UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Martz
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Martz Send a message via MSN to Martz
DC Comics Thread

Okay everyone, so while I keep rambling on about DC Comics in the "superheros" thread, figured I would just make one for it because it's something I'm really into as well as other peoples I'm sure.

So talk about what comics your reading, shows your watching and the whatnot.

I'm currently watching Young Justice on the DC Nation Block of Cartoon Network. It's on at 10:30a most Saturdays but has since been pushed back to January.

I find myself reading the New 52 as well as some older comics. Court of Owls was pretty interesting in my opinion. Just started Green Arrow and the Quiver storyline. Or why don't I just make a list.

Reading:

Green Arrow: Quiver
New 52: Earth 2
New 52: Nightwing
New 52: Batman / Batman & Robin
Smallville Season 11
Batman Beyond (2012-)
Superman Beyond (2012-)
Justice League Beyond (2012-)
Will name more later

Hiatus from reading:
New 52: Batwing / Detective Comics / Catwoman
Robin (1993-2009)
Others I can't remember

Watching:
Young Justice: Seasons 1 & 2 (I own them through iTunes)
Green Lantern: The Animated Series (Little bit)
I'd like to get into Batman: The Brave and the Bold but we'll see.

Have watched:
All of the DCAU (BTAS, STAS, Batman Beyond, JL, JLU)
10 Seasons of Smallville

I'm in the process of writing my own DCU as well. Still brain storming ideas as I read comics.
Martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Not a huge fan of DC myself, but I do on occasion watch Young Justice. The 1st season wasn't my favorite, but it's finale was amazing. And the second season was considerably better.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

I gave up on DC comics for reasons I believe I wrote in the superheroes thread already, but if not, I'm just tired. Tired of the big events, tired of the retcons, tired of their juvenile style of writing (Dan Didio has been quoted as saying that his writers are to write as if they are all doing fanfiction), the inconsistencies with their canon between separate books, etc.

Young Justice is good though. I like that it is constantly growing the mythology rather than trying to stay in stasis, but I feel like it moves too fast sometimes. I really want to see Teen Titans make a return like I heard they were going to do with Teen Titans Go but I want it in the original style, not the chibi short style. I also want to see Super Best Friends Forever get it's own show. It's too good to stay a DC short.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Martz
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Martz Send a message via MSN to Martz
I look more into the quality of the story than anything. I could care less about the big events as long as it makes sense. To each it's own I suppose. Night of Owls was good in my opinion. Just starting to get into comics though, that was really my first cross over story arc that I kept up with. Kinda a meh ending to the whole thing but I thought it was interesting. Death in the Family is looking to be pretty decent as well as the night of 10,000 jokers that going on in the Batman Beyond Universe.

Cartoon Network has pissed me off to no end with the hiatus of Young Justice. I want to see the season end in my lifetime, especially with the current story arc. I like how they take new and old and make it a refreshing experience to watch and have it make sense. A lot of the characters they seem to use are ones I've personally never heard of either like Sportsmaster, Artemis, the old version of Huntress.
Martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

For me, the quality of the previous stories have been impacted by the big events. The Killing Joke was reduced to a foot note by New 52. Who cares about the character development and maturation of Dick Grayson taking up the mantel of Batman when it never actually happened. How am I supposed to care about the relationships and growth that was previously written when writers of today spit on what was left behind. How am I supposed to keep track of things when writers can't keep New 52 origin stories themselves? Some writers say Tim Drake was Robin before he became Red Robin, others say he was always Red Robin to begin with. Which is it?! There is no excusing the abuse to the mythology that has been done in it's efforts to reinvent the D.C universe for casual audiences. This isn't a "to each his own" situation, it's how much respect do you see being given to what came before and please be honest! If you haven't been around for what was before, then congratulations, New 52 is just the thing for you!

Imagine reading The Hobbit. For years, that has been one of your favorite stories ever, you loved Bilbo and the dwarves and couldn't wait for more. Then the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the RIng comes and you love those characters even more as well as how it built off of the last story. Then along comes Two Towers, written by a couple of dinguses with overinflated egos and rewrites the stories of The Hobbit and Fellowship by saying "Hey, remember how Bilbo and those dwarves went off to get the treasure back from the dragon? Well, the Dwarves were actually penguins that wanted a mountain of fish, Bilbo never found a ring and Smaug was in fact a sexy lady that Bilbo made it with and birthed Frodo from. You would go crosseyed and wondered how bad the crack those writers smoked before writing that! You still have the Hobbit and Fellowship of the Rings with you, but what the hell matters with those stories anymore? The characters have been bastardized and all future stories are going to be based off of this horrible nonsense. You can never cosign to any future installments of the Lord of the Rings saga or any stories from middle earth any more until someone goes back and says "THAT SHIT NEVER HAPPENED!"

I'm just waiting till the next big reboot that makes everything go back to the way it was, which sounds like that's the way it's going to be heading with Grant Morrison bringing back the Multiverse. Stephanie Brown is Batgirl again (it'd be fine if Stephanie Brown existed at all), there are 2 Batmen, Clark Kent isn't an angry activist blogger, Harley Quinn isn't the supervillain tricycle, and writers got a handle on where characters came from and where they are going together.

Last edited by Kori Gotcha; 11-27-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Kori Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Yeah, the New 52 has been handled really poorly and there has been so many problems with they way they have been treating characters and what used to be their history. The only actually good things to come out of it are Batwoman and Bunker, and being minorities they will probably be killed off come the next event.

Also they keep giving Liefeld books. Why do they do that, he is fucking horrible and really shouldn't be getting work anymore but somehow still does.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

Liefeld made a lot of friends in the 90's. Now we're all paying for it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Loki

You guys summed up a lot of my gripes with DC. Unfortunately, the New 52 wasn't designed for old readers, it was designed to get new readers. I know that sounds weird, but after going to comic con last October, I met a lot of young readers who just started and love the New 52 because they think its easier to keep track of something after a reset instead of looking up some 75(?) years of comic writing. It's a smack to old reader's faces, but I'm betting DC is thinking the number of new readers is offsetting the digruntled old readers. While I'm not in love with Marvel Now, I do think it was a better move than New 52.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

I never wanted to go back into the silver age either. Really, the most I've ever gone back into comic continuity was Crisis on Infinite Earths and dipping back further when I felt like a character or story line leads were worth looking deeper into. I wouldn't think it would be fair to look up 75 years of history just to keep up with continuity, but there are ways to get new readers and keep older readers and not have to go with alienate one or the other. Write good, quality stories with respect to what came before and with good art work and people will appreciate it as well as gain interest in what came before. With the way things went with Batgirl in New 52, how many of these new readers are missing out on reading The Killing Joke because, as far as they know, there were no consequences or life changing events that happened from it?

It is true that D.C only cares about the numbers, not the quality, so if they are getting a new batch of readers that are offsetting the older fans, it is great for them and will unfortunate set this as the status quo, which is why I am also leaning more towards collecting Marvel comics again over D.C when after years of going through event hell with marvel (which is stilling. Age of Ultron AND X-Terminate. joy) I was starting to side with D.C.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
Loki

I don't have any hard numbers, but just from talking to people at NYCC, most of the older generation didn't care for it and a lot of the newer generation were more enthusiastic about it.

DC doesn't completely forget about the fans of their old works, but they pretty much only do it to milk money out of them. Before Watchmen I believe was the name. It was supposed to be a prequel to Watchmen, possibly one of the best comics ever. It generated a lot of excitment. Then we realized Alan Moore had nothing to do with it. And then Alan Moore said DC did it to take our money. And then it came out and people said it sucked. So yeah. They remember when they need us to pay them for ass.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment