UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Am I an alcoholic?

One of my favourite drinks is soymilk + vanilla extract - it's probably my second most consumed drink next to water. However, the vanilla extract is 35% ethanol by volume, which would be equivalent to 70 proof (comparison - vodka typically starts at 70 proof). When I drink soymilk, I pour it into a "malt glass", which is a brimmed, ridged plastic cup that holds about eight fluid ounces. I put anywhere from two to seven drops of vanilla extract into this concoction.

In general, I'm against ethanol consumption but I make an exception for the soymilk since I put so little into it, and it's only used for a flavouring (when I cook with wine, I always make sure to exaporate all the ethanol). What I'm worried about is, I'm drinking what I feel to be a lot of glasses per day - one tetra brick of soymilk is a quart, and I've been drinking up to two and a half quarts per day. Counting up, four glasses per quart (typically) times two and a half, times seven. About 70 drops total consumed by night time, 3.5 ml of vanilla extract.

Is this enough to get an alcohol addiction from? My consumption of soymilk is at one of my highs (the last time I drank this much was winter last year) but it's consumed over the course of the day and is complimented by a gallon or so's worth in water.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Am I an alcoholic?

The good news is, vanilla extract may contribute towards preventing cancer as caused by dioxygen free radicals.
The bad news is, vanilla extract -- by that same mode of operation -- may contribute towards weakening your immune response to a variety of infectious agents.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to vanilla.
(source)

As for the alcohol bit, as you yourself explained, seven drops of 70 proof anything is pretty teeny-tiny. That's like taking a Smirnoff ("ladies' drink") and dropping seven tear-sized droplets into your mouth. But as you also explained, you don't stop at just one glass. By the end of the day, you're saying you've consumed 70 drops, and that you do this daily. Still, by your own arithmetic, 70 drops comes out to 3.5 mL. That's like nothing, still.

You will die a horrible, painful death from Type II diabetes well before you will develop cirrhosis of the liver when it comes to your addiction to Silk.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I don't think you are. If anything, you are addicted to the taste and not the actual alcohol. If you drank it all of the time because it gave you a buzz (which Suigin clearly said isn't enough to do that), then you are. I will give a similar example from me.

I ALWAYS drink DDPs (Diet Dr. Pepper). Every time I go to a gas station, I buy a 20 oz. Hell, I have bought a 2 liter and drank it in less than an hour. Now, it's not because I'm addicted to caffeine, but because I find it to be delicious (and because I am always insanely thirsty. Damn you Type 1 Diabetes!). I can easily do without DDPs for several weeks and switch to Sprite Zero or Diet Sunkist (both drinks with no caffeine.) I mean, I will miss the taste, but that's it (of course, caffeine buzzes really do help me get through work, even though I usually end up talking in weird voices and chasing animals).
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

The sugar content in soymilk is surprisingly low, actually. The regular has more sugar than the vanilla kind (not my vanilla variant, the pre-made stuff) but it's very, very, very small. A typical candy bar has several times the dosage. I'm moving away from sugar + ungulates in my diet anyway, with the hope I'll never get diabetes.

Cirrhosis is of greater concern since alcoholism runs in my family; both my grandfather and great grandfather died of acute liver failure.

And I'm deathly afraid of [Aspartame], I won't even touch diet sodas anymore, or even sugar-free gum.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Aspartame.

*signs back out*
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Did you ever get tipsy from drinking your soy milk concoction? Ever woke up with a hang over? Do you find yourself peeing a lot after drinking it? Did you ever wake up in bed with someone's hairy balls on your face?

If you said yes to any of these questions, then you might just be an alcoholic.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc