UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:32 PM   #4726
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

The thing with Xyz is that, unlike the other summoning methods, it actually requires homogeneity to work. In other words, it's more consistent simply because the ideal way to use it is for all of your cards to be the same. Synchro requires a Tuner and a non-Tuner, Pendulum requires a high Scale and a low Scale (and has no initial payoff), Fusion speaks for itself, and I've written entire essays on how terrible a mechanic Ritual is.

That said, Xyz is notable for having the least combo potential of all Summoning Methods. With Synchro Monsters, you can use their effect and then use them as material for another Synchro Summon (if they would actually release more Synchros with notable one-shot toolbox effects). If you have a consistent way to bounce Poly or otherwise fuse multiple times in one turn, Fusion has similar potential. The entire reason Xyz Monsters have Ranks instead of Levels is likely exactly to prevent this.

Furthermore, I always say that Constellar and Fire Fist are the best examples of what Xyz archetypes should strive towards- The ability to access a variety of Ranks (through Level Alteration or otherwise) (ironic, when you consider that FF is also a Synchro archetype and the most cancerous Xyz in existence does technically have the Constellar name). It would be nice if the card makers would invest more in this kind of Xyz Archetype rather than Tellar-style R4nkspam (although I can write an essay on why 4 was the chosen Rank to receive all the support).

That said, RR is a nice and interesting step: While a R4nk archetype on the surface, their ridiculous variety of Rank-Up-Magics have at long last granted them consistent enough access to practically every Rank above 4 (and if we get the one that copies levels, we'll be able to consistently attain 3, too).
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:02 AM   #4727
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Dinomist Spinos
Level 5 WATER Machine-Type Pendulum Effect Monster
ATK 2500
DEF 1800
Scale: 3
Pendulum Effect
(1) If another “Dinomist” card(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or an opponent’s card effect, you can destroy this card instead.
Monster Effect
(1) You can Tribute 1 other “Dinomist” monster, then activate 1 of these effects;
• This card can attack directly this turn.
• This card can attack twice during each Battle Phase.
T-Rex wasn't quite OTK enough for a deck of MECHADINOS, so, here, now we have a monster that can direct attack for 2500 damage or double attack with that same ATK. Sweet. If they didn't mistranslate it you can tribute 2 Dinos to resolve both effects. Pretty sure "5000 direct damage" makes Dinomist a bit better. :3

(We also got a Trap but that's not really worth mentioning tbh)

EDIT: Having checked the source, there does in fact appear to be no mistranslation.
Quote:
①:このカード以外の自分フィールドの「ダイナミスト」モンスター1体をリリースし、以下の効果から1つを 選択して発動できる。
●このターン、このカードは直接攻撃できる。
●このターン、このカードは1度のバトルフェイズ中に2回攻撃できる。
Time to go Jurassic. Have I mentioned how much I appreciate the carnivores "eating" the lesser dinos to gain their effects? Because that is a cool thing.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 11-25-2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #4728
Princess Ana
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Ana
That new dino is ridonk holy shit.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #4729
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post

That said, Xyz is notable for having the least combo potential of all Summoning Methods. With Synchro Monsters, you can use their effect and then use them as material for another Synchro Summon (if they would actually release more Synchros with notable one-shot toolbox effects). If you have a consistent way to bounce Poly or otherwise fuse multiple times in one turn, Fusion has similar potential. The entire reason Xyz Monsters have Ranks instead of Levels is likely exactly to prevent this.
What I've found is toolboxing isn't really the way to go anymore (for the Extra Deck), despite it being the thing a couple years ago. It's much more effective to spam one single unstoppable power play (like Trishula) and oppress the opponent's draws, rather than try to come up with a specific counter to their field.

Rank 4 is insanely stupid, but I fear it less now in non-Rank 4 centric decks like Clownblade, because doing so likely ends the ability to put constant pressure on the opponent. Using 101 to capture Dark Law isn't the end of the world because I lost Dark Law, but rather because I don't have the resources to make another play, given my deck.

But toolboxing the main deck, as Nekroz demonstrated, is much stronger. My deck is especially built for playing second because a 1:1 after the opponent has committed benefits the offensive player.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #4730
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

It's true that toolboxing trades away having powerful bosses, but I think we can all agree it's worked well enough for R4nk.dek. :3

Toolboxing the main deck works for Nekroz and similar decks because of their high search power, but in other decks it's pointless because then you deaddraw the pieces when you don't need them and don't draw them when they are needed. The entire power of R4nk is that their toolbox is in the extra and is all accessible with the same requirements, something obviously less available in non-Xyz decks. But what I'm getting at with the "toolbox Synchro" was more the cards that you tune away immediately afterwards; So if, for example, Tatsunoko had the effect "Once per turn, you can target 1 face-down card your opponent controls; banish it.". Things which you fire off once and then continue on your combo. That said, I think Red Wyvern is a sign we might start going this direction, so I guess we'll just have to see what's in the cards. ^_^
Quote:
Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #4731
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm telling you, going first is the worst possible thing unless you open godly.

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #4732
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

But Mistake really is an auto-scoop type card now. Very excellent, even if I'm sacrificing a lot when it comes to protecting my fields (without MBAAS).

I've also noticed it feels more effective to, when possible, send Shaddoll Beast to the grave instead of Shaddoll Dragon, and hope to draw Twin Twister, rather than send Dragon to take out the backrow.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #4733
Princess Ana

Spirit of the Tailwind
Level 4 / WIND
[Fairy-Type ATK 1800/DEF 900]
①: If this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 Flip Monster from your Deck to your hand.

oh hey a shaddoll searcher and you know everything else. I love this.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #4734
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Snap, I never thought to look into the Flip Effect Monster status of the Shaddolls.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #4735
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Alright you cats, try and figure out how I beat Raff and Durendal with a Monster heavy hand?

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #4736
Princess Ana

He Durendal'd and you drew Raigeki????
Old 11-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #4737
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I milled Jet Synchron with Tuning, and had two Doppelwarrior in hand. I sent Maxx "C" for Jet Synchron, and tuned with Doppelwarrior to make Tatsunoko and two tokens.

He then activated Rafflesia, sending Space-Time Trap Hole, but because of Tatsunoko's second, never used ability (unaffected by monster effects) he just burnt her use. So then, he chained Bottomless Trap Hole to Rafflesia, which prevented Durendal from stopping me, too.

I deliberately played it like that because of the earlier stuff demonstrated he was a newbie with the deck. And to be fair to him, Tatsunoko's immunity has never benefited me before now, and I'm not sure I would have paid attention to it myself.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #4738
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So what would have been the best play here?

He Pendulum Luster and Magician. The best option is either Warning the Pendulum Summon, or chain Mistake to Magician's effect.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #4739
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Monarch decks famously don't run MST.

And because of how Tribute Summons worked, I felt fairly confident when I drew Warning, Vanity and Mistake that I could win this one out. I had two set Twin Twisters too...so I basically obliterated his field. My next draw was Hand Destruction (after sending Shaddoll Beast), so I would have sniped two more cards of his, leaving him with 5 in deck, four in hand, with the single set and his field spell out. Mithra would be in his hand.

Granted, if I didn't kill him that turn, I would have probably lost via deck out or through LP, but eh. That was the risk I took.

EDIT: Here's his banish zone -

Based on his discards, I can safely assume what he had remaining in-deck or in hand (and set):

2 Idea
2 Eidos
1 Stormforth
2 March
1 Dominion
1 Prime
1 Aither
1 Reinforce Truth
2 Return

Anyone else give it a shot?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 11-26-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #4740
Princess Ana

PP18-JP005 Stardust Charge Warrior
Level 6 WIND Warrior-Type Synchro Effect Monster
ATK 2000
DEF 1300
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
The (1) effect of “Stardust Charge Warrior” can only be used once per turn:
(1) When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can draw 1 card.
(2) This card can attack all Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls, once each.

This is actually pretty interesting. It could stand to have a little more ATK but good for comboes.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #4741
Princess Ana

How is Konami still getting away with all the Star Wars references?

BOSH-EN082 Kozmo Tincan
Level 1 LIGHT Psychic-Type Effect Monster
ATK 0
DEF 0
During either player’s turn: You can banish this card; Special Summon 1 Level 2 or higher “Kozmo” monster from your hand. You can only use this effect of “Kozmo Tincan” once per turn. Once per turn, during the End Phase: You can pay 500 LP; reveal 3 “Kozmo” cards with different names from your Deck, your opponent randomly picks 1 for you to add to your hand, and you send the rest to the Graveyard.

BOSH-083 Kozmo Soartroopers
Level 3 DARK Psychic-Type Effect Monster
ATK 1000
DEF 1000
During either player’s turn: You can banish this card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or higher “Kozmo” monster from your hand. YOu can only use this effect of “Kozmo Soartroopers” once per turn. Once per turn: You can pay 1000 LP, then target 1 Psychic-Type “Kozmo” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it.

BOSH-EN084 Kozmo Delta Shuttle
Level 5 DARK Machine-Type Effect Monster
ATK 2000
DEF 2000
Once per turn: You can send 1 “Kozmo” monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, then target 1 face-up monster on the field; it loses ATK and DEF equal to the sent monster’s Level x 100. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower “Kozomo” monster from your Deck.

BOSH-EN085 Kozmo Dark Eclipser
Level 9 DARK Machine-Type Effect Monster
ATK 3000
DEF 2600
Cannot be targeted by an opponent’s card effects. During either player’s turn, when a Trap Card is activated: You can banish 1 “Kozmo” monster from your Graveyard; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card. If this card is destroyed by battle or by card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 Level 8 or lower “Kozmo” monster from your Deck to your hand.

BOSH-EN086 Kozmojo
Normal Trap Card
Target 1 “Kozmo” monster you control; destroy it, and if you do, banish 1 card your opponent controls or in their Graveyard. You can only activate 1 “Kozmojo” per turn.

I hate the Trap by the way its the deck's version of Spellbook of Fate.

where is the Level 10 Death Star I know its coming
Old 12-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #4742
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Believe it or not, the worst card to face now (I think) is the Raidraptor Counter Trap, which negates Spells/Traps but nothing else. It's a pain to see Twin Twister negated, even though MST in a similar situation is probably no different.

As powerful as that trap is, I think it's balanced in the sense that Kozmo can't chain to it, or else it can't be destroyed, and the grave is the worst place for Kozmos (aside from the deck). If they're banished, they're easy to recycle with Kozmotown.

Kozmotown and the Super Quantum Field Spell seem to be heralds of a new era of broken field spells.

Also blaze, know any way to make Ferret Flames live consistently, aside from dropping Soul Charge? It's probably one of the best traps available right now, if its conditions are met.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #4743
Princess Ana

I have no idea how to use Ferret Flames lmao. It's kind of a counter Gorz but its difficult to use. Chicken Game maybe?

Quote:
As powerful as that trap is, I think it's balanced in the sense that Kozmo can't chain to it, or else it can't be destroyed, and the grave is the worst place for Kozmos (aside from the deck). If they're banished, they're easy to recycle with Kozmotown.
Why exactly would they chain when all they are going to do is target the ships to get the floater effects?
Old 12-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #4744
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's stupid that the ships banish from the graveyard. And is that trap non-targeting?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #4745
Princess Ana

Yes. Hence why its the deck's Spellbook of Fate :p
Old 12-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #4746
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I summoned Quasar and Stardust, with a set 5, and lost to this guy:

This was one of the few times where I feel I earned the loss, since I got my own loop off but failed to reach one of several win conditions:

-I didn't banish any cards in hand, field or grave, which helped him loop his cards
-I didn't Raigeki his field, which gave him materials to loop later
-I didn't summon Dark Law, who is a win condition against Mermail

On pure card advantage terms, I was elite. I had four cards in hand, a set five, and Quasar/Stardust. He had four cards in hand, one set, and three monsters out.

Neptabyss is once per turn, but none of the other Mermail are. Without a floodgate such as Mistake or Vanity, I was at a disadvantage sporting BTS and Warning. The sheer number of effects this guy was able to dump in one turn WITHOUT Soul Charge was mind boggling.

Losing with Quasar is nominally embarrassing, because likely this guy will go parading around that he did so, but I know my deck and I dead-ended into Quasar because I couldn't successfully make Trishula. Usually how it works is: make Trishula, Level Eater Trishula and go through the subordinate loop, end in Phonon and make Quasar WITH Dark Law out.

Since I pitched Raigeki in the beginning of the game, Megalo is big enough to run over Durendal and most of my other monsters, making it difficult to run him over without Raigeki. I faced this problem with this field:

-Superheavy Samurai Musashi
-T.G. Hyper Librarian
-Stardust Dragon
-Jet Synchron in Grave (unusued)
-Level Eater in Grave
-Nine cards in hand

There was no right move. I could have made Trishula using Stardust, drew another card and if I got Dark Law, gone into Durendal, or gone into Durendal to refresh my hand to draw Dark Law. But I didn't want to lose Durendal or Dark Law to a Megalo, and I drew very heavy on Twin Twister with his Abyss-Sphere as the only defense.

The former - that is, going for the banish cards at all cost, and not sitting on the passive if beefy negator - was the right move, in retrospect. I should always focus on this, that Quasar is an OTK enabler only, or something one calls on to finish off a weakened opponent.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #4747
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This was balling.

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #4748
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This was brutal:

The card I decided to use as my swing card was Bright Black Wave: I figured I summon Durendal often enough it should be handy. In this game, it was.

This guy was criticizing me for "not fighting against Ghostricks" and he's right...I attacked his hand and tried to loop him. What deck he hand didn't really matter at all.

I'm pretty sure he cheated though. Somehow he had 7 cards in hand, and I used Omega, Dark Law and BBW to clear his field. I had so much advantage though, I didn't care.

In that last bout, I had a set Twin Twister, so if he had sets his sets would have been roast by the next turn. If he had monsters, I could sacrifice Musashi to kill his face down, so long as it could die from battle.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #4749
Princess Ana

What have you been using Musashi for anyways? I know you were considering it but I'm not sure why. Reusing Accel Synchron perhaps?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #4750
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Bingo, Accel Synchron is my #1 target. The #2 target would be Formula or Unknown. Since Musashi can be a +0 or a +1 on summon, I think it's slightly better than Armades given I do most of my field wrecking during M1.

Note that in the current build, I've again dropped Quasar: running two Bright Black Wave means I have to end in Durendal at some point. I might have to reconsider my Level 7 as well. As Kin suggested, something that drops an effect and leaves would be more ideal since Level 7 is either a dead-end solution or an intermediate. I almost never sit on Clear Wing now that I've dropped the My Body as a Shields.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment