UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Visionary Glade

Old 09-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Mew Souvenirs Divers d'OkikuMew

~ Placeholder First Post; not sure what to do with it but probably will do something after putting more stuff here lol ~
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Baby Steps

Baby steps, baby steps...

It is a mantra which Mélina repeated to herself in the last few days.

The reason why she suddenly stopped going on adventures, and even taking care of basic trainer chores, was a bit of a mystery, even for her. Sure, she still partake on a few events, went out to get groceries and on rare occasions dropped at some shops, but the woman would quickly slink right back to her establishment afterwards. She simply, suddenly, lost the urge of exploring the world. She tried reasoning it as it became too difficult for the woman in her mid thirties, in a "too old for this shit" kind of thing, but she realized that age has nothing to do with it, due to witnessing often people continuing their travels at her age, and even well through their old age. Perhaps her introverted nature has been pushed to another level? Perhaps, but strangely enough, ironically to her growing hermit habit, she feels less shy towards people. Just grew bored? It seemed like a piece of the puzzle felt missing related to that reason, as she longed for her days of adventuring, yet couldn't push herself to go back... until now.

The first nudge was when she had to move her Boutique from Fizziopolis to New Fizz City. Even in her hermit-like state, she realized a change was required: need of more space to accommodate both the influx of clients and the fact she was basically living there now, need of a location closer to the clientčle, and some political shenanigans which Mélina wasn't comfortable enough to stick around... all pushed her into not only moving to New Fizz City, but also to organize herself better and pushed her on doing something more productive.

Then came the Fizzmas in July event. She just wanted to help organize it at first, nothing special, but she felt... something. An urge to do more. With the help of her Pokémon (which were more than happy to see their trainer being more active), she went all out with the decorations and ambiance on her part. On their arrival, many trainers showed their appreciation to her hard work. Mélina felt proud, and realized how, when not feeling pressured, she do quite a bit.

And then there was this fateful night.

It started like every other normal one. Mélina slipping in her PJ's, brushing her teeth, drink a glass of water, told her Pokémon good night, and plopped into bed. Lay on her left, rolled on her back, then shifted on her right... whatever she did, she couldn't drift away to dreamland.

"Having a hard time to fall sleep? Is your mind wandering too far again?"

Mélina tensed up for a moment, startled by the familiar voice ringing in her head. "...Oh, hey Quest. You out of your Pokéball?" She rolled herself towards her cellphone - a Poryphone model she bought last year, to Glitch's delight and full approval - and turned its flashlight mode on, revealing the presence of the question mark shaped Unown. "Honestly my mind hasn't been running wild yet, but... I'm trying to figure out why I can't fall sleep."

"Is the temperature ok for you? Is there any lights bothering you? The weight of your blankets adequate? Did you hydrate yourself appropriately? Have you went to the bathr-"

"Yes, I did all that," she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Perhaps you have a headache?" A glass of water and a translucent turquoise pill floated towards the trainer, held by the Pokémon's telekinesis.

Mélina almost sighed in exasperation, but resisted due to their kindness. Even after a couple of years, she was still not used to their speaking habits, one which felt like constant probing... She lazily pushed herself to a sitting position. "...Thanks," she clasped on both the glass and the medicine, using the former to help swallow the latter.

"If it helps distracting you, mind if you listen to an odd personal request?" the Unown tilted.

"Hehe, 're-Quest'," she giggled to herself for a moment. "But uh, sure? What's up?"

"Do you remember when we first met? How I longed to wonder and question things?"

"Of course," she nodded, "got a good memory for things like that. You just wanted a quiet place wanting to think, and you ended up being stuck in that shrine room and causing quite a ruckus outside of it."

The Symbol Pokémon nodded. "Do you yearn for wondering and questioning things again? To wander, explore and discover?"

Mélina was startled a bit by the bluntness of the question. "I... I..." she sighed, with sadness lightly trembling her voice, "I don't know, Quest. I remember when I have met you in that shrine, with all these ancient inscriptions, how cool and fascinating they were, how I wanted to see more. I still do, but... I don't know, I don't feel the energy to do it anymore. I am feeling comfortable and safe in the Boutique, in New Fizz City... I can just look online for stuff other people discovered if I want to see new things..."

"...Doesn't it sound like the boutique has turned into your shrine, surrounded by clothing and concrete walls? Pending days upon days thinking and wondering, instead of getting the answers on your own?" The trainer just stared blankly at the Unown's unique eye, speechless. "Perhaps it is my turn to set you free? The world is terrifying and full of dangers, though aren't we, your Pokémon, there to protect you, as you lead us?"

"You..." she paused, overwhelmed by emotions. "...You're right," she leaned over the Psychic-type, held them into a hug, and started sobbing quietly. Quest froze for a moment, not accustomed to have that much physical contact, but relaxed and gently wrapped their "hook" behind their trainer's neck, as soon as they realized the comfort the gesture provided to both of them.

"...You may have given us purpose, which I am grateful for, but perhaps should I guide you to one? A goal? Would you... accept my request?"

Mélina hummed for a moment, dried her tears, pull them away, then nodded. "You mentioned it earlier. What's do you have in mind?"

"Do you know of my species' particularities and behavior?"

"On top of my head from what I've learned here and there, yeah. There's a bunch of forms of you, each a different letter... except for punctuation marks, like you are. One on their own cannot do much, but when working together they become a lot stronger, to the point that some legends say they can grant wishes or change the future." Her eyes concernedly widen. "...You're not thinking about-"

"While I don't want, yet alone need power, can't you blame me from being curious about meeting one of my own? Not just to experience our phenomena, but just to meet and discuss with one of the same species as mine, after being alone for... I don't know how long?"

The boutique owner tilted her head. "...I see where you're getting at. I'm not interested about the whole 'granting wishes and changing the future' thing, but... it would be cool to witness something like that. Plus, if anything goes like how I have found you, finding another Unown would be quite the adventure and discovery on its own."

Quest nodded. "Would it be possible that different forms have different quirks and temperament, related to what they represent? Perhaps they have different powers too?"

"If I go by your personality, I wouldn't be surprised their personality match their letter," Mélina snickered, "But I'm not sure about the different powers part. Hidden Power, even though it has a different type depending on the Pokémon, it's all a typical Unown in the wild can know... but maybe under a trainer, they can develop and have certain specialties?"

"Perhaps not only we should meet just another Unown, but finding all existing forms, and you could take them in to join us and train them, to test this theory?" Their eye glimmered in excitement. "How did that saying go again? 'Gotta catch them all'?"

The trainer burst into laughter. "Now where did you hear that one? Then again I shouldn't be surprised, it is said everywhere so I'm sure you picked it up somewhere... But... that's a lot to take in. It's a big job. There's like... 26 of 'em total? 28? That's gonna take a lot of traveling... and searching... and researching... not to mention, I don't know if I'm up to a thing like that. I haven't gotten out for so long, I must be rusty..."

"Maybe you should take your time?" they hover over her shoulder reassuringly. "Take your time to think about it, to research on the matter, to get used to go out as a trainer, to train us, and to finally go in an area to explore? All at your own pace?"

"At my own pace..." She is reminded of the speech she has done on her day of the 'Twelve Days of Fizzmas in July'. "Look, I'm not gonna jump right into this right away, but... I'm gonna think about it, that's a promise. I'm definitely not gonna rush in, I'll just go slowly but surely... Baby steps, baby steps... First thing first though, I'll try to get some sleep," she patted on top of Quest before she slipped back under her blankets. "Good night."

"Have a good night, ok?" the Unown waved before returning to their Pokéball.

And there, finally, Mélina managed to fall asleep, peacefully...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right on the next morning, even if it wasn't the best rest she had, Mélina felt more energetic. In the following days, while she still was a bit of a recluse, she worked harder at the Boutique, was a bit more chatty with clients and fellow trainers, cleaned up her storage, and even started to train her Pokémon properly again.

And soon, the trainer will finally feel at ease to go out properly into the world, and perhaps later, take on Quest's inquiry on a journey to know the Un(k)own...

Baby steps, baby steps...
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Visionary Glade