.

That pun is beautiful.
I think that was the logic behind Durant getting the "True Ant" category, since its ability was Truant.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #222
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

I mean, as was pointed out on Discord, a unicorn being weak to poison doesn't overly work. Their horns neutralise poison, purify water and heal wounds (Well, in the mythos from which they were invented) so them being weak to the very thing they counteract is kind of questionable.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #223
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
I mean, as was pointed out on Discord, a unicorn being weak to poison doesn't overly work. Their horns neutralise poison, purify water and heal wounds (Well, in the mythos from which they were invented) so them being weak to the very thing they counteract is kind of questionable.
That's why I was thinking it was going to be a baller Ghost type Pokemon, since Ghost actually resists Poison rather than Psychic being neutral to it. Oh well, it looks neat, interested in seeing what they do with Rapidash though. Because again, like I was expected like blue flame/ghosty/four horseman of the apocolypse looking kind of Rapidash at first but if it's Psychic type maybe they'll just give it a surfboard like Raichu lol
Old 10-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #224
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Rapidash could be the Psychic/Fairy type. Would be a bit boring after Gardevoir and Tapu Lele, but there's precedent, no? Alolan Vulpix isn't a Fairy, but Ninetales is.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #225
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Why did it take me so long to realize that Sobble's Galar dex number is 007?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News